The Day the Mickey Died II - Saving Mr. Panic Attack *update 10/2*

Day 2 – Magic Kingdom

I believe it was American poet and educator Henry W Longfellow who once wrote “every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad”………or was that British Hogwart’s student Neville Longbottom, whose Gran once sent him a remembrall but he could never remember what he’d forgotten…….and who later ended up on the business end of one of Hermione’s petrificus totalus curses when he tried to prevent her from sneaking out of the Gryffindor Common Room along with Ron and Harry…….because apparently “snitches get stitches” even in the wizarding world……..not to be confused with a golden snitch whose capture is worth 150 points and is the only way to end a game of Quidditch………or by mutual agreement of the two opposing team’s captains…….but that’s extremely rare.

I always get those two mixed up.

Anyway, the following morning when I had grabbed our trusty refillable mugs and headed in the direction of the Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory at POFQ, I was cold. And, I wasn’t cold because I was sad. I was cold because I was cold. Now, I know what you are thinking. “Yeah, it’s late November Einstein. If you wanted warmer weather, you should try vacationing when it’s not winter.”

Ok, fair enough. But, I have two comments to make: 1) we’ve been to WDW plenty of times before in late November and this was unusually cold and B) I don’t think we are properly honoring Einstein’s memory by constantly linking him to people’s stupid actions. Now granted, I was decked out for the day in shorts and a t-shirt and I could have chosen something a bit more suitable for a 50 degree morning…….like maybe thermal underwear and a parka.

But, in my defense, I didn’t.

Now, I love walking around POFQ in the early morning. But, I must say that the grounds on this particular morning were especially beautiful. Across the river that runs behind the resort, there was this cool mist hovering in the trees. It kind of reminded me of that Stephen King movie where the fog rolls in and envelopes a small east coast fishing town……except without the awful ending where the main character kills everybody he loves in a last-ditch, heroic effort to save them from the evil fog creatures…….only to find out that if he had waited literally 11 seconds longer that the mist just magically disappeared and the entire army rolled up in tanks to save the day.

And, then they all lived happily ever after.

When I arrived back at the hotel room with a couple of fresh, hot coffees, I started to tell Tinkershell about the mist and the unusually cold weather. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that she was incapable of communication until after she’d had her morning coffee. So, all I got in response to my efforts were some primitive, guttural sounds and a couple of short, stabbing motion with her arm in the direction of the hotel room table where she wanted me to set down the coffees. Seeing as the kids were preoccupied in various stages of getting ready for the day, I decided to take a moment to load up the old fanny pack.

That’s right, I said fanny pack……and I can hear you snickering in the back by the way. It’s just so darn functional, that’s the problem. I know, I know, people suggest a variety of alternatives, including fancy backpacks and European man purses. But, with my fanny pack, everything is right there. If I see the photographic shot of a lifetime, I can have my camera in my hand like Billy the Kid slapping iron back in the old wild western frontier. Plus, all of our park tickets are easily accessible when I need them at the fastpass machines……..and we all know that’s never going away.

As I finished packing up my sunscreen and lip balm, I could have sworn that…….out of the corner of my eye…….and I have extremely good peripheral vision because of my special eye condition that I’m sure you all read about in my first trip report…….I saw Pal Mickey monkeying around with my coffee. This was a real conundrum. Normally if I’m concerned about a potential poisoning situation, I get Pal Mickey to taste it first. Now, with Pal Mickey as the potential poisoner, I’d have to be a total Einstein to walk up and ask him to take a sip.

Anyway, Pal Mickey said he didn’t want a sip. If I recall, he gave some excuse about only drinking tea………or an occasional salted caramel mocha frappuccino. Now I had a difficult choice to make. On the one hand, drinking this cup of coffee might be a fatal mistake that could cost me my life. On the other hand, is a life without coffee really worth living? I decided it wasn’t. Besides, even if Pal Mickey was planning some dastardly payback for what happened to him before, he was no killer. He won’t even eat fruit that’s been picked. He waits until it has fallen from the tree……..and died of natural causes.

So I took a small sip………and then fell to the floor retching and clutching my throat. Don’t’ worry, it was a false alarm. Sometimes I do that. Because, if I fake it, I know I don’t have it. Like, when I think my heart is going stop. I fake it so I know it’s not happening. My family has witnessed me falling to the floor and clutching my chest so many times, they don’t even look up from the tv anymore.

If I can’t make it happen, I know it’s not happening. Then, I know it’s all in my mind.

Next up: MK rope drop

I have read a lot of great TRs before, but as far as narrative goes, this one is hands down the best! :thumbsup2

Your style of humor lines up perfectly with my idea of funny, and, of course, any reading about Walt Disney World is just awesome - unless of course, it was bad news about Disney (not that anything like that would ever happen).

Can't wait to read more, so write on! :cool1:

I have read a lot of great TRs before, but as far as narrative goes, this one is hands down the best! :thumbsup2

Your style of humor lines up perfectly with my idea of funny, and, of course, any reading about Walt Disney World is just awesome - unless of course, it was bad news about Disney (not that anything like that would ever happen).

Can't wait to read more, so write on! :cool1:

Thanks DisneyAndrew, I appreciate the feedback. I've finally gotten past my 60 day fastpass+ window so now I can start to concentrate on the TR again.

Funny update as always, thanks

But, brace yourself. According to a Disney Newsletter today................

Pal Mickey will be killed of within the next month. :scared:

Please go to MM+ for all your information needs henceforth.

OK, please dont kill the messenger!:duck:

Subbing.

Late to the game, but better late than never! Looks like it took you just over a month to complete day 1, so I'm not too late.

I enjoy your irreverent narrative style. You have a way with a metaphor. (or, as Groucho once said, "What's a meta for?" And if he didn't say it, he should have...)

Funny update as always, thanks

But, brace yourself. According to a Disney Newsletter today................

Pal Mickey will be killed of within the next month. :scared:

Please go to MM+ for all your information needs henceforth.

OK, please dont kill the messenger!:duck:

Of course, I’m not happy about the fact that they’re taking the infra-red locators out of the parks. But, you can’t hurt Pal Mickey……..because he isn’t about the…….the timesaving tips and the fun facts. That’s what Cindy Lou has been trying to tell everyone.

Wait, what? I think I'm confusing reality with "the Grinch" again.

Truth is……..I don’t need anything more from Pal Mickey than what I’ve already got. But, you’re in so much trouble for breaking the news Backstage_Gal. I mean, really, how could you?

Love this trip report! Can't wait for the next installment. Thanks for writing!
A.

Thanks, it's been awhile since I got my last letter grade. I'm guessing you're grading on a curve.

Subbing.

Late to the game, but better late than never! Looks like it took you just over a month to complete day 1, so I'm not too late.

I enjoy your irreverent narrative style. You have a way with a metaphor. (or, as Groucho once said, "What's a meta for?" And if he didn't say it, he should have...)

Thanks.........and nice Grouch Marx reference. That's extremely rare.

No, you're not late. Who knows how long this thing will drag on for. I am incapable of writing things ahead of time so I just have to wait for the mood to strike me.

Magic Kingdom Rope Drop

Sometimes in my life, tasks are assigned to me solely because I’m a dude. Considering the age of enlightenment that we presently live in, this seems wrong to me. Nevertheless, if there is a spider that requires squishing, I’m your man. If you’ve got a stubborn jar that requires opening, who ya gonna call? Well, let me give you a hint……it ain’t Ghost Busters. Unless of course, the jar just happens to contain a host of freaky ghosts. Then, you’re probably gonna want to call both of us. I’ll open the jar…….and then the Ghost Busters will step in with their cool, high-tech, 1980’s gadgets and suck up all the poltergeists………along with all glory by the way. In my opinion, we really ought to be splitting the fee 50/50. Unfortunately, their fancy-shmancy, high-priced lawyers in their expensive suits swept in and negotiated a 60/40 split……….because their clients are big-time, Hollywood movie stars and apparently I’m just a lowly jar opener.

But, I digress.

When we are in WDW, I’m also given the job of getting the family to the parks on time. Let me tell you, it’s a thankless job. There are times in the early morning……….as I’m stomping around the hotel room, banging pots together and booming “RISE AND SHINE MAGGOTS”……..that I wonder if it’s all worth it. I mean, it’s not like I don’t have better things to do with my morning rather than stripping all the blankets off the beds and dumping family members onto the floor. I could be reading a book……….or savoring a hot, delicious café latte. But no, all I get for my efforts……..as I’m standing at the sink and filling up another bucket full of icy, cold water…..are cranky looks and crabby mumblings.

Please, stop with the mumbling. You know how I feel about the mumbling. Blah blah blah blah blah blah, it’s very annoying! I’m just teasing. Don’t be so serious.

Anyway, Tinkershell’s non-negotiable itinerary had us scheduled to make rope drop at Magic Kingdom on this particular Sunday morning and we needed to get to the resort bus stop toot sweet. Normally, if I can get a family member up near the front moving in the right direction, then I can just fall in behind and keep an eye out for any stragglers. I’ve got to be especially careful when we cut through the POFQ lobby. Because, sometimes one of the herd……….err…….family might cut and run for the gift shop or maybe the food court. After that though, we’re home free………except for that one time where the car backfired and they all got spooked. Let me tell you, that was a mess.

Now, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a bit of a worry-wart when it comes to getting places on time. Ergo, throughout the morning, I had been checking the time and fretting that we were going to be late. In fact, I might have even voiced my concerns to the family a time or two. I’m not talking anything serious here. Maybe just the occasional comment like ““we are going to be late for rope drop”…….or maybe something like “I want you all to know, there’s pretty much no way that we’re going to make rope drop at this point”……..or I might have said “Well, I hope you’re all looking forward to 180 minute waits in all the lines today, because you can just kiss making rope drop buh-bye. As of right this instant, I am officially declaring that there is no possible way on heaven or on earth that we are ever going to make it. If this was a prize fight, I’d be yelling “no mas” and throwing in the towel. I can’t believe you’re all doing this to me when you know that being late kills me. It kills me I tell you! I came here for a nice vacation and now I’m being murdered by my family. Help! Police! I’m being murdered by my family!”

Anyway, all of these extremely minor outbursts made it a little awkward when we arrived at MK with plenty of time to spare. In fact, we probably waited 20 minutes before they even started the opening show. My kids decided to use that time to mock me without mercy. You see, they do this impersonation of me that is…….quite frankly……unflattering. They furrow their brows and put a crabby look on their faces, and then they cross their arms across their chest and speak in a deep, gravelly voice and say things like: “Oooh, I’m Dad and I think we’re never going to make it to the park on time” or “Oooh, I’m Dad and I think I have the world’s slowest family” or “Oooh, I’m Dad and I’m going to haunt my family as a ghost because they all murdered me.” You know, things like that.

Well, I’d like to say I learned a valuable lesson that day about relaxing and maybe being just a little bit more optimistic. Yup, that’s what I’d like to say.

What…….me worry?

They’re laughing at me……….so rude

All is forgiven

As I assume most of you know……..seeing as you’re on a WDW message board reading about a complete stranger’s past vacation……..Magic Kingdom has a little show that they do each morning in the Mickey flower head area outside the park before they officially drop the rope. Now, conventional touring wisdom would tell you to position yourself in front of one of the tunnels on the left or right side of this area so that you can make a mad dash to whichever attraction you have decided to ride first before it is overrun by the unwashed masses. However, in our case, the opening show just happens to be one of Tinkershell’s favorite things at the park…….and therefore we were positioned at center stage in breathless anticipation for the train to pull up with Mickey and his friends.

I made use of the time by making a couple of side wagers. I won $2 from DD Woobie when Tinkershell lifted her arm and pulled on an imaginary cord when she heard the first train whistle……another $2 from DS Buddy when Tinkershell made a pistoning motion with her arm like the wheels of the train as it pulled into the station…….and finally $5 from Pal Mickey when Tinkershell broke out her invisible microphone and started singing along with the “Good Morning” song. Unfortunately, Pal Mickey ended up stiffing me because he said he had left his wallet in the hotel room……..and we hadn’t set up his room key to allow him to make charges because he has a history of making bad financial choices.

After the music ended and they officially opened the park, we fell in behind the curly headed guy in the leather jacket who had been standing in front of us filming the whole show by hoisting his cell phone over his head like he was John Cusack holding up his boom box under Diane Court’s window in the movie “Say Anything” and started to pick our way towards the tunnels. It was slow going and we knew there were going to be a bunch of people ahead of us. But, the show had been worth it…….and as a bonus, I had an extra four bucks in my pocket……..and an IOU from Pal Mickey…….which wasn’t worth the paper it was written on.

Next up: Tinkershell wants a Feter Fan fastpass.

In all my years going to WDW, I think I've only seen the morning show once. Which is strange, because my mom is just like you. Many of our family vacations went something like
Mom: Get up, we need to get to the park
Me: It's va-CAY-shunnnn we should sleep in
Mom: Fine, then you can stand in the 2 hour line for Soarin.

I'm beginning to see some similarities here.....

Also, I notice that in your signature you'll be in the World again in November. So will we! Maybe we'll run into you. I promise not to do more than wave in passing, so as not to disrupt the Non-negotiable Itinerary.

Oh my gosh! It's a Peter Panic Attack update! :faint:

Love it! You certainly have a way with story-telling. :thumbsup2

Keep em' coming! (Quick before you go back to WDW next month and forget about us until your next NEXT trip is coming up...:eek:)

In all my years going to WDW, I think I've only seen the morning show once. Which is strange, because my mom is just like you. Many of our family vacations went something like
Mom: Get up, we need to get to the park
Me: It's va-CAY-shunnnn we should sleep in
Mom: Fine, then you can stand in the 2 hour line for Soarin.

I'm beginning to see some similarities here.....

Also, I notice that in your signature you'll be in the World again in November. So will we! Maybe we'll run into you. I promise not to do more than wave in passing, so as not to disrupt the Non-negotiable Itinerary.

Your mother sounds really smart…….just like me.
Yup, we are booked for 11/15-11/23 and can’t wait. We’re pretty easy to spot. We’ll be the only family in the parks……..if not the whole world…….hauling around a Pal Mickey.

Oh my gosh! It's a Peter Panic Attack update! :faint:

Love it! You certainly have a way with story-telling. :thumbsup2

Keep em' coming! (Quick before you go back to WDW next month and forget about us until your next NEXT trip is coming up...:eek:)

I know, I know. It’s all this FP + stuff for our upcoming trip. It’s totally distracting me.

OMG STOP the Presses..... I've found where SailorJack lurks when he's not on CruiseCritic!!! or are you just his long lost, and equally loquacious Brother?? :goodvibes You have a very similar style of elaborating your adventures. I love you, and your beautiful family, and thank you for sharing your vacation with us. I'm looking forward to ..... the rest of the story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter