The Best World of Color Viewing Spots

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
This question is asked frequently on this forum. Some posters get frustrated by the responses given because there is such a wide range of opinion and so many variables. Other posters get scared away by others who have had a negative experience. My intent here is to cut through all of this, explain some of the nuances, and give some practical advice.

Before I get started let me point out that this thread is not an FAQ on World of Color. I have already written that thread and here is a link to the World of Color Superthread. As discussed in the Superthread you need a FASTPASS or dining reservation in order to see World of Color.

Also before I get started let me say that I am not a World of Color expert - as in having seen WOC 25 times from every conceivable viewing area. I have seen WOC from all color sections, up close, far away and in between. There is room for debate on viewing areas and I hope other responders to this thread post their opinions. :)

World of Color has three color sections (blue, yellow and red) plus the preferred dining section (often given a green or light blue color on charts). People often ask which section is best.

It is critical to understand that every section has good viewing spots and every section has poor viewing spots. Hence a good viewing spot in any color section is better than a poor one in a different section.

So the whole question of which color section is best is really not a good question. A better question is which are the best viewing spots within each color section. In general there is no reason to try extra hard to get into any particular color section. What is much more important is how early you show up to get in line before the show - coupled with knowledge of which spots are good.

Further, there is some debate even among knowledgable DISers over what viewing spots are truly best. Some people like to risk the wet zones so they can be up close. Others like to be further back to take in the whole show. Others still like to only have to wait the minimum amount of time in line and just want to get a decent spot with a minimal wait.

I am far from an expert but have had the benefit of having seen WOC from all four sections both up front and at the back. Moreover on one night I saw WOC twice - once from the very, very front of the red section dead center, and then later from the very back of the blue section by the "fire hydrant". Both views were excellent but gave you a very different feeling - almost like you were seeing two different shows.

The front of the red section felt immersive and overwhelming. Almost like you were inside the show. The back of the blue section felt like you could take in the whole show at once. It was much more all encompassing. Each section allowed you to see effects that could be easily missed or underappreciated or just plain appeared different from the other section. That night more than anything convinced me how much the viewing spot affects one's experience with World of Color.

Of all the times I have seen World of Color my favorite was the front of the preferred dining. I talked about it in my WOC review. It was close to center and it was up higher than the spots down below but still close to the front.

So what are the best viewing spots?

The viewing chart shown below identifies what I think are the best viewing spots. Note that if you cannot get to one of these spots then get to a front rail in your section. Most front rails are elevated above people in front of you.

The wet zones down front really mean "potential wet zones" and not "probably or certainly wet zones". I have seen the show in the wet zone four times and got only a little mist on me - except for once when I got quite damp. Depending on the wind you can get wet though.

If you have a chance you should try the front dead center wet zone in the red section. It is marked with green stars in the picture below. When the CMs allow guests into the Red area, many avoid the wet zone and it is not too hard to get a spot down there - as long as you are lined up early enough. Be aware though that other than the front rail spots the red section is probably the worst section overall.

If you have a preferred dining section reservation then go straight down to the elevated rail there and that spot is my favorite as I mentioned.

The blue section fire hydrant is a great spot and it is not that hard to get that spot. Kids can see from here too. This spot allows you to better take in the entire scope of the show.

The bridge in the blue section offers good views from a further back perspective. The blue section probably has the highest percentage of good viewing spots. Although yellow is close. Red has the lowest number of good viewing spots. But the best spot in red is probably better than the best in either blue or yellow.

In general any section where you can get to a front rail with minimal fixed obstructions are good bets. Note that in some viewing spots there are light fixtures in front of you.

Be aware that the only way you can avoid having someone tall move in front of you or lift a small child onto their shoulders and block your view is to be at the front at the rail and on the water. Anywhere further back can potentially be blocked at the last minute by other guests.

Here is another idea for first timers. Print out this thread and map - preferably in color - and take it with you to DLR. Then do what we did before we saw World of Color the first time. We went down to the viewing area in the middle of the day when it was empty of people and checked it out. Further, I took my kids down there and explained to them what to expect that night as far as crowds and scope of show.

In summary there is no best color section from which to see World Color. Some sections have a higher percentage of good spots than others. Some sections are easier to get to a good spot - even if you show up a little late. All sections have poor spots. To get a good viewing spot for World of Color you should be aware of the best spot areas within each color section and show up early so you can be one of the first into a good spot.

:wizard:

full

Last edited:

Excellent analysis yet again! I have seen WoC from ONLY blue but from 4 VERY different parts of blue (1 pretty up close, 1 a little off to the side, 1 from just to the left of that yellow fire hydrant, and 1 on the bridge). It's totally true. The show is perceived so very differently from each spot. I look forward to seeing it from the preferred dining section next weekend! :goodvibes:

It's totally lame that they shut down the California Screamin' during the WoC.

Anyway, I'd be more interested to know how bad the crowds get after the WoC show is over? I'd rather have a quick exit than a great viewing seat.

Thanks HydroGuy! Great post. I look forward to seeing WOC next month. I have my map printed and ready to take with me.

Thanks HydroGuy! We are thrilled to be seeing WOC in less than two weeks! :cool1: We have bought picnics and will discuss our plan for spots and back-up spots :woohoo: based on what we have ready :flower3:

We saw WOC from the Blue zone and weren't behind a rail, but on the stairs behind the preferred dining section. Just in front of us were the ropes for the back of the preferred dining section. At 5'1'', the little boost was such a help. The preferred dining section wasn't crowded at all, so there was a pretty big gap between us and them, which added to our great view.

These threads are such a huge help for those of us who like to plan ahead and get an idea of what we're in for. Thanks HydroGuy! And everyone else willing to share their tips! :thumbsup2

I have seen WOC twice from the front rail of the preferred dining section. I am hesitant to try another spot for fear that it wouldn't be as good. We will probably go that route this summer again.

Excellent analysis yet again! I have seen WoC from ONLY blue but from 4 VERY different parts of blue (1 pretty up close, 1 a little off to the side, 1 from just to the left of that yellow fire hydrant, and 1 on the bridge). It's totally true. The show is perceived so very differently from each spot. I look forward to seeing it from the preferred dining section next weekend! :goodvibes:
I am curious as to what you think of the PD area. Do report back! :)

We watched it from the blue section by the bridge. When we go back on may, we will stick to our little spot since we really liked it. :thumbsup2

It's close enough to capture the details, we didn't get wet & nobody blocked our view which is very important since we have young children.

Great post Hydroguy (as usual), there is a daily question on this board regarding WoC's best viewing spots. This will help everyone! ;)

Thanks HydroGuy! We are thrilled to be seeing WOC in less than two weeks! :cool1: We have bought picnics and will discuss our plan for spots and back-up spots :woohoo: based on what we have ready :flower3:

Well we watched from centre, front rail of the yellow wet zone...we LOVED LOVED LOVED being there and felt a part of the show! We didn't really get wet, maybe a misted a few times :)

Uploading the video and will post it which will show the view from here :banana:

Saw WOC for the first time last week and loved it. Viewed from the front of the second tier in the red section. We started to leave as the CMs started taking down the ropes in order to avoid the crowd, and ended up near the planter closer to the pier boardwalk to watch the rest of the show. This leads to my question. Could you sit/stand there for the entire show? The view was good, and a fast pass wouldn't be needed to sit/stand there. I'm talking about the circular planter with the tall red tower in the middle. I was thinking it would be a good place for small children to stand, and not have to be held, and not be on anyone's shoulders, blocking the view of the people in back of them.

Does anyone have any thoughts about good viewing spots for someone in a wheelchair? I know there are handicappee areas in each zone, but is one zone better than the others? Will there be people standing in front of the wheelchairs blocking their view?

Does anyone have any thoughts about good viewing spots for someone in a wheelchair? I know there are handicappee areas in each zone, but is one zone better than the others? Will there be people standing in front of the wheelchairs blocking their view?

Saw WOC for the first time last week and loved it. Viewed from the front of the second tier in the red section. We started to leave as the CMs started taking down the ropes in order to avoid the crowd, and ended up near the planter closer to the pier boardwalk to watch the rest of the show. This leads to my question. Could you sit/stand there for the entire show? The view was good, and a fast pass wouldn't be needed to sit/stand there. I'm talking about the circular planter with the tall red tower in the middle. I was thinking it would be a good place for small children to stand, and not have to be held, and not be on anyone's shoulders, blocking the view of the people in back of them.
Usually the areas kept open for walking do not allow people to stop and watch a show. If they did and there was a need to get someone out quickly maybe for health reasons, it would be blocked. Maybe Albort knows?

As usual Hydroguy, your posts seem to be very beneficial to all of us! I've been printing and subscribing to your threads since we started planning our DLR trip about 2 months ago. THANK YOU!!! :cool1:

We're going the 3rd week in June, attending WOC on the last AP day before the summer blockout dates seem to really kick in. DH is going to call here in a couple weeks to make reservations for PD (and our little girl's character breakfast). I've heard the front rail and the steps in the PD are good areas, but I'm trying to figure out what's best for our 2 year old DD. DH can put her on his shoulders, if needed, but we always have tried to think about those around us. Children on shoulders (while we understand why it happens), almost always blocks someone's view.

I guess what I'm asking is where would be a good spot for someone who is of average height (he's 5' 10") to hold a small girl in the PD area? :confused: How early do we have to get there? (We ALWAYS go to the late Fantasmic at HS in WDW because we refuse to stand in line for 3 hours. So much more to do!)

Thank you! To Hydroguy AND to all the other helpful Disneyland posters. So many changes have been made since we went in 2001 and I went back in the 80s. I can't wait to start the tradition up with my little DD. :banana:

Are there table service and picnic lunches that give you the same preferred viewing spot for WOC? Or are they different viewing locations?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter