Sunrise Safari ?

Originally posted by ducklite
I'd also like to know from others what they would do if they were on the SS and there was a child (or adult) being very disruptive.

Anne

I would complain to someone in guest services. I would also ask for a refund.

I'd hate to spend $$ money on the SS and not be able to enjoy it.

I don't believe EVERYTHING at disney is for EVERYONE.

The way I see it, everyone is entitled to their own opinions-some want young children on the SS, some do not.

Everyone has a different point of view on the situation and we can't say that one person's opinion is better than someone elses.

I also don't need to be told to find other vacation options if for some reason I don't think young children should be on the SS.

Is this thread going to turn into the concierge guest problems thread and be locked by the end of the day?

Originally posted by MOMTOMOOTOO
We are staying AKL concierge in November 03 and I was planning on the sunrise safari. I have 3 kids who will be 6,4 ,& 2, and I absolutley plan on all three coming. I do Disney more for the kids than myself & DH so why would I exclude them from something like this? It seems to me some people on this thread would prefer a kid-free WDW. I just don't get it. If kids bother you som much than perhaps you need to look into other vacation options..Just my HONEST opinion:smooth:

Well, we just came back from a stay at the AKL Concierge and we did the Sunrise Safari on the morning of Feb 4th. We are childfree by choice and there were other couples there that did not have children with them. There were also many families with children. They spilt you into two trucks and the guides did a good job of putting all of the families with small children on the same truck. We had a few children on our truck but they were older and fully able to understand that this is a back stage tour with a guide speaking and therefore they are suppossed to behave and not disrupt the tour for the other guests.

I do not want a kid-free WDW but what I do want is for parents to keep control of thier children. My mother would never have allowed my borther and myself to distrub others enjoyment at an event.

I think parents know their children. If someones toddler is not capable of sitting still for 45mins to an hour then they should not be brought on a backstage tour that is that long. Whether we are at WDW or the movies if a parent decides to bring a child that is not capable of sitting still and behaving for the period of time that the event is scheduled for then bringing that child is not logical and has no regard for the others at the event.

Our Sunrise Safari was very good because the guides did a good job of seperating the two groups but if children did disrupt the tour I would have been lodging a complaint with the Concierge Manager and asking for a refund.

Other backstage tours have age limits. I would suggest that anyone who goes on a Sunrise Safari that is disrupted by children you should lodge a complaint with the Concierge Manager and request a refund. If this happens enough then maybe they will install an age limit.

There is also a rumor that they might be requiring a min night stay before allowing people to take the Sunrise Safari as many people are booking just one night on the Concierge level to be eligiable for the safari. The rumor is that they might be requiring a min of a 3 night stay before someone is eligiable to take the safari.

Thanks for the info Tiffany! I'm glad to hear they are now splitting the people into two groups. This wasn't done when we went on our safari, and it makes a lot of sense. I'm not asking for a child-free WDW. I'm asking for some common sense solutions like this one.

We visit a fine resort in Upstate NY every year. While they don't refuse children in the dining room, they do two things. First they make it explcitly clear that while all well-behaved children are very welcomed into the dining room, disruptive children will have to leave immediately, with a zero tolerance policy. Next they offer a special, if parents with younger children dine before a certain time (6:00pm maybe?) the children will eat for free. This way the can accomodate everyone--parents can enjoy fine dinding with their children, yet adult diners can be assured of a disruption free experience as well. It's a common sense approach, and because the parents know the "rules" in advance, they can determine what will work best for them.

Anne

I think most posters who are bashing Ducklite don't understand where she's coming from. I don't believe that she's complaining about being around all children in general, she's merely pointing out the bad experience she had with babies/toddlers during her Sunrise Safari. The Sunrise Safari is a PAID safari, and not too cheap at that ($49.95/adult, $25.95/ages 3-9). The regular AK Kilimanjaro Safari is free. The SS lasts for 45 minutes to an hour; sometimes longer from some posts that I've read. The KS is maybe 15-20 minutes at most. Can babies/toddlers not be disruptive for 45 minutes to an hour? Some can, some can't. I know my 3 yr. old likes the regular safari, but I know him and I don't think he's quite ready for an hour-long ride. If he started whining that he wanted off the ride for whatever reason, what would we do? Some parents don't care if their children are disruptive; I'm not one of those parents.

Thanks for the info Tiffany! I'm glad to hear they are now splitting the people into two groups. This wasn't done when we went on our safari, and it makes a lot of sense. I'm not asking for a child-free WDW. I'm asking for some common sense solutions like this one.

Anne

You are welcome ducklite. We have done other backstage tours and the age limit has always been 16. I was surprised when I went to the meeting area for the Sunrise Safari and saw all of the children under 16 with many in strollers.

The tour and the trip was amazing. We are considering making the AKL Concierge a must do for our "short" trip every year. The whole staff was out of this world and Don is over the top great.

I also found a new wine Indaba. I got a local store up here to order me a case. You got to love Disney prices. Mara was selling it for $28 a bottle and we just paid $7.99 a bottle. The only difference is the year. The stuff servered at WDW is 2000 and what we got was 2002 but I cannot tell the difference. A wine expert could probaly but it still tastes great to me. Sorry for going on so long but we just loved our trip so much.

Originally posted by MOMTOMOOTOO
We are staying AKL concierge in November 03 and I was planning on the sunrise safari. I have 3 kids who will be 6,4 ,& 2, and I absolutley plan on all three coming. I do Disney more for the kids than myself & DH so why would I exclude them from something like this? It seems to me some people on this thread would prefer a kid-free WDW. I just don't get it. If kids bother you som much than perhaps you need to look into other vacation options..Just my HONEST opinion:smooth:

Hi momtomootoo,

Have a great safari. My kids are 14, 4 and 2 and are definitely coming with us. In fact when I spoke to AKL concierge, I specifically mentioned the complaints of certain people on the board. I was told that they rarely have any complaints about children on the safari, which is probably why they haven't started an age restriction.

Tiffany, thanks for info on the separate safari trucks for families and others. I think that would be great this way those of us with children can also enjoy the safari without the glaring eyes of those that don't want the kids on the safari. In fact, I just sent an e-mail to concierge regarding the same thing.

And what if my 2 year old gets antsy, well I have the perfect solution. I'll just whip out his favorite thing and nurse him. That will keep him quiet for a long time. :teeth: :teeth:

Now hopefully that won't start an anti-breastfeeding campaign.

Originally posted by lizzie64
[BAnd what if my 2 year old gets antsy, well I have the perfect solution. I'll just whip out his favorite thing and nurse him. That will keep him quiet for a long time. :teeth: :teeth:

Now hopefully that won't start an anti-breastfeeding campaign. [/B]

As long as its not your 14year old!!!LOL Anyway thanks Lizzie64 and you too have fun!! Just one question, how soon in advance did you book the safari? I just booked the room last week and haven't even thought about booking the safari yet?

And Tiffany, thanks so much for that update, I would much rather be with people that also have children..you know the old saying, misery loves company!! If heaven forbid one of my WELL BEHAVED PERFECT children should well, act like a child at least the others would understand.

Thanks Momtomootoo,

You book the safari 90 days out. We booked it as soon as we hit 90 days. It's a big to do in our house.

Have fun.

think parents know their children. If someones toddler is not capable of sitting still for 45mins to an hour then they should not be brought on a backstage tour that is that long. Whether we are at WDW or the movies if a parent decides to bring a child that is not capable of sitting still and behaving for the period of time that the event is scheduled for then bringing that child is not logical and has no regard for the others at the event.

I agree with the above.
We won't be doing this on our next trip but we might on our trip after that (atleast a year later) in which case our youngest daughter would be at or almost 4 and might be ready for such a tour.

But please PLEASE people... let's not try to restrict yet another tour. I can't tell you how many tours I would love to do but I can't because of the age restrictions when I KNOW atleast my oldest (9yrs) would enjoy them. But I can't, because of the age restrictions. There's already plenty of tours that children aren't allowed. Let's not add another one.

The "true" backstage tours with age restrictions are for insurance purposes. I don't consider the SS a backstage tour at all.

Anne

The "true" backstage tours with age restrictions are for insurance purposes. I don't consider the SS a backstage tour at all.

Anne

Apparently they do consider it a backstage tour, or least partially.

Again - this is quoted from the AKL Concierge Document sent to me:

Sunrise Safari Breakfast Adventure: This experience is exclusive to concierge guests staying at our resort. It is offered on Tuesdays and Saturdays. The safari starts at 6:30am if the park opens at 8am & it starts at 7:30am if the park opens at 9am. You would meet in the concierge lounge at 6:15am or 7:15am, depending on park hours & will check-in at the concierge desk. An animal programs cast member will be meeting our guests in the concierge lounge to give a run down of the morning's activities. You will then take a private bus, which will go through some of the backstage areas at Disney's Animal Kingdom. You will then walk over to the Kilimanjaro Safari attraction and board the first jeep onto the savanna. You will be able to ask the animal programs cast member questions and there will be frequent stops for you to take pictures. The safari will last from 45 minutes to 1 hour long. Afterwards, you will head over to the Tusker House Schoolroom where there will be a delicious breakfast buffet that awaits you. While you are enjoying your breakfast, there will be cultural representatives from Africa to answer any questions you have about their country or about Disney's Animal Kingdom. Afterwards, you will be issued a FASTPASS to go back on the Kilimanjaro Safari & compare it to your previous safari. You are free to go about your day, at this point. If you would like to go back to the resort, you will take the regular bus back. The cost is $49.95 for adults and $24.95 for children 3 to 11. There is a 48hour cancellation policy. If you have special needs (wheelchair or ECV) or dietary needs, please let us know so that we may accommodate you.

I've taken the tour before. You see very little backstage, and even the "backstage areas" you see are still not "true backstage". There is a big difference between this and the Backstage Safari tour, which I've also taken. That is a true backstage tour and is age restricted. There is a HUGE difference between them. If you had taken both I'm sure you would agree.

Anne

That is your opinion.

The rest of us are entitled to ours as well. The AKL Concierge staff is calling it backstage, but I guess all your experiences at Disney make you an expert.

I go by what they tell me.

Everyone at concierge should have the opportunity to experience the sunrise safari. And I firmly believe, if you are unhappy with your experience contact an intinerary planner at the concierge desk. I'm sure they will be willing to help you.
They've been very helpful and reassuring to me that we will have a fabulous time.

Hopefully, all the negative posting about children ruining experiences for all won't deter those that really would like to do anything at Disney.

And as for not taking both, as you said the "BACKSTAGE" tour is age restricted. I would never dream of leaving my children out of something while we were spending family time together. The sunrise safari is not age restricted, so we will be doing that.

We are all allowed our opinions on these boards and should be able to post without repercussion. If you need to believe you are right - so be it.

To the OP - hope I answered your question. If you need more info you can pm, me as I have the paperwork from concierge to give you more details with times and etc.

Lizzie, at this time I could say the sky is blue and you would argue with me. You've accused me of being a child hater who wants to make all of WDW childfree. That is far from the case. But I think that some common sense needs to be put into perspective. It sounds like they have done that by putting families with younger kids into one jeep and familes with older kids and adults into another. That is a reasonable compromise for everyone. I wish it had been done when I took the tour last time.

All I know is that I paid $100 to take the SS in December of 2001, and the experience was ruined by parents who didn't bother to think about whether the experience was appropaite for their children. I had a two year old behind me yelling in my ear and clonking me on the head. I politely asked the parent to get him to quiet down and stop flailing his arms and was told to go to he## in so many words. I complained to the concierge, again very politely and was told that "Sorry, nothing we can do, no refunds".

I'm taking the SS in about two weeks. This time if a child is as disruptive as the last time, I'm going to demand that the parents pay me for my fee and time. And I'll make a scene if it comes to that. The last time I tried to be discrete and not do so, and it got me nowhere. Had you been in my shoes I'm sure you would have also been very disappointed. It was not an enjoyable experience with a kid yelling in my ear, two others yelling two seats behind, and getting clonked in the head repeatedly by an out of control toddler having a meltdown.

Also it's not truly a backstage tour, in relation to WDW's other backstage tours. If you are thinking you will be seeing lots of behind the scenes stuff, you won't be. Yes, they drive you backstage to get to the loading area of the Safari ride, but that's it. Other than that there is no backstage tour, and you do'nt see the interesting backstage areas. I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to clear up any misconception you might have.

If you have that many problems with what I say, from now on do me a favor and just don't read my posts.

Anne

Ann, I think that you should have gotten a refund on your last safari. It is a very expensive experience to have ruined by inconsiderate parents and screaming children. Hopefully your next safari will go better. It wouldn't bother me to see maybe a 6-7 and older age restriction. Thankfully our safari was quiet and uneventful, but I would have been very upset if I had spent that amount of money only to have to listen to a crying toddler or unruly children drowning out the guide.

Look Anne,
I would never have had a problem with you except that you very rudely told me I should do everyone a favor and sit in the back when I take the safari because I have younger kids. All your posts from then on have also been very negative towards children and you also seem to fight me and contradict me on everything I say regarding my children and parenting.

You've even contradicted me when I've said that I know my children and their behavior. I believe you even said my children were not normal, because I said they were well behaved.

I'm sorry your experiences were ruined by youngsters. I would have definitely complained to concierge and asked for a refund . or maybe you could have mentioned it to the tour guide, maybe they could have made an announcement. I'm surprised that if the children were that unruly, the guide didn't notice and make mention of it.

We definitely don't agree on our philosophy of Disney and the enjoyment of it.

You mostly read negatives on these boards and sometimes the positive experiences are downplayed because no on has a complaint.

I strongly feel that everyone should be entitled to do what they'd like at Disney and it is a good parent's discretion. Several of your posts refered to not knowing inappropriate behavior, and seeing my adored children through rose colored glasses. I took exception to that.

You do not know me or my children and are not qualified to make such a judgment about me or my children.

So since you obviously don't agree with me either , Please do me a favor and don't read my posts as well

Ducklite,
Let it go...it's not worth the effort you put into your posts. For what it's worth, I (as a parent) understand where you're coming from. Like you said, maybe you just hit a little too close to home for some people when you posted about unruly children.

I did the SS when it first started. The breakfast at Tusker House was excellent.

I was wondering if Disney has kept up the quality of this breakfast?

When we went, our group ate and ate and we barely made a dent in the food. Does anyonw know if you can just book the breakfast?

I would most surely do this.

Thanks,

Joe

mjr0483- I've spoken to people that have just gotten back from the safari and said the breakfast is exceptional, fabulous, awesome.

I've seen pictures of it and it does look great. We are looking forward to the breakfast almost as much as the safari.

These are some great pictures that Janet2k posted

Janettwokays pictures of the sunrise safari and breakfast

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter