Spousal resistance

coloradodad

Mouseketeer
I can usually rely on my wife to rebuke my hair brained ideas - but the idea of joining DVC is not meeting any resistance. So far after watching the video I am only getting the "I'd do it in a heartbeat if you want to".

Can anyone offer me some good resistance? I have been doing my homework and reading threads. I am sure if I showed her the picture thread, we would be in.

My system of checks and balances is failing!!!!:sad2:

:lmao:
I can usually rely on my wife to rebuke my hair brained ideas - but the idea of joining DVC is not meeting any resistance. So far after watching the video I am only getting the "I'd do it in a heartbeat if you want to".

Can anyone offer me some good resistance? I have been doing my homework and reading threads. I am sure if I showed her the picture thread, we would be in.

:lmao: You have a gem, treasure her!

Bobbi:goodvibes

Can anyone offer me some good resistance?

Well, since you asked....

....do you have any relatives that think bumming a trip to WDW sounds like a good idea?

No? Then I'd say have at it!! :thumbsup2

All resistance will do is slow you down and if you ask anyone that hemmed and hawed before buying, they will all tell you that their only regret is not buying in sooner! You know you are gonna do it, so the sooner you do the sooner you will be sitting in your villa patting yourselves on the back and wondering what took you so long!

If you and your family can afford the investment, I would kiss my wife (if I were you), and buy on the spot!!!

But that's just me :cool1:

We can afford the up front, and the annuals would not exceed what we have been doing for the last 4-5 years for vacations. I think we can foot the bill.

Honestly my only question is if we would get tired of DW. We have been 4 times in the last six years and have always left wanting more. DS is 4 DD is 2 so they will have plenty of years of fun. Also, the fact that it is an airplane ride makes a little difference too. But by the time we rack up 15k in air miles to book flights, we seem to be able to fund 2 tickets at least each year. (put everything on the card - groceries etc.)

mg

My advice...go somewhere else and ask! Ha! Almost everyone on here are owners or wanna-be owners. :rolleyes1 It's probably not the most non-biased group you'll ever meet.

With that said, I'm with the others. Thank your wife and go for it! DH and I just purchased in January! :thumbsup2

We should probably tour before we get too far along in the process....will be out in December. If finances go the way we are figuring, I am pretty sure it will be a done deal.

mg

We should probably tour before we get too far along in the process....will be out in December. If finances go the way we are figuring, I am pretty sure it will be a done deal.

mg

That sounds reasonable. It gives you 9 months to convince yourselves it wasn't a spur of the moment desire. Gee, if only babies required more thought... :rolleyes1

I've told this story before on this forum, but I'll just give you the monarch notes now:

I was the resistance. Big time. My husband got up and out by 7:30 one morning to visit the then sales office at BWV while we were staying at the BC. He came back and said "We are doing this. You have to come back with me this afternoon." I hemmed and hawed all day. We went to the presentation, and the guide left us alone. We had a fight in the sales office. I thought it was stupid. My excuses were many, but the most ridiculous one was "this ties us to Dinsey every year." My husband just looked at me in disbelief. His response? "Ummm, we're coming every year. And staying in a deluxe ..."

Cut to today, 5-1/2 years and 2 add-ons later (instigated by me, I might add), and I'm the one who pours over these boards, makes the reservations, figures out how to get the most out of our membership, etc. Every now and again I'll over hear a couple speaking to a guide at a DVC kiosk, and one or the other is reluctant. I give them a 30 version of this story, and tell them to do it before the price goes up.

That's my advice. Don't fight it if you have a willing spouse and your financial house is in order. Do it before it costs you more!

resistence hummm ok - tell her buying DVC would make you want to go on amazing vacations every single year - not only WDW but hundreds of other places around the world if you so choose.

oh wait - that's not resistance is it oops sorry:idea:

no advice here - we just bought 210 at AK tonight - i'm still on buying a high

I was initially the resistance in our family. DW was pretty much sold but I had reservations, so we took it home to discuss, and after getting over the initial investment hurdle, made the decision to go forward. After our first booking and subsequent vacation, we never looked back. Best decision we've ever made, sorry we didn't do it sooner, etc., etc.................

mg

Why wait until December to buy? Use the cash you were going to spend on a room, apply it to DVC & book your DVC villa for December... No reason to tour the resorts, they are all beautiful!

By the way, you do know that you do not get daily housekeeping right? Just once per week & trash & tidy during the middle of the week....

Be careful not to buy too many points per contract... I'd buy a 150 point contract & then 50-75 point contracts beyond that... that way in the future if you decide you have too many points, you can sell off a contract... that's what happened to us after a number of years.. boy was I glad our first contract was for 150!!! Oh, and buy now since the price will only go up & don't forget the 100.00 discount off per annual pass, that's a new and awesome DVC perk!

Do have lots of relatives - I guess I better keep this a secret.
That's what many people have done with great success! Good luck on your decision, and I agree that if you have the chance to tour first, go for it. You can learn all the ins and outs of DVC on these boards but in the end you want to be drawn to the resort you will call home.

Good luck with your decision. :)

I've told this story before on this forum, but I'll just give you the monarch notes now:

I was the resistance. Big time. My husband got up and out by 7:30 one morning to visit the then sales office at BWV while we were staying at the BC. He came back and said "We are doing this. You have to come back with me this afternoon." I hemmed and hawed all day. We went to the presentation, and the guide left us alone. We had a fight in the sales office. I thought it was stupid. My excuses were many, but the most ridiculous one was "this ties us to Dinsey every year." My husband just looked at me in disbelief. His response? "Ummm, we're coming every year. And staying in a deluxe ..."

Cut to today, 5-1/2 years and 2 add-ons later (instigated by me, I might add), and I'm the one who pours over these boards, makes the reservations, figures out how to get the most out of our membership, etc. Every now and again I'll over hear a couple speaking to a guide at a DVC kiosk, and one or the other is reluctant. I give them a 30 version of this story, and tell them to do it before the price goes up.

That's my advice. Don't fight it if you have a willing spouse and your financial house is in order. Do it before it costs you more!

Great story ChickieToo! My wife provided the "level head" in our decision to do this. I was too giddy once we learned about DVC. She kept "bringing me back to reality" and kept us grounded. Now that we've decided to do it we wish we would've done it sooner. We live right here in Orlando and we go to Disney 3 - 4 times a year on our FL Seasonal Passes. I can recall time and again walking past a DVC kiosk and thinking you have to be crazy to do a Disney Timeshare. I, of course, had no facts or foundation for my feelings at the time and now look back and think I was crazy not to have joined DVC years ago. I'd already be years into this great "Disney Secret" and loving it. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20... ;)

Thanks again for this great story!

Why wait until December to buy? Use the cash you were going to spend on a room, apply it to DVC & book your DVC villa for December... No reason to tour the resorts, they are all beautiful!

By the way, you do know that you do not get daily housekeeping right? Just once per week & trash & tidy during the middle of the week....

Be careful not to buy too many points per contract... I'd buy a 150 point contract & then 50-75 point contracts beyond that... that way in the future if you decide you have too many points, you can sell off a contract... that's what happened to us after a number of years.. boy was I glad our first contract was for 150!!! Oh, and buy now since the price will only go up & don't forget the 100.00 discount off per annual pass, that's a new and awesome DVC perk!

Second the above thoughts 100%-put that room money to use as down payment money on many years of wonderful trips.

Having been to several hard sell presentations here in New England DH and I just knew we weren't interested in any timeshare purchase. and then
DH and I went on first solo trip to WDW in 1997 and while walking along the Boardwalk saw the sales center. ME- "I just want to ask a couple of questions about how this timeshare works" DH - OK but no long presentations or movies etc. him to guide - "We just want to ask some questions - no tours, movies or any of that" Guide -"Okay what do you want to know? We asked the questions took the literature out to the Big River Grill and read it over a beer and some nachos. About an hour later we had our canvas bag with all the paperwork in it and were headed to the Poly for the dinner show when we got our first "Welcome Home" from the person at the DVC desk in the Boardwalk lobby - Never did take the tour except seeing what the room looked like where we signed the papers and that wasn't going to be our home anyway. Currently have contracts at OKW, BCV and SSR-

We finally saw OKW the following year when we took out first trip. Show her the pictures and take it from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter