Still trying to accept that I have to have a ECV...

Thats what I was about to add, rent on offsite or rent one from home:goodvibes

We rented one for my mom(wc last time) here at home and took it along, what a godsend. She would have been wiped out by the time we made it to the hotel, so it was a big, big plus to already have it.

It was no problem on the plane either, I would think about it if I were you esp when keeping up with a 9 yr old!:)

Good Luck and have a magical trip:wizard:

Yeah I know what everyone means about the stares. For me that is hard. I’m very….shall we say pooh size. But the fact is that I’m pretty active. I have a 5 year old and she runs me day and night and I keep up. But a few years ago I had a VERY severe case of pneumonia. One thing it did was leave one of my lungs packed with scar tissue and with asthma. People assume I have asthma because of my weight. Which I find ironic because I have several friends who had it their whole lives and are UNBELIVEABLY thin. But people look at my size and make assumptions. That is always hard to take.

Anyway, on top of it all I just saw my doctor this morning and I have bronchitis. She is loading me up on meds and gave me the ok to fly. But she said that the walking is going to be VERY bad and that I should expect a lot of asthma episode. In light of this and the fatique she is recogmending an ECV. Which I hate the idea of, but I can’t cancel this trip.

For me I’ll ignore the people because I’m sure that people will be judging me. But we are traveling with my parents and I just don’t feel like dealing with their judgement. No matter what it is it becomes and excuse to harass me about my weight. Like I don’t look in the mirror daily and know…..
Anyway, I feel like renting an EVC will be like open season on me. I’m jsut not sure how to deal… My husband would always support me with them and these kinds of things. He always had a way to make me feel better. But I lost him this summer to a long battle with cancer. So to top it off I feel like I have no one I can talk to about this.

:hug: Oh honey, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. The ECV sounds like it would definitely make the holiday better for you. Never mind the random strangers, you won't see them again, so who cares if they get all worked up over what they think they see? Their ruining their own holiday, but that doesn't mean you have to let them ruin yours.

As for your parents, have you tried sitting them down and telling them how much their comments hurt? Sometimes parents do some very weird things in the name of 'helping' their child. They may not realise how their comments affect you, they may be trying to 'encourage' you :sad2:. You are who you are, you look the way you do, you feel the way you feel, and they are not going to change any of that by putting you down. Besides, what does it matter the outside looks like? It really truly is what's inside - who you are and how you feel - that matters.

Good luck, and I do hope things work out well, and you have a wonderful holiday. :goodvibes

:hug: Oh honey, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. The ECV sounds like it would definitely make the holiday better for you. Never mind the random strangers, you won't see them again, so who cares if they get all worked up over what they think they see? Their ruining their own holiday, but that doesn't mean you have to let them ruin yours.

As for your parents, have you tried sitting them down and telling them how much their comments hurt? Sometimes parents do some very weird things in the name of 'helping' their child. They may not realise how their comments affect you, they may be trying to 'encourage' you :sad2:. You are who you are, you look the way you do, you feel the way you feel, and they are not going to change any of that by putting you down. Besides, what does it matter the outside looks like? It really truly is what's inside - who you are and how you feel - that matters.

Good luck, and I do hope things work out well, and you have a wonderful holiday. :goodvibes

thanks! it is with the best of intentions that my mother does it. and i think she nows how i feel. because she will say, "i know this is upsetting, but as your mother it's my duty to......."
now she pulls the card about my daughter not being able to take losing another parent. with while you in the middle of grief you are just trying to breathe...so that is less than helpful.

Anyway... i do think i need to bite the bullet and get the evc. it's just hard to admit that.

I still get that niggly feeling in my tummy that I have to use a ECV to get around. I know I need to accept the fact but it's hard.
In my every day life I don't use a wheel chair because I can limit the amount of walking I do and if I'm having a bad day I can take it easy. I have Rheumatoid Arthritus and even though I can walk for a good couple of hours there is no way I could walk for an entire day around Disney.

Plus when you are at Disney and you park the ECV and walk to a regular seat or get up to stretch your legs you get those looks or comments from other people that don't see you as having a disability.

Hubby tells me to be sensible and just use the ECV because if I did over do it on my feet I really wouldn't be able to walk at all. The first time I ever went to Disney I refused to be in a wheel chair and walked around for most of the day even though my feet really hurt and by the end of the day I couldn't walk at all. I couldn't even make it from my bed to the bathroom without being carried.

I'm sure others that don't have an obvious disability or can do normal activities for a couple of hours before feeling tired or being in pain must feel funny about having to be in a wheelchair or ECV.

I suppose I'll get over it and make sure my 3 boys have a great time, DS10, DS6, and DS2.

Thanks for listening,

Anita

I know exactly what you mean. I am like you. I have very limited mobility, only walk very short distances and cannot stand as it locks my knee. I have osteoarthritis is both knees, not RA but my life is very restricted.

There was NO way I, a 40 year old, mother of a teen, was going to take use an EVC is WDW. I took my medicine and my cane. I mean really, how big could the parks be? Ha! Rude awakening!

I truly spent the first 4 days at WDW theme parks on the benches closest to the front entrance... I sent DH & DS on their way so I did not ruin there vacation, and I sat down. It was miserable. They kept begging for me to either get a WC or EVC but I just couldn't. It was making them feel guilty... me feel guilty... it was horrid!

Finally, as day 5 out 10 park days began at MK, it was day 2 at MK where day 1 was spent 1/2 day on the bench and 1/2 day back at SSR in our room, I snuck off... finally relented and rented an EVC from WDW. I tear up writing this still. I drove up by the castle and bawled! I had freedom! I got to actually see MK! I got to be with my family! OMG, it was the best choice I could have ever made! :thumbsup2 I called DH on his cell (they did not know I had the EVC yet) and they were close to boarding Space Mountain. I stayed by the exit and they were thrilled to see me waiting on them! :goodvibes

GO! ENJOY! Be with your family! See the park! Have fun! An EVC works like the legs we wished we had... no biggie! :)

Hi Anita!

I just wanted to post and say that that I totally understand what you are going through. I went through the same exact thing last summer when we were planning our honeymoon to the house of mouse. I'm almost 30 and like you was so afraid of all the looks people would give me if I rented an ecv because like you I don't appear like I have any sort of disability. In truth I have no cartilege in my knees from playing sports as a kid and it makes walking unbearable at times, especially when after walking for extended periods. I swear to you though..it was the absolute best thing I ever did. I wasn't in pain and I could last for longer periods of time when if I didn't have it, we'd have to be back in the hotel by mid afternoon with me with ice on my knees. It's not worth pain, you deserve to enjoy your vacation! I rented thru Care Medical, they were so nice and so helpful. I recommend them to everyone I talk to. You might get a few looks, but that's just people being ignorant. Don't let them ruin your fabulous vacation. Be proud of who you are and that you are taking care of yourself. That's the most important thing in all this. Good luck and have a fabulous time!

My DH and I have rented evc's the last 3 times we have been to Disney, we are both seniors and have knee problems and arthritis and I also have fibro. I am always surprised to read about the stares that people say they get because neither one of us have ever noticed anyone staring at us. It could be that we are so in love with being at Disney and looking at all the Magic that we are not even looking at the people. Also we have to keep our eyes peeled for someone who might walk in front of the ecv and we see a lot more butts than we do faces : ) Also I'm thinking by the time you get to be our age you no longer worry about what other people think! I guess that is one of the perks of getting older, you learn not to worry about what other people think, you know what is good for yourself. We love the ecv's and the freedom they give to us. We couldn't continue to enjoy Disney without them. Go and enjoy the freedom from pain that an ecv will give you and have a wonderful time.

We have been going to dis now for 15 years and for the first time this past January I had to use the evc in the parks. My family is the one that talked me into it. They said aren't you here to have all the magical experience you can. Of course and I knew I wouldn't be able to walk the parks because of knee problems this time. I was embarassed at first, but then I looked forward to getting to the next park and renting it. I felt so much better when we stopped somewhere along the way and I could get up and walk to a ride or look at something and not be in so much pain I couldnt enjoy myself. The only problem I ran into is my family couldn"t keep up with me. That was the joke of the trip. So rent the evc and enjoy yourself I didn't worry what others thought I was having to much fun.

My father inlaw has a heart condition. So he tires easily. He and his wife were not going to come with us last time because she said it was to much on him. We rented him an evc. Besides she said it makes him feel old. Well we got him one anyway. He loved it. It made getting around so much easier and he felt so independant. Now he will tell anyone who will listen about his trip with us and how much fun he had, and didn't even get tired. We are going again 4/28 to 5/2/2008. He can't wait. Spoke to him yesterday on the phone and he reminded me not to forget to rent the evc. So go for it, don't worry what others think. Lots of people have disabilities that are not readily noticable. That doesn't make them any less real. Just remember to relax and have fun. The rest of the family will to if they know you are comftalble.
:yay:

I think I'd have to have a serious conversation with my family - along the lines of "if you continue making references to my weight, I'm going to limit the time we spend with you. My doctor and I deal with my health issues. I just need YOU to love me as I am."

Please let us know how your trip went!

On past trips, I watched others in their ECVs with great envy, because I had mobility issues as a result of being decidedly "Pooh-sized." (5'4" 340 lbs. at top weight). But my own embarrassment about my weight kept me from renting one, since I couldn't bear to think of myself as "disabled" as a result of my weight, and I wouldn't have wanted to take one away from someone who "really" needs it, or to suffer the stares and comments of unkind strangers.

Now, years later and significantly smaller following gastric bypass surgery (down about 150 lbs.), I find myself worried about my upcoming WDW trip because of recent arthritis flare-ups. I have had mild osteoarthritis in my knees for years, because I carried so much weight for so long, but recently I have been having much more discomfort/pain, and it is in all of my major joints (shoulders, elbows, hips, etc.), not just the usual places. I know that I need to see my doc about this, which I am putting off because I don't want to hear any bad news, but I am already worried about getting around on my trip in October. And my self-consciousness has me afraid to even raise the idea of renting an ECV with my SO. I am also concerned about the "looks" from people who see a relatively healthy looking 40-something woman with an ECV.

I have many "good" days, where my discomfort is minimal, especially once the morning stiffness wears off. But on the "bad" days, even minimal walking around the workplace is a struggle. And, of course, there is no way to predict when a bad day is going to hit. So that leaves me with a few questions:

1. If I decide to wait until closer to my trip to see how I'm feeling, do I run a risk of not being able to get an ECV from an off-site rental place?

2. If I decide to chance it, what are the chances that I will be able to call an off-site place while I am at WDW and get an ECV for the balance of the trip if I decide I need one?

Thanks!
:hippie:

As you will be going in late October you should not have any problem renting an off-site ECV on short notice.

Please ask yourself the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are traveling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

:worship: hi mom of 3 !

Look at it this way if you don't use the ECV your only causing your self more pain then you need and their no shame in using an ECV espicaly when it comes to your helth . I hope you have a maigal day's with your family and pleass use the ECV!

I know how the people in this thread feel. I am only 30, but I have a tumor on my pituitary gland which is doing bad things to my body. I've seriously deteriorated in health over the last couple of months. Today I could barely walk at all. I hate the thought of having to use an ECV, but I'm headed to WDW in just a few weeks for 10 days. My dear boyfriend isn't going to like it one little bit, but I'm feeling like I have no choice. It's either rent one or not be able to do anything at the parks. I'm scared. I know people are going to look at me. I'm kind of overweight (5'6", 205 pounds, the extra weight is due to my tumor). From the outside I look "normal". A friend offered to loan me an ECV, but I can't take it with me because I have to go up to Boston right afterwards and I CAN'T have it with me, because of my friends up there. I don't want them to know how bad things are.

:worship: hi mom of 3 !

Look at it this way if you don't use the ECV your only causing your self more pain then you need and their no shame in using an ECV espicaly when it comes to your helth . I hope you have a maigal day's with your family and pleass use the ECV!
:thumbsup2
exactly

I suffer from foot pain... sometimes its severe, while other times its mild enough to walk without a limp... almost never is it totally gone.... I am used to being on my feet at work, but have opted to rent a ECV just because I know if I am off my feet even 80% of the time, I will have a much better time!!

We're off to WDW in 21 days and for the first time I am gonna have to use a wheelchair.

I have recently been diagnosed with a serious heart condition and even though I look 'normal' there is no way I could do WDW without wheels.

I find it very difficult when people stare at me and make comments just because they can't see my disability. I'm learning quickly just to ignore these ignorant people - they could be where I am next week.

I'm off to visit the mouse and have as much fun as I always do:cool1:

We're off to WDW in 21 days and for the first time I am gonna have to use a wheelchair.

I have recently been diagnosed with a serious heart condition and even though I look 'normal' there is no way I could do WDW without wheels.

I find it very difficult when people stare at me and make comments just because they can't see my disability. I'm learning quickly just to ignore these ignorant people - they could be where I am next week.

I'm off to visit the mouse and have as much fun as I always do:cool1:

You are using a wheelchair to shop, eat, play, or what. NEVER let what others think get in your way. NEVER worry about what others will think. If someone stares at me in my ECV then I turn to see what they are staring at like as if I was in their line of vision. Then I would say "Excuse me but is there something I should be concerned about, I do not see any imposing danger." Stare back at them like they are freaks of nature as people do not like you returning a stare. I have brain quirks and attitude problems lol.

The point is that we waste too much time worrying about what others think. Education also works. "I have 2 weeks to live if I am lucky and want to die in WDW" (snice me again). You have the right to use a wheelchain or ECV. At wal-Mart a woman wanted the ECV because she has blisters. She had a right but I was first and my knee HURTs and even with the ECV was giving out.

big hugs and remember you are there to have fun, seen new things, have family time, have some me time, eat new foods, smell new smells, and have a time away from doing household chores and stress. Enjoy your time and if people do stare or whisper then ignore them or explain to them the real facts as that will make them feel 1 inch high.

A few poeple on board like myself prefer using an ECV on rude people. :woohoo:

I have had someone ask me with my crutches (forearm or canadian type crutches) - "Do you really need those?" I replied, "Nope, they're my antenna to the mother ship!" That guy left me alone real fast.

When someone asked me "What's wrong with you?" I have been known to reply "Nothing has been the same since the aliens abducted me!"

Once a friend of mine, when a stupid/rude person asked her why she was in her wheelchair (she had some rare neurodegenerative disease), she looked down and started screaming "Wheelchair? What wheelchair... Oh no! Oh no! What happened to my legs!"

Usually I just ignore rude people, or if they ask "whats wrong with you," I just smile and say "Nothing is wrong with me."

Accepting a wheelchair for Disney was easy for me. Now I am starting to accept it in other situations in life, and that is proving much harder. But for Disney I just tell myself, it is the happiest freakin' place on earth and I am going to enjoy myself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter