• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spoiled? 1 Bedroom vs. Studio - Hard to go back?

eporter66

DIS Veteran & DVC Owner at SSR
When we joined DVC, we got in with the minimum (through Disney) of 150 pts. After looking at the point charts, we felt this was plenty. Our first trip was in a studio (SSR), and we really enjoyed it and felt we made a good decision.

Ever since we have always stayed in a 1 Bedroom (3 - me, wife, and daughter (3) ). At this point, I cant see ever going back to a studio. Not that I would resist getting a studio (if that was all that was available), but we feel the one bedroom gives us so much space and comfort, and having the kitchen / Washer and dryer with our daughter has come in quite handy.

We dont want to add on pts just yet. We have always been able to travel off season, and we love it. We know over the next few years this will have to change once our daughter gets to school (they say after 2nd Grade they get tough with taking the kids out).

We do plan on a few trips without our daughter at times, me and the boys for golf, my wife and her sister for getaways. So we will use the membership for vacations that are not strictly family

So - although we wont add on for awhile, how many of you feel that a studio just does not cut it now that you are DVC members?

Not us!

We started as Interval International members and stayed in 2 or 3 bedroom units. We couldn't understand why anyone would pay so much to stay on property in a little room when they could stay off in a huge beautiful villa. Until we traded in to stay in a 2 br at OKW and were so hooked we bought DVC. For the first few years we always stayed in a 1br and were happy but then last year (May 2006) we tried a studio for part of the trip and it was fine. Now we've traded 1br 7-9 nights for studio 15 night trips.

Now, we're a little family of 3 so that helps.

If we ever decide to go on a shorter trip or have lots of points I would love a 1br, but for now studios are great and mean we have longer vacations.

We are hooked on the bigger accomodations! As a family of three, we always booked a 1 bedroom. Sharing a room with a teenage buy was NOT DH's idea of a nice vacation. The first time the 2 of us traveled alone, I booked us a Studio - figured that's all we needed for just the 2 of us. Won't happen again! We missed the space, the kitchen, and the washer/dryer WAY too much. To make matters worse, we booked a 2 bedroom when we brought a buddy along for DS. Now we are hooked on having the Living room free to live in!

So when the 2 of us go, we get a 1 bedroom, when the 3 of us (or more) go, we get a 2 bedroom. Definitely easy to get spoiled.

I'm with you, we always stayed in a studio, but on our DD 13th b-day we took a group of girls over to see Allie & AJ (ask your kids) at DTD and then stayed the night in a 1 BR. We loved it.

It's hard to justify more points when you live 5 miles away, but i'm tryin'!

:) Yes, for us the 1br spoiled us. Usually, it is just me and my DH and it is just great for us. We are WDW veterans so don't go to the parks for extended hours unless we have family with us (and then it is a 2br or a GV). Also, having a kitchen and washer/dryer is a plus.

Me! Me! - I'm spoiled!! We never tried a studio but have stayed in plenty of regular hotel rooms at Disney without the big bath tub and the washer and dryer. After staying in a one-bedroom I don't think I'll ever go back to a studio. Even though its just Dh and I in a month we got a one-bedroom because we love the space and amenities so much

I would only consider a studio if I decided to go to WDW alone. DH and I always get a 1 bedroom. We usually bring another couple as guests and get them a separate 1 bedroom because we love the privacy. Worst thing is that now we aren't happy in a regular hotel room when we travel to other places either. So you are not alone in being hooked on 1 bedrooms!

DW and I only stayed in a studio once--before kids.

Once we adopted #1, it was a 1 BR. This was fine until about a year ago

Now, we started 'trading up' from a 1 BR to a 2 BR.

I guess more points are next????

We have stayed in a studio when it is just the 2 of us. We have stayed in a 2 bdrm when we go with family and friends. This is about to change when we will be staying in a 1 bdrm (just the 2 of us) at Vero in 2 weeks. I am afraid this might spoil me for good!

I've only stayed in a 2 bd but have a 1 bd booked for Nov. This is mainly because my daughter who is 13, always brings a friend. If it were just DH nad i or a friend with me, I'd stay in a studio. I only used the microwave and the fridge, so i don't need a kitchen. No way will I cook on vacation.

Yeah, we're spoiled, too. The last time we stayed in a studio was 2002, when we went down for a quick weekend trip to celebrate a friend's birthday. Since then it's been a 1 BR when it's just us. Sometimes it seems a little silly to me that we have all this space for two people, but we do like the indulgence!

I would only consider a studio if I decided to go to WDW alone.

I don't even stay in a studio when I go down alone anymore. I enjoy the separate bedroom and living room, as well as the full kitchen and washer/dryer.

I'll stay in a studio only if my points are running low for the year because I do not like borrowing points.

The other reason I usually book a one bedroom is because many times I begin my plans as a solo but then one of my friends might be able to get vacation time from work and we end up going to WDW. That way each of us have our own room to sleep. (And after years of having to share a room with a brother when I was growing up, I really crave that room all to myself! :) )

We are also spoiled by the 1 bdrm. DH probably would not consider a studio and I really haven't tried to convince him :lmao: :lmao: !

If I were to ever take a solo trip, I probably would be very content in a studio.

We are going with friends soon and have a two bedroom. I really believe that folks need to be comfortable when on vacation!

I have just bought my first 150 point contract and KNOW I will only choose a one bedroom or larger when booking. I have stayed in a lot of great hotels, some with a separate living room, but with two kids (2 and 10) there is nothing like being in a two bedroom, even a one bedroom seems a little tight after enjoying a two bedroom. I haven't tried the DVC resorts yet (just Club Intrawest), but LOVE having a CLEAN living room, with the sleeping areas tucked away. With just one little one though, I think a one bedroom would be perfect!

Spoiled? Never!:goodvibes

I agree that the 1 bedroom is so much better than studio accomodations. But our next vacation in December is in a studio, so I hope it's not that bad, lol.

We're staying at SSR for the first time, so maybe that will make it easier.

I've never found it hard to go back to a studio. I do PREFER the 1BR and 2BR, but I can handle a studio just fine, too. When I go solo, or take just one other person, I'm fine with the studio. When I have 3 or more people I usually get a 1 BR. We have 300 points, and some years use them all on one trip in a 2BR. Other years I've taken 5 different 5 night trips, all in studios. Just depends on what's going on in any given year. Some years we've stayed a few nights in a studio and used the rest of the points to cruise.

I LOVE the flexibility of DVC!

When we joined DVC, we got in with the minimum (through Disney) of 150 pts. After looking at the point charts, we felt this was plenty. Our first trip was in a studio (SSR), and we really enjoyed it and felt we made a good decision.

Ever since we have always stayed in a 1 Bedroom (3 - me, wife, and daughter (3) ). At this point, I cant see ever going back to a studio. Not that I would resist getting a studio (if that was all that was available), but we feel the one bedroom gives us so much space and comfort, and having the kitchen / Washer and dryer with our daughter has come in quite handy.

We dont want to add on pts just yet. We have always been able to travel off season, and we love it. We know over the next few years this will have to change once our daughter gets to school (they say after 2nd Grade they get tough with taking the kids out).

We do plan on a few trips without our daughter at times, me and the boys for golf, my wife and her sister for getaways. So we will use the membership for vacations that are not strictly family

So - although we wont add on for awhile, how many of you feel that a studio just does not cut it now that you are DVC members?
I can't imagine staying in a studio with 3 people. DH and I started our DVC membership in a studio, but one trip we decided to "splurge" on a 1 BR for a few of the nights and there's been no going back. For one thing, we HAVE to have 2 TVs for the sanity of our marriage. That living room one only gets sports! And DH complains that the bedroom one only gets the WDW channels all the time. I'll stay in a studio when I'm solo, but Mom invited herself along one trip, shared my studio, and never again will I go with anyone else in a studio.

Actually we are even more spoiled as we only get 2BRs for the four of us! :snooty:

Getting a studio was never part of the plan since we bought DVC to upgrade our vacation accommodations.

However, I can see some trips down the road with DW and I as empty nesters and staying in a studio. For now, we'll enjoy being spoiled! :)

We're also a family of 3 and a studio is just fine with us. The only thing I really miss is the laundry in my room. Sure, a 1 BR would have more room to stretch out, but I find that we tend to all crash at about the same time when we come back to our room. Would we prefer a 1BR? Sure. Would we prefer twice as much time at WDW? OF COURSE! For us the studio with the queen bed and couch that folds up for more room during the day and the toaster/microwave is already an upgrade.

FWIW, we go at the very busiest/most expensive time of year (New Year's Eve) so the extra points are also taken into account.

Have always stayed in a one bedroom ever since we purchased back in '92. Doubt we'd even consider a studio unless the trip were only for a few days, and not our usual week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter