Summer with a 4-5 month old or Thanksgiving with a 9 month old

lilouisianagal

Mouseketeer
We would like to take our 5 year old son on his first WDW trip (our last visit I was very pregnant with him!). He loved our Disney Cruise at almost 3yrs old and still begs to go back. Husband is a teacher so we are locked into higher volume times. Our daughter is a month old so we have a choice between toting a 4-5 month old through summer parks or 9 month old through T-day. We will likely have my parents with us to help out either time.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to take a little baby when it’s so, so hot. There’s not much of a difference between a 5 month old and a 9 month old as far as “supplies” are concerned, and the baby may have a more predictable routine by 9 months. I’d say go in November, but I’m sure you’ll get varying opinions on this!

My vote is for 9 months, mainly because you're more of a functioning person at 9 months than 4ish months...and you might be able to remember things. Whereas 4ish months is a blurry zombie haze.

If you are not from a humid, southern climate, DO NOT take a baby that young in the summer. It will be very hard to regulate the baby’s temperature, make sure they are hydrated enough, and keep the sun off their skin. You can’t give them water or use sunscreen that early. And all the cooling towels and stroller fans in the world are not enough to keep the baby comfortable. We did WDW in the summer with a 13month old and she was miserable even though we took all the precautions and tips she was miserable.

November. 4-5 month old might not be able to sit up yet. Also, it'll be much more comfortable for you to use an infant carrier in November. We did early December with an 11 month old and it was great. We had some warm days, but not instant sweat like in the summer months. ;)

because of other reasons we can not do school time trips. we did an August trip with a 4 month old. she did great and we used a double off site rental with older sister. did not use car seat or carrier as those were too hot for her or mother. biggest problem we had was no infant highchairs at most restaurants but we were a large group for most meals so she was passed around a lot.

Just be aware that the crowds at Thanksgiving will be much higher than in the summertime. ( Except if you are planing a July 4th trip then volume would be about the same)

I would also say November, based solely on the fact that you can use sunscreen on the baby then.

Also, she might recognize more then. We took our son on his first trip at 7 1/2 months old, and he had just started watching some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. We also showed him an old Disney Sing-a-long called Disneyland Fun, which shows the park characters.

When he first saw Mickey at a character meet, he started flapping his legs and arms and squealing with delight. He definitely recognized him, and it's one of my (many) favorite Disney memories.

As a teacher, I don’t have the option of Thanksgiving. I only get the holiday and the day after off only amounting to 5 days off, so we’ve gone Christmas, February (when we used to get vacation) and every other time in the summer. I would love to try a cooler time of year.

With a baby, November is a much better option. Like everyone else said, it will be difficult keeping the baby cool in the parks. You won’t be able to use sunscreen. Besides, you will have extended family with you so celebrating Thanksgiving in a unique way should be fun.

Another vote for November, and my reason is the summer rains. It does rain almost everyday in the parks and is not a few drop is a massive amount of water it doesn’t last long but I won’t risk a 4/5 month old baby potentially getting wet. As far as crowds this summer will be crazy with the Toy Stoy Land opening, just like Thanksgiving week maybe?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter