Sunrise Safari ?

Sally Bradley

Mouseketeer
We're splitting our stay between GF and AKL...trying to determine...I know the Sunrise Safari is available to concierge guests only Tues and Sat. BUT...I cant figure out. Say you want to do the Saturday one...is it the Fri. nite you have to stay, then go on Safari Sat morning, or go on Safari Sat am and stay there Sat nite?

Also, what is the cost adult & child?

Dont mean to make this so complicated!
Thanks!
Sally

Hi Sally,

You have to stay the night before. They will bring you an invitation the night before telling you what time to meet in the lounge. I think it's about 7am.

It is offered on Tuesday or Saturday and the cost is $49.95 per adult and $24.95 for children 3-10.

I just booked mine for May 16.

Not complicated at all.

Liz

I've heard that this is not really the thing for children under 3, but CAN you bring them? Are they free?

You can bring them, I'm not sure if there is a charge. That said, my Sunrise Safari was disrupted by several younger and very bored children (infants/toddlers) who made a lot of noise, refused to sit down, etc. In fact they made so much noise at a couple of points I couldn't hear the guide. :( School age children would probably enjoy this very much. But I would think twice about bringing toddlers or younger. They won't get much if anything out of it, other than seeing the animals, which they can do on the regular (free) safari during park hours.

JMHO.

Anne

Originally posted by Gillian
I've heard that this is not really the thing for children under 3, but CAN you bring them? Are they free?

Hi Gillian,

When I booked my safari I asked that question and was told that all children are welcome. The cost for my 4 year old is $24.95 and my 2 year old was a no charge.

They'll have a blast, mine are so excited about it.

It's doubtful we'll be going again before DS turns 3, and soon we'll have 2, but you can never tell! Thanks for the info.

It seems I'll also have to research how early in the morning you can get a babysitter!

Hi gillian,

The kids clubs I believe open at 4:30 pm, so they wouldn't be an option. You might have to go to in room babysitting. Don't know too much about that other than I think they are called Fairy Godmothers. Sorry I can't give you more info but it is just something I'm not comfortable with.

Sorry about stealing your thread, OP!

Fairy Godmothers is great! I would use them again without hesitation, but not with an infant, I don't think. 2 YO DS was fine. He was asleep most of the time, and we weren't out that long, really. But getting an in room sitter is a personal decision.

Maybe they should start charging for all children, regardless of age, so that if a baby or toddler (2 yrs. and below) disrupts the safari at least the parents will have the excuse that they paid for it also so it was their right to be on the safari. Maybe that would also discourage those with babies from going on the safari. Not trying to start a debate here, but I remember reading a previous thread from Ducklite about how her safari was spoiled by unruly children. I would have been just as upset as her if I paid all that money and couldn't hear the guide. Or maybe if enough people complained to AKL about it then they'll put an age restriction on the Sunrise Safari. Yes, I know, there's no age restriction on the regular AK safari, but then again you're not paying an extra $49.95 per person to go on it. By the way, I have a 3 yr. old who is not always an angel so I've had to deal with my fair share of unruly behavior and tantrums. :)
Also JMHO, so...blast away if you must!

JOC, maybe you're right, they should charge for all ages. That way it will be the parents choice about bringing their children or not. Another option might be to open the kids club at the AKL on Tuesday and Saturday am's and offer free or very low cost childcare for children who's parents are going on the safari.

And BTW, it's refreshing to hear from a parent on these boards that admits their kid isn't always a perfect angel :)

Anne

JOC, I understand what you are trying to say, but I don't think it will really make a difference. Sometimes kids are well-behaved, sometimes they aren't, regardless of how much their parents paid to get them in. And some parents care about how their kids behave, and others don't, again, regardless of the price of admission. Or they let the rules go while on vacation.

If kids are really a problem, and people complain, the better thing to do would be to make it age restricted. Many of the behind the scenes tours are adult only. Or they could add a day & do a more family-oriented tour.

I haven't really read a lot of reports of kids on the sunrise safari anyway. I've only heard of it being a problem for one person on the DIS.

Gillian, I agree with you.

there are several backstage tours around Disney. I thought there was one at the Animal Kingdom park, but I might be mistaken.

Most of what I've read has also been positive. As for paying for all children, I'll gladly pay for my 2 year old. I mentioned this to the concierge staff at AKL and they said absolutely bring him and "don't give it a second thought". And that was after I got blasted by one poster on a previous sunrise safari thread.

Originally posted by JOC
Maybe they should start charging for all children, regardless of age, so that if a baby or toddler (2 yrs. and below) disrupts the safari at least the parents will have the excuse that they paid for it also so it was their right to be on the safari. Maybe that would also discourage those with babies from going on the safari. Not trying to start a debate here, but I remember reading a previous thread from Ducklite about how her safari was spoiled by unruly children. I would have been just as upset as her if I paid all that money and couldn't hear the guide. Or maybe if enough people complained to AKL about it then they'll put an age restriction on the Sunrise Safari. Yes, I know, there's no age restriction on the regular AK safari, but then again you're not paying an extra $49.95 per person to go on it. By the way, I have a 3 yr. old who is not always an angel so I've had to deal with my fair share of unruly behavior and tantrums. :)
Also JMHO, so...blast away if you must!

I have only been on the regular safari offered to everyone so I can't speak for the sunrise safari. Just wanted to say that my last experience on the safari was ruined NOT by noisy children but by foreigners yelling and whooping it up every time they saw an animal. We couldn't hear the guide for the entire trip! The guide would just look back and smile like an idiot. The children on the safari were quite good. We didn't hear anything but maybe a "look mom!" No big deal. So lets not slam children for being there and interupting our precious lives. They have EVERY right to be there whether they get in free or not or whether you like it or not. If you think the safari might be spoiled by noisy outbursts then perhaps you should not go on the safari. Please do the rest of us that favor. It doesn't matter if someone is young, old, free, charged, American, or foreign. There are unruly guests in every bunch. It is WDW and children are welcome whether some like it or not. Me? I like it. :D

Gee Skiwee1,
Don't hold back...tell me how you really feel! I'm not going on the Sunrise Safari (and will probably never go, because I have no desire to). Also, I don't think I ever slammed children...in fact, I even said I have a 3 yr. old who also acts up from time to time, so I do know the feeling. Get a grip already!

i think that there are some people out there that is unhappy, they post on alot of threads about something happening and it ruined their time, just like on the concierge thread. get over it, you have that many people in one space and stuff is bound to happen, i just cant see dwelling on something forever, get over it and go on with your lives.parents who have children have the same right as everyone else to go on the safari, if the AKL thought that it was that much of a problem letting kids under a certain age go on the safari there would be a rule about it,dont you think.some people no matter what will never be happy,and try to make everyone around them miserable too.remember WDW is for everyone not just certain people.:rolleyes:
to the OP you do have to stay the night before to be able to go on the safari.i hope you and your family have a wonderful trip, dont let these negative people keep you and your family from doing something you want to do.

I posted about an experience I had. Would you rather I lied? Not all kids are going to be happy on the safari. It's a much different experience than the one normally offered in the park. A lot of kids don't like to have to sit still and quiet for that long, especially first thing in the morning. Many parents don't realize that this is a more "technical" program than the one they offer to the public. I was simply trying to alert parents to the fact that this is not an appropriate activity for all kids. I don't know about you, but when my son was young and squirmy and unhappy, I was probably more miserable than he was. It's a lot of money to spend if you aren't really aware of the program and thus are able to make an informed choice on if this is appropriate for your family or not.

If you don't like my posts, don't read them. You are now doing the same thing you are accusing me of doing, judging others.

Maybe I just hit a little too close to home for some people.

Anne

did i say it was you in particular, i dont think i did, lol. it did not hit to close to home for me.after you bring it up, nowhere in your post did you say that it was more tecnical or any longer than the normal safari,dont know where thet came from.i just dont think you should try to discourage anyone from doing something.

Originally posted by JOC
Gee Skiwee1,
Don't hold back...tell me how you really feel! I'm not going on the Sunrise Safari (and will probably never go, because I have no desire to). Also, I don't think I ever slammed children...in fact, I even said I have a 3 yr. old who also acts up from time to time, so I do know the feeling. Get a grip already!
\

LOL! I did not mean for it to sound like the "you" was aimed at you! I realized that after I reread my post and then your post. I quoted you only because you were talking about charging children. I didn't see where you slammed any kids and I really wasn't referring to you. Sorry!!!

We are staying AKL concierge in November 03 and I was planning on the sunrise safari. I have 3 kids who will be 6,4 ,& 2, and I absolutley plan on all three coming. I do Disney more for the kids than myself & DH so why would I exclude them from something like this? It seems to me some people on this thread would prefer a kid-free WDW. I just don't get it. If kids bother you som much than perhaps you need to look into other vacation options..Just my HONEST opinion:smooth:

I'd like to throw out a couple of questions.

If you take your children on the Sunrise Safari, and they are antsy, noisy and disruptive, what do you plan on doing?

This is a serious question, please don't say "my child won't be", because you can't guarantee that. What is your plan fo dealing with this in order to not disrupt the tour for everyone else?

I'm not child bashing. I'm just asking how you would handle it.

I'd also like to know from others what they would do if they were on the SS and there was a child (or adult) being very disruptive.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter