Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
certainly not the first (and probably not the last) time Star Wars has done that. I actually like the idea of doing something different and having the apprentice rise in the 2nd act vs the original trilogy that only had the "big bad" killed in the very last act ... but due agree a bit more background on him would have been good

Though, guess that is what books are for and, in 10 years or whatever "Snoke: A Star Wars Story"

I have no problem with that but they could have added 5-10 minutes of stuff in TLJ giving a litle more background on him before killing him.

true, so maybe it is something else - was just one example (of many ways) that Snoke might not be dead

He could always come back as a force ghost. I don't think we've ever seen a sith be a force ghost but the possibility of force ghosts has been around. I doubt we will though. As mentioned above the plan for this one seems to be for the new apprentices to step up and take the center stage so I expect Ep 9 to mainly be Kylo vs Rey.

He could always come back as a force ghost. I don't think we've ever seen a sith be a force ghost but the possibility of force ghosts has been around. I doubt we will though. As mentioned above the plan for this one seems to be for the new apprentices to step up and take the center stage so I expect Ep 9 to mainly be Kylo vs Rey.

Supposedly the ability to be a Force Ghost is only available to those that practice the light side of the Force. That is one reason Dark Side practicers are so focused on prolonging their lives - because they know once it is over it is truly over for them

Supposedly the ability to be a Force Ghost is only available to those that practice the light side of the Force. That is one reason Dark Side practicers are so focused on prolonging their lives - because they know once it is over it is truly over for them

Doesn't mean they couldn't hand wave a reason that snoke could do it. Like I said I doubt it will happen.

Doesn't mean they couldn't hand wave a reason that snoke could do it. Like I said I doubt it will happen.

true - they've already massaged things a bit by letting Anakin become a Force Ghost as it supposedly takes specific training to become (Obi Wan learned it while in exile on Tatooine via training from Force Ghost Qui-Gon)

I think TLJ was supposed to show his growth from being a Storm Trooper, to someone who then cared about himself and getting out of there, to then caring about someone else (he at least tells Rose he was trying to escape to be able to inform Rey to not come back) to caring about a cause/group of people in willing to sacrifice himself in that final battle

I think that middle one didn't come across as a strong as it could have
And what I didn't like about his arc in TLJ is that it kind of undid his progression with Han in TFA. I felt like there was some real growth there and at the end on star killer base Han kinda points him the direction of look out for yourself, look out for your friends, but also complete the mission. And then they kind of walked it back in the TLJ and we had to go through it again (in a much more forced way)

They are up to episodes 12 and 13 already? How did I miss those?

(j/k)

HaHa jumped that gun.

Or did I?

I guess since VII ends with Rey vs Kylo

And VIII ended Rey vs Kylo

And we think IX will end Rey vs Kylo

May as well have 12 and 13 end Rey vs Kylo as well.

Last edited:
I think TLJ was supposed to show his growth from being a Storm Trooper, to someone who then cared about himself and getting out of there, to then caring about someone else (he at least tells Rose he was trying to escape to be able to inform Rey to not come back) to caring about a cause/group of people in willing to sacrifice himself in that final battle

I think that middle one didn't come across as a strong as it could have

See, I think people misinterpret the Finn scene. He wasn't "running away" he was trying to get the beacon far enough away so that Rey wouldn't be drawn into a trap. Now, granted, his interest in Rey is also a bit of self interest, but if she really is the last hope then his plan makes sense. Of course, it doesn't help that Holdo was making the whole thing seem hopeless.

It seems liek Smoke would have been a good character to convey some of that kind of information through like how he got into power and all that but he's gone now.

One thing that I think is a bit of a problem with "new" Star Wars is that the storytellers seem to have really take a "fan perspective" and written all this crazy backstory, but they aren't conveying it on screen. For SW nerds it's easy to interpret, but for casual audiences, it feels impenetrable. Sure they go back and tell stories in comics and novels and such, but your average movie-goer isn't going to seek all of that out. The older movies always had the Expanded Universe, but everything you needed to know was in the films. I hate to say it because I am usually against it, but it seems like the films need a tad more exposition.

See, I think people misinterpret the Finn scene. He wasn't "running away" he was trying to get the beacon far enough away so that Rey wouldn't be drawn into a trap. Now, granted, his interest in Rey is also a bit of self interest, but if she really is the last hope then his plan makes sense. Of course, it doesn't help that Holdo was making the whole thing seem hopeless.

One thing that I think is a bit of a problem with "new" Star Wars is that the storytellers seem to have really take a "fan perspective" and written all this crazy backstory, but they aren't conveying it on screen. For SW nerds it's easy to interpret, but for casual audiences, it feels impenetrable. Sure they go back and tell stories in comics and novels and such, but your average movie-goer isn't going to seek all of that out. The older movies always had the Expanded Universe, but everything you needed to know was in the films. I hate to say it because I am usually against it, but it seems like the films need a tad more exposition.

The "world building" component IN THE MOVIES is lacking. I think that is the best way to describe it.

The "world building" component IN THE MOVIES is lacking. I think that is the best way to describe it.

Very much so, and I know it's easy to fall into that trap because "it's Star Wars" and some of us have been immersed in that galaxy far, far away for a very long time. It wouldn't even take much, just a line here and there about something. One that had bothered me in The Force Awakens was when they destroyed the Hosnian System, but it was very unclear as to why that mattered. It wasn't Coruscant! Of course, if you read the precursor novels you find out that Coruscant was seen as a corrupt symbol of the Empire, so it was voted to decentralize power and hold Senate meetings at rotating locations. Hosnian Prime was where they were at that time, and most of the Republic Fleet was there to guard the summit. That could have been explained with two seconds of dialogue. Having the novels and other media is fun to expand on ideas and all, but you don't want viewers to feel like they are missing something.

Last edited:

That's what I was trying to say/imply but maybe wasn't clear - and I think that might be part of the issue in that it wasn't that clear in the movie

yup - I've seen a lot of Riann Johnson explaining what he was thinking and how it works, etc. - and I get what he is saying but even as a bit of a TLJ defender, if it takes that much effort to explain what you were trying to do, then the movie ON IT'S OWN did not fully succeed

yup - I've seen a lot of Riann Johnson explaining what he was thinking and how it works, etc. - and I get what he is saying but even as a bit of a TLJ defender, if it takes that much effort to explain what you were trying to do, then the movie ON IT'S OWN did not fully succeed

This can be the problem with "fan creators." When you grew up as a Star Wars nerd, then you have this deeper understanding of it all, and sometimes you forget to tell the audience who may not know these things. Do you know who didn't grow up as a Star Wars nerd? George Lucas!

This can be the problem with "fan creators." When you grew up as a Star Wars nerd, then you have this deeper understanding of it all, and sometimes you forget to tell the audience who may not know these things. Do you know who didn't grow up as a Star Wars nerd? George Lucas!

maybe just because we just watched it last night but reminds me of the season finale of the Big Bang Theory in that the crowd starts asking Mark Hamill all these detailed Star Wars questions and he can't answer any of them and then the comic book guy knows the answers to all of them

maybe just because we just watched it last night but reminds me of the season finale of the Big Bang Theory in that the crowd starts asking Mark Hamill all these detailed Star Wars questions and he can't answer any of them and then the comic book guy knows the answers to all of them

I know. It's sometimes hard for fans to understand, but the creators of these things often take them quite a bit less seriously than the fans do. It's not entertainment to them - it's their job!

That reminded me of the famous william shater "get a life" scetch. I'm a star trek fan and I completely love that scetch because it is very accurate to some portions of the fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter