Talk dishwashers to me

DeeBee3

I'm not grumpy; you're too happy.
Looking to replace my dishwasher. I have no idea how old is it as it was in the house when we bought it 12 years ago.

It's been on the way out for a few years, but we were able to get some parts and patch it up.

However, it's not economical to keep investing money into parts - it leaks, the soap dispenser is no longer opening properly, and it's rusting inside. Not to mention the insane volume it produces.

Looking for something reliable, QUIET, and efficient.

Thanks!

Bosch seems to be leading - I've also looked into it.

Miele gets my vote, used Bosch in a few vacation homes and I think Miele cleans better.
if you are not aware euro dishwashers do not have heating elements to dry things, they use the thermal energy stored from the hot water to pull water off the dishes. Works Very well except for some plastics. We never found it in issue.

We bought the machine that was in stock and better than whatever else was in stock. The pickings were slim but we had it done the next day and it works well.

I had a Bosch at our last house. It was quiet. Replaced the one here with a GE Cafe model. I like the flatware tray at the top, and it has these water squirters underneath the baskets on the lower rack, and the same thing for bottles on the upper rack. It's pretty quiet, also.

We replaced our dishwasher a couple years ago. We went and looked at what was in stock at Lowes, then looked up reviews online. The one we got is VERY quiet but doesn't seem to clean as well as our old one (20 years old).

One regret is we got one with a front handle. But we didn't consider the dishwasher is at a corner of our cabinets and the front handle prevents our "junk drawer" from opening. So if we need to get something out of that drawer, we need to open the dishwasher.

We have a Bosch. It’s super quiet and cleans well. If I use the “extra dry” and “sanitize” option it dries well. Has an adjustable top rack (3 positions in case I have something bigger on the bottom) and I silverware rack above that. I think the silverware rack is better than sliced bread.

I think mine is about 2 years old.

We just installed a new one on Friday. Our old one (only 8 years old) died about a week ago (it didn't die die, it was leaking and hubby decided to replace the part wasn't worth the price).

We ended up narrowing it down to 3 - Bosch, LG and Kitchenaid. Went to two Lowes and Home Depot in town. All told us the Bosch would have to be backordered and they had no idea when it would come, we could go on a mailing list. The LG we wanted wasn't in stock but could be here by mid-April. The Kitchenaid was in the building. We were leaving the next day to go out of town so paid for it and they told us they would call for delivery and to remove the old one.

They called and said they would deliver on Friday before 4:30. 5:30 on Friday one guy showed up. Took one look at where our old one was installed and started some speech about he would have to drill a hole through the drawer and take off the baseboard (which we would have to replace ourselves) and didn't have the tool to do it so it would be the next day. Hubby said forget it, just take the old one and go, we don't need a different hole since the current one has one already. No can do, can't take the old one unless we install the new one. Fine, refund the installation and we will do it ourselves. Took 3 hours to install (there was a pesky screw to connect the electric that was in the worst place and that took a hour all by itself and we stopped for supper and to watch an installation video). We did a test run and nothing leaked so hubby hauled the old one off to the dump yesterday. I've run it once since then and it's very quiet and seems to hit all the things I wanted except one. Our old one had a button to turn off all the buttons so you couldn't accidently turn anything on but this one doesn't. It is a tad smaller than our old one but we made it fit pretty well.

We really wanted to tell Lowes to take the new one back and give us a refund but we knew we would have problems finding another one in stock anywhere for at least a month. I'm not opposed to doing dishes by hand but hubby wanted it now.

Love our Bosch dishwasher. I think we've had it about six or eight years. A spring broke in it last week, but we found the part pretty cheap and my husband was able to easily replace it. We had a GE before that that lasted about 10 years or a bit more with no repairs needed, but it was very loud and didn't clean as thoroughly.

Bosch. I love ours. You can barely hear it running, which was an important feature to me. I have the model with the silverware tray on top. It also has a silverware basket you can use. It was a little more expensive, I recall, but not too much more. I figured for something we are going to use everyday, it was worth the splurge.

I think all of the major brands are sold at places like Home Depot or Lowes so you can go there and see all of them next to each other. If you want specific features being able to see them in person works better then looking at pictures on the internet. We chose GE appliances in our new home and think they work great and never had any issues. Make sure to ask how much they charge to install and if they carry off the old one. As I recall from several years ago at a prior home, one of those stores wanted to charge quite a bit to install while the other was free. If you currently have a dishwasher, then all it needs is a water line, drain and power source which will already be there. Some cities are very fussy about what you can put out for trash, so try to buy from a place that hauls the old one away to avoid disposal issues.

Every dishwasher will have a sound rating so you can also compare those. More expensive models are usually quieter since they have better/more sound deadening. I would avoid any obscure brand since you might have trouble finding repair parts at a reasonable price in the future.

Last edited:
We've been very pleased with our quiet Kitchen aid that we bought at Home Depot a few years ago. I did a lot of research and this was the one that came out best for us.

Our kitchen is open to the family room and we can't hear the dishwasher run unless we are right in top of it. And then it's still very quiet.

Replaced our Bosch with a $1500 kitchenaid. Quietest dishwasher ever. You literally do not know it is running. Cleans well too. Not sure if the cheaper kitchenaid‘s are as quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter