The Day the Mickey Died II - Saving Mr. Panic Attack *update 10/2*

I am so excited! :hyper: I LOVED your first TR you posted but by the time I found it you were already done. That was a sad day! Now I get to follow along! You have me cracking up at work...luckily I am in my own office & don't have to explain to people why I can't stop giggling in front of my computer ;) Can't wait to read more!

Subbing! been giggling in my office this afternoon!
That pal Mickey sure is troublesome, huh? :lmao:

Arriving in Orlando

I believe it was 19th century English biologist John Lubbock who said “What we see depends mainly on what we look for”………or am I thinking about John Locke, survivor of Oceanic Flight 815…….who was marooned on a deserted island…..miraculously cured of paralysis……totally obsessed about opening a metal hatch…….magicially transported off the island after turning a frozen wheel…..talked out of strangling himself by Ben Linus……strangled by Ben Linus…..transported by coffin on a plane that crashed on the same deserted island as before…….and was eventually resurrected and possessed by the Man in Black……..I think……..unless he was dead the whole time.

I always get those two mixed up.

Anyway, I think it’s important to set goals for yourself. Goals are what give you direction in life.......and they boost your motivation. I had set a multitude of different goals for our WDW vacation.......489 goals to be exact. My first goal had been to land in Orlando without being tasered during the flight as a result of Pal Mickey’s antics.

Well, you can't win them all........but, on the brighter side, my ears had stopped ringing, my vision had cleared, and I was beginning to remember my name again.

When we had first used the Disney Magical Express on our maiden voyage to WDW many moons ago, we had absolutely no idea what we were doing. Our flight landed…….they herded us onto some type of a glass transport......and we were expelled out into the main terminal......where we emerged rubbing our eyes and turning slowly in circles as we realized we had absolutely no idea where we were going.

Finally, Tinkershell walked over to a gift shop to ask directions to DME. Obviously, I couldn't ask directions.....because that would have violated the sacred vow that all males take when they reach the age of majority. However, I was allowed to linger behind her and eavesdrop without risking the dispossession of my man card.

The girl behind the counter was helpful enough to tell us the buses were “over there” and she accompanied that little nugget of vague information with a general sweep of her arm that easily included 60% the airport. I had been hoping for something a bit more specific like........"the buses are in this general area right in here, below the stereo but to this side of the bicentennial glasses........somewhere between the ashtrays and the thimbles........somewhere in this three inches right in here........in this area that includes the chicklets but not the erasers."

To assure we never have this type of problem again, I have constructed an exact replica of the Orlando International airport in our basement……..on a smaller scale. For training purposes, we have assigned each member of the family one of the little plastic people from our old Candyland board game. Unfortunately, we only have 4 pieces……so for Pal Mickey, we used a peanut m&m.

In the months leading up to our trip, we try to run as many different scenarios as we can think of to make sure that we are ready for anything. We even trained for the possibility that the stairs might be blocked and we’d have to rappel down an empty elevator shaft. Everybody made it except Pal Mickey……..because all this training had made me hungry......and I had at some point eaten his m&m.

No Panic Attack gets left behind!.......unless they're a fresh roasted peanut covered in delicious milk chocolate inside a colorful candy shell.

Anyway, thanks to proper planning, we were all safely on the DME bus. Next stop…..(drumroll)......POFQ.

What’s that? Oh, right…….next stop…..Saratoga Springs……and then.....(drumroll)......POFQ

Ok fine, next stop Saratoga Springs……then Old Key West……..and then......(drumroll).....POFQ

Our kids need to work on their photography skills. Tinkershell looks good though.....and that guy in the background

My one desire on the DME ride was to snap a picture of the Walt Disney World sign that spans the highway. It’s not too much to ask really. On our last trip, I missed out on the picture because there was some 5 year old Casanova onboard who was putting the moves on DD Woobie. He kept poking his head around his seat and batting his baby blues at her. Well, I don’t care if he was only five……..the rules clearly state that all potential suitors must submit an application packet…….which includes fingerprints and a hair sample………and a single-spaced three-page essay explaining their career goals and aspirations.

When I explained this to his parents, they must have wanted to discuss it in private........because they got up and moved to a different part of the bus.

Well, this time I was poised and ready. There was no distraction on heaven or on earth that was going to keep me from getting that picture. I was in the zone.......totally focused.......right up until the moment I decided to snap a picture of Donald Duck on the little television above my seat.

Here’s the picture I took just an instant before we drove by the WDW sign

Sadly, it takes a moment for my camera to be ready to take the next picture. The newer cameras might be better. I still use the kind that looks like a wooden box on stilts.......and you have to duck under a curtain while holding up a tray of flash powder.

Anyway, I spent the remainder of the trip circulating a petition asking for the driver to loop the bus around and give me another shot at it. I collected no signatures.......not even Pal Mickey.

Well, it's like the old saying goes: "time flies when you're circulating a petition" and, before I knew it, we had arrived at our resort.

We claim this resort for the Panic Attacks

Looks like it's about time to break out the Tinkershell's non-negotiable itinerary and get this party started.

Next Up: Fireworks and a parade

I have read several trip reports where the mom has to sit with the kids and the dad gets to sit by himself, and they are usually tinged with a little bitterness. This is the first time where the dad feels like he is missing out on fun by not sitting with his family. Very refreshing. :)

Now that they're grown up, Tinkershell and I fight over the kids. Not so much when they were still in diapers.

I can't believe pal mickey is still alive and kicking! :)

He says he gets better with age. But, that's not true.

Mini vans still exist? :confused3 What is this ancient mode of transportation you speak of???

It has a surprisingly comfortable ride considering it uses steel-rimmed wooden wagon wheels.

Oh, my gosh, where have your trip reports been all my life? (I actually am one of those who in fact has perused the perimeter for eyes peeping through closed blinds, carrying an empty Kroger bag, deliberately bending down to pick up air. Sad, but true... Confession is good for the soul. ) I'm in. Write on!

Welcome SusieBea. The "fake plastic baggie" is a classic.....and highly effective if performed correctly.

Very entertaining report, thanks! Joining in.

Now to go back to read your first report....

Thanks Backstage_Gal. I hope everybody will go back and read my other report......it will buy me some time between posts.

I'm following along Mr. Panic-Attack. Great report!

Thank you Glennbo. Now, we need to locate Hucifer and get her involved.

I am so excited! :hyper: I LOVED your first TR you posted but by the time I found it you were already done. That was a sad day! Now I get to follow along! You have me cracking up at work...luckily I am in my own office & don't have to explain to people why I can't stop giggling in front of my computer ;) Can't wait to read more!

Thanks HomeSweetDisney. You might start wishing this one was already done when you have to wait between posts. I'm a little slow sometimes.

Subbing! been giggling in my office this afternoon!
That pal Mickey sure is troublesome, huh? :lmao:

Welcome VBelle68. "Troublesome" is not the word I was thinking of. The word I was thinking of........I can't say because there's preschool toys present.

I love the application process for your DD's potential suitors. I may have to steal it from you. Of course my DD is only 10 and boys are still gross right now but it pays to think ahead!

Pal Mickey sounds like a handful but kind of want one now. I wonder if I could find any on E-bay or Amazon.

I just started reading this TR and have had to explain to my husband TWICE why I was giggling. After reading excerpts he was laughing as well.
Looking forward to reading the rest.

Fireworks and a parade

We love Disney World…….maybe a little too much.

At this point, our love for WDW is like the affection you get from your faithful pooch…..sitting by the door and wagging his tail wildly as you pull in the driveway at the end of a hard day at work. It’s a pure, unadulterated, wholesome type of love that is a joy to behold. However, we are currently teetering precariously on the extreme edge of this particular type of love………and it wouldn’t take too much to push us over the line.

If you cross the line, you find yourself in a type of love that makes phone calls all day long, leaving creepy messages………and sits for hours in a dark car parked at the curb across from your house………and typically ends in a restraining order.

That’s why I’m always a little nervous at resort check-in. After giving the CM our info, I’m hoping that they don’t start clacking away at their computer…….stop…….turn a little pale……..ask me if I can excuse them for a moment…….and then pick up the red phone.

I’ve never seen the red phone. But, I’m pretty sure it’s there………probably tucked under the counter…….right next to an industrial strength electric taser.

The kids waiting expectantly for a loud zapping noise and the lights to flicker

Tinkershell’s non-negotiable itinerary had us dropping off our carry-on luggage in our room and then heading to MK for the Saturday evenings parade and fireworks. We were on the dining plan, so we thought we’d grab a quick counter service meal at Casey’s Corner and then maybe hit a few rides before we needed to start setting up the sand bags and razor wire that are necessary to hold our prime position next to the ropes along the parade route.

When we arrived at our room, we were welcomed by a couple of surprises. First, Mousekeeping had left us a towel animal on the bed. I took this as a good sign. We’ve checked into a hotel room before and found a horse head in the bed…….and that was a bad sign. It meant that Pal Mickey had blown his cover again…….and that the Witness Protection Program was going to need to find us a new house.

Fyi……not my fault. I warned Pal Mickey not to takes sides against the family.

Anyway, our second surprise was finding a message blinking on our hotel room phone. Apparently, the big guy, Mickey Mouse himself, had gotten wind of the fact that DD Woobie was celebrating a birthday…….and he wanted to wish her well. It does my heart good to see a big time celebrity who hasn’t let all the glitz and glamour go to his head. It's not always that way. On our last trip, Goofy walked by us like he didn't even know us.

Tinkershell was so thrilled about the message that she re-played it and video-taped it for posterity. Here’s a funny little nugget about Tinkershell. When she decides to video-tape a telephone message and save it forever.....and before you ask, she does it a lot.......she always points the video camera at the telephone the whole time. Mind you, all she’s trying to do is to capture the audio……..and the family is all frolicking and gallivanting in it's usual entertaining fashion in the background. So, is it really necessary to have 45 seconds of video of an inanimate telephone sitting on a bedside table?

Well, that’s a good question.

Obviously it’s an authentic towel animal…….because I wouldn’t have the technical expertise to build one myself. Unfortunately, DS is blocking the telephone......because it's fascinating to watch. I'll have to show you some video sometime.

After Tinkershell had finished up filming some riveting footage of the room’s air conditioner and shower curtain, we grabbed our park tickets and some light sweatshirts and headed for the park. We also considered taking a warm Kermit cap that we had brought from home for Woobie.

Are you kidding me, It’s going to be toasty warm tonight.…….this is Florida.

First trip to the bus stop......Woobie's already starting to zip up. Hmmmm, there is a little chill in the air.

Next Up: Fireworks and a parade......for real this time.

I love the application process for your DD's potential suitors. I may have to steal it from you. Of course my DD is only 10 and boys are still gross right now but it pays to think ahead!

Pal Mickey sounds like a handful but kind of want one now. I wonder if I could find any on E-bay or Amazon.

I wish DD's would think boys were gross forever. I'd save a fortune on ammunition.

I'm pretty sure you can find anything on ebay......if you're willing to pay for it.

I just started reading this TR and have had to explain to my husband TWICE why I was giggling. After reading excerpts he was laughing as well.
Looking forward to reading the rest.

Welcome Ravens girl. It looks like you're celebrating your 25th anniversary. Tinkershell and I will have been married 25 years this August.......not to steal your thunder.

I found several versions of Pal Mickey on E-bay. One is your everyday run of the mill Mickey, one is dressed in a Scorcer Mickey outfit, and one is a super special limited edition Jungle Cruise themed Pal Mickey. The first two are 40 bucks. The last one 115.00 :eek: I think I'll stick with regular and take him shopping for clothes at the local Build a Bear.

Anywho, great update! I've never stayed at POFQ. I have stayed at POR but never made it to it's "sister resort" to go visit even though I swore I was going to go scarf down some beignets.

Thank you Glennbo. Now, we need to locate Hucifer and get her involved.

Yes, agreed. And according to her pre-trip report, (if we can believe that), she was supposed to take a trip to WDW this summer so she might have some meaningful info to contribute.

For what it's worth, I would've signed the petition you circulated on the DME bus. As long as I could've gotten off at my resort first and then sent you back around on your own time. ;)

Welcome Ravens girl. It looks like you're celebrating your 25th anniversary. Tinkershell and I will have been married 25 years this August.......not to steal your thunder.

Thanks for the welcome. Congratulations on your upcoming 25th. And no problem with the thunder stealing, we're supposed to get some more later this week.

We're out of town visiting family and I just discovered that they have the internet in PA too.

Who knew?

I found several versions of Pal Mickey on E-bay. One is your everyday run of the mill Mickey, one is dressed in a Scorcer Mickey outfit, and one is a super special limited edition Jungle Cruise themed Pal Mickey. The first two are 40 bucks. The last one 115.00 :eek: I think I'll stick with regular and take him shopping for clothes at the local Build a Bear.

Anywho, great update! I've never stayed at POFQ. I have stayed at POR but never made it to it's "sister resort" to go visit even though I swore I was going to go scarf down some beignets.

If I took Pal Mickey to Build a Bear, I'd buy him a flowered hat and call him Mrs. Nesbitt.

You've got to make the trip for the beignets........or "bag-nets" as Tinkershell called them. I'm getting hungry just typing about them.

Yes, agreed. And according to her pre-trip report, (if we can believe that), she was supposed to take a trip to WDW this summer so she might have some meaningful info to contribute.

For what it's worth, I would've signed the petition you circulated on the DME bus. As long as I could've gotten off at my resort first and then sent you back around on your own time. ;)

It's so annoying when people have a life outside of the disboards. She's been bugging me to write a TR for five years......and now she's awol.

Nobody on our bus asked me to modify my petition......but they did have a few suggestions for what I could do with it.

Thanks for the welcome. Congratulations on your upcoming 25th. And no problem with the thunder stealing, we're supposed to get some more later this week.

The amazing thing is how fast 25 years can fly by.

Fireworks and a parade......for real this time.

Everybody needs to have a happy place. Somewhere you can flee mentally for refuge when you’re sitting on the edge of a table covered in white, crinkly paper watching your doctor squirt liquid out of the end of a long needle while telling you’re about to experience “a slight pinch”……….or when you’re leaned back in the dentist chair waiting for your mouth to get numb and the lady in the room next to you is screaming like Faye Wray with two vines around her wrists about to be picked up by an enormous monkey ………..or when you’re locked in the trunk of a dark sedan with Pal Mickey being driving to a lonely waterfront where you’re about to be fitted with a pair of concrete trunks so that you can go swimming with the fishes.

My happy place is the WDW resort bus stops. Not 100% of the time mind you, sometimes my happy place involves me sitting at the end of a long dock on a beautiful lake…….except the dock is built entirely out of Bloomin Onion, that delicious aussi-tizer they serve you at the Outback Steakhouse that you can’t stop eating until you’re full and then you don’t have room for your entrée which you end up taking home in a box even though you know it’s not going to be nearly as good the next day for leftovers……..and the lake is filled with their spicy signature dipping sauce……..lapping gently at your toes.

Anyway, most of the time it’s the bus stops. I can’t help it. I just love that time sitting together as a family……joking around…… waiting for a bus to whisk you off to a Disney Park. Does life get any better? I submit that it does not.

As we were waiting, I did notice something odd. At this point in the early evening, we had our resort bus stop to ourselves…….except for one young couple. Is it just me, or had I seen this exact same couple waiting at the gate at our hometown airport for our plane to depart? Doesn’t it seem a little strange that we would all get on the same plane…….travel thousands of miles……..end up at the same WDW resort…….and be headed to the exact same park at the exact same time?

Well, I can be as paranoid as the next guy. Ok, that’s not true. According to my doctor, I am 100 times more likely to be more paranoid than the next guy. It has something to do with the fact that I lived under power lines as a kid.

That being said, I am almost positive that I saw Pal Mickey slip the guy a folded slip of paper when he passed their bench.

Normally under these circumstances, I would chloroform the young couple and stash them in some bushes so that they couldn’t follow us. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to take my chloroform on the plane…..because it violated the 3 ounce rule…..so it was in my checked luggage which DME hadn’t been delivered to our hotel room yet. So, I had no option but to board the bus with them. If they were following us, we’d just have to shake them in the park the old fashioned way……. by riding some unbearable awful attraction……..like IASW.

Because, nobody’s going to follow us onto IASW. Nobody.

Anyway, even when you have potentially picked up a sinister tail hired by a plush interactive doll about to do something unsavory to you because revenge is a dish served cold, is there anything better than the first time you step off you resort bus at a park on a brand new vacation?

Ok, that’s better. Ok, that’s better. Ok, that can be better……but only if prepared with milk instead of water.

It was such an awesome feeling to head for the entrance of MK. It’s typically been a couple of years since our last visit, but all the familiar sights and smells come flooding back as you walk from the bus stops towards the security tables down by Seven Seas Lagoon.

At the time of year we go, there’s usually a big sign set up about the Christmas party…..and Tinkershell’s got to get a picture in front of that. Then, we go through the turnstiles into the area with the big Mickey made out of flowers……and Tinkershell’s got to get a picture in front of that. Then, we go under the train tracks into the park……..and Tinkershell’s got to get a picture in front of everything else. I'm talking......literally.....everything else.

Back in the day before digital cameras, I at least used to get a break while she pulled one smoking roll of film out of the camera and loaded another. Now, she has a memory card that holds roughly 1.2 gigawatts worth of pictures so the fun never stops. Ever.

Let the pictures begin. DD Woob is still working through the lingering effects of Dramamine.......as contrasted with her brother.

As I believe I mentioned in one of my earlier ramblings, our plan was to use a counter service at Casey’s Corner. When we arrived there, we encountered a sea of humanity in line ahead of us. I’m not one of those people that stresses about the number of people at the parks. It is widely known that WDW has been the most visited amusement park in the world for like 811 years in a row. Before that, I believe the title belonged to an amusement park built by Genghis Khan after he invaded China and captured Peking.

I believe it was called Khan-land………either that or Genghis Studios Peking. I always get those two mixed up.

Under the circumstances, complaining about crowds at WDW is a bit like getting a table at Tavern on the Green and then being shocked that it’s expensive.

Anyway, as we were standing in line inside Caseys Corner, the CM’s all started singing “take me out to the ballgame” and throwing boxes of Cracker Jack into the crowd. My first thought was that it seemed incredibly dangerous to be throwing cardboard boxes with sharp corners randomly into a group of people who were not wearing protective eyewear. Just the other day, I was telling Tinkershell that one of the first things we learned back in college was about the modern proliferation of cardboard box eye injury claims against wealthy hot dog vendors. In fact, if one were so inclined, one could make quite a lucrative law practice with little else.

While all of this was going on, a random box of Cracker Jack arched in the air and landed right at Tinkershells feet. Coincidentally, at that same instant, a random, middle-aged woman was passing by the open doorway on the sidewalk outside. When this woman saw that particular box of Cracker Jack hit the floor by Tinkershell’s feet, she pulled up so quickly that her sneakers squealed.

The whole thing played out before me as if in slow motion. First, I saw the woman look down at the box……look up at Tinkershell…….and then look down at the box again. Then, Tinkershell looked at the woman…….glanced down at the box……and then looked back at the woman again. Next, the woman looked up, smiled shyly and kind of shrugged her shoulders…….and made a feigned step as if she was about to continue down the sidewalk.

That’s when she made her move.

She probably had eight feet to cover from the open doorway to the box at Tinkershell’s feet……but she came fast…….and she came hard. I cried "look out!" in that deep, drawn-out, slow-motion voice. But, I needn't have bothered. Not many people know this, but Tinkershell has a nasty competitive streak in her. Her younger brother tells a story from their childhood where Tinkershell was chasing him through the neighborhood because he got the little toy out of the cereal box. A toy she desperately wanted. It sounded terrifying. As he recounts the nightmarish experience, I swear I can almost hear her behind me, clutching at my collar......and feel her fingertips lightly brushing against the back of my neck.

Tinkershell had just enough time to stoop down and snatch up the box before the inevitable collision that was the result of the other lady's momentum. With one final covetous look at the Cracker Jack box clutched tightly in Tinkershell’s fist, the lady reached up, adjusted her Mickey ears and made her slightly less than dignified exit.

Funny thing, Tinkershell doesn’t even care for Cracker Jack. I believe I ate them during the parade.

Next up: Fireworks and a parade......this time for certain

It's so annoying when people have a life outside of the disboards. She's been bugging me to write a TR for five years......and now she's awol.

Yeah, yeah. I've been AWOL. But I'm here now, and that's all that really matters.

BTW, my trip is August 18-30. So I haven't left yet!

Okay, now on to this bad boy...

In my case, my little voice has a name. It’s my DW Tinkershell……and she’s relentless.
And she's my new best friend. Thanks Tinkershell!

I could fight it. But really, what’s the point. It’s like the old saying goes, “happy wife, happy life”……..or the slightly less popular version “unhappy wife, please…...somebody kill me……anybody.......please…..I’m begging you.”
My husband can relate.

Anyway, I believe it was Edward Teller who said "No endeavor that is worthwhile is simple in prospect; if it is right, it will be simple in retrospect".......or was that Edward Cullen, the undead protagonist of Twilight who sparkles in the sunlight while encouraging teenage daughters to perform unforgiveable acts......like lying to their fathers. I always get those two mixed up.
Is anything better than a Peter Panic Attack TR? I submit there is not.

I'm happy to see you have a TOC now. Yay.

Alright...on to the next installment...

However, if left untreated, the Disney bug can lead to blindness, paralysis, a complete shut-down of all vital organs, and in extreme cases……..a moderate headache and slight loss of appetite.
Yep, I got the bug too. Is there anything worse than a loss of appetite? I'll submit there is not.

Okay, I'll stop.

Here's a picture from our first family trip to DL. By the way, it's a long time ago and everybody was wearing jorts.......so don't judge me.
I'm assuming there's a hidden fanny pack in there somewhere. I'm trying very hard not to judge you people.

Without giving away too much of the story, let’s just say that the dog dies in the end……in a horrible, gut-wrenching fashion……when he’s shot with a rifle by the young boy who loves him.
That was the best scene!

The doctors concluded that the part of my brain that controls serious thought was underdeveloped.
I love that part.

Tinkershell would argue that the whole thing is underdeveloped.
Kind of goes without saying.

Originally, we planned on having 2.4 children because that’s the national average and I have a compulsion for conformity. Somewhere along the line, Tinkershell talked me out of the fractional third child.
It was conformity that got you into those jorts and fanny packs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter