sleeping teenagers....

My DD needs a solid schedule for sleep. Is she doesn’t get it, she is a bear to be around. I find it best if she is awake by 8am, then gets to bed at a decent hour. When we have relaxed and let her set her own sleep and wake up to,ea, we found that she was always grumpy and not getting enough sleep.

So I guess I would say it depends on the child and how they handle their sleep.

Mine were allowed to sleep in to a degree, and for the first week or so after school was out they could sleep as long as they wanted. After that, they were usually up on their own by 8am or so.

They were not allowed to stay up till all hours, and even though there were relaxed bedtimes in the summer, we all had somewhat of a schedule. I never could go to sleep until my children were in bed - very few exceptions.
I’m the opposite, it’s very rare that any of my kids are in bed before me, heck they’re still up when I get up the first time to use the bathroom after I go to bed.

I have no idea what time my teens go to bed, I'm asleep way before they are. I do try to stay awake until my older kids get home, but the older I get them more impossible that is.
I saw that my 14 year old rented a movie on demand at 1:00 AM last night. He's got nothing going on today so I'll let him sleep.

They were not allowed to stay up till all hours, and even though there were relaxed bedtimes in the summer, we all had somewhat of a schedule. I never could go to sleep until my children were in bed - very few exceptions.

OMG by Jr. High I would be in bed before my daughter LOL and by high school all bets were off, if she was out at night and I was sleeping all I asked was that she wake me up to tell me she was home.

I let my dd sleep as much as she needs. She gets very cranky if she is woken up before she naturally wakes up. As she is getting older she has started to stay up later and sleep later. From all I have read and researched she needs more sleep and she does much better in school when she can sleep as much as she needs. We homeschool so I have no problem letting her sleep in until she wakes up.

Before I went back to work last week my daughter and I had the same schedule..we’re all night owls here. It wasn’t unusual for us to start binging something at midnight and sleep til noon the next day. This was when she had a part time job. Now that we’re both working full time hours, we’re a bit more reasonable lol

Mine stay up and sleep in occasionally on weekends. But they've always had day jobs in the summer that require earlier hours than their high school and college schedules. They hate it, but they like the pay check, so they just deal with getting up at 4 a.m.

OMG by Jr. High I would be in bed before my daughter LOL and by high school all bets were off, if she was out at night and I was sleeping all I asked was that she wake me up to tell me she was home.
My dad worked different shifts so needed his sleep. My mom put an alarm clock by her door set for curfew. She went to bed and we had to turn the alarm off when we got home. My husband is a night owl so he just waited up for ours.

I have always been more of a morning person but my mom still let me sleep in as late as I wanted. She would ask if I wanted to be woken up though (I didn't use an alarm in high school mom would turn on the light and that would wake me up for school or alot of times I would be awake enough already to hear her coming up the stairs).

Now on days off I still rarely sleep past 9. ONly reason this is ever an issue is my husband will do the night owl thing still and our house accustics make it so noise in our kitchen transfers directly to the bedroom upstairs. So I end up waking him up sometimes cooking breakfast for myself. Right now with the air conditioner its actually much easier as that drowns out the noise.

It's kind of a mixture around here. I let ds14 sleep in to a certain point. But we still want a semi-normal schedule. I am not ok with staying up until 2 am when you are 14, and prefer to see the whites of his eyes around 10 am. Most of the summer he had LIT camp, or was with us on our 3 week road trip, or visiting family, so there wasn't a whole lot of lay around time. I'm ok with being carefree and I understand he's a kid and needs a break. But I also see no benefit in sleeping until 2 p.m. and sitting on the Xbox for the rest of the day. We try for a balance.

The reality is that school starts in just over a week, and he will have to be out at the corner for his bus at 7:20 am. That would come as a horrible shock to his system if he was sleeping all day.

Last edited:
During the summer I let our 14 year old sleep for as long as she needs to. As long as she was in her room and not being loud, I didn’t care how late she stays up. Our DS is almost 12 and a very early riser year round, so he has to be in bed no later than 9. If not, then he is an emotional wreck full of attitude all the next day.

During the school year I have no idea what time my teen is going to sleep. Not early enough, but it’s a battle I’m not going to fight. You can’t make someone go to sleep. As long as she gets up and gets to school on time, I’m leaving that one alone.

Hello, just wondering, do you let your tweens, teenagers sleep in during the summer? Or do you rise them up around mid-morning?
DD is 18. She usually works about three days a week give or take. On those days she gets up around 9:45. The rest of the week she usually sleeps until around 11:30 or so. Generally if she's not up by 12:30 or 1:00 pm I'll wake her up.

10am is the latest we let our 16 year old sleep. If she sleeps in too much she can't fall asleep that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter