Talk Me Out of Boardwalk

I have owned BWV since shortly after it opened. It is still our favorite, and boardwalk view rooms provide one of the best views from a room on site. That there is only 18 years left is a factor to consider although the older you are the less that becomes an issue.

However, there is an issue, other than remaining resort life, that you need be aware of before deciding. BWV has a serious 11-month out issue. Standard view studies (and 2BRs which are all lock-offs and thus disappear with studio reservations) fill, essentially year round, within moments after 8 a.m. eastern at 11-months out from any given arrival date. Boardwalk view studios (and 2BRs) have the same issue throughout the high demand “fall” season that runs from Sep to marathon weekend in Jan. Even standard and boardwalk view 1BRS can have the issue during very high demand times, such as the first two weeks of Dec, Christmas week,Thanksgiving time, and race weekends In Nov and Jan..

However, there is an issue, other than remaining resort life, that you need be aware of before deciding. BWV has a serious 11-month out issue. Standard view studies (and 2BRs which are all lock-offs and thus disappear with studio reservations) fill, essentially year round, within moments after 8 a.m. eastern at 11-months out from any given arrival date. Boardwalk view studios (and 2BRs) have the same issue throughout the high demand “fall” season that runs from Sep to marathon weekend in Jan. Even standard and boardwalk view 1BRS can have the issue during very high demand times, such as the first two weeks of Dec, Christmas week,Thanksgiving time, and race weekends In Nov and Jan..
Definitely true! And those who do NOT own BWV have virtually zero chance of getting Boardwalk or standard view rooms. For some high demand nights, even the Pool/Garden view studios and 2 bedrooms can be a challenge if not booked as soon as the 11 month window opens. To me, that's another reason to buy there if it's where your heart wants to be.

I decided in that moment that we needed to buy there. In order for our snowbird dreams to come true, we need 240 more points to allow us to stay eight weeks on WDW property.
I'm probably enabling even though I talked us out of buying boardwalk several years ago ...

This statement was what got me - if you want BWV in the fall/winter, and for a long period of time, it sounds like this would be necessary. If you're ok moving to a few resorts, I might not be so intent on BWV. And you have plenty of other points that expire later, so it makes perfect sense to me, for where you are in your life.

If you really want someone to talk you out of this:

1. 18 years left. You know that.
2. Renting/paying cash isn't that much more, as others have said. And you wouldn't need to pay the money all at once. And you'd get daily housekeeping.
3. I vaguely recall something on the boards here how you can't stay more than 30 days in the same room? Could be urban myth. Too lazy to google. In any event it just means you'd have to move to a different room, I'm pretty sure.
4. For staying that long, do you want a 1BR to have a kitchen? P/G views are still available at 10 months out in December. They are also wide open this whole summer. If you have to stay at BWV every December then yeah, probably. But if you're ok not always, or not spending 8 weeks? or 4 weeks? at BWV every year, then maybe more cheaper points or paying cash might be better.

I say buy at Boardwalk. That Boardwalk view is hard to beat and so is the point chart. We own at BWV and love it so much! I have to say I love your 8 week plan because my husband and I have a similar one. We aren't retired, but I have a weird allergy to the cold and live in Virginia so January and February are rough for me. I am in real estate and my husband owns a landscaping business so we are lucky enough that when our youngest kid graduates in 6 years we will be able to go south for those two months. Our plan is to buy another contract or two to be able to make this work. AKV is my next one!

We only have one negative for BW, but for us, it's a big one.

Our issue at BW is that we drive every trip and we tend to use the car a lot. BW, out of all the properties (RIV, WL, and Jambo are bad too) has the worst situation for parking of any of the DVC resorts.

However, if you don't drive or don't use the car much, it won't affect you at all!

Availability is exactly the reason we just passed rofr on a small BW contract. We have been able to stay at the Boardwalk often over the years, but it feels like it's getting harder to book these days.

DH and I are in our early 50's with adult children. We already have 550 pts between SSR and Poly, but I really always regretted not having Boardwalk points. I figure we will get 18 years of trips out of these new points and I'll still have plenty of points my family will be able to continue to use as we get older. I'll be 94 when the Poly points expire.

We only have one negative for BW, but for us, it's a big one.

Our issue at BW is that we drive every trip and we tend to use the car a lot. BW, out of all the properties (RIV, WL, and Jambo are bad too) has the worst situation for parking of any of the DVC resorts.

However, if you don't drive or don't use the car much, it won't affect you at all!
Probably because DVC used to include free valet.... It didn't matter.

If you really want 8W, finding a renter (or renters) to put that together sounds like a nightmare to me and no guarantee. I would want to control my own nest for snowbirding. I get the “value” aspect of this (and from someone Who has a massive DVC spreadsheet) but I have to be honest, too many people never make it to the years they plan for. Or don’t get to enjoy things. We often think of “value” when it comes to DVC, but it’s really vacation and how you want to enjoy it, especially if you want those Boardwalk views.

Started my trip at BCV this trip and it was very nice. Own here and at BWV's.

I stayed in a BW view room in December and I liked the new look overall. But above all that, I really would have preferred to stay at BW.

Family are here staying also in this area and we strolled around the lake and had a drink in Belle View Lounge, where brother said his dry martini was excellent, plus enjoyed the service and banter of the young lady serving us. Overall a nice experience.

Later we sat outside in the area overlooking the Village Green, enjoying the water view, boat horns and people scurrying around below.

Eventually they took the Skyliner to Topolino's where we had an excellent dinner, with a great CM server who said he had worked at V & A's before moving to TT at Riviera. I drove so that we could return to our resorts by car later. The only thing was we had an early reservation, good, but no pre dinner cocktails upstairs until 5. No problem for me. But a slight disappointment for them. (We had fixed it by visiting BV lounge.)

Back across to our area in time to view Luminous from our balcony. The parks were not a focus for these few days (I had done some time earlier last week) but our whole experience was enjoyable.

Brother remarked that his favorite moment was sitting out upstairs from the Village Green just chatting and watching the people, water and boats.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is trying to get an 11 month reservation in place and I own there. My preferred times are Nov through Easter, which seems to be when every owner wants to come. Except for this past December I've managed a week or so eventually. I had to do BW view which was fine. Next December is looking like garden view. (That's what I have booked so far.) I will be happy either way although I'd prefer the standard location.

Okay, off to breakfast! Enjoy your day!

We've owned BWV since it opened. As others have pointed out, the competition to book rooms at the 11mo mark has increased more and more over time. Basically, we don't even try for standard or boardwalk views anymore, no matter when we're traveling.

It's a great resort though. Hope to have you as a neighbor! 👋

We've owned BWV since it opened. As others have pointed out, the competition to book rooms at the 11mo mark has increased more and more over time. Basically, we don't even try for standard or boardwalk views anymore, no matter when we're traveling.

It's a great resort though. Hope to have you as a neighbor! 👋
Don't disregard these warnings about 11 month availability.

It's real and I think becoming more and more of a problem for DVC. Idk if it's commercial renters or what, but it's an issue.

3. I vaguely recall something on the boards here how you can't stay more than 30 days in the same room? Could be urban myth. Too lazy to google. In any event it just means you'd have to move to a different room, I'm pretty sure.
That 30-day rule is a myth apparently created by some who thought that, under Florida law, if you reside in Florida for more than 30-days, you can claim Florida residency. Besides that there is actually no such 30-day rule in Florida, no member could possibly claim residency based on staying at a DVC resort because the POS expressly prohibits one from using any time staying at such resort to claim state residency.

The actual residency rules in Florida depend on the issue. For example, to claim enough Florida residency to avoid state income taxes requires actual residency of 183 days. There is no actual residency period for claiming the right to vote, but you must register to vote at least 30-days before an election and, when registering, have evidence to show you are resident, such as having a Florida driver's license to show a Florida address.

There is a "tenancy" rule. that is not actually a residency rule. if one stays in a room for at least 14-days in a one-month period, or at least 7 consecutive days, the guest can possibly claim "tenancy" of the room, but he needs more than just having been in the room, such as a driver's license showing the room as the tenant's address or that the person has no other residency address. And all that does is change the rules for removal. If not a tenant, the hotel can just remove a guest if he refuses to leave when his reservation time expires, with the aid of police if needed. If a tenant, the hotel needs to first file an eviction claim and get a court order to evict if the tenant refuses to leave.

The only real issue concerning making a DVC reservation for more than 30-days is that you cannot do such a single reservation online because the system is set to allow no more than 30-days, but you can contact MS and make a longer reservation, and, obviously, you cannot book 30-days or more at one time until you are well within the 11/7-month reservation period.

Last edited:
Y'all are a bunch of enablers. 😂 18years is a lot of time, but I struggle with the idea of running out of points when I hit 72. Maybe I'll be sick of Disney by then? Not likely!
You won't run out of DVC points, just Boardwalk points, at which point you'll be in the very good company of those of us who have enjoyed many years of stays on Crescent Lake.

You'll hear arguments about initial investment, time value of money, the cost of dues over the contract...but if you love Boardwalk, and want to stay there, the best way to do that is to own. Renting points? If I'm lucky enough to get a boardwalk view room, I'm not giving it up for anything. You'll be lucky to get that if you're renting. It isn't an investment property, the investment is in being happy when you're staying where you want to stay.

The decision for me is about where you want to be. I had no idea of UY, dues or points charts when I bought boardwalk, and I don't consider myself to be stupid at math, but the time value of money posts make my eyes glaze over. I got off the friendship boat one day on my way from the studios to epcot, and fell in love with boardwalk, went home and bought my first resale. Done!

You won't run out of DVC points, just Boardwalk points, at which point you'll be in the very good company of those of us who have enjoyed many years of stays on Crescent Lake.

You'll hear arguments about initial investment, time value of money, the cost of dues over the contract...but if you love Boardwalk, and want to stay there, the best way to do that is to own. Renting points? If I'm lucky enough to get a boardwalk view room, I'm not giving it up for anything. You'll be lucky to get that if you're renting. It isn't an investment property, the investment is in being happy when you're staying where you want to stay.

The decision for me is about where you want to be. I had no idea of UY, dues or points charts when I bought boardwalk, and I don't consider myself to be stupid at math, but the time value of money posts make my eyes glaze over. I got off the friendship boat one day on my way from the studios to epcot, and fell in love with boardwalk, went home and bought my first resale. Done!
The time value/opportunity cost argument against DVC tbh has never made that much sense to me. It should only matter to you if you actually use said opportunity and were planning to invest the money to begin with and not spend that money on a Disney trip. Would I be much better off financially if I didn't go to Disney 3+ times a year? Obviously. Knowing this information is it going to stop me from going? LOL. That's a good one. With Boardwalk yeah it isn't the best value for the money but I'd argue between the point charts and overall quality of vacations if you truly love that area it's still a good purchase.

The time value/opportunity cost argument against DVC tbh has never made that much sense to me. It should only matter to you if you actually use said opportunity and were planning to invest the money to begin with and not spend that money on a Disney trip. Would I be much better off financially if I didn't go to Disney 3+ times a year? Obviously. Knowing this information is it going to stop me from going? LOL. That's a good one. With Boardwalk yeah it isn't the best value for the money but I'd argue between the point charts and overall quality of vacations if you truly love that area it's still a good purchase.
Yes, I have also had concerns - I have also thought of it this way:

1. I spend $10k on a cruise, at the end of the cruise, that money is gone.
2. I spend $10k plus some dues on DVC points. At the end of the trip, I still have an asset that can be sold. After some years doing that, my initial outlay paid for the trips and I can sell having basically had free vacations.

Yes, I have also had concerns - I have also thought of it this way:

1. I spend $10k on a cruise, at the end of the cruise, that money is gone.
2. I spend $10k plus some dues on DVC points. At the end of the trip, I still have an asset that can be sold. After some years doing that, my initial outlay paid for the trips and I can sell having basically had free vacations.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is trying to get an 11 month reservation in place and I own there.
This happened to us with VGF as well. Pre-Covid it was challenging for anything that included a studio, and also 2br. Since we were in 1br it didn't' matter. When VGF reopened after Christmas we booked there for 2021 and it was bananas - I did manage to get what we wanted (a 1br standard) but for days around the 11 mo window everyone was mucking around and I was booking each night whatever I could get at 11 mo. it was a pain, and I was lucky we had enough points that I could click on whatever room was the only one available for that night. I had consecutive nights in a studio, 1brm 2br, and even a GV...

(we took 2022, 2023 Christmas off, DH had to work)

I think the "sold out" new-VGF also put a lot of pressure on villas in the OG building. With 2021 there were owners with at least one year of banked points, all trying to book in December/January. Were there some walkers for January? Who knows. It was crazy, though, because even the larger units over the holidays were booked right away and did not open up. I think everyone wanted a little joy after going through the pandemic. My observation with 2024 was there's a lot of new points in the system and the same # of larger units. If anyone added on to get larger units (we did) we were all competing for the few 1br and 2br in the system.

That 30-day rule is a myth apparently created by some who thought that, under Florida law, if you reside in Florida for more than 30-days, you can claim Florida residency. Besides that there is actually no such 30-day rule in Florida, no member could possibly claim residency based on staying at a DVC resort because the POS expressly prohibits one from using any time staying at such resort to claim state residency.
Thanks for clearing that up!

This happened to us with VGF as well. Pre-Covid it was challenging for anything that included a studio, and also 2br. Since we were in 1br it didn't' matter. When VGF reopened after Christmas we booked there for 2021 and it was bananas - I did manage to get what we wanted (a 1br standard) but for days around the 11 mo window everyone was mucking around and I was booking each night whatever I could get at 11 mo. it was a pain, and I was lucky we had enough points that I could click on whatever room was the only one available for that night. I had consecutive nights in a studio, 1brm 2br, and even a GV...

(we took 2022, 2023 Christmas off, DH had to work)

I think the "sold out" new-VGF also put a lot of pressure on villas in the OG building. With 2021 there were owners with at least one year of banked points, all trying to book in December/January. Were there some walkers for January? Who knows. It was crazy, though, because even the larger units over the holidays were booked right away and did not open up. I think everyone wanted a little joy after going through the pandemic. My observation with 2024 was there's a lot of new points in the system and the same # of larger units. If anyone added on to get larger units (we did) we were all competing for the few 1br and 2br in the system.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Do any of the studios in the new tower connect?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter