Still trying to accept that I have to have a ECV...

Im in need of a heart transplant...I didnt want to use one at first but you bet your butt I will!!! ECV is the way to go, that way the fam can have fun to and not more of a workout....:)

I have learned my lesson from last year's trip. 13 days at the Poly, spent thousands of dollars, had no idea that my body was going to be my biggest enemy! I was in so much pain that to tell you the truth, that is all I can remember about that trip.:sad: My sons will tell you that too. My husband was always trying to convince me to rent an ECV but I was too stubborn. Spent the whole MONTH of October on short term disability at work because of my lupus flare due to my silliness. NEVER again I say. We are going back this September for 7 days and you can bet your bottom dollar that I will be renting my ECV and have it delivered the day I arrive!:thumbsup2 I will NEVER feel that way again. Like Cheshire says, who cares what others think? My pride caused a great deal of fall and I wont be doing that again. I want to ENJOY my vacation, I want to have energy left at the end of the day to ENJOY the memories we made. I learned that I cannot walk greater than 100 feet without my hips/ankles/feet being like I had run a marathon. WDW has a lot of walking and my stamina just wont hack it without help. Thanks to all of you I will be going this September with renewed hope, excitement and courage. This is a great forum!

At age 32 I had a total hip replacement. I'm really short. The dr used the shortest rod for my leg and it was still too long. Hence one leg longer than the other. Last year we rented a WC and I had the best time ever. I can walk but I limp slightly, if I walk fast I have a very pronounced limp. But if I have to stand still I am in soooo much pain due to the length difference. On our WDW the year before I was done by 3pm and cried if I had to go anywhere else because I thought I could do it.

Get the chair, enjoy the trip. Who cares what everyone else thinks. You'll never see those people again.

I agree with everyone in regards to getting a chair or ECV. My mom and I are big people and have over the past several times that we have gone to the world seen the increasing need for an ECV. My mousefest trip was the first time I got an ECV from off site so I can make it back to the resort. The trip before that was really hard on both my mom and I because we stayed off site due to my dad attending a meeting at the Orange County convention center and due to bad planning/demands we ended up spending more money between cab rides and etc then if we stayed on campus and he taking a cab back and forth to the meeting. Anyway back to my point, seriously think about what you want to do regarding getting the WC or ECV. If you have mobility trouble whether stamina or physical, Disney is not a park where you will be able to wing it and take breaks and sit down. Even during the slow season the wait times still go upwards of 30 minutes on some of the popular rides or in the case of the TSM 60 to 90 minutes.

I too have RA. I have these same feelings. It is worse because I am fat and they assume that I am lazy.
I still get that niggly feeling in my tummy that I have to use a ECV to get around. I know I need to accept the fact but it's hard.

In my every at life I don't use a wheel chair because I can limit the amount of walking I do and if I'm having a bad day I can take it easy. I have Rheumatoid Arthritus and even though I can walk for a good couple of hours there is no way I could walk for an entire day around Disney.

Plus when you are at Disney and you park the ECV and walk to a regular seat or get up to stretch your legs you get those looks or comments from other people that don't see you as having a disability.

Hubby tells me to be sensible and just use the ECV because if I did over do it on my feet I really wouldn't be able to walk at all. The first time I ever went to Disney I refused to be in a wheel chair and walked around for most of the day even though my feet really hurt and by the end of the day I couldn't walk at all. I couldn't even make it from my bed to the bathroom without being carried.

I'm sure others that don't have an obvious disability or can do normal activities for a couple of hours before feeling tired or being in pain must feel funny about having to be in a wheelchair or ECV.

I suppose I'll get over it and make sure my 3 boys have a great time, DS10, DS6, and DS2.

Thanks for listening,

Anita

i am very overweight but i am still extremely active. however a few years ago i developed a horrrible case of pnuenomia and haave perm damage to my lungs. breathing in FL is extremely difficult for me. so i do use an evc when i go to disney. i travel with alone with daughter(6.5) and i don't want her to miss thingss because of me. but it is hard becuase people do make judgment calls when they see me. honestly when it is the twwo of us i can say forget those people and i'll never see them again. but i feel bad for my daughter because she hears it too. and its a lot harder for a kid.

if someone made a comment about another guest who had a different skin color it would NEVER be acceptable. but for some reason its ok about someone who is a different size or has a different ability. i just don't get that...

I found this thread when surfing through the site, I agree and sympathize with you younger disabled ladies. I too have 3 children and am disabled with lupus. I have such anger when I see these people giving me dirty looks for parking in a disabled spot. Then don't see my 8yo helping me, putting his sister in a carriage, lifting groceries etc. If it helps at all your kids will grow up more empathic and responsible and kinder than those people. I am tempted to make a sign to hang on my car or ecv that says "It's none of your business, but it's lupus!". ah, feel better.

HI, I am also new to the EVC world. We have been to disney going on 6 times in the last 3 yrs.. I always ignored my back pain thinking it was from my knees.. In 08 I played womens tackle football and had my knee taken out.:eek:. I had my ACL replaced and 2 months later walked threw disney in pain . The last day , day 9, i let my kids get me a wheelchair for EPCOT.:thumbsup2 There are plenty of times i wished I had gotten a EVC but felt un easy.:mad: This past yr I have been having considerable pain in my back and I have burcistuis in my hips and arthritis in my knee.. Last week I had my first Sinvisc shot in my knee, and april 8th a week before we leave I am recieving my first set of Facet injections, I finally told my hubby that i was getting a EVC and he siad finally...lol..:rotfl2:. I have always been a very active person , I was a firefighter for 15 yrs, I played womens football. My son told me i was a guy trapped in a female body..:rotfl: I am pooh sized now since i have not been able to exercise but It is to the point i have trouble sitting in my chair at work and walking. I am having problems excepting this but i know I will enjoy Disney so much more than I have in the past. Besides the people that I plan to meet there anyway I really don't care what anyone thinks... Does anyone have any special advice for me about where and how to get around? I have prefered sports for 4 nights and AKL for 4 nights... thanks for listening to me....:lovestruc

HI, I am also new to the EVC world. We have been to disney going on 6 times in the last 3 yrs.. I always ignored my back pain thinking it was from my knees.. In 08 I played womens tackle football and had my knee taken out.:eek:. I had my ACL replaced and 2 months later walked threw disney in pain . The last day , day 9, i let my kids get me a wheelchair for EPCOT.:thumbsup2 There are plenty of times i wished I had gotten a EVC but felt un easy.:mad: This past yr I have been having considerable pain in my back and I have burcistuis in my hips and arthritis in my knee.. Last week I had my first Sinvisc shot in my knee, and april 8th a week before we leave I am recieving my first set of Facet injections, I finally told my hubby that i was getting a EVC and he siad finally...lol..:rotfl2:. I have always been a very active person , I was a firefighter for 15 yrs, I played womens football. My son told me i was a guy trapped in a female body..:rotfl: I am pooh sized now since i have not been able to exercise but It is to the point i have trouble sitting in my chair at work and walking. I am having problems excepting this but i know I will enjoy Disney so much more than I have in the past. Besides the people that I plan to meet there anyway I really don't care what anyone thinks... Does anyone have any special advice for me about where and how to get around? I have prefered sports for 4 nights and AKL for 4 nights... thanks for listening to me....:lovestruc

You will definately be able to enjoy yourself more... I usually rent one myself, but don't use one in my day to day life. I have feet that ache all over along with shooting pains.. and after an 8 hour shift at work, I can barely walk. Last year we had to skip Disney, but spent a single day at King's Island. I didn't bother renting anything and walked... by 2pm I was done for and just wanted to sit. By 7pm we were leaving... and I am usually one that likes to stay till closing!!! Rent ECV and don't worry about what anyone thinks..

The best advice I can give you is to get familiar with an scooter... I work 3rd shift in a grocery store and we have to move them around in order for the floors to get cleaned. So I practice parking and manuvering them. The hardest thing to do is parking them on the bus, so the more familiar you are with them the better...

Most important... ENJOY YOURSELF!

DH, DD (5) and I are going in May for the first time. Staying at Contemporary and getting an offsite ECV.

I'm 40 with fibromyalgia. I look healthy and expect "the looks". (I get them w/ my handicap car sticker too). Oh well. I can barely walk around my house lately w/o pain.

Can dd sit/ride on it with me if she wants? Wondering if we need a stroller for her too. DH will have to walk :)

Will I need to get one of those disability type bracelets (GAC card?)

Does being on an ECV affect line waits or FastPass or anything?

I can take the ECV on the Monorail, right?

We're mainly doing MK. Epcot 1/2 a day. DHS 1 day. I have to still figure out our rest breaks.

DH, DD (5) and I are going in May for the first time. Staying at Contemporary and getting an offsite ECV.

I'm 40 with fibromyalgia. I look healthy and expect "the looks". (I get them w/ my handicap car sticker too). Oh well. I can barely walk around my house lately w/o pain.

Can dd sit/ride on it with me if she wants? Wondering if we need a stroller for her too. DH will have to walk :)

We're mainly doing MK. Epcot 1/2 a day. DHS 1 day. I have to still figure out our rest breaks.

Disney highly frowns upon passengers riding on ECV because it is a safety hazard.
From what I understand... no GAC card is needed.
Lines don't seem to be affected much... sometimes you have to use a different line or transfer to a standard wc... the only extra wait is when you have to wait for a handicap car.... but if you are mobile (and it sounds like you are) you just have to transfer onto a regular car and leave your ECV or transfer WC behind.
ECVs are allowed on the Monorail.

Have fun!

You cannot put your DD on your lap. You will likely sign a contract with the company to that effect (i think most off site places have this is in their contract). it is very dangerous. I have even been hit by a man with his grandson on his lap, when the kid got a little too excited!

You will not need a GAC to use the ECV in line.

You will use the regular line for almost every line, and a CM will direct you if you do not use the main line.

There are a few lines an ECV will not fit in, and you will have to use a regular wheelchair available at the ride, such as RnR and ToT.

Sometimes with the ECV you will wait a little longer, sometimes you will wait a little shorter, genrally the wait is the same.

You can take an ECV into shows, but you will not be able to take it onto rides. If you cannot sit in a normal ride vehicle, you can transfer to a manual chair there, but in my experience the ride vehicle is as comfortable as the manual chairs.

You can use the ECV on the monorail.

Thanks!! I can walk, just not too much. (it's a cumulative thing for me)

As another person with Fibro, I recommend you check out the supermarket ECVs before your trip (if you haven't used one before). Many people with Fibro find the ECVs great, but, I find that the need to hold down a lever to move really inflames my Fibro and an ECV would actually lead me to being in more pain -- enough so that I walked with a cane when we went to WDW 2 weeks after I tore my knee apart.

There are some models that use a different mechanism. So, if you know in advance if the standard doesn't work, then, you can arrange accordingly. Like I said, they work for many people with Fibro, but, Fibro is such an individual disorder that you need to be certain you are meeting your own needs.

IF I didn't rent an ECV(outside source) while in WDW I could not go. When I buy groceries I lean on handle of grocery cart to reduce pain in back. I had spinal fusion surgery 5 yrs. ago. Although I am much better re pain I still have some pain, some days awful pain. I am in my fifties and some days r better than others. Next month my grown daughter and my granddaughter(2) and I will go to WDW. When I told my daughter how we will get on the rides quickly she said well I will feel guilty. After I explained the only way I could go would be to use an ECV she agreed and then all was ok. She was thinking since they didn't need consideration for easier access she didn't consider my HAVING to have easier access. So plz plz don't allow others to make you feel bad. love is all there is

IF I didn't rent an ECV(outside source) while in WDW I could not go. ... When I told my daughter how we will get on the rides quickly she said well I will feel guilty.

You should know that the ECV will not get you on rides any more quickly than usual. Every now and then you may get lucky and get on faster, but, by my calculations (based on the days when my DW has been able to park the w/c and wait in the lines) the average wait is longer when using a w/c or ECV.

Maybe this will help your daughter?

Have a great trip!

... My son told me i was a guy trapped in a female body..:rotfl: I am pooh sized now since i have not been able to exercise but It is to the point i have trouble sitting in my chair at work and walking. I am having problems excepting this but i know I will enjoy Disney so much more than I have in the past... Does anyone have any special advice for me about where and how to get around?
I'm sure if you've been reading around here, you've already figured this out, but just to make sure - rent your ECV from an off-site vendor. That way you don't have to depend on getting to a park in time to get one, and you'll have it to get to and from the busses. I've always used Walker Mobility, and they've always been great. One time my scooter died in the one of the parks, and they were there in under and hour with a new one. Their batteries seem to last forever, too. I've used their scooters for 16+ hours and it seems that the needle showing the charge level barely moves. I'm sure the scooters from other companies are probably just as good; I just don't have any experience with them.

Oh, and as a PS - I've always thought I was a gay man trapped in a woman's body! I wasn't a tomboy - I always like hanging with my gay male friends, LOL! :laughing:

...The hardest thing to do is parking them on the bus, so the more familiar you are with them the better...Most important... ENJOY YOURSELF!
Amen about parking them on the busses! And of course, I'm already self-conscious because of the people waiting to get on the bus. Some bus drivers are terrific about loading the EVCs, though, and that really helps! :love:

I'm sure if you've been reading around here, you've already figured this out, but just to make sure - rent your ECV from an off-site vendor. That way you don't have to depend on getting to a park in time to get one, and you'll have it to get to and from the busses. I've always used Walker Mobility, and they've always been great. One time my scooter died in the one of the parks, and they were there in under and hour with a new one. Their batteries seem to last forever, too. I've used their scooters for 16+ hours and it seems that the needle showing the charge level barely moves. I'm sure the scooters from other companies are probably just as good; I just don't have any experience with them.

Oh, and as a PS - I've always thought I was a gay man trapped in a woman's body! I wasn't a tomboy - I always like hanging with my gay male friends, LOL! :laughing:

Hi have rented one for the whole trip threw Randys mobility.. They were very nice over the phone. I get in late monday , so they said to call monday night when i get my room # and the guy will be out at 8 am at my room with the EVC... I have used the ones in the stores on and off do to my knee surgerys and more recently cause i had done to much one day ...lol...

Wow. Thank you for this thread. I read it all. My Dad rwas recently ill, and now will be need an oxygen tank for most part sof a day however long he lives (which I hope is a really long time!) . He can walk slowly for a few minutes at a time, but the days of him walking WDW for hours is gone. He is having a really hard time with this. He was trying to tell me he thought, if he rested lots, that he could manage without an ECV. "Where to put your tank, Dad?", I asked. "The stroller" was his reply. :idea: That is a man having a difficult time accepting his new reality. I want to scream "Your lungs are garbage now!" but I don't. I simply told him what was what and he sort of rolled his eyes. Thank you for helping me understand. I also had no idea that people commented about ECVs riders. That's crazy. That's evil. I never realized. I guess I will paint Dad's tank a nice orange color, and maybe the tubes in his nostril will keep the idiots at bay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter