The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

@L&Lfan

As promised I saw Oklahoma tonight and coming back to report my impressions.

Overall I enjoyed the show,

I thought Ali was better live then on the Tonys. I found the overall production pretty good. I found it so interesting to see how a show this old interpreted in such a way, and with out changing any of the words/lyrics.

For full discourse I have not seen a professional production of this show before, but am familiar with the story.

All that said I did find 1 or 2 things a bit over the top, or way out of place. I don’t want to spoil anything so I won’t mention them.

The chili was good, but it was a bit gimmicky but hey it tasted good!

Saw Tootsie last week. OMG! What an hysterical show! Once again won lottery tx (and my sister did as well, a few days later, so seems like they may be fairly easy to win).

I had previously seen Lilli Cooper in Spongebob but I don’t remember being so drawn to her phenomenal voice! (I do remember thinking that she looked a little “seasoned” to be playing Sandy, who I always imagined as a 20 year old counterpart to Spongebob). She was incredible, as were the actors portraying Michael, his BFF Julie, his roomie and the show director. All around fabulous production that I would highly recommend.

As a personal side note, extremely impressed with the diversity casting of the ensemble.

See Moulin Rouge last night, last preview!

Fun show, and I loved the cast, but I’m really interested to hear what the reviews are.

See Moulin Rouge last night, last preview!

Fun show, and I loved the cast, but I’m really interested to hear what the reviews are.

Yup, opening was last night and some reviews are out. Check out the NY Times. We saw the show in Boston last year and are seeing it again this Nov. on Broadway - loved it!

Can anyone tell me how far in advance the preview tickets to a new show go on sale?
Dying to see Music Man with Sutton Foster, the website says, previews begin Sept. 9th. We will be there the 25-27.
TIA

Can anyone tell me how far in advance the preview tickets to a new show go on sale?
Dying to see Music Man with Sutton Foster, the website says, previews begin Sept. 9th. We will be there the 25-27.
TIA

You are aware that is September 9, 2020, right?

Yup, opening was last night and some reviews are out. Check out the NY Times. We saw the show in Boston last year and are seeing it again this Nov. on Broadway - loved it!
Reviews seem all over the place from love to not love.

Reviews seem all over the place from love to not love.

I've seen three so far - mostly very positive. The main criticism I've seen is that it's more "show" than story. (Which I don't have a problem with. I'm sure Les Mis is still up the street somewhere for those that want heavy drama.) Who didn't seem to like it? I'm really interested to read those reviews. Thanks.

I've seen three so far - mostly very positive. The main criticism I've seen is that it's more "show" than story. (Which I don't have a problem with. I'm sure Les Mis is still up the street somewhere for those that want heavy drama.) Who didn't seem to like it? I'm really interested to read those reviews. Thanks.

Well they are going to need to cross the pond to see Les Mis but I get your point.

Here is one negative review https://www.amny.com/entertainment/moulin-rouge-review-1.34264501

I have seen them all over the map, I liked it but I am not surprised by the range of reviews on the slightest.

Well they are going to need to cross the pond to see Les Mis but I get your point.

Here is one negative review https://www.amny.com/entertainment/moulin-rouge-review-1.34264501

I have seen them all over the map, I liked it but I am not surprised by the range of reviews on the slightest.

Lol about Les Mis - I'm surprised it isn't playing off Broadway though. I had the impression it was always somewhere in the city.

Thanks for the link!

Just read the review and wow was that harsh! Sometimes I wonder if it isn't enough just to have a good time at a show, but then I guess there would be no need for critics!!

Last edited:
Lol about Les Mis - I'm surprised it isn't playing off Broadway though. I had the impression it was always somewhere in the city.

Thanks for the link!

Just read the review and wow was that harsh! Sometimes I wonder if it isn't enough just to have a good time at a show, but then I guess there would be no need for critics!!

I wish it was always playing its one of my favs!

Yes it is way harsh, and i think i bit extreme, but when i saw it the day before opening i had a feeling i would see at least one review like this.... Some people have no interest in just a good fun show!

I have to say i was actually surprised how positive Ben Branrteys review was https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/theater/moulin-rouge-review.html

Ouch!!!! That was harsh! Sounds like my inner monologue is writing theater reviews... :rolleyes1

Agreed, very HARSH, and if thats your inner monologue in daily life we can probably be good friends!

I wish it was always playing its one of my favs!

Yes it is way harsh, and i think i bit extreme, but when i saw it the day before opening i had a feeling i would see at least one review like this.... Some people have no interest in just a good fun show!

I have to say i was actually surprised how positive Ben Branrteys review was https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/theater/moulin-rouge-review.html

Agreed, very HARSH, and if thats your inner monologue in daily life we can probably be good friends!
We probably could. :lovestruc I'm so critical with my theater, but I am TRYING to be nicer. Not always working, but I am trying! :lmao:

Finally, finally, FINALLY saw Come From Away last week. I cried during the sad parts, during the happy parts, and quite a few times when it hit me that I was finally seeing it, lol. (I cry a lot anyway, so....) I got into the soundtrack over a year ago, and it just really had a huge impact on me.

What an incredible show! I was disappointed that I didn't get to see Jenn Colella perform, but that just gives me an excuse to go again. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter