Spin-Off from Landline Thread: I Still Have/Use a...

ronandannette

I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!
A poster on the phone thread mentioned not only primarily using a landline phone, but also having an actual answering machine. If we saw one today some of us would laugh at the antiquated "technology" and some of us probably wouldn't even know what it was.

In my office at work I have a transistor radio that I use daily. I've had it for 25 years or so and it's always been tuned to the same AM talk station. I know I could easily stream the audio on-line but somehow I just can't bring myself to part with it. I also get a chuckle when I am occasionally asked "what it is". :confused3

A poster on the phone thread mentioned not only primarily using a landline phone, but also having an actual answering machine. If we saw one today some of us would laugh at the antiquated "technology" and some of us probably wouldn't even know what it was.

In my office at work I have a transistor radio that I use daily. I've had it for 25 years or so and it's always been tuned to the same AM talk station. I know I could easily stream the audio on-line but somehow I just can't bring myself to part with it. I also get a chuckle when I am occasionally asked "what it is". :confused3

You're not alone! Mine is much older, and I enjoy it when on vacations. Unlike you I do not get asked "What it is?" but, than I travel in a much older group of people. ;)

I was hard pressed to think of anything, I’m all about techie toys and making life easier. I did manage to think of a few though.

My younger kids have iPod Shuffles and real alarm clocks even though they have iPhones/iPads that can serve both of those functions. I want to keep “constantly connected” at a minimum for as long as I can so no tech after bedtime.

They both prefer physical books. (meanwhile Mama has ordered herself the latest fancy smancy Kindle)

We still own our Kenwood Stereo System complete with dual cassette deck, six disc CD changer and record player. It was our first large purchase together. Still works but hasn’t been set up in more than a decade.

CDs, LPs and Blu-ray/DVDs. The CDs are strictly for back up in case EHDs crash and burn. 90% of mine and DH’s music is ripped so no cloud back up. LPs DH can’t seem to part with. 99% of my movie collection I also own on digital but movies look better on Blu.

DH and I download our media rather than stream. These days that’s old school.

Now my sister, she is slow to come to this century. We finally convinced her to get a smart phone a couple years ago and she loves it but doesn’t utilize it near enough. She’s a hairdresser and works for herself but still uses a paper appt. book rather than put it in her calendar. She will not get a Square Reader or take electronic payments. If I need an appt. for a haircut I have to wait until she’s in the shop to check her book. I keep a checkbook just to pay her.

I still love having a paper calendar/planner. It's part craft project, I guess, as I like to use different colored pens, stickers, etc. I do occasionally set reminders for appointments on my phone, but in general, I prefer them on paper (calendar hanging on my kitchen wall and a planner in my purse).

We finally converted our landline to cellular, but we have a box that allows us to use our landline cordless phones. I like having multiple phones throughout the house, even though the only calls are from solicitors... and my mom. She still believes cell phones are for emergencies only and won't call mine if it's just to chat. Oh, and we have an answering machine for that home phone.

I still have and use:

a checkbook, a roll of stamps, a notebook and a calculator for paying bills (I don't do online bill pay).

a paper planner. Can't keep myself organized with the one on my phone.

Cookbooks and a recipe card file.

a boom box that plays cassettes (both for music and audio books)

The old fashion thing I don't have yet, but am actively looking for because I WANT to use it: a treadle sewing machine or a hand crank sewing machine (to join the rest of my herd).

I still have and use:

a checkbook, a roll of stamps, a notebook and a calculator for paying bills (I don't do online bill pay).

The old fashion thing I don't have yet, but am actively looking for because I WANT to use it: a treadle sewing machine or a hand crank sewing machine (to join the rest of my herd).
I just went paperless in the last couple of months. I resisted because I thought I’d forget to pay them if they weren’t in a stack by the computer for me to see. The opposite has happened though, I end up paying them as soon as I get the notifications making them early.

I forgot, I have and use physical cookbooks. I was actually thinking about buying DD a Betty Crocker or BHG cookbook for Christmas. She has lots of culinary training from high school/college but everyone should have a good, basic cookbook on hand.

I still use a flip phone. Hate hate *hate* cell phones. I got this one from Target for ten bucks. It tells me the time and makes phone calls when I need to speak to someone.

I have a filing cabinet next to me here and still use it to file paper bills and documents.

I also use physical cookbooks @wenrob . I actually collect vintage cookbooks and use them all the time.

I have a desktop computer running Windows 7 that's nearly 10 years old. It still works just as well as it did when it was new (knock wood).

I still have and use:

Never thought about the online bill pay. I don't use it anymore either. We don't have many bills to pay. But if power goes out you can't send the bills out either. I guess I am so old fashioned for doing things with out a lot of electronics.

I love digital technology but I'm not ditching my physical media anytime soon. Books, records, cds, tapes, even old music magazines like ancient copies of Rolling Stone and Circus. All this "clutter" would drive some folks to distraction, like my wife for instance.;) I don't really have a radio except in the car. I did put fresh batteries in an old boombox a year ago just to see if it would still work, and it does. Haven't used it though.

I still have and use:

I still have, and use all of these. Well, my treadle, hand crank sewing machine hasn't (seam) any action in awhile!

Last edited:

LOL. Hey, it is a DIGITAL answering machine, and they still sell them like I posted.

Other antiquated technology in my house, a hand crank can opener, used one to open a can of soup for lunch today. I can't count how many electric can openers we've had in the 35 years we've been married, they never last and take up counter space (we did have an under the cabinet mount can opener, never could get enough leverage to start it.

My computer has a combo drive that reads 3 1/2 floppies and every memory card every made and a CD drive/burner and a DVD drive/burner. I know a lot of computers now don't even come with CD or DVD drives.

Checkbook, paper calendar and weekly planner.

I did laugh at a Family Circus type cartoon where a little boy runs up to his mom and says "look, the Dentist gave me a fancy new toothbrush that doesn't need to be charged or need batteries!"

I still have (and use) -
a VCR/DVD player
a radio (by my kitchen sink)
a "real" answering machine
an alarm clock
a phone with a cord (just on one extension)
paper books (including cookbooks)

I still own (but haven't used in a long time) -
an overhead projector
a "tube" TV (in the spare bedroom)
a "boom box"
an analog alarm clock

We have an answering machine but it will be going in a few weeks when we get rid of the land line.
Two VCRs still as there are a few tapes we still watch.
I have an alarm clock as does my DH.
My car is older and has not USB port much to the teen's dismay.
No blue-ray player but kids use the Xbox I think it is to play Blue Rays.
Still use a paper calendar at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter