The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

This weekend's Andrew Lloyd Webber free show is a sequel to, The Phantom of The Opera. I never knew there was such a show. :confused3 It's called, Love Never Dies, and stars Ben Lewis as The Phantom and Anna O'Byrne as Christine.

Starts at 2pm ET / 11am PT for 48 hours. (Again, if you install a YouTube add-on/plug in for downloading YouTube videos, you can keep it on your computer, for personal viewing, to watch later. I still haven't gotten around to watching last week's Phantom yet.)

This show is a guilty pleasure of mine. It is terrible, but it has some great over done music. I love jamming to this soundtrack while running errands. Love Never Dies kills my voice EVERY TIME!!!

Anyone watching the live youtube streaming of Stephen Sondheim's birthday celebration? Had some technical difficulties getting started, but it's finally up and running. I am tuned in, excited, and locked in. Love his musicals!

I have seen the show and did not care for it at all.
Denise

I watched it today and I have to agree with you. What a sad and depressing (and strange) storyline. I did like the theme song but that was about it. I loved Phantom last week. Wish I had been able to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat the other week.

I got the Broadway HD trial so I could see the Jesus Christ Superstar that people had discussed.

I had to think about the actress playing Mary Magdalene because she looked familiar and then I realized it was Spice Girl Mel C. I thought she was incredible. I really liked her take on I Don't Know How to Love Him because she’s coming from a position of strength. Sometimes the actresses playing Mary make it sound kind of wimpy. Like you don’t believe they would ever have been in control.

The actor playing Judas was amazing, but that’s a really good role. I thought the actor playing Jesus was just OK. His voice wasn’t nearly as strong. Simon did not seem like much of a zealot, that character really should have more of an edge.

I thought there were some unusual directing choices. I don’t have an issue with the modern staging in the modern clothing, but the laptops and sell phones I thought were a little bit of an issue in a musical for one of the lines is “Israel in 4 BC had no mass communication.” I also thought having Jesus’s last line, be really strong and powerful was also an odd choice. He’s dying there. I’m not sure the actor set a line with more force in the whole show them that one. I thought the staging of Herod's segment was just OK, and thought Pontius Pilate was way too angry. In general, I would say I did not like it as much as the 2000 version from the revival. And, the 73 film with the most incredible Carl Anderson remains my favorite.

Anyone watching the live youtube streaming of Stephen Sondheim's birthday celebration? Had some technical difficulties getting started, but it's finally up and running. I am tuned in, excited, and locked in. Love his musicals!

I watched it on YouTube this morning and it was really good!

This weekend's Andrew Lloyd Webber free show is a sequel to, The Phantom of The Opera. I never knew there was such a show. :confused3 It's called, Love Never Dies, and stars Ben Lewis as The Phantom and Anna O'Byrne as Christine.

We had it on our Broadway subscription package last year - couldn't stand it. It was brutal and both my wife and I found ourselves bouncing between falling asleep and laughing at the idiocy of the whole storyline.

Speaking of our subscription, we just got an e-mail about our missed shows (to date). So far, we've missed Jesus Christ Superstar and My Fair Lady. They just announced that they've rescheduled them for Summer 2021, so at least we get to see the shows, eventually.

Still waiting to hear about Dear Evan Hansen (supposed to be at our theater at the end of May), but I'm not hopeful. REALLY hoping they reschedule and don't cancel. My kids were already bummed about missing Spongebob. JCS was rescheduled to September, so at least we still have that ticket!

I just remembered, there will be a new streaming service: Broadway On Demand, that will launch some time in May:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/broadway-demand-streaming-service-launch-may-1290615

"Amid the pandemic, the performing arts field continues to offer new experiences.​
The Broadway on Demand membership-based streaming service, set to launch next month, will offer a library of educational and interactive resources in addition to on-demand content, live-captured Broadway shows, exclusive performances and backstage access to masterclasses.​
The streaming events will kick off with "30 Days of Opening Nights," a benefit concert to be live-streamed from Hollywood's Bourbon Room in accordance with social distancing guidelines and policies. The event will raise funds for entertainers affected by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), including playwrights, musicians, composers and theater personnel.​
The programming schedule for the benefit concert will be revealed shortly, and viewing will be available through Broadway on Demand's free membership. A premium subscription for a monthly fee will provide access to additional content.​
"Broadway is a giant global brand, and its impact extends far beyond a few blocks in midtown Manhattan," Broadway on Demand's president-CEO Sean Cercone said Thursday in a statement. "Even before our current crisis, we’ve long dreamt of building a platform that would truly fulfill Broadway’s long-held promise of being the ‘longest street in the world.’ This platform is our way of breaking down geographical and economic barriers so that the entire world can partake in all the wonders that Broadway has to offer."​
The Broadway on Demand streaming service is set to launch in May. Updates will be posted here."​

I really enjoyed it, especially, of course, Ladies Who Lunch. And it is incredible to me that Bernadette Peters is 72!

This weekend's Andrew Lloyd Webber free show is: "Andrew Lloyd Webber's Royal Albert Hall Celebration" from 1999. Only up till Sunday, 2pm ET.

Music List:
Whistle Down The Wind - 02:26
Any Dream Will Do - 06:55
Close Every Door - 10:03
Variations - 13:45
Requiem For Evita - 20:26
Oh What a Circus - 23:16
High Flying Adored - 29:14
Don’t Cry For Me Argentina - 32:02
There’s A Light At The End of The Tunnel - 38:03
Hosanna - 42:03
Pie Jesu - 46:55
Superstar - 51:33
Gethsemane - 55:48
The Phantom Of The Opera - 1:01:22
All I Ask Of You - 1:07:42
Music Of The Night - 1:13:18
Tyre Tracks and Broken Hearts - 1:18:31
No Matter What - 1:23:36
The Vaults Of Heaven - 1:27:42
Once Upon A Time - 1:31:32
With One Look - 1:35:32
As If We Never Said Goodbye - 1:39:23
Love Changes Everything - 1:44:48
Memory - 1:48:26
The Heart Is Slow To Learn - 1:55:16
Whistle Down The Wind - 2:00:58
The Jellicle Ball - 2:04:46

Here it is. It's still on YouTube:

0:18 Stephen Schwartz - "Prologue" (Follies)
3:28 Broadway Musicians - "Overture" (Merrily We Roll Along)
8:47 Sutton Foster - "There Won't Be Trumpets" (Anyone Can Whistle)
12:47 Neil Patrick Harris - "The Witch's Rap" (Into the Woods)
16:26 Kelli O'Hara - "What More Do I Need?" (Saturday Night)
19:56 Judy Kuhn - "What Can You Lose?" (Dick Tracy)
23:53 Katrina Lenk - "Johanna" (Sweeney Todd)
27:11 Aaron Tveit - "Marry Me a Little" (Company)
32:58 Beanie Feldstein & Ben Platt - "It Takes Two" (Into the Woods)
36:25 Brandon Uranowitz - "With So Little to Be Sure Of" (Anyone Can Whistle)
41:04 Melissa Errico - "Children and Art" (Sunday in the Park with George)
46:20 Randy Rainbow - "By the Sea" (Sweeney Todd)
49:21 Elizabeth Stanley - "The Miller's Son" (A Little Night Music)
54:21 Mandy Pantinkin - "Lesson #8" (Sunday in the Park with George)
59:05 Maria Friedman - "Broadway Baby" (Follies)
1:02:36 Lin-Manuel Miranda - "Giants in the Sky" (Into the Woods)
1:05:46 Lea Salonga - "Loving You" (Passion)
1:08:28 Laura Benanti - "I Remember" (Evening Primrose)
1:14:06 Chip Zien - "No More" (Into the Woods)
1:19:27 Josh Groban - "Children Will Listen/Not While I'm Around" (Into the Woods/Sweeney Todd)
1:25:13 Brian Stokes Mitchell - "The Flag Song" (Assassins)
1:28:04 Michael Cerveris - "Finishing the Hat" (Sunday in the Park with George)
1:33:28 Linda Lavin - "The Boy From..." (The Mad Show)
1:37:10 Alexander Gemignani - "Buddy's Blues" (Follies)
1:41:08 Ann Harada, Austin Ku, Kelvin Moon Loh & Thom Sesma - "Someone in a Tree" (Pacific Overtures)
1:50:59 Raúl Esparza - "Take Me to the World" (Evening Primrose)
1:53:55 Donna Murphy - "Send in the Clowns" (A Little Night Music)
1:58:47 Christine Baranski, Meryl Streep & Audra McDonald - "The Ladies Who Lunch" (Company)
2:03:31 Annaleigh Ashford & Jake Gyllenhaal - "Move On" (Sunday in the Park with George)
2:08:14 Patti LuPone - "Anyone Can Whistle" (Anyone Can Whistle)
2:11:46 Bernadette Peters - "No One Is Alone" (Into the Woods)
2:17:49 Ensemble - "I'm Still Here" (Follies)

Some good news for Broadway actor, Nick Cordero:

"On Friday, May 1, doctors successfully took Cordero off a ventilator and inserted a breathing tube.​
"We have been trying to do this for Nick for so many weeks now and it just kept getting stalled and pushed back because of his health and now he was finally healthy enough today to get the trach and the ventilator is out," Kloots shared on Instagram Stories.​
She continued, "This is just amazing news because we really needed this to happen to get him off that ventilator...I think he will be feeling better, even subconsciously feeling better. I hope this is just a great sign for some good recovery days ahead and for him to wake up and just have that pressure relief from his throat. Thank God."​

And some bad news:

"(CNN) Broadway actor Nick Cordero is continuing to fight after contracting Covid-19, his wife says.​
On Thursday Amanda Kloots posted an update about her husband's condition on her Instagram Stories.​
Kloots said it was good news that, even with a low blood count, tests showed her 41-year-old husband was not bleeding internally. Yet on another front the news was not great.​
"However, we did learn that due to COVID Nick's lungs are severely damaged," she said. "To look almost like he's been a smoker for 50 years they said. They are that damaged."​
She went on to say there are "holes in his lungs where obviously you don't want holes to be."​
Kloots has been posting about her Tony-nominated actor husband who she has said is hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles."​

Here it is. It's still on YouTube:

0:18 Stephen Schwartz - "Prologue" (Follies)
3:28 Broadway Musicians - "Overture" (Merrily We Roll Along)
8:47 Sutton Foster - "There Won't Be Trumpets" (Anyone Can Whistle)
12:47 Neil Patrick Harris - "The Witch's Rap" (Into the Woods)
16:26 Kelli O'Hara - "What More Do I Need?" (Saturday Night)
19:56 Judy Kuhn - "What Can You Lose?" (Dick Tracy)
23:53 Katrina Lenk - "Johanna" (Sweeney Todd)
27:11 Aaron Tveit - "Marry Me a Little" (Company)
32:58 Beanie Feldstein & Ben Platt - "It Takes Two" (Into the Woods)
36:25 Brandon Uranowitz - "With So Little to Be Sure Of" (Anyone Can Whistle)
41:04 Melissa Errico - "Children and Art" (Sunday in the Park with George)
46:20 Randy Rainbow - "By the Sea" (Sweeney Todd)
49:21 Elizabeth Stanley - "The Miller's Son" (A Little Night Music)
54:21 Mandy Pantinkin - "Lesson #8" (Sunday in the Park with George)
59:05 Maria Friedman - "Broadway Baby" (Follies)
1:02:36 Lin-Manuel Miranda - "Giants in the Sky" (Into the Woods)
1:05:46 Lea Salonga - "Loving You" (Passion)
1:08:28 Laura Benanti - "I Remember" (Evening Primrose)
1:14:06 Chip Zien - "No More" (Into the Woods)
1:19:27 Josh Groban - "Children Will Listen/Not While I'm Around" (Into the Woods/Sweeney Todd)
1:25:13 Brian Stokes Mitchell - "The Flag Song" (Assassins)
1:28:04 Michael Cerveris - "Finishing the Hat" (Sunday in the Park with George)
1:33:28 Linda Lavin - "The Boy From..." (The Mad Show)
1:37:10 Alexander Gemignani - "Buddy's Blues" (Follies)
1:41:08 Ann Harada, Austin Ku, Kelvin Moon Loh & Thom Sesma - "Someone in a Tree" (Pacific Overtures)
1:50:59 Raúl Esparza - "Take Me to the World" (Evening Primrose)
1:53:55 Donna Murphy - "Send in the Clowns" (A Little Night Music)
1:58:47 Christine Baranski, Meryl Streep & Audra McDonald - "The Ladies Who Lunch" (Company)
2:03:31 Annaleigh Ashford & Jake Gyllenhaal - "Move On" (Sunday in the Park with George)
2:08:14 Patti LuPone - "Anyone Can Whistle" (Anyone Can Whistle)
2:11:46 Bernadette Peters - "No One Is Alone" (Into the Woods)
2:17:49 Ensemble - "I'm Still Here" (Follies)

Thank you for this list! We watched this last night and were mesmerized yet again by the beauty of Sondheim's music and the profundity and humor of his lyrics. Moved us to tears over and over.

Last edited:
Late to this thread, so sorry if this has been asked. Has anyone watched the original version of Chess on youtube? I saw it live a few years ago and it was amazing. But I don't know if that was true to the original version. Should I invest the 2 and half hours on it?

Late to this thread, so sorry if this has been asked. Has anyone watched the original version of Chess on youtube? I saw it live a few years ago and it was amazing. But I don't know if that was true to the original version. Should I invest the 2 and half hours on it?

That looks like such a badly shot video. Someone shot it in the balcony and didn't even have a tripod to set the camera on.

If you simply love the music so much, maybe don't bother trying to compare it to the original production. Here is compilation on YouTube of Chess as a Concert, in 16 video clips, pieced together. Tim Rice introduces it. It's with Josh Groban, Adam Pascal, Idina Menzel, so it's well sung.

Start the video, then click on the YouTube link at the bottom right to get to the rest of the videos in order. They are titled "Checkers," but it definitely is the Chess concert.

I'd watch this just for the chance to hear Judy Kuhn! Elaine Page originated that role in London (which I was so fortunate to see!), so a young Judy Kuhn got a great break when the show came to Broadway.

The original wasn't nearly as good as the London rewrite, which wasn't nearly as good (IMO) as the concert version that was done in '09 with Josh Groban and Adam Pascal. I performed Chess in Concert last year and it really is an amazing piece of music, but the book leaves quite a bit to be desired.

The original wasn't nearly as good as the London rewrite, which wasn't nearly as good (IMO) as the concert version that was done in '09 with Josh Groban and Adam Pascal. I performed Chess in Concert last year and it really is an amazing piece of music, but the book leaves quite a bit to be desired.
Thanks. The version I saw was from maybe 2016ish? It was fantastic. I had wanted to see it since it first came out, but was never able to. I've always loved all of the music, though. Maybe I should just keep my memories of the version I saw and not 'taint' it with other versions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter