Spinoff: Favorite Airport?

Singapore has the best terminal ever, IMO. In the long haul international arrivals terminal, they actually had a person stationed in the restrooms who IMMEDIATELY cleaned the stall after an exit. So darn clean I'm pretty sure you could have eaten off the floor.

Other than that, I'm with the PP who said "my favorite airport is the one taking me on vacation."

My favorite is which ever one is taking me to my next vacation followed up closely by the one I am arriving at for my next vacation.

Exactly this! Although I will add West Palm Beach (PBI) is one I fly out of often for "international" flights and it's sooooo easy & laid back in terms of customs. Ft. Myers is a lot like it in that it is a smaller, laid back easy airport.

The airport in Basal Switzerland is huge, but way cool to see if you have a longer lay over.

This is true. Memphis is one of the number one freight airports in the world and every FedEx package comes through here. One amazing site is to drive by the airport on Thanksgiving, one of the few days they don't fly, and see a sea of FedEx planes parked on the tarmac - like hundreds of them!

I heard FedEx got so big that they no longer send every overnight delivery through Memphis. However, I think a lot of it is that the software technology has gotten better, so they're able to distribute their loads to multiple hubs better.

The FedEx hub facilities in Oakland take up more land than the two passenger terminals. But it's not even close to what FexEx has in Memphis.

I heard FedEx got so big that they no longer send every overnight delivery through Memphis. However, I think a lot of it is that the software technology has gotten better, so they're able to distribute their loads to multiple hubs better.

The FedEx hub facilities in Oakland take up more land than the two passenger terminals. But it's not even close to what FexEx has in Memphis.

That's possible. I don't know if every package comes through here, but a lot do. One nice thing about living here is that a lot of the fulfillment warehouses are also here, so even when you don't get the overnight shipping, items can arrive very quickly. There is also a massive shipping hub for rail and trucks here with those big cargo container cranes and stuff. The location is perfect for shipping to anywhere.

That's possible. I don't know if every package comes through here, but a lot do. One nice thing about living here is that a lot of the fulfillment warehouses are also here, so even when you don't get the overnight shipping, items can arrive very quickly. There is also a massive shipping hub for rail and trucks here with those big cargo container cranes and stuff. The location is perfect for shipping to anywhere.

I get the idea of a hub and spoke system is to to simplify operations. Obviously they're not going to go to every point to point combination of airports. This claims that the majority of FedEx overnight domestic packages goes through the Memphis "SuperHub", but when aircraft got full I suppose it made sense to have regional hubs.

https://bizfluent.com/info-8036798-fedex-hubs.html

They use some major passenger airports as hubs like Oakland, Anchorage, and Newark, but apparently also some small regional airports with long runways. Also one that doesn't have regular passenger service, but is close to downtown.

As far as the shipping goes, I've had some weird issues. One time I ordered some playoff baseball tickets online, and they were shipped from a TicketMaster facility. I had a tracking number and it got to a FedEx distribution facility in less than a day, but they told me that I wasn't allowed to pick it up for two days since it was shipped 2nd day.

agree that Hong Kong is nice. Istanbul has an amazing club (although the last time i was there was about 6 weeks before the attack (2-3 years ago maybe?) But, I like Munich. Has a biergarden!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter