Spousal resistance

My DW did not want to buy DVC intially. On one of our stays at the Swan Hotel, she wanted to take a nap. She suggestted I go to the BWV model and talk to them, since its been killing me to do so the whole time we were in Disney. I took the tour, came back to the room and told we are going to buy and she agreed, but just a small contract. My DW did not see any of the resorts or rooms until our first trip home two months later. She Loved it!!! Since then we have added on three times, including buying into AKV!

You have a 4 year old and a 2 year old who have gone to Disneyworld every year of their lives? And after another couple of years you might get sick of Disney??? Ha, ha, ha, ha. :rolleyes1 Better work on beefing up that resistance thing - you're going to need it when the kids ask why we're not visiting the Mouse anymore.

Stop now, buy into DVC or resign yourself to ever-increasing hotel prices and diminishing discounts. But, let's face it, you're living in a dreamworld if you think you're going to be able to endlessly avoid becoming......one of us.:scared1:

All resistance will do is slow you down and if you ask anyone that hemmed and hawed before buying, they will all tell you that their only regret is not buying in sooner! You know you are gonna do it, so the sooner you do the sooner you will be sitting in your villa patting yourselves on the back and wondering what took you so long!

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 So true....we ALMOST joined back in 93 and didn't. I HAVE REGRETTED IT EVER SINCE. JUST DO IT!!!!! You won't have one regret.....UNLESS YOU DON'T DO IT. :rotfl:

coloradodad:

I'm in a similar situation. DS 4 and DD 2. I knew when I started to look at this that DH would say "no way." I really didn't know what to do when he said "sounds great! Let's go for it!" :banana:

We signed the paperwork this past Friday (waiting in ROFR). My parents visited this weekend and I didn't want to tell them b/c my Dad is highly skeptical of sales pitches and timeshares (esp. points timeshares). After sitting down and explaining what we were "thinking" of doing...my Dad said "sounds great. we'll go when you go." :cheer2:

Where's all the resistance I was looking for!! :scared1:

Amy

Why wait until December to buy? Use the cash you were going to spend on a room, apply it to DVC & book your DVC villa for December!

I agree. My only regret was not buying in sooner. When my daugher and I first started on our yearly WDW trips I was a single mom. I kept seeing the DVC kiosks everywhere but never stopped because I just "knew" that I couldn't afford it. Well, it turns out that I actually COULD have been able to afford it with no problem whatsoever.

So, in 1996 I COULD have bought in at the BWV (I own points there now) and have had many, many, MANY years of DVC vacations under my belt.

My advice? If you know you want it, and you know you can afford it, JUST DO IT!!!
:teacher:

coloradodad:

I'm in a similar situation. DS 4 and DD 2. I knew when I started to look at this that DH would say "no way." I really didn't know what to do when he said "sounds great! Let's go for it!" :banana:

We signed the paperwork this past Friday (waiting in ROFR). My parents visited this weekend and I didn't want to tell them b/c my Dad is highly skeptical of sales pitches and timeshares (esp. points timeshares). After sitting down and explaining what we were "thinking" of doing...my Dad said "sounds great. we'll go when you go." :cheer2:

Where's all the resistance I was looking for!! :scared1:

Amy

We've pretty much taken the "travelling with family" out of the equation. We've only had two separate family members get really excited about our DVC and wanted to know when they could go with us. Now, understand that these are two people with their rude spouses and bratty kids that will NEVER step foot in MY villa on MY points.

Now that it's been proven that some family members (ones that we wouldn't mind travelling with) can't keep a secret so my husband and I have decided that we just wouldn't talk about it to our families anymore.

I will just add that you can always sell in a few years if you need to re-coop some cash or just get tired of Disney (hard to believe this would happen) ot a life time purchase. AKVs have a full 50 years to go so the price should be stable or increase for another 25 years or so.

DVC is NOT an investment is the true sense, but more of a pre-paid vacation.

I agree. My only regret was not buying in sooner. When my daugher and I first started on our yearly WDW trips I was a single mom. I kept seeing the DVC kiosks everywhere but never stopped because I just "knew" that I couldn't afford it. Well, it turns out that I actually COULD have been able to afford it with no problem whatsoever.

So, in 1996 I COULD have bought in at the BWV (I own points there now) and have had many, many, MANY years of DVC vacations under my belt.

My advice? If you know you want it, and you know you can afford it, JUST DO IT!!!
:teacher:

Yep, that could have been me with DS. I could have been able to afford it just on the money we were spending on annual vacations.

Fast forward many years: I have remarried, DS is 16 and we are actually booked (rack rate:scared1: ) at a one bdrm BWV for "just this one time" as we figured DS wouldn't want to vacation with parents much longer. In the mail before our trip comes a DVC letter about taking the tour. I toss it. DH is an accountant/economist and I just know he wouldn't want to shell out those major dollars for a timeshare. We get to BWV and are absolutely overwhelmed with the 1 bdrm. There is a flyer in the room and DH says "what's this?". I tell him that these rooms are actually sold as a timeshare and they had sent us a letter to take a tour. He says "So why didn't take them up on it?". Huh??!!

So much for spousal resistance. The rest is history. We are not only owners but have added on twice. Wish I had done it sooner.

Wellllllll, If your wife said in a heartbeat, I'd say you're there. How old are your kids? Our first Disney trip was when our girls were 2 & 4 . It took us 3 more trips to decide "lets do it". That was 1996. We just returned from a week on the Boardwalk with complaining teens saying not Disney again. This time they brought friends. They've been thanking us ever since. If you feel it, it's probably for you. Friends family and neighbors thought we were nuts-(you could buy a boat for that). We've gone 3 times in the last year and it just keeps getting better.

. . . Can anyone offer me some good resistance? . . .

1) I will do my best.
2) If you buy DVC, you
. . . will have less time for Honey-Do's
. . . will have more ammunition and bargaining chips against the kids
. . . will have something else to taunt your golf partners
. . . will be forced to take more vacations

How am, I doing?

All resistance will do is slow you down and if you ask anyone that hemmed and hawed before buying, they will all tell you that their only regret is not buying in sooner! You know you are gonna do it, so the sooner you do the sooner you will be sitting in your villa patting yourselves on the back and wondering what took you so long!
Exactly.

Man....no resistance whatsoever...not that I truly expected any.:)

Golf, vacations, family time...Really the only snag (not a big one) is that we are meeting my sister's family and my parents at POFQ on that December trip that I mentioned and I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into that. Because of that, I do not think that we will cancel and apply the cash to DVC. With it being a moderate, would not be too different in cost than the annual fees.

Additionally I am planning to train for the marathon in 2009 so I have another trip on the radar screen. I was thinking that would be the initial trip with DVC if we do join. Might be nice waving to the family at one of the EPCOT events as I run by at mile 25.:yay:

mg

We should probably tour before we get too far along in the process....will be out in December. If finances go the way we are figuring, I am pretty sure it will be a done deal.

mg

December is a long time to wait and you will be spending room dollars you could have used to buy DVC. From your posts it sounds like your are good candidates to buy DVC and both of you are already convinced so if you feel you need to, do some more research, look at pictures on this board, and buy now. December will then become the month you go home instead of another trip of renting a room.

Why wait until December to buy? Use the cash you were going to spend on a room, apply it to DVC & book your DVC villa for December... No reason to tour the resorts, they are all beautiful!

Be careful not to buy too many points per contract... I'd buy a 150 point contract & then 50-75 point contracts beyond that... that way in the future if you decide you have too many points, you can sell off a contract... that's what happened to us after a number of years.. boy was I glad our first contract was for 150!!! Oh, and buy now since the price will only go up & don't forget the 100.00 discount off per annual pass, that's a new and awesome DVC perk!

Ditto Ditto Ditto

Really the only snag (not a big one) is that we are meeting my sister's family and my parents at POFQ on that December trip that I mentioned and I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into that. Because of that, I do not think that we will cancel and apply the cash to DVC. With it being a moderate, would not be too different in cost than the annual fees.

What?? You're going to skip an opportunity to show off how much nicer DVC rooms are than your in-laws?? :lmao:

Now THAT'S what I call self-control! :rotfl:

Seriously, you'll love your DVC once you buy in and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

What?? You're going to skip an opportunity to show off how much nicer DVC rooms are than your in-laws?? :lmao:

If it was the in laws, yes, but it is my parents and they could have RV'd at Ft Wilderness but Gramma refused because she wanted to be with the grand babies. Plus the built in baby sitter is worth more than gold.

In a couple of years I am sure we will be treating them in the 2 bedroom to give back a little of what they have provided for us.

mg

Gramma refused because she wanted to be with the grand babies. Plus the built in baby sitter is worth more than gold.

mg

I SOOOOO agree! We often take DH's parents with us when we go to Orlando for just that reason. (Oh, yeah, plus we love 'em :goodvibes )

It's win-win!

Word of caution.....if you love Disney now and go every year. Once you buy DVC, you will start going two or more times a year. It becomes more then just a trip to WDW, it becomes part of your life.

Observation: in all my research (and I have had seen this on this thread ) interesting the reaction of those that are not in DVC. The crazy time share look. That loco look as if I just jumped in without doing my homework.

Also the family secret aspect seems funny to me (as an outsider for now).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter