Southwest Thanksgiving Free Change Window

DisMommyTX

DIS Veteran
Southwest has updated its flight schedule over Thanksgiving. Now is a good time to check the new flight options. If you see something you like better, you change flights without having to pay any fees or difference in fares.

I saw that I could adjust my Christmas trip this morning too :) I was able to switch to a flight that works better for us without an extra cost!

So aggravated! I booked a 5:30am nonstop to Orlando the day the booking window opened. They bumped me to a layover, even though my original flight was still there, just pushed back to 6am. Still the same number of nonstops during the day. I spoke with them this morning and although the lady was apologetic, there was nothing they could do and the earliest nonstop she could put me on gets me to Orlando at 4pm instead of 9:30am!!! Of course, we had a park that day and now I have to try and decide if its worth the cost for a couple of hours or just make a resort day out of it. It was a short trip already and this isn't helping!

So aggravated! I booked a 5:30am nonstop to Orlando the day the booking window opened. They bumped me to a layover, even though my original flight was still there, just pushed back to 6am. Still the same number of nonstops during the day. I spoke with them this morning and although the lady was apologetic, there was nothing they could do and the earliest nonstop she could put me on gets me to Orlando at 4pm instead of 9:30am!!! Of course, we had a park that day and now I have to try and decide if its worth the cost for a couple of hours or just make a resort day out of it. It was a short trip already and this isn't helping!
I ended up canceling my SWA flight to MCO because they re-booked us on an itinerary that left later and took 6 hours of travel time vs the 2.5 hours that the nonstop flight took. We are now booked on American out of PHL and they called me the other night to let me know that flight had been canceled and we were now booked on a flight that gets in one hour later than the original flight. But at least it is a nonstop. Every airline is playing chess as they get closer to departure dates. It's just one more thing to hate about 2020.

Our flights got jacked up too. Initially we were on a NS (Tues-before Thanksgiving) getting in at 8:30pm then they switched us to a flight with a connection and getting in at 11:30pm. Non-starter, so I got that changed to an earlier NS flight that gets us into Orlando at 4:00pm instead, actually works out better for us. But our return flight is a bummer, planned on a NS home leaving at 7:45pm which gave us almost a full day in MK our final day, but now our flight is leaving 3 HOURS earlier so we are losing that time at MK.

Why even offer some of these flights if they are gonna change them later? I'd rather start with fewer flights to pick from and then when they get full more options are offered rather than pick a flight and have the airline decide THAT flight needs to be cancelled and now our plans are tossed in the air. Especially when people make an effort to book certain flights months in advance to ensure their seat on a specific flight.

Why would they kick you off your flight if all that happened was they changed the time by 30 min, that is unacceptable!!

Why would they kick you off your flight if all that happened was they changed the time by 30 min, that is unacceptable!!

My theory is that when they continued the no middle seat occupied policy they had to kick some people off. I had reservations in Oct, I made mine early, then added one for my DH much later (like months later). When they said no middle seats in Oct, he got booted off the flight, I was not. They recently announced no middle seats in Nov.

I have SW flights in Dec from PIT. They just eliminated all non-stops so I now either have to change at BWI or Nashville. I probably won't even go, but I am looking at my options for switching from flying home on a Monday night to Tuesday afternoon.

My theory is that when they continued the no middle seat occupied policy they had to kick some people off. I had reservations in Oct, I made mine early, then added one for my DH much later (like months later). When they said no middle seats in Oct, he got booted off the flight, I was not. They recently announced no middle seats in Nov.

I have SW flights in Dec from PIT. They just eliminated all non-stops so I now either have to change at BWI or Nashville. I probably won't even go, but I am looking at my options for switching from flying home on a Monday night to Tuesday afternoon.

I think the gap SWA has with the "no middle seat" issue is that seats aren't assigned like for other airlines ahead of time. For example we are a party of 3 for our flight, so we will all sit together and our middle seat will be used and I know that SWA allows that. But if SWA is counting us as just 3 passengers then they would assume that only the Window and Aisle seats could be used in that row/side and then the 3rd passenger would need to occupy another row/side which just dominos the capacity of a flight.

Be sure to check your flights carefully. Our New Years flights to Pennsylvania got all kinds of messed up. They changed our one-way flight which was PHL-HOU-CRP into HOU-STL-PHL connecting to HOU-CRP. What?!?! They completely reversed the first half of one leg? We had to change to BWI because PHL no longer offered any flight options even with multiple connections. Even more concerning, the email they sent did not match what showed up on when we logged in to the website the next day. I was fine with the changes in the email and only logged in to see if I could get it for fewer points. Imagine my surprise to find that the route they changed me to no longer existed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter