The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

You poor woman with all those hours!! I'm glad you've been able to keep yourself busy when work seemed scarce, and more than happy to hear that you are starting to see some normalcy in the distance!

I googled...

You are the only one who did your homework!! You get the Blue Fairy Award of Excellence! Yep, Collodi, a village which shares the name of the author of Pinocchio is where I'm headed after the I disembark the ship and head out on my whirlwind tour of the Italian countryside. Looking forward to visiting the park and gardens and museum there. :)

Life will slowly start to become normal again and I'm hopeful happier times are ahead!!

Glad to hear you are getting back to work. It is a bit surreal to hear about what is going on in areas that aren't that hard hit, since the Chicago area has been hit pretty hard. My immediate area (by zip code/town name) is actually doing pretty well as far as both overall and new cases go, but my office is in a zip code with one of the worst concentrations in the state, and growing numbers.

It's going to be so good to finally get back to my regular job that I really enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I like the psych unit well enough, but it's not where I'm most comfortable. And I like my team for the most part.

It certainly is tough to hear about the hardest hit areas which seem to be the most densely populated. I wish there could be a balance struck for opening up areas that have met the criteria asked for (originally- they seem to keep changing the target on us) so not everyone is kept on lockdown. But I am hopeful that progress will be made and life will find a way again to overcome another blip in our history.

So glad you get to go back to work! Being in NY......well, no word yet on most going back to work. I'm not in the city but we're near enough and we don't know yet if our state will reopen as a whole ( I HOPE NOT) or in sections, but since Cuomo has been extending the stay at home every 2 weeks I expect word on whether it'll go past the current 5/15 this Friday. My fingers are crossed!
You're certainly in a very different situation than us out here, especially in Oregon. At this point, I'm very convinced we've crossed the line in the place we're causing more physical harm and causing more deaths by keeping up from opening up. It's a very encouraging step forward to see our medical offices and hospitals starting to open back up!

We got to ride Hagrid's in December, and it is truly incredible! And it was honestly, the best ride I'd ever been on…but then I rode ROTR later in the same trip and that is equally incredible with a better story and more more incredible components. But still, I'd love to take my kids back to UO if ONLY to ride Hagrid's!

I hope I can soon compare the 2!! :) Please Disney, hurry up and open!!
Really? I didn't find his to be true, but to each his own. I just don't get the same feeling in my gut while at UO that I do at Disney, so I'd always rather be in one of WDW's queues.

I get that. There is a calming sense of joy found in familiar places with familiar music, sights, sounds, etc... I just adored the queues at ALL of the HP rides that are so interactive and well done. They really draw you into the story with life-sized animatronics, caves, pre-shows, music.... so fun!
Nice timing! Glad you didn't miss this one!

For sure!!
We are in the same boat. I work for a children's hospital and so many people have been furloughed or laid off. We are also not doing elective surgeries…so much so that our NICU took over the pre-op area so we could add 10 more beds. We are now taking babies from NICUs near NYC because those hospitals are overrun with CV and need all their vents for the adults.
I love the collaboration in your area; to distribute resources is good to see. And yet, I am sad to see folks who probably need to be getting seen and cared for for their routine and/or chronic conditions makes me frightened for what we're going to see in the coming weeks. Oour CHF, COPD, diabetic patients.. where are they?! At home getting sicker? Yes, no doubt. :( Those screenings and follow-ups that are being missed? That scares me to no end.

Nice! Good luck getting back and stay safe :lovestruc
Thanks, Kelly!! You too!

I’m glad you get to return to “normal work”, haha, it won’t be normal for quite some time!

Oh for sure. Normal at this point means 50% of our last year's capacity of the current date of surgeries done, does that make sense?, N95s for things, 21-minute waits pre- and post- intubation in the OR, adding a TON of time to every case, no visitors, etc... but baby steps, right? I"m just happy to be in my regular unit and with my teammates again.

Our hospital also has a very low census, next week the hospital is doing voluntary lay offs of the nurses. My department is very busy, we could use some of the furloughed nurses. I would hope they let them work with us. Our documentation and software is different than the hospital so that may make it difficult.

Who on earth would have EVER thought nurses would be laid off in the middle of a pandemic? Things that make you go huh? 🤷‍♀️ And on the other hand, other places with severe shortages and overworked staff. It's so weird!!!! I love the idea of cross-training/orienting and getting those furloughed nurses back to work! I would think that with a 2-day inclass training most would be up to speed and ready to at least give a helping hand.

The Infectious Disease Doctors keep saying we are going to see a surge, we have not, thank goodness! I hope we don’t.
We are unionized nurses at our hospital so the voluntary furlough will go by seniority and a bunch of other complicated rules. Some days I wouldn’t mind the furlough haha!

I hope you don't either. But with the strict isolating in place, I'm not sure the surge is possible. that's the whole point right?

I hate that anyone has to lose their livlihood at all. I hope they can find ways to buy food and pay for rent and other things they need.
We JUST became union at the hospital and I have mixed feelings (mostly negative) about that but haven't settled a contract yet. We'll see what comes of it all as we navigate this whole mess.

[/QUOTE]
I had this week off since I would have been at WDW and it has been so nice! I literally have not been in my car since last week!
I have been baking, cooking, and binge watching programs.

I'm so glad you got a nice vacation? out of this in the end! I missed my opportunity for one and will have to power through until September unless places start to open. I might find time for a quick 4-day weekend to Cali or something, or maybe to visit my folks in Kentucky.

It will be back to the real world on Monday

Yep, same, same.

Stay safe my friend! It was one year ago we met and I enjoyed it so much! I hope to see you soon! I hope we can travel together again in the future.
A Disney cruise maybe??

Wouldn't that be lovely? I can see a group doing one at some point. :goodvibes

Glad you will be getting back to normal working conditions, and that you were able to plan your just reward in September. Italy should be just beautiful. I'm cautiously optimistic that the reopenings everywhere will go smoothly if most people remain cautious and reasonable. I think you are right in that we have to find a balance between being prepared to support people fighting corona virus but not neglecting other health or economic issues. Hopefully all over the world people will be willing to safely rebuild economies and societies and communities. I'm hoping to return to Florida in summer 2021 so that's my happy place to think about for the future :)

Me too!!! And September can't come soon enough!! I've been planning like crazy and enjoying every minute. :goodvibes

I do think they will. There's too much at stake not to be. I'm confident that a good balance can be found at this point, unfortunately our governor here is dragging her feet and making things a lot worse. She's definitely not very popular right now. Nevertheless, I think we'll all make it back to Disney safely and wisely by the end of summer. Just a speculation, and perhaps wishful thinking.

I agree that there will be problems of much greater scope than the virus ever was.

Is the state of Oregon planning to open soon?

Our governor (voted the worst in the country according to polls over the last few months, even before Covid) is dragging her feet and doubling down on some very contradictory closures that seem to be discriminatory in nature. Loads of law suits are beginning to come forward so we'll see what that does to change her tune. As of right now, the only things to begin opening are medical facilities (they should have been opened back up weeks ago!) and I've heard that they will finally open our hiking trails and park areas (not sure about urban parks, I'm talking about state park areas with thousands of acres of open space). I read that suicides are up 41% now and the additional death toll with JUST that has now topped our Oregon Covid deaths. We need to get people back to work.

Nice of you to let us know about Hagrids.

I'm glad to hear that you are going back to work. Its a tough balance.
You're welcome! It was a great ride for sure!

It really is, but one that must be found soon. We've already passed the point of causing more harm than we've intended to prevent.

Poolside Bingo sounds like fun. I think you did great! Your vacation at the resort pools looks heavenly. I hope we can return to that kind of normalcy soon.

Given I'd never been to Uni and had only done a very little research, I did okay. If the prize would have been something like a free night in a resort hotel.... I might have tried harder! LOL!!

I sure do too. I can honestly say, when I am at a resort pool, I don't wanna be less than 6, 8, or even 10 feet away from anyone else and can't truthfully say I ever have been. We can easily open the pool areas (where there's loads of UV light to take care of any Covid Beasties) and let people enjoy that. I would FOR SURE take a Disney vacation and be happy as a clam never stepping into a park while enjoying the pools, lounges, patios, etc...

I was a voracious reader when I was young. There was a lot less to do back before internet and cable television. My mom was a big reader and she influenced all of us to read. I was addicted to the Nancy Drew mysteries when I was young. The first books in the series were the best ones. I had a lot of other favorites when I was older, especially historical fiction and mysteries.

Yep, before the internet, we had a lot more time to read and enjoy the stories folks wove in print. I loved Nancy Drew too, but believe it or not, I read most of hers that I did read in my adulthood as my kids read them and we were in Crapistan. I'd agree, the earier ones were MUCH bettter! Historical fiction is my jam as well and I loved the books my kids read for their curriculum as we homeschooled.

I never do that. Usually my vacations are pretty much GO! GO! GO! ATACK! FULL SPEED AHEAD!

Which also usually results in me desperately needing a vacation when I get back from vacation.

I have to be up and running when I get back so need at least a little time of rest on vacation nowadays. Although, once I get to Disney, sometimes it's hard to remember that. SO MUCH TO DO!

This is true. The Budget Inn management (her name's Dolores) frowns upon guests from the Super 8 pool hop. The cost of dropping that extra chlorine puck in the skimmer really eats into her profit margin.

OH dear, let's not tick Dolores off! :scared:

:laughing:
And yes, I noticed @Captain_Oblivious had a similar reaction. Wonder if I would, too?

Only one way to find out!

True. Location, location, location.

That's what they say.

Huh. Those actual cars? I noticed the sign you posted a photo of said "this model", not "this car".

tbh I'm not even sure. I would think so?
Nah. It's a great photo. Makes it look like they're falling. :)

Flattery, I see.

Wait. Oregon and California both share the same coast. Ergo, the weather must be exactly the same.

Science.

Faulty science.

(see what I did there?)

:sad2:
Sorry, but your photo with the car proves this statement a lie.

It's deceiving, let me assure you.

Refillable booze cup? Now that's living dangerously!

Best to get oneself right up to the edge on occasion.

Really! You? Tossing booze? After all your comments of super weak drinks at Disney??

I know... I can shock and awe now and then.

You'd think there'd be a way to cross from one to the other? I mean... that's weird.

One sure would think! I mean, seriously, how many hundreds of folks do that on any given day! The resort had 2200 rooms and the boats are across at Sapphire Falls. It's a duh that they'd need a good and direct way to cross. Maybe an overpass???

So, (reading ahead) where would you put these hotels, in order of where you'd like to stay?
Portofino, Sapphire Falls, Royal Pacific

RP, SF, Porto.

High praise indeed?
"What did you love most about the resort? The pool? The amenities? The menu? The service? The décor?"

"I peed there."

Hey! The bathroom was convenient!

So.... you liked it?
I did!

Now I find that fascinating. I've stayed there and taken advantage of the pool as well. That went right over my head. You having been to those places puts you at a distinct advantage!

Maybe? Just know there wasn't hula music and there were bowing Buddhist gods??

Well, that answers that question.
Guess we'll know where to find you on your next trip! :laughing:

LOL! Yep!
That guy's a jerk. Did you kick him in the ankle and steal his prize? (Do you know what he got for winning?)

I do not. Probably the same?

You... didn't get free ice cream???

During the McCarthyism era (I watched a fascinating documentary about that recently) you'd be labeled a communist for that.

I was saving room for sweets and treats for later. ;)

L and I missed that when we went.

Aw, too bad! I think you'd both have enjoyed it.

I don't think of that movie as steampunk. Huh. Maybe I need to watch it again.

Not the original, no, but I DO think the Depp version was in some ways. At least a little.

Make your heart skip a beat?
Got a thing for guys with wild hair, huh?

Well, I didn't mean it in that I find him a turn on, but he was such a great actor. Loved his stuff!

:laughing: Great shot! Love the goggles.
See you still have your MB on. Did you get beat up at Uni for wearing it?

Nah, only had it on because it was on the same band as my Apple Watch. It's hard to get off once on, so didn't bother.

…why didn't you buy something.
I mean... those goggles were you!

I already have some!! LOL! I wore them with my Steampunk Alice costume 2 years ago for MNSHHP.

hat's too bad.
So did you regret your spot, or did you prefer it for the vantage point?

I was hungry. I could have been seated near the wait station and been happy at that point.

hmmm... 3-7ish?
I had four faves during that period. Gr4 was Creature From Under the Sea.
Not what you think. It was science fiction about a long lost technologically advanced race that lived under the ocean floor.
Gr5 it was either Follow My Leader (about a young boy who lost his sight and learned to cope with the help of his guide dog, Leader) or Have Spacesuit, Will Travel (a Heinlein kid's novel).
Shortly after that (Gr7ish) was Ringworld (by Larry Niven)

Interesting choices for sure. Most, if not all I'd not heard of.
Of those, I only read Charlotte's Web.

But have you seen Stuart Little. ?

The most notable for me is J.R.R. Tolkien. Read the Hobbit when I was in 7th grade and couldn't read all the others fast enough. There are still certain songs that trigger remembrances of particular parts of the books when I hear them.

When I was younger, the author would be Donald J Sobol.

Who might that be you might ask? You might not, but I'm going to tell you so you don't have to look it up.

Encyclopedia Brown series. I've always been a puzzle fan and solving problems. I'm not sure if it was from those books or if it pre-dated those books.
Oh I loved Encyclopedia Brown!! For sure! I also, I have to admit, enjoyed the Hardy Boys books MUCH better than the Nancy Drew books. I tried SO hard to read the Lord of the Rings in high school and hated them. I just couldn't sort the characters out and it frustrated me. The Hobbit was amazing, and I did like that one. Now that I've watched the movies though, I think if I tried to go back and read them, I'd enjoy them a lot. LOVED C.S. Lewis too!!

I did not realize this about Uni resorts! Definitely good information. While Disney will always have my heart, our two Universal trips have actually left me wanting to head back and do more discovering. We've stayed at Cabana Bay both times, but I'd like to explore another of their resorts, especially if it includes the Express pass :)

That's the BEST part of the "deluxe" ones, but the pool day was the BEST!! I LOVE the pool hopping perk!

Oh, yes, most definitely illegal, and a bit dangerous...but also most definitely the direct way between the two!!! When we've stayed at Cabana Bay, we've done the same, in order to take advantage of Sapphire Falls's boat launch!

I seriously don't know how they get away with no safe crossing right there. NO one is going to walk 1/4 up the road to the nearest crosswalk. :rolleyes2

Roald Dahl was one of my favorites, too!! I remember reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but my favorite was always Matilda. Little bookworm that I was, I saw myself in her.

I think they made a movie from Matilda, yes? I haven't seen it, but I think so? It is such a great book!

Ah, yes. Love both versions of the movie. I know people think the Depp version is odd or sort of creepy, but that one is so much more in line with the book character that I loved it anyway!

Both were good in their own rights, just such different interpretations.

My most favorite, like I said was Matilda by Roald Dahl. I really loved the Babysitter's Club series and Sweet Valley High, so cliche! But, I really loved anything by R.L. Stine at the same time!

Goosebumps, right?? Very good girly choices. LOL!

Good work. Gold star for you :)

Green stars are cool too!!

Finally caught up.
I'm so sorry I got so far behind.
This virus crap is crazy. I'm barely working and Joe was furloughed from all his MRI jobs. It really sucks.
I really hope things get back to normal soon...
It's totally ok, Jenny, I'm pretty behind on yours too right now. Well, everyone's again, but I have tomorrow off and will work on others' threads then. :)

I know that even though a lot of people are working less, it's still stressful and making people anxious and maybe spending less time on the DIS. I get that! I am with you... I really want things to get back on a cautious path to normal!! :hug:

This sounds like a great day. I have become a believer in a rest day, or at least partial days (my last August trip in the summer heat we took multiple afternoon breaks at the resort instead of one full day).
I am really thinking the next time I go to Florida, I need to return to Uni (haven't been since 2014) and I am thinking about trying one of their resorts for a night or two. Not sure which one. I would like Portafino Bay or Royal Pacific, just not sure about the $$$$.

Honestly, in some ways, Uni lends itself to relaxing very nicely. Their pools are really well done, their staff was more attentive, they were themed super great and you can try more than one. I think when they throw in the express pass, it makes the extra $$ more than worth it for sure. That's $170 value for EVERYONE in the room!!! If you were going to get that anyway, it more than pays for itself!

That is another "new" place since I have been to Uni. I would really like to try it. Of course mostly for the treats. But I have heard the food is pretty good too.

The food wasn't bad at all. Not signature dining for sure, but a decent square meal in a really fun atmosphere. I think Uni has done quite well in the themed places to eat with the HP places, Mythos and now the Emporium.

I have to admit that I'm not much of a reader.
I didn't read a lot when I was that age, but I do remember getting into the Hardy Boys novels one summer when I was around 11. I also enjoyed The Chronicles of Narnia. My early interest in fantasy novels would lead to the only time in my life I did much reading, in high school when I started with Lord of the Rings, then went onto some of the books in the Dragonlance, Shannara, and Discworld series. I read Harry Potter as an adult and occasionally read a fantasy novel these days, but much less now that I don't travel for work.

Love Hardy Boys, even as an adult. :blush:

And the Narnia series is just quality literature great for all ages. LOVE those books!!! So, you are a fantasy kind of guy, I see. My kids were super into Shannara as well and collected all of them and have met Terry Brooks, who is from the PNW, several times. In fact, he looked Anara, my youngest, in the eye last time, and told her he would name a character in one of his books after her. (I think it's just a catchy name, but she was beaming!) He's a really neat guy.

Seeing your discussion with @Terra Nova guy and about your kids made me realize...while JRR Tolkien, was my favorite, I also read
Shannara Series
Dragon riders of Pern series
Don't think I got into CS Lewis until much later in life
Also got into D&D as a kid. It got a bad rap...it's only when people start trying to act it out or think it's real it becomes a problem. If you take it as a game...it's just a game (albeit more complicated).

I have to be up and running when I get back so need at least a little time of rest on vacation nowadays. Although, once I get to Disney, sometimes it's hard to remember that. SO MUCH TO DO!
You're on your feet a lot more than I am (at work), so I totally get that.
Hmmm..

I wonder if all those people I see lying poolside every day (or on the beach) are more physical labour oriented... hmmm...
OH dear, let's not tick Dolores off! :scared:
She can get mean, ya know.
Only one way to find out!
::yes::
Flattery, I see.
Nah. Just noticed they looked motion blurred. My imagination filled in the rest.
Faulty science.

(see what I did there?)
Actually... No?
Are you referring to Fawlty Towers?
It's deceiving, let me assure you.
I highly doubt that.
Best to get oneself right up to the edge on occasion.
:laughing: I'll take your word for it.
I know... I can shock and awe now and then.
:laughing: You did!
One sure would think! I mean, seriously, how many hundreds of folks do that on any given day! The resort had 2200 rooms and the boats are across at Sapphire Falls. It's a duh that they'd need a good and direct way to cross. Maybe an overpass???
Now that would make sense.
I'm sure they'll build one soon. As soon as some kid gets hit, unfortunately.
RP, SF, Porto.
Interesting! Not surprised to see RP at the front, but am surprised that SF is before Porto.
Hey! The bathroom was convenient!
That reminds me... PM me for an interesting recent story about bathrooms.
Maybe? Just know there wasn't hula music and there were bowing Buddhist gods??
Noticed... neither. :sad2:
I was saving room for sweets and treats for later. ;)
No excuse!!!!
Not the original, no, but I DO think the Depp version was in some ways. At least a little.
Ah! Okay, no, not the original. The Depp one? Yeah, I can see it a bit. At least with Depp's character.
Well, I didn't mean it in that I find him a turn on, but he was such a great actor. Loved his stuff!
He was. He could make you laugh with just a raised eyebrow.
Nah, only had it on because it was on the same band as my Apple Watch. It's hard to get off once on, so didn't bother.
Makes sense.
I already have some!! LOL! I wore them with my Steampunk Alice costume 2 years ago for MNSHHP.
Ah!
Interesting choices for sure. Most, if not all I'd not heard of.
Not overly surprised. :)
They can't all be the classics!
But have you seen Stuart Little. ?
::yes:: But haven't read it.

I seriously don't know how they get away with no safe crossing right there. NO one is going to walk 1/4 up the road to the nearest crosswalk. :rolleyes2
EXACTLY!!! The walking path they WANT you to use takes you across to the other side of Cabana Bay Beach, up some stairs and across an overpass to the other side, but I'd say it easily adds a half mile walk or so winding along the other side of the street and the back-end of the resort before you end up at the top of the hilly driveway up to the Sapphire Falls lobby. It's a beautiful path with lovely flowers and trees along the way, but an excessive amount of walking when one can run frogger-style directly across the street hotel-to-hotel, and be there in 2 minutes.

I think they made a movie from Matilda, yes? I haven't seen it, but I think so? It is such a great book!
Yes. It's SUCH a great one with a feel-good ending :) I was nervous to see it because of how much I adored the book, and it does not disappoint. The characters are very true to their book-form. Just talking about it makes me want to go watch it (or read it!) right now :)

Goosebumps, right?? Very good girly choices. LOL!
LOL, my brother got into Goosebumps, so that made me feel they were too babyish for me. I was absorbed in the Fear Street stories, most particularly The Fear Street Saga. Hmmm....I'd kind of like to find those now, too. They're around here somewhere, and I've got nothin' but time!

Green stars are cool too!!
Star-bellied sneetches are my favorite ;)

Seeing your discussion with @Terra Nova guy and about your kids made me realize...while JRR Tolkien, was my favorite, I also read
Shannara Series
Dragon riders of Pern series
Don't think I got into CS Lewis until much later in life

Another fantasy reader here! At the end of 5th grade, we were assigned both The Hobbit and A Wrinkle in Time. I spent most of the summer reading LOTR and more Madeleine L'Engle. (Not all of her books are fantasy - I actually love some of the more realistic ones. A Ring of Endless Light is one of my all-time favorite books). I also read the Sword of Shannara series and all of the Pern books, but I wouldn't put the Shannara books as a favorite. I also read all of the Narnia books, of course, but I forget exactly when - I think relatively young.

But, my reading habits as a kid (and an adult) were pretty eclectic. I read a lot of classics as a kid - all of the Wizard of Oz books, Nancy Drew, Encyclopedia Brown, Little Women, Little House on the Prairie (all of them), Swiss Family Robinson, Tom Sawyer (which I recently re-read), A Secret Princess. Later, more science fiction, including Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, lots of Heinlein, urban fantasy like Charles de Lint, Emma Bull, and more recently, Gail Carriger or Lauren Willig (ok, that's more romance/historical fiction), Diana Gabaldon...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter