So about this Hurricane - 10/7 Dream cancelled, 10/7 Magic Canadian, 10/8 now 10/9 Fantasy 6-night

I believe that DCL has always been the best for future discounts and such, refunds for partial sailings (like when a 7 night cruise leaves a day late and becomes a 6 night cruise). Seems Carnival hasn't made many decisions yet either. And in a couple of cases where the cruise is shorter, you get a pro-rated refund.

HURRICANE MATTHEW
HURRICANE MATTHEW
Weather Update – 10/05/16 – 2:30 PM (EST)

We continue to closely monitor the storm system and projected path of Hurricane Matthew and Tropical Storm Nicole which
has now developed in the Atlantic.

Carnival Conquest - 10/9/16 Departure
The Carnival Conquest cruise departing on Oct. 9 remains as scheduled at this time. Should any changes becomes
necessary, we will provide an update accordingly

Carnival Ecstasy – October 8 Departure
The Port of Charleston will likely be closed on Saturday and, as a result, Carnival Ecstasy is not expected to arrive until Sunday.
If the port re-opens on Sunday, we will operate a six-day cruise departing Sunday with an overnight stay in Nassau as well as a
call in Freeport, pending post-storm assessments of our destinations. Guest who sail will receive a pro-rated refund equal to the
amount of one day of their cruise fare as well as a refund for pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions for Grand Turk and Half
Moon Cay.
Refunds will be automatically processed to the original form of payment within three weeks. Gratuities will be
adjusted to reflect the shortened cruise.

We anticipate having another update available on Carnival Ecstasy’s itinerary on Saturday afternoon. We certainly understand
the impact this unexpected change has on your travel plans. Should you wish to cancel, you may do so with a full refund by
calling 1-800-CARNIVAL.

We anticipate having another update available on Carnival Ecstasy’s itinerary on Saturday afternoon. We certainly understand
the impact this unexpected change has on your travel plans. Should you wish to cancel, you may do so with a full refund by
calling 1-800-CARNIVAL.

Carnival Elation – 10/8/16 Departure
The Port of Jacksonville will close as of tomorrow morning. Carnival Elation’s arrival scheduled for Saturday may potentially be
delayed. We will remain in contact with port officials and update you accordingly as additional information becomes available.

Carnival Fantasy – 10/7/16 departure
PortMiami will be closed on Wednesday and Thursday. We remain in close contact with port officials regarding their plans to
reopen once the storm has passed. We anticipate a further update from port officials on Thursday and will update you
accordingly.

If the port reopens on Friday, we will operate the scheduled itinerary with an overnight call in Nassau, pending a post-storm
assessment of the port.

Carnival Glory - 10/8/16 Departure
The Carnival Glory cruise departing on Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary.
Should any changes becomes necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Magic – 10/8/16 Departure
The Carnival Magic cruise departing Oct. 8 remains as scheduled at this time. Should any changes become necessary, we will
provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Pride – 10/9/16 Departure
We are monitoring the storm very closely and will be in a position to let you know about any needed itinerary changes by
Saturday morning. Given our experience with hurricanes and their propensity for unexpected shifts, this time allows us the
opportunity to make the best decisions for your vacation once we have greater clarity on the timing of the forecasted track.

Carnival Sensation – 10/6/16 departure
PortMiami will be closed on Wednesday and Thursday. We remain in close contact with port officials regarding their plans to reopen once the storm has passed. We anticipate a further update from port officials on Thursday and will update you accordingly.

If PortMiami re-opens on Friday, we are currently planning for Carnival Sensation’s October 6th sailing to now depart on Friday, October 7th as a three-day cruise, visiting Nassau on Saturday for an overnight stay.

Guest who sail will receive a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one day of their cruise fare as well as a refund for pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions for Key West and Cozumel.
Refunds will be automatically processed to the original form of payment within three weeks. Gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the shortened cruise.

We certainly understand the impact this unexpected change has on your travel plans. Should you wish to cancel, you may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL.

Carnival Splendor – 10/8/16 Departure
The Carnival Splendor cruise departing Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary.
Should any changes become necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Sunshine - 10/8/16 Departure
The Carnival Sunshine cruise departing on Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s
itinerary. Should any changes becomes necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Valor – 10/8/16 Departure
The Carnival Valor cruise departing Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary.
Should any changes become necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Victory – 10/6/16 departure
Port Canaveral will be closed to all marine traffic as of noon today. If the storm track changes, we plan to operate a two-day cruise on Friday with a call to Freeport, subject to a post-storm assessment by port officials.

In the event we operate a two-day cruise, a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one day and pre-purchased shore excursions for Nassau will be processed to your original form of payment within three weeks. Gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

We certainly understand the impact this unexpected change has on your travel plans. Should you wish to cancel, you may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL.

We apologize for the tremendous inconvenience the storm is causing and thank you for your understanding.

Additionally, to stay up to date on any changes that may affect your sailing, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Sunshine 10/6 CCL1
Carnival Fantasy 10/7 CCL2
Carnival Magic 10/8 CCL3
Carnival Sensation 10/6 CCL4
Carnival Pride 10/9 CCL5
Carnival Valor 10/8 CCL6
Carnival Victory 10/6 CCL8
Carnival Elation 10/8 CCL9
Carnival Glory 10/8 CCL10
Carnival Splendor 10/8 CCL11
Carnival Conquest 10/9 CCL12

I want to book excusrsions for Canada. Will they open them? Or do I have to wait until I'm on the cruise??

Also what are the chances of room upgrades with people cancelling?

I did some research because I wanted to be prepared in case our cruise gets diverted to Canada. This web site really helped me out:

www.TomsPortGuides.com

Hopewell Rocks National Park in St. John NB looks cool. www.thehopewellrocks.com

Peggy's Cove in Halifax looks so pretty. Toms Port Guide is very detailed. Info about rental car places, walking tours, buses, maps etc..

Have a blast on your cruise! It may turn out to be the best one ever.

Does anyone know if in-room gifts are refundable? I had a birthday decoration package and an 1-day Rainforest for the 10/7 Dream.

Yup, Dream is still in Cozumel. Has anyone ever spent the night in a port? (assuming they are staying). Anything different other than the lack of motion? I assume they run the engines.

Yup, Dream is still in Cozumel. Has anyone ever spent the night in a port? (assuming they are staying). Anything different other than the lack of motion? I assume they run the engines.

We were overnight in Venice on RCCL Brilliance this summer. They ran what they needed to so we had power, but they were not doing anything to churn up the water. We were able to come and go as we pleased throughout the night - though the shuttles only ran to a certain point and after that you were on your own.

Of course, that was a planned overnight. I would GUESS it's the same for an unplanned/altered stop? But I don't know for sure.

Well, sort of. There is still power for lights, cooking, shows, whatever. Not really the engines, per se. I believe it's generators. Or they are hooked to shoreside power/water. That's one of the costs that ships incur when porting.

We did it on a med cruise once, missed Palma due to strikes so headed back to Barcelona early, was on the Magic actually. It was WEIRD sleeping on a ship that wasn't moving. It lost a bit of it's magic and charm.

Looks like the Dream and several other ships may be spending the night in Cozumel. Here's the pier Disney uses at Punta Langosta and the Dream is still there now along with another much smaller ship http://www.cozumelinsider.com/webcam. And the other 2 piers used by Carnival and Royal Caribbean also show several ships still there at http://www.cruisin.me/cruise-port-webcams/caribbean/cozumel-mexico.php. Maybe just staying later than usual?

I wonder if they may be hanging out later than usual waiting for additional supplies or something -- we already know the Dream plans to extend at least one day and possibly two (or more) with the current passengers.

I wonder if they may be hanging out later than usual waiting for additional supplies or something -- we already know the Dream plans to extend at least one day and possibly two (or more) with the current passengers.
Well, I don't think that DCL supplies at non-US ports (except for the Magic European cruises). I would think they went ahead and stocked extra (maybe like for the Fantasy) when she was at Port Canaveral.

Has anyone tried to book the Dream on 10/7 when they were NOT originally booked? I heard on another board that it was under 60% full...wondering if they are offering major discounts?

DCL did a horrible job on this one...

I was booked CL on the Oct 7th cruise. For the last couple days I've watched Port Canaveral evacuate, Port of Miami close, Cocoa hotels cancel, even the freaking parking lots were calling saying no go.

Airlines were offering cancellation two days ago. And when did DCL cancel? At 1700.

I belonged to a FB group for this cruise. There is currently a woman from South America who is stuck at a Miami hotel. Her husband's flight has been cancelled. She has to leave the hotel tomorrow. (It's being evacuated) She doesn't drive. No one can get her inland. DCL has effectively left this poor woman hanging because they were totally irresponsible in giving people real info.

Please take this as serious as I mean it. I live in Charleston ( and am currently also under evacuation) The same people who didn't know that alligators can live in man made lakes have NO idea what a hurricane can do. And they were coming because "Disney would take care of them". Guess what. They didn't. The did a poor, embarrassing job and should be ashamed.

Look like the Dream is on the move...so much for an overnight at Cozumel (though new to watching the marine traffic, so maybe I'm reading it wrong)

Well, sort of. There is still power for lights, cooking, shows, whatever. Not really the engines, per se. I believe it's generators. Or they are hooked to shoreside power/water. That's one of the costs that ships incur when porting.

Cruise ship engines are connected to power generators. When in motion, that power is used on electric motors to provide propulsion, by turning the props. When in port, they shut down some of the engines as the power draw is lower. But that is where the power comes from at all times.

Just updated the webcam and the Dream has now gone. So my question was moot. But thanks for the answers. They now have two days to sail around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter