Soarin' SB+ test...Fail

I know many have expressed a similar point of view already but, I had to throw mine in the hat.

Next April will be the first time my family has ever stayed at a Disney Resort. My wife and I have been to Disney many times, use to have APs many years ago but, we have never stay at a Disney Resort. I also haven't experienced the new FP+ system yet, the last time we went to Disney was in April of 2013, it was still the old system then.

I already don't like the idea of having to select FP+ 2 months in advance, we are not the type of family that wants to plan everything out down to the minute. We basically know which day we are going to each park, that's about it but FP+ is already giving me headaches and we are still 200+ days away. I have no idea what we are going to be in the mood to do when we finally get to a park. What if we wake up that first day and my kids decide they want to go to Animal Kingdom first, ruining my FP selection made 2 months earlier.

So, FP+ is enough of a pain and now Disney is pulling this SB+ junk! Talk about ruining a vacation if this becomes the next big thing. Next April we are only spending 4 days in the parks. I wish we could stay longer but, it is going to take all we can muster to afford this trip.

My rough plan for now is day 1 is MK, day 2 HS, day 3 split between AK in am/EP in pm, day 4 MK and anything else we may want to try and hit again. Day 3 is the headache day, I'm already having to decide which park to use our FPs on since you can't split them between parks. My idea was to get to AK early and hit the big rides right away and use FP for EP but, SB+ would mess that up. It would force us to go to EP in the am otherwise Soarin could be completely closed for us in the pm, even if we were willing to wait in a long line. That just sucks, this take choices away from guest and makes no since to me.

All this planning and FP+ and now SB+ also makes hopping less appealing, does Disney not care about selling hopper tickets? If SB lines are going to close then why bothering going to a second park in the afternoon when you have no chance to ride so, why bother buying hopper at all?

Sorry for rambling, I'm not even sure I made any sense but, I just don't like this planning down to the hour stuff. Our lives are on a schedule every single day, our vacation is suppose to be. I already miss the days of just showing up at the park and doing whatever you want, grabbing some FP tickets here and there and just taking your time. I haven't even experienced FP+ yet but I don't see myself liking it much. I'm gonna hate having rides scheduled at certain times and having to makes sure we don't get caught up doing something else and miss are times, this is more like work then a vacation. SB+ would basically ruin Disney for me, I'm just not going to go on a vacation where every hour must be planned out, I'd rather go sit on a cabin porch and stare at the mountains in Gatlinburg.

I'll be honest, I really miss the days when there was no FP at all and everyone just stood in the same line, it was so much easier and enjoyable IMO. Yes, there were long lines but, you were at a theme park, it was just part of the territory. I doubt many agree with me though.
I'm with you on so much of this. All of this pre-planning is a pain.

On that difficult day what if you plan your FP+ for Epcot and make it a point to get to AK at rope drop? I don't know what your priorities are but for us it's the Safari and Festival of the Lion King and Dinosaur. I THINK that we could do those in a morning without FP+ but of course things have changed so much that I could be wrong.

The tiering at Epcot is a pest but I believe that Test Track still has single rider if that would work for your group.

I know many have expressed a similar point of view already but, I had to throw mine in the hat.

Next April will be the first time my family has ever stayed at a Disney Resort. My wife and I have been to Disney many times, use to have APs many years ago but, we have never stay at a Disney Resort. I also haven't experienced the new FP+ system yet, the last time we went to Disney was in April of 2013, it was still the old system then.

I already don't like the idea of having to select FP+ 2 months in advanceunless your getting A+E most rides are available with some people even saying the night before or day of, we are not the type of family that wants to plan everything out down to the minute. FP+ is an hour return window with ability to move so very much flexible We basically know which day we are going to each park, that's about it but FP+ is already giving me headaches and we are still 200+ days away. If you know the park just schedule the harder to get rides first A+E and 7DMT for instance and change them later I have no idea what we are going to be in the mood to do when we finally get to a park. but do you know 3 rides you likely want to go on for sure? I mean your not going to be in the mood to do 7DMT or Toy Story? What if we wake up that first day and my kids decide they want to go to Animal Kingdom first, ruining my FP selection made 2 months earlier. so move them - there seems to be the ability to move most but not all rides around or just got to AK late in the day then as you have hoppers so you can compromise with the kids in this way

So, FP+ is enough of a pain and now Disney is pulling this SB+ junk! Talk about ruining a vacation if this becomes the next big thing. Next April we are only spending 4 days in the parks. I wish we could stay longer but, it is going to take all we can muster to afford this trip. SB+ has no factor on planning though and who knows what rides it will even be on and if SB+ works the way I think with you being out of SB- lines you can now catch shows while you wait for your SB+ time to come up or even catch lunch

My rough plan for now is day 1 is MK, day 2 HS, day 3 split between AK in am/EP in pm, day 4 MK and anything else we may want to try and hit again. Day 3 is the headache day, I'm already having to decide which park to use our FPs on since you can't split them between parks. My idea was to get to AK early and hit the big rides right away and use FP for EP but, SB+ would mess that up. It would force us to go to EP in the am otherwise Soarin could be completely closed for us in the pm, even if we were willing to wait in a long line. but if they run out they possibly might reopen in the evening, I don't know if people know the reopening is normal and I don't think there is a good idea if SB+ really runs out THAT early in the day That just sucks, this take choices away from guest and makes no since to me.

All this planning and FP+ and now SB+ which is only on 1 M+G and 1 ride also makes hopping less appealing, does Disney not care about selling hopper tickets? If SB lines are going to close then why bothering going to a second park in the afternoon when you have no chance to ride so, why bother buying hopper at all? Hopping is easier now though, you can reserve TOP rides while doing park opening at another park, at Epcot you can for sure get Soarin or TT and at HS you can for sure get Toy Story while doing the morning in another park making it easier to hop. Also remember SB+ is NOT on all the rides and even if it is there needs to be enough people to take up all the SB+ tickets which is highly unlikely for more lines in my mind.

Sorry for rambling, I'm not even sure I made any sense but, I just don't like this planning down to the hour stuff.You are not required to show up to the FP+ you booked and you can always move it though.... What about in the past when you pulled a FP- ticket for 3PM at 9:30am didn't that cause some planning? Our lives are on a schedule every single day, our vacation is suppose to be. I already miss the days of just showing up at the park and doing whatever you want, grabbing some FP tickets here and there and just taking your time. But could you just randomly grab a FP- at 2PM after hopping for any ride you want? A lot of top rides might have been gone anyways I haven't even experienced FP+ yet but I don't see myself liking it much. I'm gonna hate having rides scheduled at certain times and having to makes sure we don't get caught up doing something else and miss are times, this is more like work then a vacation. SB+ would basically ruin Disney for me, I'm just not going to go on a vacation where every hour must be planned out, I'd rather go sit on a cabin porch and stare at the mountains in Gatlinburg.SB+ is not a plan though... When you normally would have gotten in line instead of waiting you now get a shorter wait at a later return time. Also if your idea of a good vacation is a porch in Gatlinburg Disney is not the right place for you...

I'll be honest, I really miss the days when there was no FP at all and everyone just stood in the same line, it was so much easier and enjoyable IMO. Yes, there were long lines but, you were at a theme park, it was just part of the territory. I doubt many agree with me though.

Comments above in red

I think you missed the whole part about Roll not liking to have to plan, Seth. Some people are tired of Disney's latest motto...

spont_zpsf45c69bd.png

The whole "when you used to pull a FP at 9:30am for 3pm" line is, IMO, rather tired. I never pulled FPs at 9:30 that were for that late. Over spring break in march 2013 we pulled FPs for Soarin at 11am that were for 1-2pm...perfect timing..gave us time to enjoy lunch at the living seas before riding soarin (a second time, as we rode it at opening also).

It was only for a very select # of attractions, at very select times of year, that people were pulling FPs at 9:30am for 3pm use...it wasn't the average experience at all.

The whole "when you used to pull a FP at 9:30am for 3pm" line is, IMO, rather tired. I never pulled FPs at 9:30 that were for that late. Over spring break in march 2013 we pulled FPs for Soarin at 11am that were for 1-2pm...perfect timing..gave us time to enjoy lunch at the living seas before riding soarin (a second time, as we rode it at opening also).

It was only for a very select # of attractions, at very select times of year, that people were pulling FPs at 9:30am for 3pm use...it wasn't the average experience at all.

This

I have pulled countless fast passes in the old system and never experienced the huge gap people claim.

This

I have pulled countless fast passes in the old system and never experienced the huge gap people claim.

Yeah another...in all of our trips, we never pulled a RD +1hr FP for anything past noon-1pm. Any late afternoon/evening FPs we pulled were always gotten late morning/early or even late afternoon depending on the ride.

Completely agree. I never pulled a FP on any ride EVER that was over a 2 hour return on ANY trip EVER! Of course I am smart enough not to go in summer or at Christmas so I am sure it's all about timing. Since FP was first introduced in 1999 I have NEVER had a return time over 2 hours....EVER!!

I think that the latest we ever pulled was for RnR Coaster once and it was for 2-3 but we didn't pull it until after 10. I agree that this wasn't typical of most attractions. We are also not smart enough to avoid holidays and summer. ;)

That seems pretty amazing given it has only been operational for about a month, annual attendance at US was 7 million last year and you need a 2 park ticket to ride the train. Will be very interesting to see what this years numbers are...

I do believe I hear Universal's execs saying "cha-ching!". My daughter is starting to get interested in HP and I can't wait until she's fully hooked. Our Disney trips will still happen, but Universal will replace one of the two trips we take per year.

I do believe I hear Universal's execs saying "cha-ching!". My daughter is starting to get interested in HP and I can't wait until she's fully hooked. Our Disney trips will still happen, but Universal will replace one of the two trips we take per year.

Our kids have seen some of the earlier HP films and liked them. I DVRd the special behind the scenes that ABC aired on diagon alley at universal. I thought for sure they'd want to go check it out!

The kids' reactions: "meh". They don't want to go. They said it looks pretty cool but they don't want to go if it means a day away from WDW. And we're there for 12 days on our next trip.

Maybe next year...

The kids' reactions: "meh". They don't want to go. They said it looks pretty cool but they don't want to go if it means a day away from WDW. And we're there for 12 days on our next trip.

Maybe next year...

We're going in December and my middle niece (13) was very concerned about missing school for 3.5 days. Once school ended in June, she was with my sister and said "Mommy, when we go to Disneyworld can we go to Harry Potter too?"

Sister said it was a good idea and could be arranged. She opted not to mention that it has been in the plan since we started.

We're going in December and my middle niece (13) was very concerned about missing school for 3.5 days. Once school ended in June, she was with my sister and said "Mommy, when we go to Disneyworld can we go to Harry Potter too?" Sister said it was a good idea and could be arranged. She opted not to mention that it has been in the plan since we started.

Maybe my kids are a little too young at 8 and 9?? But they saw the movies a while back and really liked them. My son even says he wants to read the books now, but had no interest in going to Universal. I was surprised, actually. I'll bring it up again next year! :)

I check it too. ;)

I bet that it starts up again whenever Disney starts testing something. Disney has been very quiet lately.

…A little too quiet… :worried:

Hopefully the execs are working overtime at the paper shredder shredding those lovely SB+ tickets they had printed up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter