The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for a speedy recovery! Most importantly, I hope this stops the pain and relieves the issue.

Thanks for your Caribbean Beach resort update. I have toyed around for years with staying there with my mom, and I felt like you painted a great picture of the positives and negatives. I feel like I got a good sense of the place, more so than some other reviews have provided.

I love the view that you had from your resort room. It's too bad that the Skyliner wasn't running yet. We just got back from WDW on Monday and rode the Skyliner many times. As others have said, it is a game changer. It is fun to ride and the lines constantly move, so it doesn't take long to get on. And unlike the bus which gets crowded with standing room only, the Skyliner is a sit down ride with plenty of room and only a few people in each car. :)

Good luck with your surgery. I'm sure that you will be given the best they have to offer. :) Will you be home for the entire four weeks?

E is for: Everyone Escapes from Everest

Ahhhhh.... the call of adventure and exploration… you can feel it, no?

(***Please excuse the black part of the photo, you will see a LOT of those from this trip because I was using my phone and the case was wrong for it... I was too afraid to take it out of that case and uncover the lens for fear of dropping it.)

The chance to scale sheer walls of ice on a mountain riddled with man-eating crevasses, risk life and limb to frostbite, hypothermia, or oxygen deprivation, and finding glory, fame, and inner-fulfillment in conquering the world’s tallest mountain top is real and raw, isn’t it?

No?

It isn’t for me either.

I’m way too lazy to go to the gym even once a week.

Buahahaha, I crack myself up!! I’m too lazy to go to the gym once a YEAR!! Plus, I super hate cold. (As the space heater runs full blast on my feet.) I happened to enjoy the use of my fingers and toes quite a lot and while my neck isn’t perfect, (although it’s about to get a lot better 😉 ) it's also not broken either. Hence, there is a wienie way out for folks like me. And, since I haven’t heard any of you mention that you’re training for a run at Everest, that means you too.

Wanna climb this one with me instead?

Okay, let’s pretend we’re in Nepal now and call it Sagarmatha like they do. Nevermind that it’s 110° warmer than the average high in September at the top of Sagarmatha. Which makes this trek, at least in my opinion, a lot more attractive. Plus, there are Frozen Chai Lattes waiting for thirsty travelers where we are.

And there hoves in the distance- the magnificent, mystical, romantic mountain. Let's get hiking!

After all day in Animal Kingdom, your feet are going to feel like they've had an actual trek through Kathmandu to the mountain. Trust me on this.

Those who dare attempt to scale its heights will be rewarded with grand vistas and, should you humbly offer your hair tie, the elusive Gaurdian of the Mountain may even offer you safe passage. Then again, he probably thinks you’re an idiot for littering on a trek that’s not just yours to enjoy. (*I maybe should have warned you that this post was not to be devoid of a cranky old lady’s opinions.)

Please excuse the sarcasm, I hope it doesn't drip on your hair…. Now, where was I? Right, we’re headed to Nepal and passing through India now.

Getting closer! Anyone want a Samosa?

Tough.

You can’t find one anywhere nearby, even though they are the most popular street food there. Never fear, intrepid traveler! While you can’t find samosas, you can find some wicked good fries at Mr. Kamal’s in Anandapur.
(*Side note, they used to have them at Mr. Kamal's but somewhere along the line, met their demise which **IMHCOLO, is a crying shame!) (**In my humble, cranky, old lady opinion)

If those don’t suit your fancy, maybe some eggrolls from Yak and Yeti might tickle your fancy… which are also decidedly not Nepalese. Perhaps there just aren’t enough tourists to THIS Everest who can help our hosts turn a profit serving tea with salt and butter or inferno-spicy lentils.

At last, our prize is within our reach; we can feel the excitement mounting! Did the trek thus far give you ample warning that danger may lie ahead? You saw the ginormous footprints, yes? Don’t let the screams of terror frighten you. Those were from all the dads in Serka Zong who just spent $54 on a t-shirt for Little Joey.

(Me laughing at that, as I turn around and spend $200 on mugs and pins.... :rolleyes: )

Time to embark on our long-anticipated, well-trained for, expensive journey!!(You do realize that you indeed could have probably gotten a couple of r/t tix to actual Nepal for what you spent on this Disney vacation, right?)

All aboard! See? Isn’t it better getting to the top of a mountain without having to suck O2 that you had to carry? A whole hella better than waking up to your black fingers falling off too. But that’s just me. Choo, choo, wheeee!

Ahhh, there it is, those views of grandeur I mentioned!!

Along the way, in an attempt to avoid the ridiculous collection of used hair ties, I aimed up and found a different view than the bent tracks, of which every single one of us has approximately 14,000 photos of already. Including me. It’s like we can’t help ourselves.

(Did you notice the anchor bolt at 1:00? Nice touch Imagineers!)

Heh, I like the shots of the prayer flags and always come home with 14,000 more of those, so, here ya go, one more for the ride.

Speaking of which, here is the Guardian himself… out of sorts as usual. I can only guess that it’s because he’s out of lemon flavoring again, trying to catch the hair tie tossers, or the Mrs. asked him to shovel the snow one too many times. Perhaps you can come up with a better theory, Dear Reader. (Let’s see who’s reading…)

(Pretty excited about the first clear photo I've ever gotten of this in 13 years of going to WDW.)

Well, we all made it back safely. Good to see you all are still with me. You are, aren’t you? No one was lost in a crevasse or lost a finger along the way to gangrene? I have a guide waiting to take us back to our hostel and for a nice tip will stop for a Frozen Chai Latte at the Royal Anadapur Tea Company.

It's okay, it was just a minor fender bender.

Mmm, Frozen Chai Latte! The quality is almost always top-notch. Well, except that one time I found a chunk of plastic in mine. Which makes me think this may be closer to the real trek than we think….

Now it's YOUR turn: What is one real life adventure, outside of Disney, that you want to go on. Let's assume you are in shape and healthy enough to do it. Doesn't have to be physically challenging, so any place you really want to travel to or site you want to see? For me, Disney in a LOT of places around the parks, makes me actually want to GO to those places; World Showcase is especially notorious for that, at least for me.

Today is crunch time. All must be ready for surgery tomorrow morning, my recovery, and trying to host a big family Holiday gathering on Saturday... let’s see what kind of Wonder Woman I can pull off.... :rolleyes: it’s either going to be spectacular or a spectacular fail.

Having said that, replies soon. Could be interesting while all hopped up on Dilaudid! Lol!

Why are you pointing to your hat?
I recognize that bracelet. :)
The chance to scale sheer walls of ice on a mountain riddled with man-eating crevasses, risk life and limb to frostbite, hypothermia, or oxygen deprivation, and finding glory, fame, and inner-fulfillment in conquering the world’s tallest mountain top is real and raw, isn’t it?
Nah. I got enough of that living up north.
Well, not the mountain part, but the crevasses, risking life and limb to frostbite and hypothermia anyways.
Buahahaha, I crack myself up!! I’m too lazy to go to the gym once a YEAR!!
:laughing:
I happened to enjoy the use of my fingers and toes quite a lot and while my neck isn’t perfect,
I knew a guy... well... maybe that's a story for another time.
Sure!
Okay, let’s pretend we’re in Nepal now and call it Sagarmatha like they do.
Did not know that. Did you? Or did you Google it?
Nevermind that it’s 110° warmer than the average high in September at the top of Sagarmatha. Which makes this trek, at least in my opinion, a lot more attractive.
Hmm... depends on exactly how hot...
Plus, there are Frozen Chai Lattes waiting for thirsty travelers where we are.
Always a plus. :)
Love this shot! Nice!
should you humbly offer your hair tie, the elusive Gaurdian of the Mountain may even offer you safe passage. Then again, he probably thinks you’re an idiot for littering on a trek that’s not just yours to enjoy.
Yeah... I know it's a thing, but... maybe if they cleaned it all up, it'd stop. Maybe...
(*I maybe should have warned you that this post was not to be devoid of a cranky old lady’s opinions.)
oops! Thanks for the warning.
You've got such a great eye. :)
Getting closer! Anyone want a Samosa?
NO!
I had food poisoning this weekend and that may have been what caused it.
Probably not, but... possibly.
While you can’t find samosas, you can find some wicked good fries at Mr. Kamal’s in Anandapur. (*Side note, they used to have them at Mr. Kamal's but somewhere along the line, met their demise which **IMHCOLO, is a crying shame!) (**In my humble, cranky, old lady opinion)
Wait... what? You mean the samosas are gone, not the fries, right?
Perhaps there just aren’t enough tourists to THIS Everest who can help our hosts turn a profit serving tea with salt and butter or inferno-spicy lentils.
No... probably not. Wouldn't be me, at least.
Don’t let the screams of terror frighten you. Those were from all the dads in Serka Zong who just spent $54 on a t-shirt for Little Joey.
(Me laughing at that, as I turn around and spend $200 on mugs and pins.... :rolleyes: )
:lmao:
(You do realize that you indeed could have probably gotten a couple of r/t tix to actual Nepal for what you spent on this Disney vacation, right?)
Yes, but this way you get to keep your fingers and toes. So it's still the better value.
Isn’t it better getting to the top of a mountain without having to suck O2 that you had to carry?
I dunno… I see plenty of people walking around Disney sucking O2 that they schlep in those little carts.
Great shot!
I do wonder what that girl behind you was doing. Pretending a friend/family member/lover was along?
I aimed up and found a different view than the bent tracks, of which every single one of us has approximately 14,000 photos of already.
Like I said... you've got a great eye. :) I don't know anyone that's taken that shot.
Now that you pointed it out... ::yes::
Heh, I like the shots of the prayer flags and always come home with 14,000 more of those, so, here ya go, one more for the ride.
:laughing: Phew! I was beginning to wonder!
the Mrs. asked him to shovel the snow one too many times. Perhaps you can come up with a better theory, Dear Reader. (Let’s see who’s reading…)
Nope. That's the reason all right. Trust me on this.
(Pretty excited about the first clear photo I've ever gotten of this in 13 years of going to WDW.)
Nicely done. :)
No one was lost in a crevasse or lost a finger along the way to gangrene?
Ew...
It's okay, it was just a minor fender bender.
How can you tell? The whole thing looks like a fender bender...
Mmm, Frozen Chai Latte! The quality is almost always top-notch. Well, except that one time I found a chunk of plastic in mine.
Extra flavouring? Is that extra?
Now it's YOUR turn: What is one real life adventure, outside of Disney, that you want to go on. Let's assume you are in shape and healthy enough to do it. Doesn't have to be physically challenging, so any place you really want to travel to or site you want to see?
Hmm...
While I've wanted to sea Japan, I think, now, at my age, I'd be more comfortable on a guided tour.
But one place I've talked about is Fiji. It just seems.... so remote. I like the idea of going somewhere that few have ventured.
All must be ready for surgery tomorrow morning, my recovery, and trying to host a big family Holiday gathering on Saturday... let’s see what kind of Wonder Woman I can pull off.... :rolleyes:
Are you crazy! Holy cow! Good luck!

Thoughts and prayers for speedy recovery!

Yum! I’ve only had one but I hope it won’t be my last.

I maybe should have warned you that this post was not to be devoid of a cranky old lady’s opinions.)
It’s very close to this cranky old man’s opinion.
I never understood the hair ties, and why Disney doesn’t clean them up.

You do realize that you indeed could have probably gotten a couple of r/t tix to actual Nepal for what you spent on this Disney vacation, right
A very good point. I’ve often thought (when I have extra money to spend on vacations) that I should take my family somewhere else. The call of the mouse is strong though.

Did you notice the anchor bolt at 1:00? Nice touch Imagineers!)
I had not noticed and likely never would have if you hadn’t pointed it out. I love those little touches.

Perhaps you can come up with a better theory, Dear Reader.
The yeti just watched Rivers of light and realized that’s an hour of his life he won’t get back?

Now it's YOUR turn: What is one real life adventure, outside of Disney, that you want to go on.
Italy. For the architecture, the culture, and most importantly the food.
I’ve also been fond of Santorini with the white houses and blue roofs.

Such a fun adventure for me to read on this Monday morning!!! :) Thanks for taking me along!

People always ask me, "Don't you want to travel anywhere else besides Disney World?" And usually the answer is...not really! It brings me so much joy to be there. BUT, I do think it would be awesome to spend some time seeing the natural wonders of the world, starting with the Grand Canyon! My aunt and her family actually spent a couple of weeks on a trip camping down in the canyon. It looked incredible!

Please excuse the sarcasm, I hope it doesn't drip on your hair….
Bwahaha!!!

I have quite a few other places I want to visit - a bunch of National Parks, going back to Europe, Japan - and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Ok, maybe not Antarctica. Tho an Alaskan cruise might be interesting. Not to climb Everest, however. I like hiking, but a bit less strenuously. And not backpacking.

::yes:: Especially sitting here in my cube at work.

I’m way too lazy to go to the gym even once a week.

Buahahaha, I crack myself up!! I’m too lazy to go to the gym once a YEAR!!

:rotfl2:Nice.

Plus, I super hate cold.

I would also much rather be hot than cold.

Those who dare attempt to scale its heights will be rewarded with grand vistas and, should you humbly offer your hair tie, the elusive Gaurdian of the Mountain may even offer you safe passage. Then again, he probably thinks you’re an idiot for littering on a trek that’s not just yours to enjoy.

I know at least one person who thinks that...:rolleyes1

If those don’t suit your fancy, maybe some eggrolls from Yak and Yeti might tickle your fancy… which are also decidedly not Nepalese. Perhaps there just aren’t enough tourists to THIS Everest who can help our hosts turn a profit serving tea with salt and butter or inferno-spicy lentils.

I have to admit, I'd choose the fries and egg rolls.

In the end, they extract their pound of flesh from all of us.

(You do realize that you indeed could have probably gotten a couple of r/t tix to actual Nepal for what you spent on this Disney vacation, right?)

Don't remind me...

Along the way, in an attempt to avoid the ridiculous collection of used hair ties, I aimed up and found a different view than the bent tracks, of which every single one of us has approximately 14,000 photos of already.

It actually took me like 4-5 trips to get one of those photos.

:thumbsup2

Speaking of which, here is the Guardian himself… out of sorts as usual. I can only guess that it’s because he’s out of lemon flavoring again, trying to catch the hair tie tossers, or the Mrs. asked him to shovel the snow one too many times. Perhaps you can come up with a better theory, Dear Reader. (Let’s see who’s reading…)

Just priced out a Disney vacation for a family of 6.

Well, except that one time I found a chunk of plastic in mine.

Ew.

Now it's YOUR turn: What is one real life adventure, outside of Disney, that you want to go on. Let's assume you are in shape and healthy enough to do it. Doesn't have to be physically challenging, so any place you really want to travel to or site you want to see?

Someday I want to cross Australia and New Zealand off the bucket list. Switzerland is high up there, too.

Today is crunch time. All must be ready for surgery tomorrow morning, my recovery, and trying to host a big family Holiday gathering on Saturday... let’s see what kind of Wonder Woman I can pull off.... :rolleyes: it’s either going to be spectacular or a spectacular fail.

Praying for a speedy recovery!

No!

The chance to scale sheer walls of ice
Ummm, definitely no. I prefer my water in liquid form!

man-eating crevasses
Is crevass a synonym for tiger?

risk life and limb to frostbite, hypothermia, or oxygen deprivation
You paint such an enticing picture.

NOT!

Still no!

It isn’t for me either.
Whew! You had me scared for a while there.

Plus, I super hate cold.
This!

Abso-tively.

Nevermind that it’s 110° warmer than the average high in September at the top of Sagarmatha.
Only 110? So, it's only -20 there?

You can have mine too. Dole whip for me, thanks.

After all day in Animal Kingdom, your feet are going to feel like they've had an actual trek through Kathmandu to the mountain. Trust me on this.
No need to trust you, although I do...I know this all too well. Even WITHOUT a blister.

Then again, he probably thinks you’re an idiot for littering on a trek that’s not just yours to enjoy.
He's not the only one who thinks they're idiots.

devoid of a cranky old lady’s opinions
Get off her lawn! And mine too!

serving tea with salt and butter or inferno-spicy lentils.
I like tea, but neither of these sounds appetizing.

Don’t let the screams of terror frighten you. Those were from all the dads in Serka Zong who just spent $54 on a t-shirt for Little Joey.
You heard me? Although I have no Joey.

ou do realize that you indeed could have probably gotten a couple of r/t tix to actual Nepal for what you spent on this Disney vacation, right?
I'm thinking at least 3 trips for one Disney ticket.

But that’s just me.
Not just you.

Ahhh, there it is, those views of grandeur I mentioned!!

Guessing y'all were in the front. I like that view.

Perhaps you can come up with a better theory, Dear Reader. (Let’s see who’s reading…)
His wife convinced him to buy a 4 BR, 3 BA cave near the railroad tracks. He tried and he tried, but he couldn't get used to the train going by and waking him up. After a particularly bad argument with the missus, he snapped and ripped up the track to stop. The reason he's still prowling the tracks is because while it helped stop the through trains, the shirpas just routed another track in the other direction to help tourists and he's still cranky.

Is Mikki that much of a ham or were you posing her?

except that one time I found a chunk of plastic in mine.
Ewww!

Does that mean it was this time?

Now it's YOUR turn: What is one real life adventure, outside of Disney, that you want to go on. Let's assume you are in shape and healthy enough to do it.
I don't have a bucket list, per se, but there's only 3 trips I still want to do...
1) Germany. I think I shared with you how I was SUPPOSED to be stationed there and got screwed over.
2) Hawaii - one of the few states I haven't been to.
3) New Zealand. Although I'm not a Hobbit fanatic, I'd like to see all the varied landscapes and places they had in the movie and they're all in New Zealand.

Okay, 4
Would like to go back to Italy. Had an amazing time there.

Hey All,

It's post-op Day 3. And it's not been fun. At all.

This has been a MUCH rougher recovery than I'd anticipated or hoped for. Aside from the normal pain in my neck and throat, which has actually been managable, I have been struggling with a horrific pain in my right arm shooting all the way down it, ending with the worst pain I've maybe ever had in my middle finger. Makes it rather hard to use it towards my surgeon now. I've been on Dilaudid around-the-clock (which I absolultely did NOT want to be) and confess if it weren't for that, I'd be getting no sleep at all. While it doesnt make me loopy, it does make me a bit nauseous and EXTREMELY tired. I"ve literally almost slept for 3 days straight. Except it's in broken chunks because the pain wakes me a lot and I have to take other meds ATC also. In addition, I've developed a funky tic in both wrists so I can barely hold my phone or type (you have no idea how long this took to type so far....). It's made heating up food hard, and is super annoying while trying to lie still. Sorry for being a whiner, but it does explain why I haven't been here to answer replies. I just can't. The doctor has put me on a course of heavy steroids to see if these concerning nerve pains are caused by swelling and if they might help. I'll know in 3 days.

Still having the fam over on Saturday, but obviously they are going to have to entertain themselves. Hopefully 3 more days will make a big difference.

Hope you are all having a really amazing Christmas. :) I'm sure my little party is going to be fun, just need to get over this hump.

Love you guys!

Hey All,

It's post-op Day 3. And it's not been fun. At all.

This has been a MUCH rougher recovery than I'd anticipated or hoped for. Aside from the normal pain in my neck and throat, which has actually been managable, I have been struggling with a horrific pain in my right arm shooting all the way down it, ending with the worst pain I've maybe ever had in my middle finger. Makes it rather hard to use it towards my surgeon now. I've been on Dilaudid around-the-clock (which I absolultely did NOT want to be) and confess if it weren't for that, I'd be getting no sleep at all. While it doesnt make me loopy, it does make me a bit nauseous and EXTREMELY tired. I"ve literally almost slept for 3 days straight. Except it's in broken chunks because the pain wakes me a lot and I have to take other meds ATC also. In addition, I've developed a funky tic in both wrists so I can barely hold my phone or type (you have no idea how long this took to type so far....). It's made heating up food hard, and is super annoying while trying to lie still. Sorry for being a whiner, but it does explain why I haven't been here to answer replies. I just can't. The doctor has put me on a course of heavy steroids to see if these concerning nerve pains are caused by swelling and if they might help. I'll know in 3 days.

Still having the fam over on Saturday, but obviously they are going to have to entertain themselves. Hopefully 3 more days will make a big difference.

Hope you are all having a really amazing Christmas. :) I'm sure my little party is going to be fun, just need to get over this hump.

Love you guys!
So sorry. This was not what was hoping or praying for you.
:hug:

Love you too girl!

I'm so sorry to hear this! Really!
Actually distresses me to hear that. I am really sorry to hear that you're going through all this. I'm sure when you went in for your procedure, that this was not something you would have wanted.
Thoughts and prayers that things begin to improve and soon.

Sorry to hear it’s not going that well for you. Wishing you the best.

If you want something to read, I’ll give you my own real life update.

I've been busy avoiding axes at work.
I've had a rough couple months on the job front to be honest.
Short story is that my company is not doing well and in an effort to get into the black before year end the axes have come out in force.
I had to lay off three of my staff and I really haven't been sure about myself for a while.
I finally received an offer letter this month to move into a different position. So at least I will be OK for a while longer.

The new position involves 12 hour shift work for two weeks and then a week off. I’ve started working day shift, shadowing someone else since there’s so much to learn with this new job. I’ll switch to night shift on 23rd. Yes I know, perfect timing for Christmas. The holidays for me this year are basically a write off. But considering the industry I’m in and many people are stuck offshore on an oil rig, I still consider myself fortunate to be able to go home after 12 hours.
And keeping in mind the other option was no job, I guess I should count my blessings. There is a very steep learning curve with the new job and to say I’m stressed is an understatement. Coupled with trying to adjust the family to me doing 12 hour shifts and not being available for practical stuff like driving DD to dance lessons or helping cook meals, let’s just say life is a bit of a struggle right now. Hopefully we all adjust and things get easier over the next couple months.

Last edited:
Oh, Liesa, I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of this pain! I hope the healing on the other side of this recovery will make all the suffering more than worth it! Sending love and pixie dust that this process moves along quickly for you.

Not the update we were hoping for. I hope your recovery turns a corner soon, and your family takes good care of you when they come to visit. Sending all the healing vibes your way...

May the optimistic spirit you had before the surgery reenergize your recovery.

May the doctors and health care providers discern exactly what is needed to optimize your journey.

May family and friends offer what is most beneficial to your return to wholeness.

May you give yourself the time, patience, and strength to best make it through this unforeseen setback.

May you know even in the moments of doubt that there are always arms around you.

Zero gaurantees on no typos. In fact, there may very well be quite a few, but attempting a few replies....

:scared1:

Holy smokes! The timing of this seems....
Well, on the one hand, it'll be nice to have you mom around, I'm sure... on the other hand... do you really need to be entertaining after neck surgery?!?!?!?
Whichever way you slice it.... um... let me rephrase that... whichever way you look at it, I hope it works out well for you.

My kids and a few friends have stepped up a little for errands and a bit of help, but I'm REALLY looking forward to my mom getting here tomorrow. Been a rougher go than I'd anticipated and she's very helpful.

Everything is done except putting the rub on the lamb, getting the pinapple on the ham, making a gingerbread trifle, and making some cranberries. I'll have loads of help. :)

That must be comforting. :)

Very. They all did such a professional and tender job with me. I felt very safe and taken care of.

Consider thoughts and prayers to be winging your way. :hug:

Thanks so much!

So that's what it takes! Drastic, but effective.

Sadly, so far that's not working out very well. Still loads of pain keeping me up a lot of the night which makes me sleep most of the day (in small chunks), I'm dizzy from the meds and just can't do much of anything. Even getting up from bed to go potty or take those meds is a massive ordeal.

All I hear is the hum of the hvac system and the guy beside me on the next computer, typing away.

So the empathy didn't go very far. :laughing:
That bad, huh? I think I'll skip trying that.
Oh I dunno. I kinda like it and that's what I usually have after coffee time at work. It's refreshing and keeps me hydrated.

::yes::
When the generator was turned off (no electricity out there) the silence was amazing.

I'll bet! I just read an article about why (the scientific reason) it's so quiet when it snows. I'm sure it was beautiful with the occasional Northern Lights too.

Nope! It's all about me, ya know.
LOL!! You keep thinking that... ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter