Spinoff: Worst Songs of the 70's and 80's

The vast majority of '80s music I really enjoy. My mom always jokes that I'm strange because I wasn't born until '88 lol.

'70s songs I'm not so familar with or at least I don't know that I have ones I would consider worst or overplayed as it's only some songs here and there I enjoy from that era.

ANYTHING by Air Supply.
shame-gif-1465520937.gif

Celebration - Kool and the Gang
Gloria - Laura Branigan

Just so overplayed, I couldn’t/can’t stand them.

When I got married in the early 90’s, these songs were still in heavy rotation with DJ’s. I banned the DJ from playing them at my wedding. Lol.

I knew it would be here since it's on practically every "Worst Songs of All Time" list.

IMO it was OK, nothing special, but not worthy of the hate either.
:teeth: It does make for a very up-beat and catchy jingle/theme song. My industry association (urban land development and residential construction) uses it with some lyric modifications:
:rockband: "...we BUILD this city with heart and soooooul.."

I'm Not Lisa.
ANYTHING by Air Supply.
Ouch...there goes the entire sound track to my first two or three early-adolescent puppy-love relationships... :sad1:

The Pina Colada Song - Rupert Holmes

This song was so annoying to me. This is a song about two people, who, when they got bored with each other, instead of just breaking up, plotted to cheat on each other. Then when they found out what the other was planning to do, instead of getting upset/angry/peeved, they took it in stride. They really did deserve each other. :sad2:

But to be playing a song celebrating cheating on one's spouse and having a happy ending is a good thing? :confused3 Not in my books. :sad2: I have to wonder if people really listened to the lyrics? Or if this is an example, like, Whitney Houston's, "I Will Always Love You," that couples use as their wedding song, that they don't really know what the song is about? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This song was so annoying to me. This is a song about two people, who, when they got bored with each other, instead of just breaking up, plotted to cheat on each other. Then when the found out what the other was planning to do, instead of getting upset/angry/peeved, they took it in stride. They really did deserve each other. :sad2: But to be playing a song celebrating cheating on one's spouse and having a happy ending is a good thing? :confused3 Not in my books. :sad2:
....hated the song from Day One...I could never understand that both parties were cool about each other deciding to 'cheat' on the other one....

Anything by Boston, John Mellencamp, Pat Benatar and REO Speedwagon. SO played out!

I didn't know there were bad songs in the '80s. Though for Bruce Springsteen, I'll make an exception...or several.

As for the hate of the Rupert Holmes song "Escape" (aka the pina colada song), oh come on...much worse and offensive lyrics have been written. IMO, it's tongue in cheek. I love the song...it's in regular rotation on Yacht Rock Radio on SiriusXM, which I have no shame to admitting to listening to.

LMAO. I have over 10,000 songs in my iTunes Library.

One of my most frequently played playlist are my 70s & 80s playlists, I think most all of the songs are on my playlists. Not always in a mood for one or another but that's why I can skip the song. None the less great memories growing up. Since my brother was HUGE into Disco I wanted anything but Disco. One of the best concerts I went to was Devo believe it or not.

As for Watching Scottie Grow, that holds a special place since my oldest son is named Scott and it was my very unsentimental father that gave me the Bobby Goldsboro CD. First time I can recall seeing my Dad cry was playing it on our first visit with our son.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter