• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Andrew Lloyd Webber YouTube Channel To Offer Free Musicals During COVID-19 Pandemic:

https://deadline.com/2020/04/andrew...musicals-during-covid-19-pandemic-1202899092/

"Musical-loving social distancers can get their Andrew Lloyd Webber fixes with a new YouTube channel devoted to the composer’s work. The free channel, called The Shows Must Go On, will unspool a different ALW filmed musical ever Friday, starting with this week’s debut offering Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
The 2000 adaptation of the musical stars Donny Osmond, Maria Friedman, Richard Attenborough and Joan Collins.​
Next up, airing on Good Friday, April 10, will be Jesus Christ Superstar, a 2012 arena production starring Tim Minchin, Melanie C and Chris Moyles.​
Each musical will be available weekly at 11 a.m. PT/2 p.m. ET for a 48-hour period online. No charges or sign-up is required, but viewers who wish to make a charitable donation are directed toward such organizations as Acting for Others, Broadway Cares and Actors Benevolent Fund.​
Additional musicals will be announced, but in an introduction video on the channel, Sir Andrew assures completists and the curious that his notorious flop By Jeeves will be on the roster."​

LINK to the YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdmPjhKMaXNNeCr1FjuMvag/videos

Thank you!

The sold-out, one-night-only benefit "Celebrating 25 Magical Years of Disney on Broadway" from last November, will be streamed at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, April 13, to raise money for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS' COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Fund.

You can watch the stream on ABC7NY.com and the websites of the ABC Owned Television Stations around the country. It will also be available on broadwaycares.org, youtube.com/BCEFA, facebook.com/BCEFA and Playbill.com.

Ryan McCartan of Broadway's "Frozen" will host the live stream from his family's basement. Throughout the evening, McCartan will remotely interview Disney on Broadway stars from their homes.

Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS' COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Fund, which is being administered by The Actors Fund, is helping those onstage, backstage and behind the scenes impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. As theaters remain dark, entertainment professionals are facing unprecedented health and financial challenges requiring immediate attention and support. More than 20 Broadway producers have offered a $1 million challenge and are matching every new donation to the fund dollar-for-dollar.

Donations can be made at broadwaycares.org/help2020.

The streamed show will feature performances by Jelani Alladin (Hercules), Sierra Boggess (The Little Mermaid, School of Rock - The Musical), Christian Borle (Little Shop of Horrors, Mary Poppins), Ashley Brown (Mary Poppins), Kerry Butler (Beetlejuice, Beauty and the Beast), Lauryn Ciardullo (Aladdin), Gavin Creel (Hello, Dolly!, Waitress), Merle Dandridge (Tarzan, Aida), Lindiwe Dlamini (The Lion King), Bongi Duma (The Lion King), Susan Egan (Beauty and the Beast), Andrew Barth Feldman (Dear Evan Hansen), Bradley Gibson (The Lion King), Whoopi Goldberg (TV's The View), Mandy Gonzalez (Hamilton, Aida), April Holloway (Aladdin), James Monroe Iglehart (Aladdin, Hamilton), Adam Jacobs (Aladdin), Ramona Keller (Hercules), Nina LaFarga (Frozen), Tamika Lawrence (Hercules, Come From Away), Norm Lewis (Once on This Island, The Little Mermaid), Kara Lindsay (Newsies, Beautiful - The Carole King Musical), Tshidi Manye (The Lion King), Sbusiso Ngema (The Lion King), Ashley Park (Mean Girls, Grand Horizons),

Adam Pascal (Rent), Krysta Rodriguez (Hercules), Michael James Scott (Aladdin), Sherie Rene Scott (The Little Mermaid), Kissy Simmons (The Lion King), Josh Strickland (Tarzan), Katie Terza (Aladdin), Marisha Wallace (Aladdin, Something Rotten!), Rema Webb (Hercules, The Lion King), Alton Fitzgerald White (The Lion King) and Syndee Winters (Hamilton, The Lion King).

The show also includes a much-anticipated, high-energy reunion of 18 Newsies from the show's Broadway and national touring productions, and a moving performance from Broadway Inspirational Voices.

"The event from last November was such an unforgettable evening of Disney on Broadway magic," Broadway Cares Executive Director Tom Viola said. "We are so grateful to all our friends at Disney Theatrical Productions for generously joining us in sharing this evening again, supporting our entertainment industry friends and colleagues who are out of work and facing serious health and personal challenges due to this devastating coronavirus pandemic."

Link: https://abc7ny.com/disney-theatrical-on-broadway-all-star-lineup-performances/6074959/

Just got word our tickets to Six are being refunded. Broadway shows canceled through 6/7 as of now. A friend who follows all things Broadway carefully thinks shows won't open until Labor Day at the earliest.

The Broadway League has just extended the cancellation of all Broadway shows through June 7th. (Possibly longer.) "Industry leaders widely expect the theaters to remain closed longer — many say that a best-case scenario is reopening following the July 4 weekend, and that it is possible that the industry will not reopen until after Labor Day. "

Just got word our tickets to Six are being refunded. Broadway shows canceled through 6/7 as of now. A friend who follows all things Broadway carefully thinks shows won't open until Labor Day at the earliest.

We were posting at the same time. :)

I hope that doesn't prove necessary, for many reasons.

Andrew Lloyd Webber YouTube Channel To Offer Free Musicals During COVID-19 Pandemic:

https://deadline.com/2020/04/andrew...musicals-during-covid-19-pandemic-1202899092/

"Musical-loving social distancers can get their Andrew Lloyd Webber fixes with a new YouTube channel devoted to the composer’s work. The free channel, called The Shows Must Go On, will unspool a different ALW filmed musical ever Friday, starting with this week’s debut offering Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
The 2000 adaptation of the musical stars Donny Osmond, Maria Friedman, Richard Attenborough and Joan Collins.​
Next up, airing on Good Friday, April 10, will be Jesus Christ Superstar, a 2012 arena production starring Tim Minchin, Melanie C and Chris Moyles.​
Each musical will be available weekly at 11 a.m. PT/2 p.m. ET for a 48-hour period online. No charges or sign-up is required, but viewers who wish to make a charitable donation are directed toward such organizations as Acting for Others, Broadway Cares and Actors Benevolent Fund.​
Additional musicals will be announced, but in an introduction video on the channel, Sir Andrew assures completists and the curious that his notorious flop By Jeeves will be on the roster."​

LINK to the YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdmPjhKMaXNNeCr1FjuMvag/videos

Here's the link to a British production of Jesus Christ Superstar done in an arena. The show stars Tim Minchin (Judas,) Ben Forster (Jesus,) and Melanie Chisholm (Mary Magdalene.) :hippie:

Remember it's up for only 48 hours.

The John Legend, Sara Bareilles production of JCS will air on NBC on Easter Sunday at 7pm ET. 📺

Last edited:
Here's the link to a British production of Jesus Christ Superstar done in an arena. The show stars Tim Minchin (Judas,) Ben Forster (Jesus,) and Melanie Chisholm (Mary Magdalene.) :hippie:

Remember it's up for only 48 hours.

I just finished watching this production. :music: I highly, HIGHLY recommend it. I was pleasantly surprised. JCS is one of my favorite musicals and I am very fussy about how I like the production staged. Maybe because I prefer the way I saw it the first time, with the cast dressed up more traditionally, as during Jesus' time. I never cared for the productions that did it very 70s style. Probably because that was kind of before my time, and it seems out of place to suddenly burst into the 70s style stuff. (Yes, I know it was a rock musical written in the 70s so it was contemporary to them.)

This production was updated to today's era, with contemporary clothing and high tech technology references. And Jesus, instead of being really ethereal, and other-worldly, was quite down to earth, with an urban street sense to him. I found the staging interesting and kept me wondering how they were going to do the next part. Again, definitely worth watching. :thumbsup2

I see PBS’ Great Performances is rebroadcasting Kinky Boots, The Sound of Music and probably some others this month. Check your local listings.

My YouTube suggestions popped this video up:

Bring Him Home performed by former cast members of Les Mis: Alfie Boe, Alistair Brammer, John Owen-Jones, David Shannon, Ramin Karimloo, Rob Houchen and Fra Fee, all performing with the Barricade Boys. This is to support the NHS, (National Health Service, the publicly-funded healthcare system of the United Kingdom)to get people to stay home.

Phantom of the Opera is this weekend. :yay:

Starring Ramin Karimloo, Sierra Boggess and Hadley Fraser in a production at the Royal Albert Hall in 2011.

Teaser:

The show becomes available tomorrow at 2 p.m. ET / 11 a.m. PT for only a 48-hour period online.

Link:

Last edited:
I see PBS’ Great Performances is rebroadcasting Kinky Boots, The Sound of Music and probably some others this month. Check your local listings.

The London Kinky Boots production that PBS airs is phenomenal! DVR it, because you'll want to watch it again and again.
That Matt Henry.

And if you've never seen Cyndi Lauper's Tony acceptance speech, Google it up right now. It's the most sincere acceptance speech I've ever seen.

Phantom of the Opera is this weekend. :yay:

Starring Ramin Karimloo, Sierra Boggess and Hadley Fraser in a production at the Royal Albert Hall in 2011.

Teaser:

The show becomes available tomorrow at 2 p.m. ET / 11 a.m. PT for only a 48-hour period online.

Link:

Just finished watching! Great production. Loved the ending with the former Phantoms and Sarah Brightman.

Shakespeare in the Park, at the Delacourt Theatre in Central Park has been officially canceled this summer. :(

I really enjoyed Disney on Broadway 25 years! Ryan McCartan hosted the prerecorded show that took place last year, and he interviewed participants in their homes recently.

I really enjoyed Disney on Broadway 25 years! Ryan McCartan hosted the prerecorded show that took place last year, and he interviewed participants in their homes recently.

It was a great show, I enjoyed it so much.
I have been lucky enough to have seen several of these talented people sing live through the years.
Whether on stage, at EPCOT or on Disney Cruise Line. :love:

Me too! We have thoroughly enjoyed Festival of the Arts at Epcot. That includes this February when we saw Kara Lindsey and Kevin Massey!

We were there in February and got to see Michael James Scott & Syndee Winters.
That was our last getaway before this nightmare started.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter