• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really. Why would they do that? For $600 an hour you are not allowed into GE? How many VIP tours are there that they need to limit it? And what if the VIP tour members all have reservations at GE? Weird. I believe this is a mistake.
Not a mistake. They are being extremely limiting during this first month.

I like that they are keeping it at a level ground for the most part.
It's funny people complain about disney thinking only about the money then when they do the opposite some think it's a mistake.

Is it really keeping a level playing field when the are requiring a reservation at one of their hotels to gain access? To me, it is just one form of monetizing the access but in a less obvious way (and maybe a slightly lower price point)

Is it really keeping a level playing field when the are requiring a reservation at one of their hotels to gain access? To me, it is just one form of monetizing the access but in a less obvious way (and maybe a slightly lower price point)
That's why i said for the most part.
They could charge for said reservation into the land
They could charge for fp
They could allow vip tour access

Last edited:

It's not required. It's just that a reservation guarantees you a slot to enter the land one time during your stay. Everyone else still has a chance to sign up for the remaining slots.

It's not required. It's just that a reservation guarantees you a slot to enter the land one time during your stay. Everyone else still has a chance to sign up for the remaining slots.
We don’t know the details of those remaining slots yet though.

I booked our vacation literally one day before the opening dates of SWGE were announced. We leave WDW on Opening Day. I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, so I was a bit bummed at first and considered extending our trip for 1 day. Then after really thinking about it, I feel Opening Day would stress me out. Star Wars isn't going anywhere. I'll be back when the entire area is ready for opening. Hats off to all of you who are braving the heat and crowds! I will live it all through your reports.

My family doesn't handle large crowds and long waits well, and wouldn't spend the money to go to Disney World at a time that we expect to be super-busy. (I know that Disney is crowded year-round now, but the marginal difference between a moderate crowd and a heavy crowd is still important to us.)

It looks like the only time that we can go this year--if we go at all--is Labor Day weekend. Usually, Labor Day is a reasonably good time to go to Disney, crowd-wise. Not nearly as good as the rest of September, but better than most other holiday weekends.

But this year, the Galaxy's Edge opening adds a huge wrinkle.

I'm excited for Galaxy's Edge, and am really looking forward to seeing it someday when it's less of a mob scene. But we're definitely not the kind of people who will stand in line for 4 (6?, 8?) hours for a ride, and we don't have any strong desire to be there for the opening. So we would probably avoid the area altogether--unless maybe the chaos is subdued enough for us to take a peek around, which seems unlikely!

What do you all think the Galaxy's Edge opening will mean for Disney crowds overall that weekend? Touring Plans has Hollywood Studios as a 10 the first three days, a 9 on that Sunday, and then an 8 on Labor Day itself. But it shows the other parks as not that crowded, and has the overall crowd level at 5 or 6 all weekend. But, of course, they haven't been all that reliable lately.

I can imagine two scenarios. (1) Galaxy's Edge draws a massive crowd, but it actually pulls people away from the rest of Disney Word (and maybe even the rest of Hollywood Studios), making this a pretty good weekend to go for people who, like us, are willing to save Galaxy's Edge for another time. (2) The Galaxy's Edge opening draws in massive crowds of people who, once they are there, want to do the rest of Disney as well, and the whole World is swamped like it's Christmas or Spring Break.

Any guesses as to which of those scenarios is more likely to come to pass?

Thanks.

My family doesn't handle large crowds and long waits well, and wouldn't spend the money to go to Disney World at a time that we expect to be super-busy. (I know that Disney is crowded year-round now, but the marginal difference between a moderate crowd and a heavy crowd is still important to us.)

It looks like the only time that we can go this year--if we go at all--is Labor Day weekend. Usually, Labor Day is a reasonably good time to go to Disney, crowd-wise. Not nearly as good as the rest of September, but better than most other holiday weekends.

I'm excited for Galaxy's Edge, and am really looking forward to seeing it someday when it's less of a mob scene. But we're definitely not the kind of people who will stand in line for 4 (6?, 8?) hours for a ride, and we don't have any strong desire to be there for the opening. So we would probably avoid the area altogether--unless maybe the chaos is subdued enough for us to take a peek around, which seems unlikely!

What do you all think the Galaxy's Edge opening will mean for Disney crowds overall that weekend? Touring Plans has Hollywood Studios as a 10 the first three days, a 9 on that Sunday, and then an 8 on Labor Day itself. But it shows the other parks as not that crowded, and has the overall crowd level at 5 or 6 all weekend. But, of course, they haven't been all that reliable lately.

I can imagine two scenarios. (1) Galaxy's Edge draws a massive crowd, but it actually pulls people away from the rest of Disney Word (and maybe even the rest of Hollywood Studios), making this a pretty good weekend to go for people who, like us, are willing to save Galaxy's Edge for another time. (2) The Galaxy's Edge opening draws in massive crowds of people who, once they are there, want to do the rest of Disney as well, and the whole World is swamped like it's Christmas or Spring Break.

Thanks.
I would not go unless you are ok not doing that many rides. As no one truly know what other will do you could have the first one happen and be fine or you could have the second thing happen and be not so fine

Thanks.
to your question, and this has been discussed in this thread and others. At this point there's no definite on what will happen, a couple of things to keep in mind:
If Disney decides to do a reservation system to get into SWGE
If Disney doesn't do anything to control the crowds and it's a "first come first serve"
So let's go with the "no reservation, first come first serve"
A lot of people will go to DHS early, for those that get into SWGE, great, for those that can't get in cause the land is at capacity they will either wait or go somewhere else within DHS or even the other parks
So my guess is that first thing in the morning only DHS will be super busy, but as the day goes on the rest of DHS and other parks will see an unusual influx of people, making everywhere very crowded
Now if Disney decides to do reservations to get into the land then it should be more predictable and be a relatively higher crowds weekend just because it will still pull more SW fans that are not necessarily Disney fans but want to be here for opening weekend of SWGE

Having a difficult time understanding why there will be an overnight line for Opening Day at DL if you can’t get in without a reservation that has a predetermined time slot?

Having a difficult time understanding why there will be an overnight line for Opening Day at DL if you can’t get in without a reservation that has a predetermined time slot?
There likely won't be an overnight line for SWGE in DL. We don't know opening day procedures for SWGE in WDW yet though.

There likely won't be an overnight line for SWGE in DL. We don't know opening day procedures for SWGE in WDW yet though.

Local media has been promoting an overnight line for May 31 and in June when reservations end. Just seems opposite the intention of dissuading folks who don’t have a reservation.

Local media has been promoting an overnight line for May 31 and in June when reservations end. Just seems opposite the intention of dissuading folks who don’t have a reservation.
Strange as I don't see why there would be a need or would allow them to queue before May 31st as they are only allowing guaranteed entries to hotel guests and anyone else will need a reserved spot that would be done ahead of time.

I guess if you have the first reservation spot for the first day you might want to line up overnight in order to be one of the very, very first to enter the land/ride Smugglers Run?

Does the rule for the overnight guests at Disneyland include those checking out on the day of opening?

I'm a bit nervous about WDW as we check out on the 29th as flying in the evening and if they then decide to have a reservation for those staying from 29th, then we'll end up missing out

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter