• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about Discovery Cove--have you gone???

There are apparently mixed reviews about DC on these, and other forums, but even though the price is a little hefty, it is worth it, here is my story for anyone who is interested. My wife loves dolphins, and on every vacation we have ever gone on that there was some type of dolphin encounter, we just never got around to doing it. So, when I was thinking about a creative way to propose to her, something made me call DC and see if there was some type of package for that tyoe of thing. Well, luckily enough for me there was. Here is how it goes.....

We showed up in the morning and checked in. At check in, the woman took the ring on the sly, and gave us the time of our dolphion swim which was 10:00am. So basically, I had to be cool calm and collective for the next two hours to not let on what was happening.

So, at 10:00 we go for the dolphin swim, my wife, then fiance, was like a little kid she was so excited. Little did she know what was about to happen. We were actually lucky that day, because we got to swim with the dolphin and the dolphins baby! Once the main portion of the swim was over, the Dolphin trainer called out for a volunteer to do a special trick with the dolphin (his name was Lester). So they pick my wife (obviously) and made her do some type of hand signal. The hand signal caused Lester to go screaming off at full speed around the back of a jetty out of sight. after a few seconds, the trainer makes my wife splash the water twice, and Lester come screaming around the jetty towards her with something in his mouth. When the dolphin stopped in front of my wife, gave her a white buoy on it that had the date on it and siad "will you marry me?" I was warned earlier that the trainers had never seen anyone understand what was happening instantly, but it would click after a second or two. Well, this case was no different. She looked at the buoy, and she started laughing thinking that it was cute that the dolphin wanted to marry her, and then it just clicked!

Due to safety reasons, no jewelry is allowed in the the dolphin lagoon, so we instantly turn around and walk up to the shore where there is someone holding a treasure chest with the ring in it. by this time, everyone in the area is crowded around while I take the ring, get on my knees, and ask her officially. She said yes softly because she was so shocked, and then someone in the crowed yelled "what did she say?" The trainer yelled out "SHE SAID YES!" and everyone strated applauding and yelling, it was hilarious!

After that calmed down, they walked us over to a private cabana with out name on it that looked over the dolphin lagoon, when we walked in, there were rose petals spread everywhere, and on the table there was champagne, chocolates, and a crystal frame. There were lounge chairs that had personalized towels on them, and we got waitor service for the rest of the day. It was pretty amazing!

So I am biased, but DC will always have a special place in our hearts!

wow, that sounds awesome! do you have some photos to post?

can't wait to be there in november!

OOoooh me too!! I LOVE DC!! DF proposed there last September, and it was just amazing! They made a similar excuse with me, saying our photo hadn't taken properly so we had to take another one, and then got me to send our Dolphin Cindy away, then she came rushing back with a buoy. Here's a couple of photos (I have loads more, but won't bore you too much!!) of the event:

M091608_00_2113.jpg

M091608_00_2115.jpg

M091608_00_2124.jpg

M091608_00_2130.jpg

M091608_00_2133.jpg

M091608_00_2139.jpg

M091608_00_2145.jpg

M091608_00_2152.jpg

I too have DC in a special part of my heart - can't wait to go back!!

I love the stories and pictures about your engagements. Awesome! I am very excited to go to DC (in April)!

Julie:flower3:

I swam with Luna and her Mum!

Marea is a a sweetie. I spent some quality time with her in 2006 when I was the only Trainer for a Day. She was only about 3 years then and still learning to do full interactions. I could not believe when I heard that she had a calf already. I have not had the chance to meet Luna yet.

Corinna

Marea watched us during the interaction and I think it was her who did the dorsal tow!

can you book the trainer day online? i want to do that next time i'm going to DC, but haven't found it on their website!

Marea watched us during the interaction and I think it was her who did the dorsal tow!

can you book the trainer day online? i want to do that next time i'm going to DC, but haven't found it on their website!

I have always phoned them to book it. I have done Trainer for a Day at Discovery Cove four times so far.

Corinna

I have always phoned them to book it. I have done Trainer for a Day at Discovery Cove four times so far.

Corinna

I'd prefer to do it online or via email.... but if there's no other choice... I'll have to call them... :P How does the payment work then??

They take credit card detail over the phone. Depending how far out you book, you might only get charged a deposit. They then ask you if you want them to deduct the balance from the same card when payment in full is due or if you want to call back to make payment with a different card on that date.

Corinna

They take credit card detail over the phone. Depending how far out you book, you might only get charged a deposit. They then ask you if you want them to deduct the balance from the same card when payment in full is due or if you want to call back to make payment with a different card on that date.

Corinna

thanks for your help! this time i payed in full to get the early booking discount. ;)

We just got back from 3 great weeks in Florida and hands down this was the BEST day of our vacation, everyone loved it and i would go back just to do this again............my kids got to live a dream with the dolphins and we loved the all inclusive resort feel.

The memories are worth every dollar!!!!

We just got back from 3 great weeks in Florida and hands down this was the BEST day of our vacation, everyone loved it and i would go back just to do this again............my kids got to live a dream with the dolphins and we loved the all inclusive resort feel.

The memories are worth every dollar!!!!

We also went on Nov 16th and you sum up our sentiments exactly. We also did a disney cruise and WDW(with almost no crowds) but our DC day was the highlight of our trip. Saving to go again :)

from this past May- 5th Year wedding Anniversary @ DC

Entrance:
DSC01953.jpg

DSC01955.jpg

Me in a wetsuit..lol:
IMG_2308.jpg

The Aviary:
IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

The Dolphin swim with Kaylee the dolphin, she was such a doll I had tons of fun!!!!:
M051409_00_1501b.jpg

M051409_00_1503b.jpg

M051409_00_1553b.jpg

M051409_00_1597b.jpg

M051409_00_1601b.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter