Surrounded by Swashbuckling Pirates: The Sarcastic's Voyage to Disneyland

PirateFish989

Mouseketeer
Welcome and Introduction: Meet the Sarcastics

Hello and welcome to my trip report! This is my first trip report so we'll see how it goes. There are so many amazing writers on the Boards who set the standard pretty high. I have decided to write this trip report now (even though it happened in May!) because, well, I have time. I will be a freshman at UC San Diego this fall and I don't start until September 27. As I have no life until then, I may as well occupy myself somehow.

First off, let me tell you what you can expect to encounter in this voyage across the uncharted (and quite frankly frightening) territory of Southern California called Los Angeles to our final destination, Disneyland (for 4 days).

1) A totally complete account (well, as complete as I can remember) of our trip to the Land
2) Witty and sarcastic remarks as well as quippy comments

Very well, you now have been warned about what will be included in this report. If you feel you can't handle it at any time, please, keep going...it might get better.

Shall we begin?

OUR MISSION:
The reason for out trip was to attend to Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End World Premiere at Disneyland (I suppose me might as well sneak in some park time, too). You see, there were two ways in which we could attend this event:
1) buy a $1500 ticket and see a private showing of the movie, one week before it comes out in theaters, with tons of celebrities and the other suckers who paid that ridiculous amount (now, don't get me wrong...all of the proceeds from these tickets went to Make a Wish Foundation, which is absolutely wonderful! But, puh-lease! $1500 to see a movie? And, okay, granted Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp were there, but still, $1500?! We can see it next week for $8)
2) Stand on the red carpet (well, next to it behind barracades) for 18 hours and catch a glimpse of a celebrity, maybe get an autograph.

So what did we do? You guessed it! We waited ALL DAY, in the sun, on the sidewalk on Main St., for a few measly pictures and an autographed park map. Now that's what I'm talking about. But more on that later.

So that's out reason for this trip. Let's move on to the introductions...

THE PLUNDERIN' CREW
Who exactly are The Sarcastics you ask? Well, let me tell you!

Me (Erin), 17, senior in high school (and NO! I did not get senioritis!) If you ask my mom, I have a snotitude but I just don't see it :rolleyes1 . I've been to Disneyland about 5 times in my life. When my family was planning our last trip (August 2006) I really got into Disney (thanks to Lisa...see below) and have been obsessed ever since.
My mom (Carol), older than me, a wonderful person. She is the mom everyone wants to have. She's fun, energetic (expecially in the morning :scared: ), is up for anything, makes some AWESOME cookies and pies, and makes sure no trip is complete unless we learn SOMETHING! (It's the teacher in her. Oh, and don't worry, we even learn something during this trip). Like me, she has been to Disneyland a handful of times, but is not as "into it" as me.
Lisa, 10 years younger than my mom, lives for Disney and Disney planning. She is probably the most sarcastic person I know and is just nice. Lisa is a Disney fanatic and her family has annual passes so they go several times a year to Disneyland. Of course, she has been to Walt Disney World.
Kailyn (Lisa's daughter), 10, fifth grade. The 3 S's apply to this darling girl - sweet, smart, and sarcastic. You just can't say enough good things about her. She is truly a pleasure to be around! When you live with Lisa, you can't help but learn all there is to learn about Disney, therefore Kailyn's knowledge is vast. She is also into theater arts.

You are wondering why we are called The Sarcastics. I know you are. As I said above, Lisa and Kailyn are sarcastic, but my mom and I are, also. On the Sarcastic-O-Meter (scale of 1-10, 10 being almost annoyingly sarcastic) we rate as follows:
Erin - 5 or 6
Carol - 7
Lisa - 9.25
Kailyn - 6 (she's still learning from her mother)

How did two families this different (age and interest wise) get to become friends? Well, several ways, in fact.
1) My mom teaches preschool, located at a church (NOT affiliated with the church, just located there, always has been) and Lisa works for the church. They obviously see each other at work.
2) Kailyn and I swim on the same recreational swim team, the Buccaneers (Coincidence? I think NOT! - think the Incredibles). My mom was the Head Coach of the Bucs for 8 years and coached Kailyn. I coached (Kailyn, actually) last year and Lisa was President of the team.

How did this trip come about?
It all started the day after Christmas, when I watched my new Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest DVD and became obsessed with everything Pirates. In the special features section, there is a segment on the premiere for the movie. After watching it the 4,000th time in 2 days, I looked at my mom and said "We have to go to the next one." My mom agreed and we discussed the possible choices of who to go with. The logical choice was Lisa ad Kailyn, knowing the are everything Disney freaks. My mom invited Lisa in early January, while at work, and Lisa immediately said "YES!" And so it began. The Sarcastics were born (more on planning later).

It was a mutual descision to introduce the rules, our Three Commandments, to live by. They are as follows:
1) NO MEN! NO EXEPTIONS! Men, especially the men in our families, just cause all sorts of complications when traveling (My dad turns in to Grumpy when on a Disneyland vacation. Apparently Mr. Lisa does too). And it's obvious - Girl's Rule, Dogs Drool.
2) No whining - this is in direct accordance with rule #1.
3) Eat as much crap (whatever you want, when you want, as much as you want) as humany possible without throwing up.

Up next: Chapter 1 - Planning (with pictures!)

Table of Contents (click to go to that post)
Chapter 1: Everybody Loves Planning
Chapter 2: It Takes Two (Extra Hours!)
Chapter 3: Harry Potter and the Smelly Shoes
Chapter 4: The Purple Badge of Courage
Chapter 5: The Kitchen God's Servants
Chapter 6: (Line) Angels and Demons (with no manners!)

Chapter 7: Digital Fortress (or Frustration)
Chapter 8: The Adventures of Alice in Wetland
Chapter 9: A Time to End

How refreshing to read about people who appreciate the wonder that is sarcasm rather than being confused and offended by it.

I'm strapped in and ready for the ride. I'm expecting good things. You promised pictures, don't think I didn't notice.
:cool1:

1) NO MEN! NO ACCEPTIONS! Men, especially the men in our families, just cause all sorts of complications when traveling (My dad turns in to Grumpy when on a Disneyland vacation. Apparently Mr. Lisa does too). And it's obvious - Girl's Rule, Dogs Drool.

:rolleyes: ….Women…..:rolleyes: ..........;)

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip and I also noticed the reference to pictures so don’t forget.

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip and I also noticed the reference to pictures so don’t forget.

Thanks for joining in!!! I'm already working on my second installment w/ pictures!

How refreshing to read about people who appreciate the wonder that is sarcasm rather than being confused and offended by it.

Hello eargal!!! I love sarcasm! The world is just a better place when sarcasm in involved. I know so many people that just don't get it and it frustrates me! Thanks for reading my trip report. Chapter 1 is coming up soon (with pictures!)

Chapter 1: Everybody Loves Planning

When we last left off, The Sarcastics had just been formed, the Three Commandments established and Lisa and Kailyn had agreed to join us on out voyage to Disneyland to witness the spectacle that is the Pirates of the Caribbean 3 Premiere. Now, keep in mind this was only January.

At the time, Disney had not released the date of the Premiere yet (or was there even going to be a Premiere this time?) So how could we plan if we didn't know when this event was going to happen. Well, Lisa, Planning Queen Extrordinaire, did some research and came up with a guess of when it would be - about one week before the movie was to be released to the public (which was May 25). So that puts us at the weekend of May 19. It worked out that both families were able to go then but that was the ONLY time we could both go. I couldn't miss too much school, this being my senior year and all, so middle of the week is out if we want to be there more than one day. I had my league swim meet for high school 2 weekends before May 19 that I ABSOLUTELY could not miss. Kailyn was in a play the weekend of May 12, so that was out too. So it needed to be the weekend of May 19 in order for us to go. We just had to wait until the release of the date.

Anyway, we decided we should make hotel reservations for Friday May 18 - Sunday 20 just in case. Lisa called the Grand Californian (being as georgous as it is, this was our first choice) and they were booked. Already? So she proceeded to the Disneyland Hotel - booked. Huh? It's only January! The Paradise Pier? Booked! What??!! So the moms had a discussion and we decided the Candy Cane Inn is out next choice. It is close (closer than the Disneyland Hotel) and is nice and they have a continental breakfast! So she calls and they have availability. Whew! So that's where we are staying.

Moving on...

Meanwhile, my mom and I went CRAZY while waiting. I became addicted to ebay buying Pirates stuff (don't worry, I've been through counseling and have overcome my addiction :thumbsup2 ). I purchased this rockin' beach towel with Captain Jack Sparrow and the beautiful Will Turner on in, which I have fallen in love with (the towel, I mean. Although, that Will Turner...)! My mom bought a Pirates fleece blanket with the Dead Man's Chest logo - very cool! I also bought the full size movie posters from the first two movies because "I just had to have them!"

It was till only February and we STILL didn't know when it was and if we were going. The waiting was getting to be unbarable! I couldn't even think about it because if I did my brain would explode with excitement, thinking of what it would be like. Would we get dreamed by the Dream Squad? Would the Dream Squad be giving out tickets to the Premiere (how cool would that be?) Would we meet Orlando Bloom (sigh), Keira Knightley and Johnny Depp? Would they invite us into the Premiere as their special guests? Also, I couldn't think about it because I didn't want to get my hopes up and then be crushed like a run over water bottle in the middle of the street if we couldn't go.

Finally, on a Saturday in early March, I was getting ready for swim practice when Lisa calls. Is this the call we've been waiting for? I am pacing up and down in my parent's bedroom listening to my mom's end of the call (now, I only have on my swim suit and my Uggs. If you have never witnessed this sight, well, I'll just leave it at that). All of a sudden my mom gasps, says "What?" and then screams "it's on May 19! We can go!" I jump around and run through the house (thankgoodness my dad and younger brother weren't home. They would have laughed). I almost hyperventilate. My heart is practically beating out of my chest. I wouldn't be suprised if you could see and hear it across a football field. So, I'm late for practice now, but WE CAN GO! I carefully mark how many weeks left on my Pirates wall calendar in my room and then go to practice (priorities!)

So after some of the initial excitement calms down a teeny tiny bit, The Sarcastics plan a "planning lunch." Unfortunately, not much planning went on. At one point, Kailyn says "Can we please get back to Disneyland?" you go Kailyn!

Here we are at Applebees (Lisa, Kailyn, me, my mom)
2007_0422Easter20070001.jpg

Here we are by the fountain outside Applebees (I laugh at Lisa's pose every time. My mom told her to lean in so she bent in half. Ha!) Fountains were supposed to be a theme for us, but you'll see how that goes.
2007_0422Easter20070002.jpg

Now were at Cold Stone Creamery.
2007_0422Easter20070011.jpg

Oh look, another fountain!
2007_0422Easter20070013.jpg

At this lunch, we did decide that we would be in the parks for 3 days - Friday, Saturday (Premiere day) and Sunday - and would be driving down Friday morning. We also decided we needed to make shirts for Friday and Saturday.

My mom and I, being us, decided (we sure do decide a lot) we needed Goodie Bags for each of us after we saw these little brown tote bags with Captain Jack on them for $1 each at Target. So we spent the next 2 months buying everything in sight that had to do with Pirates or Disney. But now our little Jack bags are too small! So what do we do? Well, we make our own, of course! My mom, the supreme seamstress (no joke! You should see all the patterns she has made herself for some of my most amazing Hallowen costumes...Snow White, a princess, a bride, a lion, the Queen of Hearts) whips these beauties out.

2007_0520DisneylandandPirates0002.jpg

2007_0520DisneylandandPirates0007.jpg

2007_0520DisneylandandPirates0004.jpg

and we assembled them, putting about $100 worth of stuff in each (Yes, I said $100. We had too much time to gather!) But this is what my mom and I do. Stuff like this.

So now it is the beginning of May - we're almost there! We meet again to make our shirts. We each are making 2 - one for Friday and one for Saturday. Our Friday shirts are yellow with various brightly colored Mickey Mouse fabrics in the Shape on Mickey's head on the front and have "Disneyland 2007" on the back. the Premiere shirts are while with skull and crossbones fabric and have a skull inside Mickey's head on the front and the same back as Friday's shirts but in different fabric. I wish I had pictures of these because they are too cute! You'll see them later though.

Here is an outline of our Plan:

Thursday (wait didn't I say we were leaving Friday? :rolleyes1 )
Leave Visalia at 1pm and stop by Starbucks on the way out of town (a tradition)
Drive down to Anaheim and arrive at the Candy Cane Inn between 4:30 and 5:00
Check out Downtown Disney and eat at the Rainforest Cafe (7:00 reservations)

Friday
Get to the entrance gates of Disneyland early early early!
Be the first in line and RUN to the rope drop
No other plans

Saturday - Premiere Day
Carol & Lisa get up early (3am) and go wait in line in order to get primo sports along the red carpet
Erin & Kailyn meet them there at 6:30 when park opens
Wait all day on Main St. until red carpet event begins at 5:30ish

Sunday
Begin at Disneyland at opening and then head over to California Adventure for its opening.
Finish at California Adventure and head back to Disneyland
Leave around 6pm and drive home.

I'm now counting down the days, hours and minutes until it is go time.

3 days left
2 days left
1 day left
10 hours, 23 minutes, 6 seconds left
6 hours, 45 minutes, 13 seconds left
1 hour, 5 minutes, 40 seconds left
20 minutes, 54 seconds left
1 minues, 1 second left...

And...

Coming up next: a SUPRISE, driving through LA and getting lost

Eargal - it is nice to know that I am loved my someone! Thanks for reading. I'm planning on posting my next installment shortly. I'm working on getting the pictures to post smaller than the last ones, but we'll see how that goes!

Let's recap: We've (meaning Lisa, mostly) planned, made shirts, and spent a small fortune on Goodie Bags filled with almost the entire Disney Store and Target. When we last left off, we were counting down until we left, so let's continue.

Day 1: Thrusday, May 17, the Suprise!
As promised, there is a suprise. The moms and I had planned to leave Thursday (not Friday) so we could get a good portion of our souvenier shopping done early (HA!) and have dinner at the Rainforest Cafe and get to bed at a reasonable time as we wanted to be in line well before Disneyland opened the next day. But, Kailyn had NO IDEA! For the past two weeks, she had been wigging out about leaving Friday morning, thinking we would spend a good portion of the day in the car, not Disneyland.

This is where it gets good. We were going to suprise her by picking her up from school shortly after lunch (1:15ish) so I left school as soon as the bell for lunch rang. Of course, me being in a hurry, I hit every single signal red! I finally get home and hop in my mom's car that was ready and waiting. She had already picked up Lisa and all of Lisa and Kailyn's stuff so all I had to do was get in the car and we were off to suprise Kailyn at school.

We pull into the elementary school parking lot (which is about 45 seconds away from my house) and Lisa goes into the office to excuse Kailyn and page her to come to the office. We all wait by the office and we wait and we wait. Where is she? Her classroom is right there! We walk to get closer and stand at the end of the hallway. A classroom door opens and aha! Here she is! When she sees us all, she looks suprised and we say, as loud as a "school voice" allows, "SUPRISE! We're leaving for Disneyland now!"

We captured her reaction:

200705170001.jpg

We all get in the car and we're off! We decide to get lunch on our way out of town as we are all hungry and postpone our traditional Starbuck's stop until just before we reach the Grapevine. So, we go to get sandwiches at a little cafe located at the school district's library (wierd, I know, but good). Of course while we are in there, we tell the workers where we are going and they all get excited (well, except one who looked like we all had boogers smeared across out faces or were about to atempt to walk on a trapeze to New York).

We get our sandwiches to go and get in the car. My mom and I take this opportunity to hand out the much needed Goodie Bags. Lisa and Kailyn rummage through them and ooh and aah. And, finally, after 4 long months on agonizing waiting, we begin to head out of Visalia. Woohoo!! :woohoo:

Now, the ride down is only supposed to take about 3 - 3.5 hours. Supposed to. That puts us there between 4:30 and 5:00, plenty of time before we need to be at the Rainforest Cafe for our 7:00 reservations. Out trip to the Grapevine was pretty uneventful. Lisa read out entire Plan outloud as I couldn't wait a second longer to hear it. Kailyn read a book (how, I don't kow. If I even look at a book in a car I get queasy). AS planed we stopped at the Starbucks located at the rest stop just before the Grapevine. We all went to the bathroom and then ordered. I got a pastry of some sort. Kailyn got a yogurt parfait. Lisa got some tea thing and my mom got coffee (iced or hot, I'm not sure). So back in the car we go.

I put the Pirates 2 DVD in the DVD player in my mom's car for Kailyn and I to watch. Having seen it about 47 times in the last 4 months, I get bored fairly quickly and stop watching. I join in the conversation my mom and Lisa are having up front about books (we are all avid readers...note Kailyn's previous activity). The ride is going along swimmingly. I go back to the movie only when the part of Will and Elizabeth metting again on the little island to find Davy Jones' chest comes on, wishing some how I could transform into Elizabeth. Maybe Harry Potter will come along and I can convince him to transfigure me into her in front of the rest of the muggles in the car. Although this would complicate things drastically, was my two fictional worlds collide.

Anyway...

As I was saying, we were moving along well until all of a sudden we come to a creeping crawl before we reach Los Angeles. This continues the ENTIRE way until we reach Anaheim. I have two comments: 1) thank goodness Disney is so rich and pays their taxes so the city of Anaheim can have a mongo freeway, and 2) there are 9 freeways that corss I-5 in between the Grapevine and Disneyland. I counted.

We finally reach Anaheim (at 6:15, only about 1.5 hours behind schedule) and take the Disneyland Dr. exit. Somehow we get confused and instead of going straight on Disneyland Dr., we end up in the Mickey and Friends parking structure. We turn around, go back across I-5 and down Harbor Blvd. and into the Candy Cane Inn parking lot. Lisa checks us in while Kailyn and I explore the FOUNTAIN outside the lobby.

200705170003.jpg

200705170002.jpg

200705170004.jpg

We get out room key and go to our room and unload the car.

200705170005.jpg

200705170007.jpg

200705170006.jpg

It is now a little after 6:30 and our reservations at the Rainforest Cafe are at 7:00. We head out, grabbing our sweatshirts, and walk to Disneyland and the security tables. We pass through and cross the esplanade and enter Downtown Disney. On our way we walk quickly through the World of Disney, scoping out any possible things we want to buy (how about the entire store?), checking out the Pirates of the Caribbean section specifically (I'm looking for a very specific Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End shirt. It is black with the logo on the front, very plain, but exactly what I want. I don't even know if they make it. I just dreamed it up, probably). We then continue on the the Rainforest Cage (or Cafe) for dinner.

Coming up!
Chapter 3: VOLCANO! and a hidden Mickey.

Chapter 2: Harry Potter and the Smelly Shoes (Day 1 continued)

Excellent trip report, I love your style of writing! Great pictures too, can't wait for the next part.

Erin,
Another great update :thumbsup2
Glad you made it to the hotel, I live here and still have to be careful on the I-5 exit at Disneyland Drive or I end up going the wrong way.

Excellent trip report, I love your style of writing! Great pictures too, can't wait for the next part.

Hello and thank you! I try to write how I talk which can be difficult at times. I tend to talk with my hands alot so writing is difficult for me. I'm glad you are enjoying it and thanks for coming on board!

Glad you made it to the hotel, I live here and still have to be careful on the I-5 exit at Disneyland Drive or I end up going the wrong way.

Why must it be so confusing? But fortunately we made it unharmed with minimal amounts of raised voices.

Day 1 continued

We've just arrived at the Rainforest Cafe after trekking through Downtown Disney, resisting the urge to stop at every store we see and being careful to not be lured in by the amazing smells coming from Wetzel's Pretzels and Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen, oh, and pulling each other away from the Pin stand.

200705170008.jpg

Lisa checks us in and the woman at the front (was she in an elephant?) tells us to follow the footprints upstairs. So, we follow the footprints, as told, on the floor as they wind us through the entire gift shop (I guess they want you to do some shopping) until we reach the stairs. We climb the stairs and we see this:

200705170010.jpg

The host upstairs seats us at a table next to the kitchen door.

Lisa and I are facing the door (carefully camouflaged as jungle) and my mom and Kailyn have their backs to the door.
200705170009.jpg

Aren't we cute?

We look through our menus (they are huge! food wise that is) and order drinks. I don't know what everyone else got, but I got a Cookies 'N' Cream milkshake. Yum-O! and a water (as I don't like soda). We continue browsing our menus (they sure are big!) when suddenly

"VOLCANO!!!!!"

We all jump out of our seats about 8 feet as a waiter comes out of the kitchen with the largest dessert known to man. I'm not sure what it was but it was HUGE!!! The waiters/waitresses must be required to lift weights three times a week in order to carry these things.

We finally order. Lisa and I both get a pizza (with mushrooms, olives and sausage). Kailyn orders a cheeseburger and I don't remember exactly what my mom got but it did come with French fries. As we wait for out meals, it proceeds to rain (which is very cool if you've never experienced eating here before, like my mom and me).

Waiters keep going by out table into and from the kitchen. Lisa and I get the opportunity to see all the food coming out. "Oo, that looks good." "I wonder what that was? It looked good." My mom and Kailyn, having their backs to the kitchen, don't get to see freshly prepared food. They get to see mounds of half eaten steaks and chicken strips (haha!)

After several more VOLVANO incidents, our food comes. My pizza is ginormous! Why didn't I split one with Lisa? After all, we got the exact same thing. There is no way we can each eat our entire pizza. Anyway, my pizza is really good. Everyone else is enjoying their food too. Now I am a French fry lover (especially with ranch dressing) so I snuck a few of my mom's French fries (oddly, my pizza didn't come with French fries :confused3 ).

We are all stuffed but agree to get one small rootbeer float to split and then get dessert in Downtown Disney later. So here is our rootbeer float with four straws:

200705170011.jpg

Lisa and I box our half eaten pizzas to take with us to put in the mini-fridge in our room for later use (and they got used). We leave Rainforest Cafe and head to the other side of the walk way to the Lego store. On the way in, this little gem catches my eye:

200705170012.jpg

A Hidden Mickey on one of the lights on the ground! Pretty cool, huh? My mom wasn't convinced it was intentionally put there, but I don't know. Doesn't look like an accident to me.

We walk back through Downtown Disney checking out various stores and then go back to the hotel (without dessert).

To get into the spirit of this adventure...a window display in the World of Disney
200705170013.jpg

It is about 9:00 when we get back and it is Thursday night, so you know what that means? Grey's Anatomy Finale!!! My most favorite show ever, besides Gilmore Girls, of course. We watch that while Kailyn showers. Then, I break myself away to shower. When I come out of the bathroom, something smells...bad. It is atrocious! I don't say anything, not wanting to be rude, but I'm practically gagging. I run in the bathroom to relieve my olfactory system, by pretending to hang up my towel. I take a few big breaths, like I've just run a marathon. Do I dare go back out? I suck in a huge breath and open the door. I comb my hair but I'm running out of breath. Do I go back into the bathroom for no reason? It might be contaminated by now. Ahhh!!! :scared: I must have made a face because Kailyn says "What is that smell?" Ohh, thank goodness! She saved my life!

Lisa: "I don't smell anything."
Carol (giving her a "What do you mean?" look): "That's because you have very little sense of smell."
Kailyn: "Mom, it's your feet."
Lisa: "What do you mean? My feet don't smell."
Kailyn (sniffs feet, makes face): "Yeah, they do. And your shoes."
Carol: "Your shoes too? Ewww!"
Lisa (takes BIG whiff. We all think she will die): "But I don't smell anything!"
Erin: "It's bad! How could you not smell it"
Kailyn: "We need to put these outside. The smell will contaminate the room if we keep them in here." She saved my life again!

So out the shoes went (and windows open) and there they stayed, every night (I hope people walking by didn't die). Man, they smelled. Fortunately they weren't the shoes she was wearing to the parks. Anyway, this was a big joke during the rest of the trip. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of "the shoes." :sad1:

So at about 10:30, I start drying my hair (I hate going to bed with wet hair! And, my hair is naturally wavy/curlyish so if I don't blow dry it and straighten it every day, or night, it explodes if there is even a speck of moisture in the air - you've seen those Garnier Fructis commercials) and then straighten it. Lisa questions me. I tell her it will take me less time to get ready in the morning...ha! Yeah right! This is really a tedious process, but it is necessary if I want to look presentable.

At about 11:00 we go to bed. So much for going to bed early! We chit chat (sarcastically, of course) in the dark and laugh for a bit before we all fall asleep. Kind of like a sleep over!

Tomorrow is Disneyland!!!!!

Coming up in Chapter 4 - purple badges, a hitch in The Plan, the best fries ever, and singing birds :rolleyes2

Chapter 4: The Purple Badge of Courage (or something)

I took a nice long weekend to go camping and what do you know, TWO new installments. :thumbsup2
We had a bad shoe incident once with a friend of mine. We were tucked into a small cruise ship cabin and I thought I would die!:sick: Luckily, my husband has no regard for other people's feelings and told our friend right away that she had to take those shoes down the hall and throw them away.:lmao:

Great update, we hit Rain forest about 4 times a year.
You should have tried the Volcano it would be prefect for a party of 4.

Gota love those Wetzel Pretzel Bites too :thumbsup2

Day 1 continued
When I come out of the bathroom, something smells...bad. It is atrocious! I don't say anything, not wanting to be rude, but I'm practically gagging. I run in the bathroom to relieve my olfactory system, by pretending to hang up my towel. I take a few big breaths, like I've just run a marathon. Do I dare go back out? I suck in a huge breath and open the door. I comb my hair but I'm running out of breath. Do I go back into the bathroom for no reason? It might be contaminated by now. Ahhh!!! :scared: I must have made a face :rotfl: because Kailyn says "What is that smell?" Ohh, thank goodness! She saved my life!

Lisa: "I don't smell anything."
Carol (giving her a "What do you mean?" look): "That's because you have very little sense of smell."
Kailyn: "Mom, it's your feet."
Lisa: "What do you mean? My feet don't smell."
Kailyn (sniffs feet, makes face): "Yeah, they do. And your shoes."
Carol: "Your shoes too? Ewww!"
Lisa (takes BIG whiff. We all think she will die): "But I don't smell anything!"
Erin: "It's bad! How could you not smell it"
Kailyn: "We need to put these outside. The smell will contaminate the room if we keep them in here." She saved my life again!

So out the shoes went (and windows open) and there they stayed, every night (I hope people walking by didn't die). Man, they smelled. Fortunately they weren't the shoes she was wearing to the parks. Anyway, this was a big joke during the rest of the trip. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of "the shoes." :sad1:

:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl:

We had a bad shoe incident once with a friend of mine. We were tucked into a small cruise ship cabin and I thought I would die!:sick: Luckily, my husband has no regard for other people's feelings and told our friend right away that she had to take those shoes down the hall and throw them away.:lmao:

That shoe smell is just horrible! It makes me dizzy after a while :faint: . And on a cruise ship there really isn't any private place, unless you have a room with a balcony, to put them. Well, I guess a hallway in a hotel isn't really a private place either, but this hallway is outside so its not so bad.

Great update, we hit Rain forest about 4 times a year.
You should have tried the Volcano it would be prefect for a party of 4.

Gota love those Wetzel Pretzel Bites too :thumbsup2

Ok, what exactly is a Volcano??? I never really got a good view of one due to recovering from jumping out of my seat.

Ooohh, I LOVE Wetzel's Pretzels!!! Actually I love anything coated in sugar.

I'm glad you liked my shoe incident. It makes me laugh out loud when I think about it. I was hoping I could get that story across right because it could have turned into a you-had-to-be-there moment and that is not what I wanted. It really was funny and we still tease poor Lisa about it. And the shoes will make another appearance later.

Well, I hope to post my next installment later today!

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate brownie, whipped cream, chocolate sauce

They used to actually have a real sparkler on it, but I figure it was too expensive or someone got hurt so now it's a fake one.

Old Style
114512862_af557eb3fa.jpg

New Style
461843017_b16fa1cdc7.jpg

Either way Yummy

Oh. My. Gosh!!!

That looks like heaven!!!!!

I like the old style better but either way. Yummmmmmmyyyyy!!!!! :thumbsup2

Chapter 4: The Purple Badge of Courage (or something)

Day 2
We got up bright and early. My mom and I first, as we each have a hair ritual (even though her hair is quite short). I had to straighten my hair, again, which didn't last to long. I don't even know why I bother. We were all dressed and ready to go by 7:30. We stopped by the continental breakfast and grabbed something to eat (the Candy Cane Inn has quite a selection!) and then headed out towards Disneyland.

The park opens at 9:00 today (there was a Grad Night the night before) and we were there around 8:00 - plenty of time beofre we were let in. We got spots at the front of the gate. While Lisa saved our spots, Kailyn, my mom and I went to take pictures by the California letters. We were careful not to step on the "headstones" (or tiles with people's names on them)

Kailyn and I
200705180014.jpg

Kailyn and Carol
200705180015.jpg

Me!
200705180016.jpg

My mom and me
200705180017.jpg

We headed back to Lisa and there was a line behind us now. We got to talking to the family behind us. They were from Idaho for the premiere too!!! :-)wave2: Hi McDaniels!) They took our picture and complimented us on our shirts (aren't our shirts cute!)

200705180018.jpg

It was finally 8:30 and the countdown began. We were let in and headed for the rope drop. Well, my mom went to the bathroom, Lisa to get the much wanted and talked about cinnamon twists from the Blue Ribbon Bakery, and Kailyn and I ran to the rope drop. For a little bit, we were the ONLY ones on the entire Main Street. Cool!!! Sadly, my mom had the camera with her.

200705180019.jpg

We all gathered at the spot Kailyn and I had saved. We munched on the beloved cinnamon twists, getting powdered sugar everywhere. People began to gather around us and someone asks where we bought our shirts because she wanted to buy one! Aww! How nice. With about 10 minutes to go, a CM comes up and asks us where we are from, how long we are here, etc., etc. He then asks us if we would like to be Honorary Citizens for the day! Well, duh. Of course! We take the pledge, repeating everything he says, including "state your name"...hehe, and he gives us our purple Honorary Citizens badges. We proudly pin them on our shirts, thinking we are way cooler than we actually are. A little pixie dust sprinkled on our heads :wizard: . But, this is about as close as we get to being Dreamed.

Finally, the Disneyland security guard drops the rope and we book it through the little "park" in front of the castle and enter Fantasyland to ride Peter Pan. We are about 4th in line and out wait is as long as it takes to get through the queue. I get in a ship with Kailyn. Lisa with my mom and we are off to Neverland (Woo oo woo oo woo oo ooo!!! Think of the presents your brought. Any merry little thought. Think of Christmas, think of snow, think of sleighbells, off we go. Like reindeer in the sky! You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!). My favorite part of this ride is flying over London. After we return back to Earth, we look to see if Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is open from refurbishment. No. Tomorrow?

At this point, Lisa goes to get Fast Passes for Indiana Jones while the rest of us ride Dumbo and then the Tea Cups. We will meet up at the Matterhorn.

200705180020.jpg

I was in an elephant with Kailyn and my mom was on the way other side so these pictures are taken from across the ride.

200705180021.jpg

200705180022.jpg

We finish Dumbo and then move on to spin endlessly on the Tea Cups. There is only one other cup with people. Ater staggering to the exit we make out way over to the LEFT line of the Matterhorn, the best side, and wait for Lisa. We seem to wait forever but finally see her. She looks flustered. She informs us that out Plan is ruined! Indy isn't offering Fast Passes so she went to get Splash Mountain Fast Passes but their FP machine wasn't open yet. She is totally flustered. Poor Lisa. We try and calm her down by telling her we will go get Space Mountain FP after the Matterhorn and we might just have to wing it. GASP! She settles down a wee bit and we get into out bobsled, each in out own seat.

Lisa and Kailyn in line
200705180023.jpg

Notice that in the very back of each picture there is someone adjusting a backpack. Oh, our huge backpack...
200705180024.jpg

200705180025.jpg

We race the bobsled on the right track, periodically catching a glimpse of them, and we win. Of course. Because left is best.

We exit and head to Space, admiring the Nemo Subs as they are being tested, to grab FP. We see the wait is only 5 minutes so we grab our FP and then ride. What a great ride! Although, they claim that this ride is a roller coaster type ride. What? Isn't it a roller coaster?

When we get off, we go over to Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters to battle it out. We grab FP first, since out return time is up already. I think Lisa or my mom won. This time. We then head over to Frontierland to get ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad but it is closed and they don't know when it will reopen. So, we head over to Adventureland via darting through the River Belle Terrace. I'm sure they loved that. We want to go on Indy but the wait is about 20 - 25 minutes long so we decide to go on a quick trip on the Jungle Cruise (wait time, posted, 5 minutes) hoping that the wait for Indy will die down. After 25 long minutes in line for the Jungle Cruise (probably the longest line we waited in) we are getting anxious and mad. They only have 2 boats running! Come on people!) Finally, we get on and see all kinds of wild animals. I love the piranha effect. Our skipper was okay and we manage to force a chuckle occasionally. At this point Lisa is pretty mad that the Plan is ruined. RUINED! We calm her down by telling her the wait for Indy is less now (only about 15 minutes) so we get in line. We travel through the Temple of the Blind...er, that's my mom, seeing up close at least...Forbidden Eye safely, thanks to Mr. Jones. This ride is awesome! Exciting, exhilerating and full of suprises, even after riding it a gillion times before. I still duck in the spear chamber. I'm a wimp)

Next we go to Big Thunder Mountain find out it is open!!! We ride and get FP for later.

So, off to Pirates of the Caribbean

*Side note: now, navigating through New Orleans Square is very difficult as huge sets of bleachers are set up on the lower walkways. Pictures later. hence walking through the River Belle Terrace.*

Anyway, we wait in the line for about 15 - 20 minutes and then we are off into the Bayou. I just have to say I love this ride. They story, the smell...ahhh. The Bayou scene is my absolute favorite!

So now we go over to the Haunted Mansion and descend into the bowels of the mansion after waiting 10 minutes. I'm in a doom buggie with Kailyn and my mom is with Lisa. Fortunately we return safely only after being followed by a ghost! It is about noon now and we are getting hungry. Riding rides can do that to you. We decide to go to the French Market but go get FP for Splash first.

So after getting those, we go get lunch at the French Market. We sit at a table and some of the New Orleans street performers are, well, performing (on the stage they have set up in the table area). My mom and I split a French Qurter Dip sandwich with the BEST FRIES EVER TO BE EATEN! Kailyn had the children's chicken strips and Lisa...I don't remember. But those fries...heaven on a plate!

While we are sitting, preparing for the rest of our day, Lisa goes to get FP for Big Thunder Mountain. While she is gone, we see the Dream Squad. Ooh ooh ooh! This could be our chance to score dream FP, or better yet, a night in the Mickey Mouse Penthouse! Come over hear, Dream Squad!

Will we get dreamed? :confused3

In chapter 5 - to be dreamed or not to be dreamed? That is the question

Chapter 5: The Kitchen God's Servants

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter