• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are thinking capacity right now. People are going to want to eat Star Wars themed food and experience dining venues. Having two quick services keeps people moving and satisfies more guests than a TS would.
They could have had the 2QS AND have built out the TS that there's room for. That would satisfy more people.

If something like budget is the reason, that's penny wise pound foolish IMO.

They could have had the 2QS AND have built out the TS that there's room for. That would satisfy more people.

I’m sure budget did play a roll. When you’re spending $1 billion dollars on a single land you are going to have to make sacrifices. I don’t think it’s a bad thing they aren’t opening with a table service right now.

I’m sure budget did play a roll. When you’re spending $1 billion dollars on a single land you are going to have to make sacrifices. I don’t think it’s a bad thing they aren’t opening with a table service right now.
Disagree. :)

I would have thought the opposite -- why not have a TS restaurant that will eat guests for a while longer than a QS will and the pulls in $$? I don't get it, and I'm disappointed that there's not TS option at open.

I agree they will want a TS in there. I think TBH it's about the unknown and yes I'm sure the budget. But I think if they can get a handle for how to work with the crowds when/if a TS is added (and I'll assume eventually there will be one) they can learn a lot about the design, size, staffing levels, ways to get people in and out and it's not that I don't think they didn't already think this all the way through but maybe somewhere along the process the wheels started turning.

The average discussion on the Boards regarding TS is to plan on around 90mins for a meal that's a long long time for people to be sitting down in one place with only 1 other place to eat and thousands and thousands of people wanting to come into the land.

I'm wondering if they almost got spooked themselves on how much this land is anticipated. Plus if costs needed to be trimmed that's one that they can take off their list for a while because it's not related to a ride (like TSL and Pandora). They will at least still have no actual deduction from the land in terms of things other than a TS place is now a QS place but at least they aren't being completely foolish and having just 1 place to eat.

though I think there is benefit to having "the next thing" in their back pocket. Roll this out in 2-3 years and people will want to come back to check it out

Now if they never build one I fully agree with you

I agree they will want a TS in there. I think TBH it's about the unknown and yes I'm sure the budget. But I think if they can get a handle for how to work with the crowds when/if a TS is added (and I'll assume eventually there will be one) they can learn a lot about the design, size, staffing levels, ways to get people in and out and it's not that I don't think they didn't already think this all the way through but maybe somewhere along the process the wheels started turning.

The average discussion on the Boards regarding TS is to plan on around 90mins for a meal that's a long long time for people to be sitting down in one place with only 1 other place to eat and thousands and thousands of people wanting to come into the land.

I'm wondering if they almost got spooked themselves on how much this land is anticipated. Plus if costs needed to be trimmed that's one that they can take off their list for a while because it's not related to a ride (like TSL and Pandora). They will at least still have no actual deduction from the land in terms of things other than a TS place is now a QS place but at least they aren't being completely foolish and having just 1 place to eat.
I get what you're saying, but as I said, they could have opened with 2QS AND build the TS there's room for. What could the marginal cost be to add that restaurant while the whole thing is under construction? What would that be as a % of the project? Compared to what they'd gain in $$ and guest satisfaction having additional eating capacity and a TS option? Just strikes me as penny wise pound foolish to cut for a reason like budget -- if that's actually the reason.

though I think there is benefit to having "the next thing" in their back pocket. Roll this out in 2-3 years and people will want to come back to check it out

Now if they never build one I fully agree with you
This was the one and only "pro" that I am seeing here as well. Not sure that marginal gain in the future outweighs having it ready to go from day one, but it's at least plausible.

ETA: With the utter INSANITY that this place will be, I was looking forward to an actual BREAK from a nice TS meal -- QS just doesn't cut it the same way. They needed this at open even more than in the future in this sense.

Last edited:

Budget may have had a role, but to me a TS in this world is just one more bottle neck and major delay for park visitors to have to face and complain about. Opening this new land, and the crush it will entail and having QS to let people grab and go to what they want to do next is a good way to keep flow going. Plus I believe there will be food booths as well - so more options. Adding a TS later, once the initial crush drops will just be an added extra feature for some.

Budget may have had a role, but to me a TS in this world is just one more bottle neck and major delay for park visitors to have to face and complain about. Opening this new land, and the crush it will entail and having QS to let people grab and go to what they want to do next is a good way to keep flow going. Plus I believe there will be food booths as well - so more options. Adding a TS later, once the initial crush drops will just be an added extra feature for some.
I'm not sure why this argument keeps being made... I'm not advocating that they open with 1TS and 1QS -- I'm saying 2QS and the 1TS they had room for. A nice TS takes some people OUT of the rest of the park for longer. Not sure how that's bad if there are still 2QS options...? How could MORE capacity cause a bottleneck... I feel like my old Operations Research profs would disagree with this... ;)

I get what you're saying, but as I said, they could have opened with 2QS AND build the TS there's room for. What could the marginal cost be to add that restaurant while the whole thing is under construction? What would that be as a % of the project? Compared to what they'd gain in $$ and guest satisfaction having additional eating capacity and a TS option? Just strikes me as penny wise pound foolish to cut for a reason like budget -- if that's actually the reason.
I understand how you feel. I explained how I felt on why they opted to not do a TS right now such as crowd control, time spent in the place, the sheer amount of people wanting to get in and out of the place, so much easier IMO to do a wait and see approach.

I'll be honest too...I just don't want to deal with all the "I can't get an ADR" mess of a talk right when it's opening. In my mind there's just no need for a BOG situation right at land opening. And it's even worse with SWGE because it's a land they will close off once it reaches capacity. That's different than Fantasyland which is wide open to the rest of the park.

You and I don't disagree on the need for a TS.

I'm not sure why this argument keeps being made... I'm not advocating that they open with 1TS and 1QS -- I'm saying 2QS and the 1TS they had room for. A nice TS takes some people OUT of the rest of the park for longer. Not sure how that's bad if there are still 2QS options...? How could MORE capacity cause a bottleneck... I feel like my old my Operations Research profs would disagree with this... ;)
Because IMO demand for the TS would out pull the QS, and it would be a negative for those who would only want to do TS, to be forced to move to QS. Plus that would mean time lost in the land as you waited for your table. I would question why not open 3 QS(one in the expected TS later) to handle the initial flood of people, then convert over. That argument I could see.

Agree to disagree, how having people stand around outside a TS and taking up walking space, and losing time to spend in the land isn't a positive to me
I don't get the "taking up walking space" argument if it's appropriately built for capacity and has means to text people when their table is ready. And people CHOOSING to spend time out of the land is 1) a break for them, 2) takes people out of the CRAZY BUSY land for longer -- good for those out there. But yes -- agree to disagree!

I hope Star Wars land quick service isn’t like woodys lunch box. It’s not a very pleasant place to eat when it’s crowded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter