Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been buzz that it might be pushed to January 2020, but we really won't know anything until probably early summer next year. With a project that size they won't even start to speculate on opening dates until they're about 3/4 the way completed.

To be fair when we were there last September (WDW), nobody would confirm an opening year for it - so they really might just not know

To be fair when we were there last September (WDW), nobody would confirm an opening year for it - so they really might just not know

Yep that's why I mentioned they can't even really speculate on an opening date until the project is pretty close to completion. Anytime there's major construction, lots can change over the course of the project and until it's clear WHEN the end might happen they won't make anything public. Disney already got bit by early projections with Rivers of Light (that opened almost a year after the original projected opening) so I don't expect they'll say much until the completion date seems to be pretty solid.

All it takes is one decent hurricane at the wrong time and they could be pushed back a ways. It just isn't possible to really have a feel. Plan a trip or don't, but know it may or may not be open. That's the only advice anyone can give right now.

All it takes is one decent hurricane at the wrong time and they could be pushed back a ways. It just isn't possible to really have a feel. Plan a trip or don't, but know it may or may not be open. That's the only advice anyone can give right now.
I think what I’ll have to do is plan a trip for early December 2019 and if it gets announced to open by then I will cancel the trip. Was hoping maybe something more solid would be announced in early 2019 but I do understand late fall is the best they can give people right now. I’m just hoping it’s waaaay late fall as in after mid December.

To be clear, dis has a end date. The problem is that the date keeps changing, thus the reason they wont release it. There is a weekly meeting between wdw management, schedulers and the contractors, they go over schedule and pre-planning. I guarantee this meeting happens once a week. As the contractor goes over what they have done and what didnt get done, the schedule gets adjusted. For example, if the contractor promised to have 4 structural walls up in 1 week but it took 2, it will push the schedule out and the contractor will have to explain why. Now, weather is only a very small part of delays. Most delays come from construction constraints. Like the steal that was ordered isnt bolting up like its supposed to, so the contractor has to submitt an RFI to the engineer and wait for a response on how to fix and move forward and getting this response can take days and weeks sometimes. So, does disney have a date, yes they do, will they release that date, no, because its still moving out weekly. If it moves to far, they will discuss ways to bring it in, more guys, overtime, etc..When they fill they have nailed down a date that they can hit and control, then and only then will they release it.

Keep in mind, wdw is tryn to piece together a million different pieces ordered from a thousand different vendors from all over the world. Nothing goed together like it should, there is goin to be a ton of field modifications and as builds.

Keep in mind, wdw is tryn to piece together a million different pieces ordered from a thousand different vendors from all over the world. Nothing goed together like it should, there is goin to be a ton of field modifications and as builds.
You do realize they are building two of these right?

You do realize they are building two of these right?

Yes, which makes things even harder. Because now their resources are stretched even thinner. These new lands are a massive undertaking. I work commercial construction on major projects in the oil refinerys. Just recently finished one of the single largest projects ever in construction at the BP whiting, Indiana refinery. I know exactly what wdw is tryn to accomplish and the constraints their goin through.

Yes, which makes things even harder. Because now their resources are stretched even thinner. These new lands are a massive undertaking. I work commercial construction on major projects in the oil refinerys. Just recently finished one of the single largest projects ever in construction at the BP whiting, Indiana refinery. I know exactly what wdw is tryn to accomplish and the constraints their goin through.
I’d argue an oil refinery is a little different than a theme park land but maybe that’s just me...

I’d argue an oil refinery is a little different than a theme park land but maybe that’s just me...

U are correct, it is alot different but the construction side of things are the same. U dont just buy parts like a puzzle and put it together. If ur not in the industry, ur not goin to understand. Just the nuts and bolts alone, hundreds of thousands of them, u agree. Every bolt has a spec and the contractor has to prove thats its torqued to spec on every single bolt/nut. So the contractor has a QC guy that has to verify this and show proof to wdw, paint marks, pics, qc packages over 6" thick. Then wdw QC has to buy off of it. Thats why u see paint marks on nuts/bolts at wdw and universal or any site for that matter. And thats just a tiny bit of what has to take place. Not including the steel, rebar, concrete, excavation, soil compaction, electrical and so on, i could list a hundred things. Heck, just to pour concrete u have to use a specific mix, has to b a specific slump, percentage of air, percentage of water and a certain temperature. I could go on for hours, ur not goin understand if ur not in construction management. On top of the safety regulations that wdw enforces and requires. So yea, the environment is different but the steel goes up the same.

Last edited:
U are correct, it is alot different but the construction side of things are the same. U dont just buy parts like a puzzle and put it together. If ur not in the industry, ur not goin to understand. Just the nuts and bolts alone, hundreds of thousands of them, u agree. Every bolt has a spec and the contractor has to prove thats its torqued to spec on every single bolt/nut. So the contractor has a QC guy that has to verify this and show proof to wdw, paint marks, pics, qc packages over 6" thick. Then wdw QC has to buy off of it. Thats why u see paint marks on nuts/bolts at wdw and universal or any site for that matter. And thats just a tiny bit of what has to take place. Not including the steel, rebar, concrete, excavation, soil compaction, electrical and so on, i could list a hundred things. Heck, just to pour concrete u have to use a specific mix, has to b a specific slump, percentage of air, percentage of water and a certain temperature. I could go on for hours, ur not goin understand if ur not in construction management. On top of the safety regulations that wdw enforces and requires. So yea, the environment is different but the steel goes up the same.
This ain’t WDWs first rodeo buddy.

Doesn't have to be their first rodeo. U can build swge a hundred times and ur goin get a different result and schedule every single time
Mmmmhmmmm

You’re entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine.

Lol...didnt mean to hurt ur feelings. Its ok u dont know anything about construction. Its not for everyone. And i dont just build refinery, ive built many bridges and roads right there in florida with superior construction.
Assume what you want...

So.... I was coming here to ask if we had an approximate of when SWGE was going to open because I think I want to take the family to WDW over Rosh Hashanah next year (Sept 29- Oct 1) and DHS is on my list of parks to visit to see TSL since it wasn't open when we were last there. I DO NOT want to deal with the SWGE crowds. Should I plan to go somewhere else? Really the only reason I want to go is for a MNSSHP and TSL.

So.... I was coming here to ask if we had an approximate of when SWGE was going to open because I think I want to take the family to WDW over Rosh Hashanah next year (Sept 29- Oct 1) and DHS is on my list of parks to visit to see TSL since it wasn't open when we were last there. I DO NOT want to deal with the SWGE crowds. Should I plan to go somewhere else? Really the only reason I want to go is for a MNSSHP and TSL.
You should be okay during that time but there really is no way to know until they announce an opening.

Highly doubtful that SWGE will open that early. You never know, but I would wager you are safe. SWGE is most likely opening after November 15th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter