Surrounded by Swashbuckling Pirates: The Sarcastic's Voyage to Disneyland

Wow Erin, Been there done that with the camera battery and why does it always happen when it is something important? :confused3

It never happens when I have to take pictures at the In-Laws Birthday Party.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you for a great trip report. It was well written and very entertaining.

:goodvibes Hope you're enjoying!!!

Wow Erin, Been there done that with the camera battery and why does it always happen when it is something important? :confused3

It never happens when I have to take pictures at the In-Laws Birthday Party.

Keep up the good work.

:rotfl:

Stupid camera batteries! It all worked out in the end though...at least I got my picture of Orlando (hehe).

Thank you for a great trip report. It was well written and very entertaining.

Thanks for joining in! I'm glad you're enjoying it. It is taking a lot more energy to write than I thought, but I'm almost done.

Alrighty, all you lurkers...I have almost 1300 views but only a few people posting. What's to lose with posting? I promise I won't laugh at you...unless you write something funny...if you write anything at all. I hope you all are enjoying my trip report, if there are any of you out there besides the few loyal readers.

Anyway, Enjoy! :thumbsup2

Chapter 8: The Adventures of Alice in Wetland
Sunday, May 20

Today is our last day. We are doing Disneyland and DCA and then driving home tonight :sad1: . Our goals for today are:
1. get a Splash Mountain picture decent enough to look at
2. "do" DCA
3. finish up the shopping that we were planning on doing our first night
4. take our time while getting everything done

So, on with the day...

We wake up about 6:30 and get ready. Fortunately, we had tidied up the room the night before and all we had to do was pack our last minute items. Once we loaded everything in the car, we headed to the continental breakfast. Lisa checked us out and then joined us. I don't think we were ever all sitting at the table at any one time. It seemed that one of us kept getting up to get more juice or another banana or something. At about 7:20ish we were kind of cleaning up and throwing napkins and our paper plates/bowls away. My mom comes back from getting more orange juice and says "where's my cereal?"
Erin: "I threw it away. I thought you were done."
Mistake #1. My mom is totally a breakfast person. She has to have breakfast to function. Kind of like people needed coffee, only in the form of breakfast. She was really annoyed with me, which I can see (Carol: let me refrase that..."which is plainly obvious"), but there were like 3 Cheerios left in the bowl.

Anyway, we walk into the lobby, checking to see if we can leave the car parked at the hotel while we are in the parks. They told us we could and also that the shuttle was leaving for the parks in just a few minutes. Seeing as how we were all exhausted with aching feet from standing the previous day (therefore causing us to be a little bit snippy...) we agreed to take the shuttle.

So we got on the shuttle and it leaves. We are the ONLY people on the shuttle, so naturally, as women do, we sit next to each other. Except for Kailyn, who sat in the very back, all sprawled out, and the mongo backpacks separated us a bit. But, overall, it was a quiet ride over. I actually think it took more time to take the shuttle than to walk.

We make it to the gates at about 7:35 and are suprised at how many people are already in line. I mean, it wasn't like yesterday's lines, but we aren't in the front like we were on Friday. We get in line (we are about 15 back) and wait. As soon as we are let through (I don't remember waiting at the rope drop) we immediately go to Space Mountain. Mistake #2. We grab FP for later and then ride. Immediately upon exiting the building, my mom says she needs to go to the restroom - her tummy hurts and she feels sick. We wait for her, hoping she'll be okay. She comes back and yes! she did indeed get sick but she feels better now. We agree that it was because she didn't finish those 3 Cheerios! Anyway, Lisa directs us to the River Belle Terrace (the one we traipsed through to get from Adventureland to Frontierland on Friday...hehe).

We order and then wait for them to call us, praying my mom can hold it down. Meanwhile (oops!) she leaves the backpack with me while she runs for another round in the bathroom. Poor mommy! When she gets back, all white and pasty, we have our food and are waiting patiently. We each got our own meal and then got a fruit plate to share. The fruit was devoured before it even settled on the table, practically.

We finished and everyone's tummies were okie dokie now so we went and got FP for Big Thunder Mountain and then went to Splash so we could get our picture, again. The wait was less than 5 minutes so we immediately got on. Good picture? Um...it is the best one yet! We are satisfied so we all decide we can head over to DCA for their opening at 10:00. But when we arrive to get out of out log, we see NO ONE is in line. There is absolutely no line! So we ask in we can ride again (to Lisa's dismay) and the CM's say yes so we just stay in our log. When does that ever happen? This picture is pretty good too, seeing as how we are the only ones in the log so nobody else could mess up the picture. We get out and go to buy a picture (what's the name of the place where you buy pictures from Splash Mountain? Carol: "Uh...The Splash Mountain picture buying place!" Of course, silly me!). We decide on the first picture. While the moms are paying for their pictures, Kailyn and I are drying, Kailyn in soaked! Fortunately, my hair was okay though (whew!) and I'm only mildly wet.

Here is our Splash picture
2007-09-17-1605-48_edited.jpg

I guess we rode the Matterhorn sometime that morning too
200705200029.jpg

Before heading over to DCA, KAilyn and I drag the moms through Pooh to dry off (of course!).

Then we head over to DCA (Lisa: "finally!"). We get there a little after 10:15 (we're not that late, Lisa) and decide what to do. We need something to eat! Those 2 breakfasts weren't enough! So we go to the Baker's Field Bakery, which is just to the right upon entering. Lisa gets a cinnamon twist, Kailyn gets a lemon bar, I get a chocolate dipped Mickey rice krispy, and my mom got a coffee. I was very disappointed with my rice krispy - it was hard and flavorless.

Moving on...We are standing in the middle of Sunshine Plaza, listening to Lisa while she gives us strict instructions on what to do next. We are only pretending to listen (at least I was). Something (or someone, actually) catches my eye. Hey, it's Teri Hatcher and her daughter and a CM guiding them around. I wish I could hire a CM to take us around Disneyland. We didn't get a picture or autograph though.

Anyway, Lisa was telling my mom and I what to do while she and Kailyn rode Tower of Terror (my mom didn't want to ride because of her stomach and I didn't really want to ride because last time I rode, my hands were numb for 15 minutes after I got off due to me gripping the handle in sheer terror). So we split, each group with a walkie talkie. My mom and I were to get FP for Grizzly River Run and Soarin' Over California (because apparently they aren't connected electronically so you can do that). We go to Grizzly River Run first but their FP aren't working so we back track and go to Soarin' and get those FP. After, we walk over to the Hollywood Backlot area and parouse through shops. We get a call from Lisa telling us to meet them in front of Monsters, Inc. We meet them there and plan on riding Monsters, Inc. but it is temporarily closed, so we take a picture by the FOUNTAIN:

200705200032.jpg

We then go over to the Paradise Pier area to get FP for Screamin'. I have never been on this roller coaster before as I am the biggest chicken on the planet and the loop terrifies (or terrified) me. Kailyn drags me in line while Lisa and my mom get FP and then waited where they could see the initial takeoff.

So Kailyn and I wait in the relatively short line. All the while my heart is speeding up. We reach the front and get seated near the back. We leave the boarding area and come to a stop. I already know what happens...you wait and then you take off suddenly (after a countdown, which kind of ruins the element of suprise), 0-60 mph in 5 seconds or something like that.

So here Kailyn and I are, waiting to be thrown back in our seats.
She's all smiles while I am freaking out (3rd full row from left...I'm the one with the scrunched up face)
200705200030.jpg

I must say, I don't think I've ever had that much fun on a ride in a while. It was exhilarating, smooth and fast! I think my mom and Lisa were suprised, yet pleased, to see I was smiling when I got off.

Next we headed over to the Orange Stinger. My mom didn't ride in fear of ther stomach rearing its ugly head again. And then, on over to Mulholland Madness to get FP.

We then make our way over to Grizzly River Run and get in line (remember, no FP). Fortunately it was short, probably because it was cloudy and kind of misty out). We get our own raft and are off. Somehow I ended up facing backwards on all the drops so I got soaked. Lisa filmed the whole thing but I still haven't seen it...

We stop in the store by the exit to look around. I'm soaked, hair and all, so I pull my hair up and then we go on to use our Soarin' FP. It would be so cool to actually soar over California.

As we go through the Plaza area we stop in the store on the left of the enterance. While the adults look around, Kailyn and I go to the bathroom to change shirts (we brought extra!). We go back and continue shoping - buying some more pins (those pins really suck you in, don't they) and some other overly priced stuff.

We're getting hungry now (it's about noon) and golly, its been about 20 minutes since we last ate (not really :rolleyes1 )! So we go over to the Bugs Land area and eat at the Farmer's Market. Kailyn and I each have chicken strips and fires (yum yum!) and the mom's have salads.

After we ate, we went over to Monsters, Inc. The theming in the queue is pretty funny once you get inside. After this, we went back over to the Paradise Pier to use our Screamin' FP. This time we were in the very back. What a great ride!

We then used out Mulholland Madness FP. This little coaster freaks me out. I feel like I'm going to fall out or the car is going to fall off the track when it goes around those turns at the top. Still fun though. I guess Disney wouldn't make a ride that would thrown you off.

I really wanted plain black Mickey ears with my name, so we went to the hat place next to Mulholland Madness and waited forever for someone to help us. But I finally got my ears and my mom got a visor. We made our way back to the enterance.

I took these along the way.

200705200031.jpg

Dealing with the backpacks
2007_0520DisneylandandPirates0136.jpg

2007_0520DisneylandandPirates0141.jpg

Oh, look, anouther FOUNTAIN
200705200035.jpg

And, thus, completes our time in DCA

Up next, the final installment of my trip report :sad1: - a treasure hunt for my Pirate shirt and a cute little baby bird.

Chapter 9: A Time to End

Just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying your TR - what a fun experience to be at the Pirates premiere! We're taking our sons (twins age 9 when we go) for the first trip to DL in Dec - we went to WDW last year for the first time. Your trippie really brings DL to life!

Thanks for tkaing the time to write it.

Twinmum

So I see the theme of your trip more like;
Fountains, Eating and Getting drenched are you sure you went for the Pirates festivities?

Sorry your report is coming to an end,

I have mixed feelings about waiting for your last installment. Thanks for all the time and effort you've put into these!:)

Yes I am a genius aren't I! As a matter of fact I have been spending so much time geniusing to read the rest of your report! Loser that I am...NOT.

Seriously what a great report and again that woman (Lisa I believe) wearing the red flannel shirt thing (in your pictures from Sun.) is quite striking and has a fashion sense that I can't quite define. I am surprised Terri Hatcher didn't ask the CM with her in DCA to track you down and find out where this Lisa lady shops!

Glad to hear you liked the roller coaster...too bad they couldn't get you on Tower of Terror...since like Kailyn did it when she WAS 3! Oh bad that was probably bad parenting on her beautiful mother's part (actually it was her father and she was tall enough and well...enough of that)

Can't wait to read the last installment! Hope it includes a trip to Starbucks!

So I see the theme of your trip more like;
Fountains, Eating and Getting drenched are you sure you went for the Pirates festivities?

Sorry your report is coming to an end,

Yes, those do seem to be the themes. Eating is actually rule #3 so of course we ate but I didn't realize we ate that much!!! On any normal day one would probably explode if they ate what we ate.

We did really go for the Pirates events. I swear! Or maybe Pirates were just a bonus.

I have mixed feelings about waiting for your last installment. Thanks for all the time and effort you've put into these!:)

I too am having mixed feelings. It has taken up so much time but it has been fun reliving our trip. Thanks for following!

Yes I am a genius aren't I! As a matter of fact I have been spending so much time geniusing to read the rest of your report! Loser that I am...NOT.

Seriously what a great report and again that woman (Lisa I believe) wearing the red flannel shirt thing (in your pictures from Sun.) is quite striking and has a fashion sense that I can't quite define. I am surprised Terri Hatcher didn't ask the CM with her in DCA to track you down and find out where this Lisa lady shops!

Glad to hear you liked the roller coaster...too bad they couldn't get you on Tower of Terror...since like Kailyn did it when she WAS 3! Oh bad that was probably bad parenting on her beautiful mother's part (actually it was her father and she was tall enough and well...enough of that)

Can't wait to read the last installment! Hope it includes a trip to Starbucks!

Can you define the word "geniusing" for me, please?

It's nice to have you rejoin us Tigerlilly. Speaking of going on the Tower of Terror, maybe I would be willing to try it again at Disney World...:rolleyes1

I hope you will join us again soon and read the last installment. I have already written it out and I'll get to that after this, but I'm sick :sick: and am wanting to get better before I leave on Saturday for school so all I really want to do is nothing but I'll push myself for your guyses sake.

*guyses: possessive for guys :thumbsup2

Chapter 9: A Time to End

To quote the teaser of the last novel in my favorite book series (with a few modifications so it fits)

"We now present the ninth and final installment in the epic tale of The Sarcastics"​

We exit DCA, walk across the esplanade and re-enter Disneyland for the last time. We veer toward Tomorrowland and go to Space to use our FP we obtained earlier. We then ride Buzz Lightyear. I won, again, but my score is nothing to be awed by. We then make our way across the hub towards Adventureland. I spot Prince Philip walking towards the castle. "Hey, there's Prince Philip." "Who?" the rest says. "Uh, Aurora's prince, duh." Good greif. And they (Lisa) call themselves Disney officionados.

We go over to Indiana Jones and the wait time posted is only 15 minutes so we get in line, ride and are only again saved by Indiana Jones. Then we go over to Pirates and ride. I love how that line usually moves pretty fast, unless it breaks down. When we were near the end of the ride, right before the boats are lifted back up to ground level, we stop. Boats from behind us ram into the back of our boat, bump...bump...bump, and we get whiplash. Anyway, we get going again and then stop and then again, and stop. This continues until we finally make our way out of the must darkness.

At this point, we were all getting hungry (of course), tired, grupmy, and a little depressed because our adventure was almost over. Lisa says "I know what will cheer us up!" Okay! Our faces light up and we follow her like obedient dogs around the back of Big Thunder Mountain, through Fantasyland, and then stop in front of the Matterhorn. Lisa looks around, and then says "It's not open. I thought we could get a slushy." Aw man! The perfect last day treat!

So we head back towards Fantasyland, heads drooped, feet dragging. We decide to stop in the Mad Hatter next to the Tea Cups. We look around and then head oustide to take a group picture in the teacup on display. Suddenly, we hear a child crying. We sopt him and my mom approaches him. He says he's lost. Lisa alerts one of the Disney maintenence crew and he comes over. Then (this is wierd) someone says the little boy's name. He looks up and it is his aunt who didn't know that the little boy's family was going to also be at Disneyland today. Then his parents come out of the Nad Hatter and get him, breifly talk to the aunt and then walk away. Obviously, saying a simple thank you would be too much for them. We then vow never to help a lost child again (nice aren't we?) when we see another kid wandering around alone, lost. Great. Before we are with her for even a minute, her father comes us and says thank you for helping her. We say your welcome and then ask him is he can take our picture in the teacup. He did, so here we are...

200705200036.jpg

We decide to leave Fantasyland. AS we walk back toward Big Thunder Mountain, we see the Wicked Queen from Snow White. My mom approaches her with the camera and she stares right into it.

She's so scary. I'd hate to meet her in a dark alley.
200705200037.jpg

So, finally, we are heading toward Frontierland/Adventureland/New Orleans Square, still hungry. I know what we should get! A Trio of Fritters from the Mint Julep Bar! We get there and buy 2 Trios. Heaven in my mouth! These are probably my most favorite things in all of Disneyland. Lisa and Kailyn had never had them before! If you've never had them before either, do! They are not too sweet, warm, sofr, yet a little crunchy on the outside. Delicious! Please note: if you try to recreate them at home, good luck! I tried and they ended up doughy and smelling like fish.

Fritters in hand, we walk toward Splash, not intending to ride, just to watch and rest our weary bones. After watching people plummet down into the nothingness that is the mist of Splash Mountain, we go over to Big Thunder Mountain to use our FP.

It is about 4:30 - 5:00 and we want to leave no later than 6:30. My mom really wants the pirate/skull purse she saw on Friday so we go over to Adventureland and she gets it along with a matching wallet.

Then we go over to Rancho del Zocalo for dinner. It really don't like their foot. It's too spicy. In fact, none of us are pleased. In the middle of the meal, I go back over to Adventureland to get a cute Tinkerbell hoodie (minus the hoot). Purchases in hand, we head toward Main St.

As we ar walking past Coke Corner, we see to CM's telling people to go around. What is going on? Well, they were protecting a baby bird that we learning to fly but had fallen out of the nest and was on the sidewalk. Aww...If I were a bird, I'd want to live at Disneyland.

I still need my pirate shirt so we go in the Emporium. They don't have a black one with the Pirates lofo so after debating a while, I end up getting a reddish brownish one with the logo.

We exit the park and head to DTD to get some specialty Pirate pins we'd heard about earlier. I guess these pins are limited edition, only 500 made, etc. You can only buy 2 per person and we wanted 5 so we get three of us and get five. Thse pins are special as they are Premiere pins and have a picture of Jack and Will on them. Let's just say I LOVE this pin!

We backtrack and go into the World of Disney to get stuff for the rest of our families. It is after 7:15 now (so much for leaving by 6:30). We get a tie for my dad and a shirt for my brother and then leave. I'm getting really anxious about leaving and the time because we still have a 3+ hour drive and I have a test during 1st period tomorrow. Lucky me.

By the time we get back to the Candy Cane Inn it is nearing 8:00. Kailyn and I change into our pajamas in the car and then we are off, stopping by Starbucks first, of course. The car is so loaded with blue Disneyland bags you can barely see out of the back window.

The drive was uneventful. Kailyn and I attempted to sleep but th emoms talked (loudly) the whole way.

It is over. :sad1: All the anticipation, months of build up and it is over. We had so much fun. It was so tiring, especially Premiere day.

But would we stand and wait for 18 hous in the sun on the curb of Main St. to have famous people sign a wrinkled park map and get some lousy pictures at another Pirates Premiere?

In a heartbeat.

Are The Sarcastics planning another trip?

Yes, only we're going bigger - Walt Disney World :woohoo: in December 2008 (hopefully...Lisa).

I thank all of you for reading and following me as I relive our trip. It was so much fun!

Really great report!!! I felt like I was there with you! Makes me wish I could go with you....somewhere else....a world of magic and dreams! Oh WDW!

Again wonderful trip report! Now go off to University and study study study! You will do great in College and then you can work as a Student at WDW and all will be right in the world!

:thumbsup2 Go UCSD!

Thanks for sharing Erin, it was great trip report.

Look forward to one about your trip to WDW

What a great report!

By the way, where was the Starbucks?

Also, your few pictures of it have caused me to think about staying at the CandyCane on our next trip.

WOW.. that was the best report ever.. you have a way with telling a story! I felt like I was there the whole time! I am sad it is over, I enjoyed reading it so much.. thanks for posting it!

I loved your TR. Great Job! :thumbsup2 I'm glad that you got to see the red carpet of the premiere. That sounds like fun.

That was a great pic of Orlando Bloom :love: I normally don't crush on Hollywood celebrities but there is just something about him.... (Off topic: I read a article a couple of weeks ago about him and how he'd fallen off a roof and fell 3 stories when he was 21. The doctors told him that he'd never walk again and he proved them wrong by walking out of the hospital a couple of months (?) later.)

I hope that you get to go to WDW in Dec 2008. I'll be there then for my b-day trip so maybe I'll see you then. I hope that we can all expect another great trip report.

I love those bags you've made! Sounds like it was great!

I too, would rather meet my fate with Remie then meet The Queen in a dark alley, or even a light one for that. By the way, LOVE The Bags!! :love:

great trip report. It's just what I need to get me even more excited about my trip december.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter