Sometimes I feel guilty for not traveling elsewhere

Add me to the list who don’t get people who only go to Disney but...OP it’s your life, your trip decision doesn’t affect anyone else so do what makes you happy.

It's your business where you choose to travel. You should do what makes you happy. The fact that you are feeling pangs of guilt could indicate that on some level you're having second thoughts about limiting your destination and you're feeling you're missing out. Maybe some window shopping is in order?

Just because other people think national parks, Europe or going to see glaciers is a not to be missed experience doesn't mean you're obligated to do it or you're somehow a loser. If you know you hate being cold, don't select a destination where you'll be cold and miserable. If lots of sunshine makes your days more enjoyable, maybe don't put Seattle high on your list. It may well be that if you put some time into shopping vacation destinations you do or don't come up with something new that catches your fancy. If you don't, it might eliminate the feelings of guilt or that you're missing out on something. If you do find someplace that sparks your interest you might want to do some more research and consider planning a trip there. Whatever you decide, window shopping only costs you time.

You should do what makes you happy! DH complains about going to WDW so often, but when I ask him to pick somewhere else he won't. We tried to go to NC a few years ago, but I just wasn't feeling it. I did not get excited about planning, planning was a PITA too with all the different websites I had to go to and I had to do so much research. We have tried a few other places - we live somewhat close to Wisconsin Dells, we've done cruises, NYC, but I always prefer WDW.

Everyone is different. There are some people I know who never leave the coast or just travel to the same Summer resort almost every year. If that's what makes you happy, just do it.

You should do what makes you happy! DH complains about going to WDW so often, but when I ask him to pick somewhere else he won't. We tried to go to NC a few years ago, but I just wasn't feeling it. I did not get excited about planning, planning was a PITA too with all the different websites I had to go to and I had to do so much research. We have tried a few other places - we live somewhat close to Wisconsin Dells, we've done cruises, NYC, but I always prefer WDW.

Sometimes you want to get away and enjoy a vacation with fun options of things to do laid out before you with no real effort or thought involved. WDW used to fill that need for us before FP+.

I hear you. There is SO much I want to see and do in this world, but Disney WOrld makes me the happiest I ever am - I truly forget real life there.

We used to go multiple times a year, but now I balance it. We do 1 - 2 long weekends "elsewhere" and then a little bit longer weekend at Disney (this upcoming one is Saturday night - Wed morning). I still get my fix, for cheaper. Which allows my long weekends elsewhere (we are going to Baltimore in May - literally Saturday morning to Monday morning). new place, not Disney, super cheap. Balance - it is what works.

I wouldn't feel guilty about it! We don't just do Disney but if I think about it we go to a series of repeat vacations. There is something comforting about going to the same place each year or every few years. Do what makes you happy! (I would try to squeeze in a long weekend closer to home though. Maybe you'll find another great regular place to visit)

Why do you feel guilt if it is just you? You could take a year and do short trips to different places .

OP came back and said she goes other places, planning London and Paris next year. So not just Disney.

However, my family only did WDW for years, several trips a year. We bought DVC, it seemed to help my DD's learning issues, and it was uninterrupted family time. As DD got older, DH and I got into wine and starting enjoying trips to CA wine country.

Then, a few years ago we splurged on a Med cruise with some time on our own in Florence Italy. It cost the same as a 10 day holiday cruise we did on DCL in the early 2000's. The Europe trip was hands down the best thing we ever did. I had some health challenges on that trip, and now I have even more, and DH has had a hip replacement and probably needs the other one done. In other words, our tromping around the world days are probably behind us. I consider it a missed opportunity.

Glad you are going abroad, OP. At least you will know what your choices are.

If vacationing a lot at Disney is what makes you happy go for it but I will tell (general) you that if you have the ability to travel other places, especially internationally, do it. This is especially true if you are young without restrictions like kids and family. There will come a time when it is harder to jaunt off to Europe with 3 days notice for a week. I was once able to do that but now I have a young child and life is more regimented.

There is nothing like travel to open up your world. If more people did it I thin we would have a better understanding of each other.

There really isn't any reason to feel guilty. I promise you that those other places don't care that you live close but choose to vacation at WDW.

We only go to WDW every 4-6 years. It's enough. There are too many other great places to see in the USA or the rest of the world.

If I were you I would try someplace else just to see if you like it. I had an aunt and uncle that went to Myrtle Beach every year for decades. That was it and they were quite happy.

I was a huge Disney fan and we cruised and went to parks every single year. My husband wasn't as much of a fan as I was and talked me into going to an all inclusive in Mexico a few years back. I was at first totally against it but agreed to it. It was one of the best vacations we've ever taken. I never knew that life beyond Disney could be just as great or greater. I am truly thankful that he talked me into spreading my wings.

I think you should do what you want to do and not feel guilty about it. I think a lot of people have their default happy place and then they branch out from that if they're fortunate enough to have multiple vacations. We are able to do a couple big trips and a small trip each year. We tend to have the flavor of the moment and we go there every year and then branch out for the other big trip. A couple years ago we went to WDW for the first time and loved it. So Disney is the current flavor of the moment. The year after WDW we went to Universal and SeaWorld with a trip to MVMCP. This year we're doing Disneyland and I suspect we will do WDW again the following year, maybe Disneyland Paris after that. Unless something else strikes our fancy. The fact of the matter is that New York, Las Vegas, Puerto Vallarta have all been the flavor of the moment. Who knows what the next one will be. But I think there's nothing wrong with having a trip that's familiar, something you know you will enjoy. I mean it's great to be culturally enriched and learn something and all (so we do that once a year), but it is a vacation after all...

Im with ya, I only did Disney for a little over a decade, now Im on the Las Vegas thing and basically only do that, I believe well rounded people experience many parts of the world, but I am not well rounded

As others have said, vacations should be about traveling somewhere that makes you feel happy! Enjoy your “happy place”!:dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter