SPINOFF: Did your elementary school teachers come to your birthday parties?

how charming, must have been a small town a long long time ago, but still kind of nice
If you're talking about my post, how long it's been is relative I suppose.:p I grew up in the 80s & early 90s. I like to think that wasn't ancient times. :laughing: FWIW, many of my relatives are still school superintendent, principals & teachers in my home town. I know it probably sounds inbred to some, but the county really isn't that small. :rotfl2: It just happens to have one, large family that has a high number of educators in the school system.

As for the nurse discussion, we didn't have nurses in elementary school back in what was apparently a long long long time ago. :rotfl: We did have nurses in middle & high school. All of my son's schools had nurses.

FWIW, having older first cousins in authority everywhere you turn wasn't charming at all. It could be extremely annoying. :sad2:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's a law. Not just a "nurse" someone to apply bandaids, but a credentialed RN.
Could be in some places. Not sure about the credentialed RN part though. At least here even in the hospitals, there are few RNs anymore. At least that always seems to be an issue in hospital union negotiations, that ratio of LVNs to RNs. The hospitals always seem to want a ratio of 15 LVNs to 1 RN, and the Unions want something like 10 to 1.

Like I mentioned earlier, from my years on a Little League board, where it is suggested that the league Safety Officer be a medical professional, the reality is you are going to call 9-1-1 to get a better equipped medical profession on scene. And that seems to be the same with schools, even those with nurses here.

Could be in some places. Not sure about the credentialed RN part though. At least here even in the hospitals, there are few RNs anymore. At least that always seems to be an issue in hospital union negotiations, that ratio of LVNs to RNs. The hospitals always seem to want a ratio of 15 LVNs to 1 RN, and the Unions want something like 10 to 1.

Like I mentioned earlier, from my years on a Little League board, where it is suggested that the league Safety Officer be a medical professional, the reality is you are going to call 9-1-1 to get a better equipped medical profession on scene. And that seems to be the same with schools, even those with nurses here.

That's insane. 9-1-1 is for emergencies. Who deals out medications and tends to the sick children? Thank goodness my son's schools have always had actual nurses. I can't imagine how scared I would have been when he started school if I had had to leave my diabetic 4 year old in the care of a secretary.

My third grade class had read "Pippi Longstocking" and loved it. It became the theme for one of my student's birthday party. She was having a sleepover and they were going to watch the movie. About 8:30 the night of the party, I received a phone call from the girl's mom saying they were starting the movie soon and the girls wanted me to come. I told her I was already in my pjs and she said the girls were too, so I'd fit right in. I went and had a special time with my girls.

That's insane. 9-1-1 is for emergencies. Who deals out medications and tends to the sick children? Thank goodness my son's schools have always had actual nurses. I can't imagine how scared I would have been when he started school if I had had to leave my diabetic 4 year old in the care of a secretary.
I posted the link. School staff administer medicines, but only with a release of liability from the parents and Doctors orders, but parents are encouraged to make other arrangements for medicating their children.

I posted the link. School staff administer medicines, but only with a release of liability from the parents and Doctors orders, but parents are encouraged to make other arrangements for medicating their children.

I'm glad our schools aren't like that. Sounds a lot like they don't really care about the kids.

I'm glad our schools aren't like that. Sounds a lot like they don't really care about the kids.
You have to admit a Paramedic is going to be better equipped to deal with medical emergencies than a school nurse.

You have to admit a Paramedic is going to be better equipped to deal with medical emergencies than a school nurse.
Of course, in true emergency situations our nurses call for an ambulance. But I think a nurse is better able to handle the situation while waiting for an ambulance than a school secretary.

And I think a nurse is better able to assess a situation and decide whether or not a child needs further medical attention.

Nope, nothing in common there, but 'my' 1st grade teacher came to my high school graduation 'and' gave me a gift!!! :)

No. This isn't done around here. In high school, my group of friends and I would often meet up with teachers we were close with at Panera or that kind of thing, and can still stay in touch with them now thanks to facebook, but when we were young enough to have birthday parties this was never even a thought.

Of course, in true emergency situations our nurses call for an ambulance. But I think a nurse is better able to handle the situation while waiting for an ambulance than a school secretary.

And I think a nurse is better able to assess a situation and decide whether or not a child needs further medical attention.

One correction, the school district I live in has an "itinerant nurse" program. Each nurse is assigned 5 schools. They are on each campus one day a week to administer state and federal mandated health programs. Like I said, my first hand experience is with youth sports programs, and the rule there is don't take time to decide whether a child needs further medical attention, just call 9-1-1 to make sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter