Southwest Airfares Increase

lspeltz

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, this is my first question/post. I book a trip every year, typically in the Fall to Disneyworld, but I have done Spring too. I have been flying Southwest for the past 6 years for these trips. I went on the site today for Orlando in October and the fares have literally doubled! Does anyone have any idea why? Southwest is usually so good! Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Where are you looking for Southwest flights? October 2019 flights, other than Oct. 1, do not go on sale till the beginning of March.

Where are you looking for Southwest flights? October 2019 flights, other than Oct. 1, do not go on sale till the beginning of March.
I put the last week of Sept in and used 10/1 for a return date, because 10/1 has been posted. I looked at Sept and Oct last year, and they were fairly similar, so I was using Sept this year as a reference/base point to get an idea (and it's double from last year too). I then looked at April and May this year, just to see, and it was double too. Weird.....

They can charge what they want.
Maybe your airport doesn't have as much demand compared to previous years so there's not as many flights available with supply down that drives the price up.
I've been flying with SWA since 2007 and what I found was that from about 2012 to 2016 prices seemed to double what I had been paying and then in the last couple years have come back down to a much more reasonable rate.
The last 4 flights I've booked from BUF to MCO have been $235 RT or less.

You are looking way too early. It will come down.

Fares on Fridays are always the highest also. Look on a Wednesday or Thursday from now on.

Maybe your airport doesn't have as much demand compared to previous years so there's not as many flights available with supply down that drives the price up.
I've been flying with SWA since 2007 and what I found was that from about 2012 to 2016 prices seemed to double what I had been paying and then in the last couple years have come back down to a much more reasonable rate.
Yea that makes sense- I am still going, just will keep my fingers crossed they come down, otherwise shop around. I just hadn't seen such a huge jump from them before. I really like SW!! Have a great trip!! It is so nice to have something to look forward to when the Winters are so long!!!

Fares on Fridays are always the highest also. Look on a Wednesday or Thursday from now on.

You cannot know that they will come down and I've checked every day of the week every time of the day and most of the time there is no reason for when they go up or down.
I booked my flight for this July in mid December. I've checked daily since and while the prices have gone up and down they have not gone back to what I purchased them for nor have the dropped below that.

Basic rule of thumb is buy when you feel comfortable with the price no wait until xyz and it will come down.

On March 14, Southwest will accept bookings for flights between 10/02/2019 and 11/02 2019. I suggest looking at dates/fares as early as possible on March 14, and booking, if possible, at that time.

As Southwest does not charge a fee for changing plans, if paying with cash or points, you will have a credit for cash tix on your account for any fare reductions or cancellation. That credit must be used for travel within one year from original booking date. So, you are not risking much by booking ASAP, and might very well save over waiting. You can always keep checking to see if your flight has gone down in cost. If booking with RR points, the points and fees would be returned and fully credited for changes/cancellation.

Dates for Sept. till Oct. 1 were probably heavily booked when the last extension occurred, so many of the lower-cost seats were probably sold out awhile back. As the flights fill up, the seats will get more expensive - supply and demand at work.

In case you are not aware, Southwest has a “low fare calendar” that can give you a quick look at day to day fares, which might be useful.

Hi everyone, this is my first question/post. I book a trip every year, typically in the Fall to Disneyworld, but I have done Spring too. I have been flying Southwest for the past 6 years for these trips. I went on the site today for Orlando in October and the fares have literally doubled! Does anyone have any idea why? Southwest is usually so good! Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

I fly out of Philly twice a year to MCO. Since the airlines created the "Basic Economy" fare, the prices on every airline out of PHL (and maybe other airports) have more than doubled. What used to be a $250.00 fare with bags, is now well over $500.00 in just a short period of time. AA is now untouchable. Southwest seems to be the best option for now. Even the low cost carrier pricing is the same by the time you add luggage fees and seats. Don't know what's going on with airfare but prices are out of control!

That's a good idea- that never occurred to me either, thank you :)

I fly out of Philly twice a year to MCO. Since the airlines created the "Basic Economy" fare, the prices on every airline out of PHL (and maybe other airports) have more than doubled. What used to be a $250.00 fare with bags, is now well over $500.00 in just a short period of time. AA is now untouchable. Southwest seems to be the best option for now. Even the low cost carrier pricing is the same by the time you add luggage fees and seats. Don't know what's going on with airfare but prices are out of control!
Agreed!

You cannot know that they will come down and I've checked every day of the week every time of the day and most of the time there is no reason for when they go up or down.
I booked my flight for this July in mid December. I've checked daily since and while the prices have gone up and down they have not gone back to what I purchased them for nor have the dropped below that.

Basic rule of thumb is buy when you feel comfortable with the price no wait until xyz and it will come down.

Well, considering that Southwest won't release the airfares for OPs travel dates until a month from now, OP is indeed looking too early.

Well, considering that Southwest won't release the airfares for OPs travel dates until a month from now, OP is indeed looking too early.
Yes it's true they are too early to book due to the flights for their dates not being out yet however you are the one that said it will come down and you cannot say that for sure is my point... especially when the prices haven't come out yet.

Have you checked other airlines to get a basis of comparison? I have and all airlines have increased significantly, from what I've seen. Fortunately (since I'm a huge Southwest fan) Southwest is still the cheapest in our area.

It has always been my experience that the best prices for airfare were at the 330 day mark, but no more. I can't figure it out now. Southwest doesn't release dates that far in advance. I check everyday multiple times and it seems whatever these airlines recently did with their pricing, the prices don't budge much. The prices are staying high.

Yes it's true they are too early to book due to the flights for their dates not being out yet however you are the one that said it will come down and you cannot say that for sure is my point... especially when the prices haven't come out yet.

Well, I always book my Southwest flights between 5 and 6 weeks out and always find super low prices. I watch them go up and up and up and they always come back down, and suddenly all those "sold out" wanna get away fares make a reappearance. Works every time without fail.

Well, I always book my Southwest flights between 5 and 6 weeks out and always find super low prices. I watch them go up and up and up and they always come back down, and suddenly all those "sold out" wanna get away fares make a reappearance. Works every time without fail.
Well, just because something always works for yoh that does not mean it will work for others.
I too have booked 5 to 6 weeks out and it's generally at a premium. Where as most times booking as far out as possibletends to give me the best price.
My point is there are various factors involved and telling someone prices WILL drop is an irresponsible response since you cannot possibly know for certain.

Last edited:
I've watched SWA fares out of our local airport (GRR) since they came here and I can tell you that fares have almost NEVER gone down after they were released. I book our flights almost exclusively with points so that they are completely refundable. Then I watch the prices religiously and if they drop, I "change" the flight and get the points back. In the past 6 years, I think the biggest change I've seen was about $20. Last year, they released some insanely high prices (like $350 one-way) in the morning on the day the schedule opened up. I went back later that afternoon and found that the same flights were down to $150 so that was a weird anomaly. I don't know that I had ever seen a price DROP of that much in a single day. For the most part, out of GRR, after the the schedule and prices are released, the prices are not going to go down by any significant amount.

I agree that the prices have gone up significantly on SWA. I used to be able to get fares to MCO around $250-$300 and fly non-stop from GRR just a few year ago. Now, there is only one flight per day with a layover of LESS than 2 hours or you are making 2 stops. The total travel time for most flights is > 5 hours on what used to be a 2.5 hour non-stop flight. The prices have gone up too which makes the itinerary changes that much harder to deal with. It wouldn't be so awful if the prices had gone down, but now I'm lucky if I can get $300 fares.

I book the morning flights are released and have always been happy with my fare. I've never seen them come down for my flights and I check regularly. We pay about $200 per person RT. I don't like paying more than that from NOLA to ORL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter