Tell me about Discovery Cove--have you gone???

I don't know much about Discovery Cove. Can you just do the Swim with the Dolphins and nothing else?

Thanks for any help,

Peggy

We'd like to do something different this year when we go to Florida. We are spending most of the week at the beach, but have a free day or two in Orlando until we can get into the place at the beach. I thought about going to Sea World (We've been to WDW the past 4 years) DC looks great and thinking about doing a day at DC, as well. I have a 9 year old DD, who is a decent swimmer and DS5. He does not swim, but he is not afraid in the water and will put his head under and he tries to swim. He loves fish and dolphins and will spend lots of time when we go to the aquarium just watching them all. However, I'm concerned he's just too young, not tall enough for the water and not a swimmer for this type of experience?

Should we wait a few years until he is older? Would he be too young? Anyone taken kids that young? What was your experience?

Thanks!!

Going in June for our second Anniversary...I couldn't be more excited.

Can anyone recommend an underwater camera for me to buy before I go? I had bought one once before but it took bad pics (did not use it at DC):confused3 TIA!

Sonnet- I think we are using Tiffany Town car- it is around $80 rt from AKL. Also there is a public bus from the TTC (the 50 I believe someone mentioned a few post back?)

http://www.rei.com/product/736148?siteId=cjIsd2x-it3792&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F736148&PID=2946146&cm_mmc=CJ-_-Aff-_-2946146-_-10456937&AID=10456937

If the link doesn't work: google GoPro Hero reloadable camera:thumbsup2

My husband got this at Blizzard Beach and it is a pretty decent cheap one.

My profile picture is taken with it underwater at the WL:cloud9:

Anyway, you can reload it with film. You have to make sure you don't get sand or dirt in the seal part or you have to clean it very well to make sure it stay waterproof.

Good luck.

The photo package prices and individual prices are:

Adventure Package-:$139/ $148.04 (with tax)
(5) 6” x 8” Prints
(2) Key chains w/ choice of print
(1) Digital Photo CD

Basic Package- $59/ $62.86 (with tax)
(3) 6” x 8” Prints
(2) Key chains w/ choice of print

I am going to DC in about 2 weeks, first time there. :banana: Does anyone know approximately how many pictures they take? In other words.. <br> Is it worth the $150 for the Photo CD? I am assuming there are more than 4-5 pictures that they will be taking...

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere.

I think it depends on how much photos you've taken during the day. If you go and ask all the photographers around the park you may get a full cd...

It may be here -- if so, I apologize -- but, I'm thinking of taking my family to DC during our Christmas trip -- is it going to be too cold to enjoy it?

TIA

It may be here -- if so, I apologize -- but, I'm thinking of taking my family to DC during our Christmas trip -- is it going to be too cold to enjoy it?

TIA

I have been to Orlando in Dec and it is hit or miss but I have never been there when it is really cold. (aAlthough this Jan temps hit 55 during the day) but I know they will give you full wetsuits so you stay warm. If I were you I would research past dec avg temps.

We went to DC on April 27th and personally I think it was the best day of our (10 day) trip to Florida... unfortunately I can't post any pictures here.

DS1 was 6 and he did the dolphin swim and was at ease with Yoko (the dolphin) from the first moment in the water. Our youngest did not do the dolphin swim (he is 5, so too young) but he was allowed near the dolphin for a family photo. Everything was so great that day that we would LOVE to take the grandparents to DC this year (if a good discount comes up :wizard:)

My DD just returned from her second summer camp at SeaWorld. This year they spend an entire day at DC. We have the most awesome picture of her kissing a dolphin. It is wonderful. She absolutely loved her day there and can't wait to go back.

We went to Discovery Cove on June 22 for our 2nd anniversary...it was so amazing. The thing was great obviously the dolphin encounter was amazing but the whole park was just awesome...I have a few pics..i will see if i can post. We had the cutest and sweetest little dolphin (but she was still so strong) her name was Keyle.

Here are a few (the underwater and bird aviary i still have to scan in becaus I used my underwater camera so not to ruin my digitals)..

summer09271.jpg

summer09263.jpg

summer09264.jpg

summer09265.jpg

summer09266.jpg

summer09269.jpg

summer09270.jpg

summer09272.jpg

I have a friend who just took his family (6 people total) and he was very disappointed in the food offerings (I know, not the focus, but when you pay $299/person you'd want decent food since it is included). He commented that it was a continental breakfast and hot dogs for lunch. Can anyone confirm? I would be disappointed too seeing as I could get a hot dog anywhere. I thought it was more of a nice buffet for lunch. Considering taking DD next summer, but having hard time swallowing price!

The continental breakfast part is correct, but I cannot even recall seeing any hot dogs on the menu and we have been 6 times since our first visit in 2001. They do have a burger and chicken tenders, but also stuff like roasted chicken, grilled salmon, salads, stirfries,etc. I am not sure if they still do the Jambalaya, which was absolutely delicious. Gourmet food it is not, but the food has always been tasty and plentiful.

Corinna

The breakfast part is correct..pastries, cereals, coffee, juice. It was basic but enough for us. I thought the lunch was great. I had grilled Salmon and DH had Chicken Jambalya. We had salad and dessert and you could even go back a second time lol! There was grilled chicken, cobb salad, salmon and yes burgers and chicken fingers. There were a few other things as well. Also all the snacks you care to have at the snack bars. It was not four star food but we did not expect that. Overall the food was great there was even a band playing. Really you are so interested in spending time in the river and snorkeling food is really one of the last things on the mind (even for DH who is ALL about his food:rotfl:).

I don't know much about Discovery Cove. Can you just do the Swim with the Dolphins and nothing else?

DC's laughable version of a dolphin "swim" is an extra cost over basic admission, so the short answer is 'no.'

Myself, my wife, and two friends were there in 2002. Honestly, the aviary was far more worthwhile for all of us than the overpriced dolphin "experience." In fact, I consider DC's aviary to be a near-perfect model of The Right Way to do one.

I've posted my own review of DC on TripAdvisor.com. You should be able to find it pretty easily. Just look for one titled "Go for the aviary and river swim, don't bother with the dolphin 'experience.'"

If quality time with dolphins is something you value, and you cannot make it to Mexico or other Caribbean locations, I would recommend you go further south, to the Keys, and check out the Dolphin Research Center and/or Theater of the Sea (Grassy Key & Islamorada, respectively). I think you'll get a much better experience at a significantly lower price.

Now, if you're into birds, DC is a fantastic and worthwhile stop. ;-)

Happy travels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter