Spin-off unusual allergies

I was informed as a child that I'm allergic to sulfa drugs. Don't know if it's still true or not, but I do state this when filling out forms at doctor's offices, etc.

Not really an allergy, but the citric acid in OJ and other citrus fruits irritates my stomach. It has to be in larger quantities, however. A squirt of lemon juice in a recipe is fine.

My 5 year old has a contact allergy with neoprene. Luckly the peatrician at his practice we saw that day (not his normal one) has the same allergy so she knew what it was right away.

I am allergic to vicodin and can't take anti-infamatory meds or high does of aspririn. Makes having surgery fun.

I was informed as a child that I'm allergic to sulfa drugs. Don't know if it's still true or not, but I do state this when filling out forms at doctor's offices, etc. Not really an allergy, but the citric acid in OJ and other citrus fruits irritates my stomach. It has to be in larger quantities, however. A squirt of lemon juice in a recipe is fine.

The citric acid that is added to OJ is not the same as a squirt of a real lemon. The citric acid that is added to foods is made by the fermentation of glucose (made from corn usually). Most people assume citric acid is made from citrus fruits but that's not true.

theSurlyMermaid said:
I dunno. Our throats close up and we break out into hives and get itchy ears and stuff. My was tested at the allergist and registered a 10 on a scale of 1-4. He carries an epipen for it.

Not sure if it's a "true" allergy or not, but we stay the hell away from pineapple.

Me too. The last time I ate pineapple was 18years ago. I looooove the taste of pineapple! But one day I took a bite and almost immediately felt my mouth burning. By the time I made it to the bathroom, my lips were twice their normal size andy throat was itching.

I am also allergic to cranberries. I have to be very careful about what I eat, because those two fruits are used in so many dishes and drinks.

I am very allergic to mederma, the scar medication and I can not digest lechtin.

My daughter is highly allergic to peaches and all fruit with an internal stone. Because of this we must avoid all foods with the mystery "fruit juice" ingredient. We can only let her have juice if it is 100 apple or orange or anything else that won't land us in the ER.

My 5 year old has a contact allergy with neoprene. Luckly the peatrician at his practice we saw that day (not his normal one) has the same allergy so she knew what it was right away. I am allergic to vicodin and can't take anti-infamatory meds or high does of aspririn. Makes having surgery fun.

I'm allergic to Vicodin and codein too. I broke out in hives after using it for wisdom teeth extraction. As a kid, it always made me vomit. Now they have to give me stronger stuff for pain killers, but they really don't like to do that. Ibuprofen and aspirin can irritate my stomach, but it's not an allergy for me. I just have a sensitive stomach.

My bf is horribly allergic to cinnamon. Bums me out because Autumn is my favorite season, but because of his allergy, I can't have cinnamon anything in the house (Scentsy, pies, candles, etc). I felt awful when I made Indian food the other night only to discover I had bought a red curry 'spice blend' that contained cinnamon, instead of straight red curry powder. Poor guy. He puts up with my lactose intolerance, though. He scoured the county to find lactose-free ice cream for me, and it's actually really good!

This. I am also allergic to cinnamon. It makes the whole fall/ Christmas season difficult, and now that stores are putting out Halloween stuff in August, it effects pretty much August-December, never mind avoiding any and all Cinnabons, big red gum, etc. It is tough because it is the smell, not just ingesting it that causes a reaction.

I am also allergic to codeine and levaquin.

I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to housework :rotfl2:.

I remember my mom not being able to eat cantaloupe. I guess there is something similar to shellfish that causes a similar reaction.

The cold and cigarette smoke. If I get too cold, I break out in horrible hives and I have a hard time warming back up. An allergy pill makes it a little better, but It's become progressively worse in the past 10 years I've had it.

The cigarette smoke is if I'm around it too long, and my right eye swells shut. Just my right eye. It's super awesome.

Sunflower. Not just the plant, but also the seeds and the oil. And it's in almost everything these days! Not just food, but lotions and soaps. I hate the dreaded- and/or listing for oils. I have to assume it's not safe.

Strawberries. Used to be my favorite fruit--my grandmother would save me the first one from her garden. Then I started breaking out when I would eat them. Not bad, but usually I would get a rash. Being the stubborn one that I am as I got older I would try occasionally to eat them to see if I was "still" allergic(I know--but I really am stubborn and kept thinking that it would go away!). When I started having reactions of my eyes swelling shut I gave it up. I can touch them and make a fabulous strawberry cake(so I"m told) but just don't risk eating them any more.

I have oral allergy syndrome and am allergic to all fresh fruit and some fresh vegetables (some worse then others) Frozen,canned, and cooked is fine.

My son has that. It's worse at different times of the year, when the pollen count is high also. So sometimes he can eat an apple (or any random fruit) and the next time, his lips swell. Most often it's an itchy throat, he hates that feeling.

I'm allergic to Duraprep, which is used to clean skin before surgeries. Found out after I got out of surgery. Nice neon pink raised itchy rash all over. Surgeon said he had never seen that before...

DS has developed the tick bit induced red meat allergy. It's rather unfortunate as he has a limited diet but does like steak, and it's always easy to find when out and about. We hope that the levels will decrease over time and he can try it again.

DS has developed the tick bit induced red meat allergy. It's rather unfortunate as he has a limited diet but does like steak, and it's always easy to find when out and about. We hope that the levels will decrease over time and he can try it again.

Lone star tick. Ugh!

My son was bitten by one, but so far so good. In talking with our allergist, it seems to be very rare the incidence rate where the allergy develops.

Does he also avoid pork? (Heard that can also be a problem.)

Not sure if it would be classified as an allergy, but my body doesn't tolerate alcohol - the ingested kind, not the rubbing kind. One doctor says I lack the enzyme required to process it and another says my body manufactures its own "antabuse" (a drug used in alcoholism treatment), but whichever the reason, I get violently ill within ten minutes of ingesting it. Conventional wisdom is that alcohol burns off in cooking, but I find that I can't trust that it will, so I just avoid anything with the hint of alcohol.

It's not really a problem for me because I don't like the taste of most alcohol, but I'm always stuck being the designated driver, and if I make a fool of myself in a given situation, I can't blame it on being drunk!

Queen Colleen

I and one of my daughters are allergic to chives. Not a typical allergy with hives but if we eat them we have a very, very limited amount of time to get to a bathroom. It seems like every restaurant likes to sprinkle them on food so we have learned to order food with "no green things sprinkled".

The citric acid that is added to OJ is not the same as a squirt of a real lemon. The citric acid that is added to foods is made by the fermentation of glucose (made from corn usually). Most people assume citric acid is made from citrus fruits but that's not true.

Yes, I suppose you're correct. Some fruit juice blends list citric acid as an ingredient and they're fine. It's freshly squeezed OJ or lemonade that irritates me if I take more than a sip. But I avoid all OJ as a precaution. Not fond of the taste anyway. The plastic bottles of lemonades at the supermarket are fine for my stomach.

It's not necessarily an allergy but I have an intolerance for mollusks. Ingesting just one will cause hours of kneeling to the porcelin god. Even eating something cooked on the same grill as a scallop will make me sick.

My oldest daughter is allergic to grass. It's worse when it's fresh cut. That's when her throat wants to close up. If she's going to be outside for long periods of time, she wears a mask and that seems to help.

Lone star tick. Ugh!

My son was bitten by one, but so far so good. In talking with our allergist, it seems to be very rare the incidence rate where the allergy develops.

Does he also avoid pork? (Heard that can also be a problem.)

No, he had a reaction to pork and chicken on the skin test but he hasn't had any problem with eating it. He's pretty carnivorous so if he starts reacting I don't know what he'll eat! The tick bite only causes a reaction to mammalian meats I believe, like pork, lamb, and beef. He'd be devastated if he lost chicken nuggets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter