Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In circumstances of highly contagious pathogens, it is necessary to over-react BEFORE it seems obvious that we should react. If we don’t over-react early, we risk missing the window, at which point over-reacting doesn’t help very much.

what sucks is, if we succeed, naysayers will go “see, it wasn’t that bad after all!” and the rest of us will roll our eyes and groan

Here’s the text in case the photo doesn’t load for whatever reason:

Disney Destinations said:
Given the necessary closure, all Annual Passholders who have Passports that are valid during the closure period, will have their Passport expiration date extended based on pass type and level of access due to the impacts of the closure. The extended date will be reflected on your Passport account prior to our reopening of the parks.

Annual Passholders on the monthly payment program will remain on the current payment schedule and continue to make their scheduled payments. These Annual Passholders will have their Passport expiration date extended based on pass type and level of access due to the impacts of the closure, and will not be required to make any payments during that extended period.

For Disney Flex Passholders, we will cancel reservations for the duration of the closure without penalty.

Lets hope they give us the same number of days that the park is closed. We paid for 365 park days. They should deliver.

My assumption was that they are providing an extension for every day it was closed. However, I see now that wasn’t explicitly stated.

Is it two much to hope that they will give me two weeks beyond the Christmas blockout?

I believe that they’ll extend APs for exactly as long as the closure. Otherwise an extension would seem mostly pointless.

I am sure passes will be extended by the length of the closure. I honestly expect them to extend the closure before the end of March. I am fully expecting the parks to be closed through June.

My optimistic reading of the message is that it won't be a calendar day by calendar day extension, but rather based on the number of pass days that are lost due to the closure and extended by an equal number of pass days. For instance, if the parks happen to re-open April 1, a Southern California Select passholder will have lost 10 Monday to Thursday pass days when they could theoretically have gone to the park, so their pass would be extended by 10 pass days. So if their pass was set to expire May 31, in order to provide equal value with the summer blockouts, their pass would be extended all the way to September 1. By contrast, someone with a Signature or Signature Plus pass would simply get a calendar day extension. So my hope is that someone with a Flex Pass that is set to expire December 14 would have it extended past the Christmas blockout period.

Last edited:
I think they were vague because there’s no guarantee this is only going to be a two week closure.

My reading of the message is that it won't be a calendar day by calendar day extension, but rather based on the number of pass days that are lost due to the closure and extended by an equal number of pass days. For instance, if the parks happen to re-open April 1, a Southern California Select passholder will have lost 10 Monday to Thursday pass days when they could theoretically have gone to the park, so their pass would be extended by 10 pass days. So if their pass was set to expire May 31, in order to provide equal value with the summer blockouts, their pass would be extended all the way to September 1. By contrast, someone with a Signature or Signature Plus pass would simply get a calendar day extension. So my hope is that someone with a Flex Pass that is set to expire December 14 would have it extended past the Christmas blockout period.
You’re probably right. At least, I hope so.

Also, I’m simply not going to worry about it right now. Disney has generally tried to do right by its customers.

7 days ago, I think, I argued on this very board that this whole thing was blown out of proportion. I’m eating those words now, and all the crow, and I feel remorseful for ever having said it. The absolute BEST we can hope for at this point is the containments actually work, and success is misinterpreted as hysteria. The worst thing that could happen... well, Italy probably won’t recover from this for decades.

My optimistic reading of the message is that it won't be a calendar day by calendar day extension, but rather based on the number of pass days that are lost due to the closure and extended by an equal number of pass days. For instance, if the parks happen to re-open April 1, a Southern California Select passholder will have lost 10 Monday to Thursday pass days when they could theoretically have gone to the park, so their pass would be extended by 10 pass days. So if their pass was set to expire May 31, in order to provide equal value with the summer blockouts, their pass would be extended all the way to September 1. By contrast, someone with a Signature or Signature Plus pass would simply get a calendar day extension. So my hope is that someone with a Flex Pass that is set to expire December 14 would have it extended past the Christmas blockout period.

This is the way I read it at first and seems the most likely after a few read throughs. Especially as it would cause an outcry to extend lower tier passes with expirations right before a long block out. I certainly would want everyone to get actually usable days regardless of pass level.

I've got a Sig+ so mine will be easy peasy with this method.

Just got the email. Oddly this may work out for us financially since this last week was the first time we used our pass. We were able to get pretty much our whole vacation done before they closed the park and with the extension we should also have next year’s spring break covered too before our renewal date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter