The best WDW restaurants for foodies and theming

massachusettsdad

Earning My Ears
I know it's a hard thing to say what the "best" of anything is, especially restaurants. It all depends on what you're looking for, right?

I've got a trip coming up in February and I'd like to check out some new dining options rather than visiting the same old favorites.

I came across this post with a lot of good suggestions for foodies:

https://luxerecess.com/best-healthy-restaurants-for-foodies-at-disney-world/

I agree with a lot of the picks (California Grill, Skipper Canteen, and I'm looking forward to trying Tiffins).

But I got to thinking that some of my favorite Disney restaurants don't just have good food, they also have good theming. I love feeling like we're visiting a different part of the world for dinner. Places like Ohana and Biergarten for example. And lounges like Trader Sam's and Nomad.

Which restaurants at WDW do the best job of delivering good food *and* theming in your experience?
Thanks in advance...

The best experiences I've had at Disney for food and an enjoyable time were the dock at Boathouse and California Grill brunch. Also really enjoyed dinner at Via Napoli sitting outside in the evening, though outside eating may not be an option in February.

BOG dinner, Boma, 50’s PTC, Le Cellier, and Tutto Italia. The others I am about to mention get mixed reviews but we also enjoy Tony’s and Coral Reef.

I know it's a hard thing to say what the "best" of anything is, especially restaurants. It all depends on what you're looking for, right?

I've got a trip coming up in February and I'd like to check out some new dining options rather than visiting the same old favorites.

I came across this post with a lot of good suggestions for foodies:

https://luxerecess.com/best-healthy-restaurants-for-foodies-at-disney-world/

I agree with a lot of the picks (California Grill, Skipper Canteen, and I'm looking forward to trying Tiffins).

But I got to thinking that some of my favorite Disney restaurants don't just have good food, they also have good theming. I love feeling like we're visiting a different part of the world for dinner. Places like Ohana and Biergarten for example. And lounges like Trader Sam's and Nomad.

Which restaurants at WDW do the best job of delivering good food *and* theming in your experience?
Thanks in advance...
The way you've asked your question - you're likely get a list of favorite restaurants without much explanations.

So let me start here - best food is not necessarily indicative of best theming, and vice-versa.

For instance, in no uncertain terms, I think the food at Sci-Fi Dine-In sucks. And not only do I drive a convertible in real life, there happens to be a drive-in theater in my home town that we enjoy regularly. But I love going to Sci-Fi - because I simply find the theming too impressive. Beauty (theming) is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, in real life, I am a foodie with a pedigree of having lived a storied life enjoying Michelin-starred restaurants in (mostly) New York City, San Francisco, New Orleans, and Europe, as well as, I managed high-end restaurants that would be familiar to just about anyone who has ever visited NYC. Now, just because a person has been to fancy restaurants does not mean they truly know about food. For instance - my friend insisted he was taking me to the BEST Chinese restaurant ever....as he drowned everything he ate in hot mustard and duck sauce - I never took food advice from him again.

Best food at Disney (that is not Victoria & Albert) is served at Swan & Dolphin Signatures - best seafood (BlueZoo), steaks (Shula's), and Italian (Il Mulino). Capa at Four Seasons is also excellent. The Disney-run Signatures serve the best of nothing, but they do offer some great theming; non-Signatures can be fun too. Nothing in Disney Springs, said, "Wow," to us last month...but the ambiance atop Paddlefish made those oysters taste pretty darn good (with a depressing green tomato beneath the crab cake).

Best theming is in the eye of the beholder. CA Grill has no real theming, but it offers an unparalleled view of the Magic Kingdom. And despite the fact that we stay at Contemporary (Bay Lake Tower next door, really) with a view of the Magic Kingdom from our room, we eat here every vacation. However, other than maybe recommending their brunch, the place is too hit-or-miss when it comes to their food for me to make a recommendation because of their food. In other words, I would not go out of my way for CA Grill because of their food, but if you could only dine at one place without going into a Park, this is the place I'd be recommending - because of the view.

Sanaa is likely my favorite themed place - because the food is pretty good AND you can enjoy the animals on the Savannah (during a daylight meal)....and it's inside the most impressively themed resort.

Coral Reef is very cool - because the room is amazing....but there are people on the Dis'Board whom I do respect for their food knowledge - folks who find the food at Coral Reef to be the polar-opposite of my favorable experiences.

50's Prime Time is very cool too - but only if you ever experienced black & white TV's (with knobs), formica tables, etc. The theming is lost on most children.

Similarly, Brown Derby is from an era in Hollywood that no longer exists...with the most popular dish being a salad.

Cinderella's Castle is visually amazing, but I insist the food only tastes amazing after Jasmine visits our table.:rolleyes1

For the price of admission - Hoop Dee Doo Revue is an amazingly fun time...but they serve cold food (that is kinda' intended to be served hot) - and yet, worth the price of admission (if you can find the place).

It rains inside the Rainforest Cafe.

You can feel the claps of thunder if dining in the West Wing of Beast Castle (and meet The Beast only at dinner) - another of my favorites.

You may be an American history buff, so Liberty Tree Tavern costumes could make you smile.

My child has sorta' outgrown character meals, but I melt every time I hug Goofy at Cape May or Tusker House - so it's not about the food here either.

Everyone who is going to offer you advice has their favorites....and there would be others who will suggest that these same places were the place(s) where they had their worst experiences.

The way you've asked your question - you're likely get a list of favorite restaurants without much explanations.

So let me start here - best food is not necessarily indicative of best theming, and vice-versa.

For instance, in no uncertain terms, I think the food at Sci-Fi Dine-In sucks. And not only do I drive a convertible in real life, there happens to be a drive-in theater in my home town that we enjoy regularly. But I love going to Sci-Fi - because I simply find the theming too impressive. Beauty (theming) is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, in real life, I am a foodie with a pedigree of having lived a storied life enjoying Michelin-starred restaurants in (mostly) New York City, San Francisco, New Orleans, and Europe, as well as, I managed high-end restaurants that would be familiar to just about anyone who has ever visited NYC. Now, just because a person has been to fancy restaurants does not mean they truly know about food. For instance - my friend insisted he was taking me to the BEST Chinese restaurant ever....as he drowned everything he ate in hot mustard and duck sauce - I never took food advice from him again.

Best food at Disney (that is not Victoria & Albert) is served at Swan & Dolphin Signatures - best seafood (BlueZoo), steaks (Shula's), and Italian (Il Mulino). Capa at Four Seasons is also excellent. The Disney-run Signatures serve the best of nothing, but they do offer some great theming; non-Signatures can be fun too. Nothing in Disney Springs, said, "Wow," to us last month...but the ambiance atop Paddlefish made those oysters taste pretty darn good (with a depressing green tomato beneath the crab cake).

Best theming is in the eye of the beholder. CA Grill has no real theming, but it offers an unparalleled view of the Magic Kingdom. And despite the fact that we stay at Contemporary (Bay Lake Tower next door, really) with a view of the Magic Kingdom from our room, we eat here every vacation. However, other than maybe recommending their brunch, the place is too hit-or-miss when it comes to their food for me to make a recommendation because of their food. In other words, I would not go out of my way for CA Grill because of their food, but if you could only dine at one place without going into a Park, this is the place I'd be recommending - because of the view.

Sanaa is likely my favorite themed place - because the food is pretty good AND you can enjoy the animals on the Savannah (during a daylight meal)....and it's inside the most impressively themed resort.

Coral Reef is very cool - because the room is amazing....but there are people on the Dis'Board whom I do respect for their food knowledge - folks who find the food at Coral Reef to be the polar-opposite of my favorable experiences.

50's Prime Time is very cool too - but only if you ever experienced black & white TV's (with knobs), formica tables, etc. The theming is lost on most children.

Similarly, Brown Derby is from an era in Hollywood that no longer exists...with the most popular dish being a salad.

Cinderella's Castle is visually amazing, but I insist the food only tastes amazing after Jasmine visits our table.:rolleyes1

For the price of admission - Hoop Dee Doo Revue is an amazingly fun time...but they serve cold food (that is kinda' intended to be served hot) - and yet, worth the price of admission (if you can find the place).

You can feel the claps of thunder if dining in the West Wing of Beast Castle (and meet The Beast only at dinner) - another of my favorites.

You may be an American history buff, so Liberty Tree Tavern costumes could make you smile.

My child has sorta' outgrown character meals, but I melt every time I hug Goofy at Cape May or Tusker House - so it's not about the food here either.

Everyone who is going to offer you advice has their favorites....and there would be others who will suggest that these same places were the place(s) where they had their worst experiences.

Skipper Canteen, Satuli Canteen, Tusker House, The Wave. It will be interesting to try the new Edison restaurant.

Morimoto:

Famous Chef (purely status)
Interesting/delicious food - all 5 of us (adults) loved it. And we had notoriously snobby eaters with us.
Good cocktails
Gorgeous atmosphere, stunning

We only visit five TS eateries at WDW when we go there for an actual meal.
1) We prefer
. . . fine food
. . . excellent, top notch service
. . . innovative dishes with flair and quality
. . . overall great value
. . . relaxed and soothing dining atmosphere
. . . behaved and somewhat quiet patrons
2) The only sit-down restaurants we routinely visit,
. . . Sanaa - Animal Kingdom Villas Resort (one of my personal favs)
. . . Artist Point - Wilderness Lodge Resort
. . . Citricos - Grand Floridian Resort
. . . Shula's Steakhouse - Dolphin Resort (no DDP)
. . . Il Mulino - Swan Resort (no DDP)
3) Our (nearby) off-site Recommendations:
. . . Bull & Bear - Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek - Fine Dining
. . . Café D'Antonio - Celebration - Casual Italian
. . . Columbia - Celebration - Casual Spanish/Cuban
. . . Fish Bones - Hwy192 - Seafood
. . . Venetian Room - Caribe Royale Hotel - Fine Dining
. . . The Hotel Tea Room - Davenport, FL - Casual - Friday Steak-Fry, Afternoon Tea
NOTE1: The only time we visit other TS eateries is to renew our ratings for the eatery(ies). And, when we do these, we have "sampler" dishes (whether free or paid) so we can try several appys/entrées without pigging-out or having major weight gains.
NOTE2: Now, for a real treat, go to The Hotel Tea Room in Davenport, Florida on a Friday evening. It is run by a real, true "Little Old Lady" (Miss Mae), who refuses to charge big bucks! They have a Rib-Eye or New York Strip steak dinner that tops Ruth's Chris' or Shula's. The steak covers the entire plate. These are the only things on the menu for Friday nights. They get primals and do their own cutting of the steak. It is an OLD hotel with a small dining room. Has an award winning Pastry Chef from TV and he has Best-In-Show awards for pies, pastries, and cakes !!! Our total bill for the wife and I (salad, 1½"-thick-after-cooking, dessert, and taxes) was only $66.00. (You can split the steak and pay less than $35 total for two people.)
They have a nice Afternoon Tea. Breakfast is literally all you can eat for $7.00, tax included. Yep, seven bucks ... no typo! Order your eggs, bacon, pancakes (etc). After, you are asked if you want more of any of the items. NO EXTRA CHARGE. The place is about 25-min from WDW, but really worth the wait. Check them out on Facebook or Internet (http://www.hoteltearoom.com/). Ressies required for Friday night steak fry (863-421-0827) and most Afternoon Teas. They do not serve alcohol, but you can BYOB for wine or spirits.

As was said, this is the best description of WDW restuarants I've ever read. I don't go to WDW for dining. I can find places equal or better than any in WDW here in MD/DC area for a lower price. Not that I won't eat at a signature, I just don't expect an experience I've never had before or get obsessed with ADRs.

I get why some people really like WDW dining, especially if there is nothing like it where they live.

I love Territory Lounge for the wine, the snacks, and the ambience. I'm not sure why their marinated olives and almonds taste that good or if they even really do, the place is peaceful and just makes me happy.

While I loved the food at Jiko much more, I think Sanaa really nails it with both food and theming. Get the naan service!

Rose and Crown is so underrated. It has spectacular outdoor seating for Illuminations and if you're seated inside, they take you to their private viewing area. Food there is phenomenal!!!

I appreciate the fact that you have separated out "the best" from "food + theming". People often complain that the restaurants that are considered to be "the best" are overpriced and can't really compare to top restaurants found elsewhere in the world. Both may be true, but....so what? If I go to vacation in a more remote part of the country, I don't refrain from eating simply because there are no restaurants in the area that are as good as Danielle or the French Laundry. And when I go to WDW, I don't refrain from dining out simply because the restaurants there fail that same test. When I am away from home, I generally look for:
  • the best that is available,
  • the most authentic that is available,
  • the most "true to the region" that is available
Doesn't matter if it is three-star Michelin dining or a roadside BBQ joint. I enjoy both depending on circumstances and mood. So when I go to WDW, I try to mix "best food" with "only at WDW". And when those two things combine, it is magical. I don't sit around bemoaning the fact that my entree isn't as good as the one I had at Jean Georges last week. Or that the pasta at the Factory Kitchen in December blew away what is in front of me. Life's too short. There are some (to me) truly awful places at WDW and I do my best to avoid them. And there are some trusted favorites that I keep going back to. And now, especially with the growth of Disney Springs, there are many new places (at least to me) that I am set on trying. All that said, here are my thoughts on what I consider to be the "best" as well as "only at WDW" restaurants.

Best food:
  • bluezoo
  • Il Mulino
  • Shula's (But I am not really a steakhouse guy. I find the whole "22 ounce ribeye with a baked potato and creamed spinach" formula too boring. When I pay $$$ to dine out, I want to see what the kitchen is really capable of. Any 20 year old can grill a great steak if the establishment buys prime meat and has a blazing cooking surface. I want to test the kitchen's finesse.)
  • Citrico's
  • Victoria and Albert's
Now, none of those places passes my "only at WDW test". Still, I try to dine at one or more of these each time I am at WDW, sometimes as a way to "reset" my palate from some lesser meals.

My best "only at WDW" list includes:
  • California Grill. Earlier iterations made my "best food" list, but several rounds of changes dropped this place below the places I listed above. Still, on a good night, it comes close. And the view and the location inside the Contemporary make this a "must do" for us every single time. My wife (before she was my wife) and I dined here the first week they were open and it has always held a special place in our hearts. Hopefully there won't be any further drop-offs that would stain our memory of the place.
  • 50's Prime Time. Disney is all about immersion and nowhere else can you get so immersed in atmosphere and human interaction. And to be honest, the fried chicken is pretty good. Food options at "MGM/ now DHS/ soon to be Who Knows What" are not great, so this place draws us in more often than not.
  • CRT. I am internally conflicted about this one. I have had meals that left me shaking my head and paid bills that left me shaking my fist. But it's in the Castle for crying out loud and when you have a daughter who wants to feel like a princess and eat in the darned castle, then you eat in the darned castle. It is an experience that simply cannot be replicated. Anywhere.
  • Be Our Guest. Somewhat of the same principle as CRT only with a lower (much) price tag and frankly, better food.
  • Jiko. This one comes very close to making the "best" list. And the AK Lodge is such a magnificent place, coupled with a walk around the grounds to see some animals afterward, and you get a combined experience that simply cannot be found anywhere else this side of Africa.
  • Skipper's Canteen. Kitchy. Tongue-in-cheek. Not your usual menu. Like 50's PT, this place transports you out of the real world and immerses you in WDW which is what you came for.
  • A quick word about table service dining in Epcot. Many would argue that these places, by definition, should make the "only at WDW" list. Unfortunately, I find almost all of them so lacking that I just can't get excited about them and for the most part, skip them altogether. With the current exception of Via Napoli which we enjoy mostly because we can get a fine meal at a decent price (comparatively speaking), we don't go to any of the restaurants there. Chefs de France isn't "French" enough". San Angel is a hot mess. Biergarten is fun, but no one else in my family enjoys it as much as me, so I don't press the issue. I've actually had pretty good luck at Nine Dragons, but I don't go to WDW to order what I get at my local take-out place. So all in all, while many consider Epcot to be the culinary hub of WDW, it doesn't work that way for me.
Some places that I haven't tried that may very well make on of the lists above in the future:
  • Flying Fish. I have dined here a lot prior to the makeover. I can't place it on any list until I try it again, which I will in April. From my research, it is a candidate for the "best" list.
  • Paddlefish. Again, trying this in April. The Empress Room in the Empress Lily was great. Fulton's was not. I am hoping that Paddlefish will rise to the level that will place it on my "only at WDW" list.
  • Capa.
Hope some of this helps.

The only TS we eat at more than once are:

Tiffins - this is our favorite signature. The food is good, the service is good, the atmosphere is good. Added bonus, Nomad Lounge is great.
Spice Road Tables - I'm not a big meal eater so the small plates are perfect for a light lunch. You rarely need an ADR during the day, the service is good and even if you are getting a meal and not a small plate, the food is good. The atmosphere isn't anything wonderful although it's not bad.
HBD Lounge - I'm a sucker to a Cobb Salad and a glass of wine, we love that you can walk up, you sit outside so can watch the people and if you time it right the Star Wars show.

There may be a few places we have eaten at more than once but years apart, we like to try different places and different experiences so we always try to eat somewhere new. We don't make ADRs in advance, we just get on MDE during the day and either decide on a time or a park or a resort and go from there.

Victoria and Alberts was by far once of the best eating experiences we had at at WDW but it's not somewhere we would eat at every trip or even every year, maybe once every 5 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter