Spring Surprise (March 31-April 3rd 2022)

I'm not 100% sure, but I feel like the Summer Virtual Series wasn't on the drop down menu on the rD website and it's back now (it's still for 2021 Lion King). But I could definitely be wrong.

I would assume between now/Princess but who knows…. Also interested to see themes for virtual shorts
I wonder if the virtual shorts are coming back. They've said nothing and with the other races offering virtual components for this runDisney season, it's an interesting question if they feel the need to do it.
Well, they got me. I can't do it live because of the dates, but I had been considering the Tower of Terror 10 Miler because I hoped that Goofy would be on the medal. And then they had to go and put Mickey on the challenge medal. So yup, I'm in for the virtual challenge.

Overall, the 5K medal is growing on me. I really like the 10K medal too.

Did you read what they said about each race?
Animal Kingdom is mentioned as expected but everything else says around (10K) /through (10miler) the Walt Disney Resort.
I would have thought the 10k would mention Epcot and TOT would say Studios.
Makes me wonder...

Animal Kingdom is mentioned as expected but everything else says around (10K) /through (10miler) the Walt Disney Resort.
Makes me wonder...
I mean.....TOTALLY spitballing here...

If the 5k starts/end in AK, maybe they are going to start all of them in AK? If they sent you past blizzard beach via Osceola Parkway (no idea if that's even possible) and then completed the remainder of the marathon route that could be close to a 10k. Completely implausible. Just thinking outside the box here.

Last edited:

Overall, the 5K medal is growing on me. I really like the 10K medal too.

The 10k is my favorite! For the 5k, I prefered the last Everest medal, but at least it'll look different to one I already have.

Makes me wonder...

I'm guessing they are just being as non-committal to leave the options open as long as possible. I'd be shocked if the 10k didn't go past the France pavillion and the 10 miler didn't go past TOT. But who knows! Can't wait til the course maps are released!

Last edited:
Makes me wonder...
I think that's their generic language for most races now. However, they mention Epcot for the medal, which to me indicates that the focus is going to be there. I have no idea what they'll do for the course map though, they could do Epcot plus resorts (2020 MW 10k), Epcot/HS (which I know was done for the 2017 Dark Side 10k and I think other weekends), or they could go with something based on the old Race for the Taste map? A few good options here. The easiest route, IMO, from RD's perspective is probably something that starts and finishes in Epcot. It's something that makes a lot of sense since another race should run through HS...

As for the 10 Miler, that's the biggest question for me. You know it's going to involve HS, and I guess the best bet is to look at what they've done in the past for this race, but I do wonder if they'll have anything new they can do with this one.

Hi everyone! It's been so long since doing an actual runDisney run in the parks I forgot about the disboards. Then I saw the medals today!! Forgive me if these questions has been posted about already, but like I said it's been a while and I really can't read through 24 pages of posts... so here goes. As the 10 miler was phased out before I found runDisney what did the course map look like, and is there much to choose from as far as running costume?

I love the 5K medal and seeing the 10M makes me wish I could of mentally justified running a 10 miler and than getting back to Pop in time to shower/pack/check out

Hi everyone! It's been so long since doing an actual runDisney run in the parks I forgot about the disboards. Then I saw the medals today!! Forgive me if these questions has been posted about already, but like I said it's been a while and I really can't read through 24 pages of posts... so here goes. As the 10 miler was phased out before I found runDisney what did the course map look like, and is there much to choose from as far as running costume?
Here’s an old course map. Keep in mind there have been big changes to HS since 2014, so there will definitely be some changes to the map, and at this point the path the race takes through HS seems most likely to resemble what we got for the 2022 Marathon Weekend 10k or the full. Given this is a race centered on HS Id hope for the longer path from the 10k, and if they somehow figured out how to carve out more time in HS I’d be thrilled.

79BD5847-9A8C-4B26-93C6-5CDB0E9D5730.jpeg

As for costumes, I would assume anything Twilight Zone related is the ideal, I’m seeing some on google image search.

I think that's their generic language for most races now. However, they mention Epcot for the medal, which to me indicates that the focus is going to be there. I have no idea what they'll do for the course map though, they could do Epcot plus resorts (2020 MW 10k), Epcot/HS (which I know was done for the 2017 Dark Side 10k and I think other weekends), or they could go with something based on the old Race for the Taste map? A few good options here. The easiest route, IMO, from RD's perspective is probably something that starts and finishes in Epcot. It's something that makes a lot of sense since another race should run through HS...

I'm really hoping for the 2020 marathon weekend 10k course! Running through the whole World Showcase plus Epcot resorts would be amazing! BW is a home resort of mine, so that area is extra special to me!

Anyone have any idea if any of the scavenger hunt elements would be incorporated into the virtual 5k? I’m not sure how that would work (maybe through the app), but another trip to Disney is not in the cards this spring. I’m considering doing virtual with the kids, but if the scavenger hunt portion is the nonexistent, it doesn’t seem worth it to me. I’ve looked and can’t seem to find any info about this.

I'm really hoping for the 2020 marathon weekend 10k course! Running through the whole World Showcase plus Epcot resorts would be amazing! BW is a home resort of mine, so that area is extra special to me!
How did the finish go for the 2020 MW10K? Was it the same set up as the 2019 W&D 10K as that had to be THE WORST when it came to finishing

sidebar anyone have course maps of the 2018 Fall Feast 5K (aka the last 5K race at animal kingdom to give me course ideas)

How did the finish go for the 2020 MW10K? Was it the same set up as the 2019 W&D 10K as that had to be THE WORST when it came to finishing

sidebar anyone have course maps of the 2018 Fall Feast 5K (aka the last 5K race at animal kingdom to give me course ideas)
This is what I have - it is the Jingle Jungle 5k route from 2015.
C3A7DB7C-59B3-42F7-8868-FF83EA887C1C.jpeg

Not only can I give you that, but I can also give you every RD map in recent memory.

(PS: i miss the DL races)

The 10k is my favorite! For the 5k, I prefered the last Everest medal, but at least it'll look different to one I already have.
I like the 5K medal more after seeing the compass. The 10K medal has a nice France Pavilion in Epcot vibe to it which is why I love it so much. And Bellhop Goofy was just the touch I was hoping for on the 10 miler medal. Mickey on the challenge was a pleasant surprise.

Anyone have any idea if any of the scavenger hunt elements would be incorporated into the virtual 5k? I’m not sure how that would work (maybe through the app), but another trip to Disney is not in the cards this spring. I’m considering doing virtual with the kids, but if the scavenger hunt portion is the nonexistent, it doesn’t seem worth it to me. I’ve looked and can’t seem to find any info about this.

Disney ran an app based trivia/scavenger hunt event for CMs a few weeks ago and it made me wonder if that's what they were going to use for the Expedition Everest 5k. When I did the last Expedition Everest 5k, it was more like trivia and puzzles versus what I'd traditionally think of as a scavenger hunt (where you're looking for things).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter