Taking Grandpa. What can we do to help him?

penchris

Mouseketeer
My 84 yo Grandfather wants to go to Disneyland/DCA when I visit him in Feb. I am coming from Chicago with my 2yo son. We have two days for the parks. The schedule is tight because of work constraints. I've been to DL, WDW, and the Wonder in past 18 months, so I don't need to "See it all". Trip is because Grandpa wants to go.

The problem is Grandpa has recently had two surgeries and chemo for colon cancer. Even though he is sure he is invincible and refuses to use a wheelchair...I am sure this excursion will be too much for him with the crowds from the opening of the new park and a boisterous toddler. Already I have booked a room at the Disneyland hotel to make it easier. My primary question is relating to a pass that would let Grandpa use the disabled entrances when the lines start to wear him down. I heard there was such a thing, but don't know the details or even who to ask. Getting a note from his doctor would not be a problem, but what does it need to state? Any other tips that would help? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if there is a specific pass that allows you to use the back entrance on rides. I think that if grandpa is in a wheelchair you will be able to enter via the exit on most rides. Maybe if you tell him this he will reconsider using a wheelchair. 84 yrs old and on chemo, he'll be worn out just walking from the tram to the entrance. If he is healthy enough to walk the park I doubt if they will allow him to use the disabled entrance.
Jan

Get the wheelchair even if he refuses. At the least you can put your 2 year old in it, and Grandpa can sit down and rest when he needs/wants to. (The two year old could also sit on Grandpa's lap, thus not needing a stroller?) Having the wheelchair will also allow you to by-pass the long lines and ques where there may be stair climbing, etc. AND it will get you all on the rides without (hardly any) waiting. Convince him that this is the way to go. (Print this off) Trust me Grandpa, this place is huge and you will be glad you have the wheelchair perks. I wish someone would push me around the park in one and I'm half your age.) I would focus on the older or shall I say, more classic attractions in the park (the ones that made Disneyland famous), and perhaps the ones that may bring back memories for Grandpa. Your two year old will not appreciate (or remember) Disneyland that much at his/her age, and will likely get back there many times, so focus on what Grandpa wants to do. Get him involved in planning by deciding what looks good to him. Get a book or print off stuff from the official site. This will be a wonderful trip. I wish I had a grandpa who wanted to go to Disneyland! And you are a wonderful grandchild to do this. Have a spectacular time! PS, you could also e-mail or call Guest Services with questions. I still think the wheelchair is the only way to go! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter