Talk Me Out of Boardwalk

DisneyMimiUSMC

Mouseketeer
We recently stayed at Boardwalk and absolutely loved it. We had a refurbished room with a boardwalk view and as the Epcot fireworks went off with a dazzling display, I decided in that moment that we needed to buy there. In order for our snowbird dreams to come true, we need 240 more points to allow us to stay eight weeks on WDW property. My heart says Boardwalk is the answer and my brain screams there's only 18 years left on the contract. My husband is 65 and I'm 54. We already have 590 points to leave to our kiddos. VGF, AKL and AUL are what we already own, so our kids have plenty of years to enjoy our contracts. I'm still torn if we should buy where we love with only 18 years left or buy where there are more years to utilize. What say you? And how much would you offer per point for Boardwalk with only 18 years left?

Only DVC people think in terms of "only 18 years of vacations" 🤣 . A lot can happen in 18 years. Will your husband still want to go to Disney when he is 80? And you when you are 70? Do you need another 30-40 years of DVC points? I would say buy where you will be happy, enjoy your purchase and your retirement, and don't sweat the small stuff.

Only DVC people think in terms of "only 18 years of vacations" 🤣 . A lot can happen in 18 years. Will your husband still want to go to Disney when he is 80? And you when you are 70? Do you need another 30-40 years of DVC points? I would say buy where you will be happy, enjoy your purchase and your retirement, and don't sweat the small stuff.
That resonates, but I guess I want to squeeze out all value that I can lol.

8W is a lot to spend on Disney Property. Are you going to the parks all the time (presumably season pass holders) or would something else in the Orlando area make more sense. It sounds like you already have quite a DVC investment.

If you loved the refurb then I say go for it!

The main counter argument would be that you might be able to rent the points for the same price as buying without having to spend the initial capital outlay in case your preferences or health changes.
Right and that's where my questions about how much to offer per point factors into the equation.

Haha C'mon you know coming on here you will never ever get talked OUT of buying a resort that you already said you love! It never works!🤣 If anything, we will convince you to buy sooner or more points!

Like others have said, 18 years is still a long time and none of us know what's ahead of us. If you love it and for sure will be staying there, I don't see a reason to worry about the expiration and you will have precious priceless memories with your family for 18 more years at that resort. I'm team buy it! ::yes::

Right and that's where my questions about how much to offer per point factors into the equation.
Dues are around $8.67 dues, $5 opportunity that you could have earned parking the money in a 5% money market or bond fund… that gets you close to $13pp. We know the contract will be worth $0 in 2042

So $4 to $7 is the fixed spread vs renting at $17 to $20.

$4x 17 years = $68pp
$7x 17 years = $119pp

$104pp to $116pp seems to be the average price depending on the size of the contract.

Pretty slim margins vs renting….

Could the cost of renting go up in the future…. yes…. but you also don’t have to pay $25,000 + closing costs upfront…

The only reason we don’t stay at board walk is that the beach club pool is so much nicer …..
‘if we aren’t staying at beach club our home resorts are pretty nice….

i have never had a bad stay at boardwalk…
I love the location
the resort seems nice for us ….

we do refer being at the Riviera if we are going to stay at an Epcot resort….. but only because that is one of our home resorts…

if you like it, thats what you want, and the deal is the right deal for you I would go for it

The only reason we don’t stay at board walk is that the beach club pool is so much nicer …..
‘if we aren’t staying at beach club our home resorts are pretty nice….

i have never had a bad stay at boardwalk…
I love the location
the resort seems nice for us ….

we do refer being at the Riviera if we are going to stay at an Epcot resort….. but only because that is one of our home resorts…

if you like it, thats what you want, and the deal is the right deal for you I would go for it
Why do you feel the Beach Club is so much nicer.than the Boardwalk?

Sorry can’t help you on this one. On your own. 😂
Great spot though to add to your current resort list. We need to stop thinking about the kiddos and have our own fun. Let them get their own. I’m 57 riding the Beach Club 2042 wave..Kowabunga! Seems about $100-$110 range these days.

@DisneyMimiUSMC, this ^ PLUS the fact that you will not be able to get Boardwalk view if you do not own there. Life is short. Assuming you can afford the points, buy where it makes you HAPPY to be. All of the "$ value" arguments will absolutely be forgotten if you aren't staying where your heart wants to be.

Good luck with your decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter