The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Yep pretty much wasn't allowed to talk about it as the fiance is an invester in the show. He went on tonight which is good. At least he is eligible for the Tony since he won the Olivier Award. Of corse tons of awards in London doesn't equate to success here (Enron I'm looking at you) but I am hopefule the American reviews will be positive.
Did you ever see Enron? I was actually planning a trip to see it before I found out I was expecting DS #2. I am obsessed with the Enron scandal. If you saw it, how did you like it???

Did you ever see Enron? I was actually planning a trip to see it before I found out I was expecting DS #2. I am obsessed with the Enron scandal. If you saw it, how did you like it???

Yes I saw the closing night performance actually. I liked it but saw why it was hard on the American audience. It was kind of out there (akin to American psycho last season) and used the metaphors literally where they were in Raptor costumes at one point haha. The real reason i think it didn't work here was that it jsut hit way to close to home. As a Houstonian who watched a lot of friends parents and my city suffer over Enron I squirmed in my seat a little bit at the comedy aspects of it. My fiance loved it and had no issues. Of course he also loved American Psycho haha.

Yes I saw the closing night performance actually. I liked it but saw why it was hard on the American audience. It was kind of out there (akin to American psycho last season) and used the metaphors literally where they were in Raptor costumes at one point haha. The real reason i think it didn't work here was that it jsut hit way to close to home. As a Houstonian who watched a lot of friends parents and my city suffer over Enron I squirmed in my seat a little bit at the comedy aspects of it. My fiance loved it and had no issues. Of course he also loved American Psycho haha.
Thank you for the review. I am hoping someone new me will actually do the show. There are a couple of theater companies in the Sacramento area who will do off beat shows. Maybe if I drop enough hints someone will. I figured it probably hit too close to home. Also since the financial industry collapsing and getting bailed out in 2008, I am sure that most people didn't want to hear about it on stage. I heard about the scandal in my Econ class in college and didn't believe my teacher. I read "The Smartest Guys in the Room", and I have been obsessed ever since. Even my husband has gotten into it a bit. :lmao:

Spent a few days in NYC and just had to rave about Hamilton, and Hello Dolly starring Bette Midler and David Hyde Pierce!

I rarely feel that ANYTHING that is insanely hyped is worth the hype, but I have to make an exception wrt Hamilton. It really was fantastic, and I am glad that we'll have another chance to see it at the Kennedy Center next year. Reminds me of a show like Les Miz, in the sense that I could imagine seeing it MANY times with MANY casts and enjoying it.

While my DD10 knew the songs, I did not -- was all a surprise, basically. The King was a highlight... hilarious lyrics!

And what can one say about Bette Midler and David Hyde Pierce? Perfection!! :)

Last edited:
For those of you that have already seen Hello Dolly! - Be honest - did you feel Bette was too old for the part? I know Barbra was too "young" in the movie, but I'm afraid to be disappointed, since I do love the score. I'm almost debating waiting to see Donna Murphy. Is that crazy?

Another 71 year old actress might be too old for the part, but Bette Midler was believable in the role and did a great job. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I'm sure Donna Murphy will do well too.

Don't know if you've already seen it, @SingingMom, but I just saw Hello Dolly! and I doubt you'll be disappointed -- agree with @RedAngie ! DH almost passed out when I told him after the show how old Bette is -- you would NEVER guess it -- truly. She was fantastic, and David Hyde Pierce is HILARIOUS! It was DH and I, and DD10 and DS12, and we all loved it. Such a classic show, beautiful sets, costumes, etc.

Last edited:
Not me, but DS lives in NYC and gets free tickets to Broadway musicals (the perks of being a musician, maybe). This week he's seen "Cats" and "Book of Mormons".

Not me, but DS lives in NYC and gets free tickets to Broadway musicals (the perks of being a musician, maybe). This week he's seen "Cats" and "Book of Mormons".

If he plays in pits then that's probably how. It is all about who you know though not an automatic. I use to get them for being an overly friendly Barista in the Theater district haha.

If he plays in pits then that's probably how. It is all about who you know though not an automatic. I use to get them for being an overly friendly Barista in the Theater district haha.

DS hasn't been lucky enough to play in the pits himself, but he has several friends that do, so that helps him get tickets.

I rarely feel that ANYTHING that is insanely hyped is worth the hype, but I have to make an exception wrt Hamilton. It really was fantastic, and I am glad that we'll have another chance to see it at the Kennedy Center next year. Reminds me of a show like Les Miz, in the sense that I could imagine seeing it MANY times with MANY casts and enjoying it.

I'm in California and won the Hamilton Lucky Seat Lottery last month for the San Francisco show. I wasn't that familiar with Hamilton before I went, but I was completely blown away. I loved it - definitely worth the $10 I paid for my second row seat...LOL

I'm in California and won the Hamilton Lucky Seat Lottery last month for the San Francisco show. I wasn't that familiar with Hamilton before I went, but I was completely blown away. I loved it - definitely worth the $10 I paid for my second row seat...LOL
:rotfl: Indeed! I actually paid regular price for the Hamilton tickets via an AMEX ticket sale -- no crazy resale markup. I was stunned when I received the email and jumped right on it, as the week prior I had been looking and couldn't find tix under $800 each... for the "BAD" seats!

Saw Hello, Dolly! last night and it was one of the best performances I've ever seen. Holy heck. Bette Midler loves Dolly so much, she's just having the time of her life up there. The ensemble sounds great, the sets are lovely and the costumes are simply. stunning. Not really a "standing o in the middle of the performance" girl, but I jumped to my feet after the title number alongside the rest of the audience.

Last edited:
Saw Hello, Dolly! last night and it was one of the best performances I've ever seen. Holy heck. Bette Middler loves Dolly so much, she's just having the time of her life up there. The ensemble sounds great, the sets are lovely and the costumes are simply. stunning. Not really a "standing o in the middle of the performance" girl, but I jumped to my feet after the title number alongside the rest of the audience.
Ditto all of this! :)

Just purchased tickets for October to see Anastasia! This was one of DD's favorite movies as a child. She's flying home for the weekend and there will be seven of us going together! Can't wait!

:rotfl: Indeed! I actually paid regular price for the Hamilton tickets via an AMEX ticket sale -- no crazy resale markup. I was stunned when I received the email and jumped right on it, as the week prior I had been looking and couldn't find tix under $800 each... for the "BAD" seats!

Believe me, I know how very lucky I was to win those tickets. A friend of mine just posted that he won yesterday and will go to the show tonight. Technically my husband won our tickets so I am still entering the lottery every day in hopes to go again. I really want to take my 10 year old daughter. She loves the music and it has sparked an interest in theater and american history that makes me so happy!

I might subject myself to Hamilton for $10.

I might subject myself to Hamilton for $10.

Gee, what a problem you have! Our son just called with a dilemma, too. He was planning to see "Amelie" tomorrow night with free tickets he got from his friend who works there, but then he won tickets to see "Book of Mormons", which he just saw last week.

Gee, what a problem you have! Our son just called with a dilemma, too. He was planning to see "Amelie" tomorrow night with free tickets he got from his friend who works there, but then he won tickets to see "Book of Mormons", which he just saw last week.
Oh not me. Someone else won the tickets. Oh your poor son! LOL Which show is he seeing?

Well, since he got the tickets to "Amelie" from his good friend who's a musician in the show, he kind of feels obligated to go to that one.

I've had to watch my spending a bit after coming back from a WONDERFUL Easter trip to WDW, but I have managed to see Pacific Overtures and Groundhog Day.

It was my first time seeing PO, and I know things were cut to make it run 90 minutes, but I really liked it. I've found the music (especially the opening number) keeps popping into my head. Cast is excellent - although the direction is a little messy at times.

Saw Groundhog last Thursday and although it was a little slow getting started, I ended up absolutely loving it. They did have to stop for a few minutes in act two, due to some technical issues with the set, but it was fixed very quickly. Glad to see it got some recognition with the TONY nominations yesterday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter