So my neighbor whom i consider a friend...

desamnik

DIS Veteran
told our other neighbor about an incident that my DH saw the wife do.

We all drive to the end of the street for the bus stop. This woman is always in a big rush and drives to fast. My husband saw her hit a persons mailbox, then go to pull forward, and in error put the car in reverse and knocked the mailbox down. then she got out of her car, forgot to put it in park, car starts rolling, she jumps back in.

We told our neighbors, swore them to secrecy, had a little laugh about it, expressed mild concern about kids safety....blah blah blah...

So, now apparently they TOLD her what we told them, and her and her husband no longer wave to my husband, we live in a circle of two streets, everyone waves to each other when coming and going.

So my confidante confided in me that this other woman's dogs bit her one day, she swore me to secrecy. I never said a word, not sure which happened first, i think the mailbox incident.

I don't know if I'hormonal or what, but I really want to say to the neighbor, gee have your dogs bitten anyone else?

Course I don't want to start trouble either, but jeesh, when you say you won't say anything DON'T SAY ANYTHING!!

just wanted to get that out, so I don't say it out loud lol.

Those who gossip with you will also gossip about you. No surprise there, this has been true since grade school. Sounds like the kind of neighborhood crap I try my best to avoid. I'd learn a lesson, keep my trap shut, and get over it. Or you can jump in with both feet, make a snarky dog bite comment, sit back and wait for the crap to hit from both families being mad at you. Whatever you want.

How do you know your neighbor said something? Couldn't the wife have seen your husband see her and be very embarrassed about it?

Kinda brought this on with the gossiping IMO.

Drop the dog bite comment and move along.

"Don't tell anybody", doesn't work, the only way to prevent gossip is not gossipping ;).

Telling someone not to say anything is like throwing a piece of meat to a dog. Juicy juicy, it makes it more fun to tell. Now less about the gossip in the neighborhood and tell US more about this crazy neighbor. We all like a good crazy neighbor here on the dis, and this way, it wont get back to her.

This is probably why I don't talk to my neighbors. I know they all gossip and I'm not going to add to the information pool.

This doesn't sound like speculative gossip to me. It's simply something that happened in the neighborhood. Neighbor is embarrassed you saw.

Oh, please. "Don't tell anybody" means tell people who you think will get a laugh.

Also, see my tag.

How do you know your neighbor said something? Couldn't the wife have seen your husband see her and be very embarrassed about it?

This.

Are you absolutely sure your friend told the neighbor?

Or is this more gossip?

told our other neighbor about an incident that my DH saw the wife do.

We all drive to the end of the street for the bus stop. This woman is always in a big rush and drives to fast. My husband saw her hit a persons mailbox, then go to pull forward, and in error put the car in reverse and knocked the mailbox down. then she got out of her car, forgot to put it in park, car starts rolling, she jumps back in.

We told our neighbors, swore them to secrecy, had a little laugh about it, expressed mild concern about kids safety....blah blah blah...

So, now apparently they TOLD her what we told them, and her and her husband no longer wave to my husband, we live in a circle of two streets, everyone waves to each other when coming and going.

So my confidante confided in me that this other woman's dogs bit her one day, she swore me to secrecy. I never said a word, not sure which happened first, i think the mailbox incident.

I don't know if I'hormonal or what, but I really want to say to the neighbor, gee have your dogs bitten anyone else?

Course I don't want to start trouble either, but jeesh, when you say you won't say anything DON'T SAY ANYTHING!!

just wanted to get that out, so I don't say it out loud lol.
The rule.

Well, the way I see it, you have two choices:

1. Go over to her house for a visit and casually bring up that she and her husband seem to be upset with you two and find out what is going on.

or

2. Blow up this picture:
3tirl8.jpg

attach it to a post, and plant it in her front yard.

The choice is yours.

This is probably why I don't talk to my neighbors. I know they all gossip and I'm not going to add to the information pool.

I share very little in this neighborhood although we do chat occasionally. I don't have little kids so I am out of that loop.

OP, lesson learned. The first rule of how to spread gossip lightening fast is to say "don't tell anyone, but...." ;)

I am not so sure that this is 'gossip'.

The whole thing occurred right out in the open, for anyone to see.
And, yes, I do think that perhaps the general overall safety and concern for kids in the neighborhood is involved here.

It is not like... "So and so cheated on so and so..." or "So-and-so said this about so-and-so..." or "So-and-so said they might decide to to do this or that..." etc.

But, having said that, the other posters here are correct.
Those who DO gossip will gossip against you as well as gossip to you.

I have never, ever, participated in gossip...
Don't like it in neighborhoods, circles of friends, family, etc...
I try to avoid it like the plague!

I share very little in this neighborhood although we do chat occasionally. I don't have little kids so I am out of that loop.

OP, lesson learned. The first rule of how to spread gossip lightening fast is to say "don't tell anyone, but...." ;)

I had a neighbor that we liked but he turned out to be crazy. He got drunk and high on something one day and out of nowhere threatened to kill me then stalked me for a long time.

Well, the way I see it, you have two choices:

1. Go over to her house for a visit and casually bring up that she and her husband seem to be upset with you two and find out what is going on.

or

2. Blow up this picture:
3tirl8.jpg

attach it to a post, and plant it in her front yard.

The choice is yours.

I'm immature. I'd totally pick #2. :goodvibes

But really, I've seen signs in peoples yard that get very funny, very creative about picking up your pooches poop. Makes me giggle every time. Especially if they rhyme. :rotfl:

Maybe she's not waving because she's embarrassed. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter