Thank you Julie!

DVC Kathy

DIS Veteran
Not to offend anyone else, but I almost pumped my arm in the air and yelled yes! when you said you didn't like Thomas Kinkade. (I was on a bus, or I would have.)

I call him "Thomas Kinkade, painter of dreck." Actually I use another word, but this is a family board.

I'm sure it's marketable, but combining Thomas Kinkade and Disney is just wrong.

Loved the conversation about Piglet......

Kathy

As my signature indicates, I am a fan (and owner) of the Disneyland Kinkade...but don't really care for the WDW edition that will be unveiled in a few days. It's not the fact that it was a Kinkade that made be buy it -- I just liked the subject matter!

Calypso,

I think I would have liked the Kinkade you own, if I hadn't seen so many of his other works before that. He captures the light very well, but - to me - he just seems to paint the same trees, and lights, and colors, over and over again. It makes me a little crazy. I've seen other artists who repeat their success rather than trying something new, and they bother me as well.

Maybe I'm just jealous.

I'll never knock Disneyland, even if I've only been there once.

Enjoy.

Kathy

I think the difference between the two pieces he did for Disney is that the Disneyland one was all about Disneyland...the new WDW one seems to be all about Kinkade. From what we can see on the preview it looks like he could have taken any one of his previous works and just removed the thatched cottage and plopped a castle in it's place. I don't know, maybe it's what the true Kinkade fans wanted -- but for me it was a bit disappointing.

I don't care for him either, and I laughed along with Julie and Corey Horii and their descriptions of him.

However, Disney fans should know this about the artist...several years ago he was arrested (or at least questioned or issued a citation..) while at Disnelyland for urinating on a statue of Pooh! His explanation was very bizarre...he said that he was engaging in "marking behavior" .... as in marking his territory! I don't know if he is crazy or just gross for urinating in public (not to mention on a beloved Disney character). Anyway, if his art had not already turned me off, this certainly would have! If I can find the news article, I will post a link here.

EDITED TO ADD....

Here is a snip from the LA Time article...

In sworn testimony and interviews with The Times, ...They and others also described incidents in which an allegedly drunken Kinkade heckled illusionists Siegfried and Roy; cursed a former employee’s wife who came to his side when he fell off a barstool; fondled a startled woman’s breasts at a signing party; and urinated on a Winnie the Pooh figure at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim.

In his letter, Kinkade said the alcohol-related accounts included “exaggerated, and in some cases outright fabricated personal accusations.”

"And then there is Kinkade's proclivity for 'ritual territory marking,' as he called it, which allegedly manifested itself in the late 1990s outside the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim.

'This one's for you, Walt,' the artist quipped late one night as he urinated on a Winnie the Pooh figure, said Terry Sheppard, a former vice president for Kinkade's company, in an interview."

Ooh! :eek: :scared:

That's disgusting. I would like to think it's some sort of urban legend, but it doesn't look that way.

Kathy

Not to offend anyone else, but I almost pumped my arm in the air and yelled yes! when you said you didn't like Thomas Kinkade. (I was on a bus, or I would have.)

I call him "Thomas Kinkade, painter of dreck." Actually I use another word, but this is a family board.

I'm sure it's marketable, but combining Thomas Kinkade and Disney is just wrong.

Loved the conversation about Piglet......

Kathy

I am glad to know that I am not the only person in this world who dislikes Thomas Kinkade! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter