The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

So this is a busy week. Friday night will find us at a 2Cellos concert. It was my christmas present. On Sunday, it will be my birthday.
On other fronts, I have accepted a new job. 3 years in my current one and things have gone from bad to worse. I am returning to a previous employer in a different capacity, will get my previous time back. I don't plan on changing our vacation plans and look forward to seeing everyone in May.

On a side note, any of the farming fellas have an good advice. Part of my new job will be creation of food plots for deer, turkey, etc.

Congrats - and good luck on the transition!

So - it appears I may be joining Tiggerdad in the 'homeless' category in the relatively near future. Our Suburban has been nickel and diming us for a while, and that nickel and diming is rapidly becoming much more than nickels and dimes. A rupture in our rear A/C lines and leaking head gaskets are presenting us with a repair bill of $3k+. With a 15 year old vehicle, we can't keep throwing money at it, and our stage of life with our kids getting into their teen years means we have the ability to camp less and less. With pick-ups being our only reasonable option for replacement (they haven't made 3/4 ton Suburbans since '06), our family of 5 with a dog would be pretty limited in how/where we could travel and camp. All in all, we just can't justify it all financially for what we'd be able to do. We are hoping to enjoy the camping trips we have planned for 2019, but will likely have our rig (and then our Suburban) up for sale by fall. It's been a disheartening couple of days coming to this conclusion, and we will sit on it for a few months before we put the final nail in the coffin, but I think this is the way we will end up going. My guess is that I am looking at least 8-10 years before we could even think of getting back into it as a couple. I will truly miss it!

Oh no! :earseek:

I understand what you're going through, mickeyfan0805. I just pulled the trigger and spent $1300 on my 14yo Suburban for an unexpected repair (new fuel pump, evap vent solenoid filter, evap purge valve, evap carbon canister). It all started about a week before our vacation this month started when I could not put in more than a gallon in a squeeze at one time. It made filling up on vacation a long experience. Perhaps, I thought initially, it was just the pump/station/conditions but it turned out I had a problem. Then a check engine type light came on the dashboard about 3 days into vacation. I made it through vacation but then had to have it diagnosed.

After vacation and before I took it in, I had been looking online with what things cost that were about 5yo and capable of pulling 5k at a minimum and the results were not very encouraging.

I survived the years of teens and less camping time. Basically we were left with spring break and Christmas holidays till they started college. I miss those days when they were young and we could up and go camp 4-5 times a year.

Maybe you'll consider renting a trailer at the Fort whenever your next visit comes onto the horizon.

I understand completely though. Sorry buddy.

Bama Ed

Oh no! :earseek:

Maybe you'll consider renting a trailer at the Fort whenever your next visit comes onto the horizon.

Bama Ed

No doubt! With DVC, some of our stays will continue to be in those resorts, but you know I caught the Fort bug! Be it cabins or a rented trailer, I will get the kids back to the Fort!

I think many of us have been through that. Kids sports, school commitments, work... It all cuts into camping time. It sounds like you still have an opportunity to get to the World and the Fort and a different camper will be there when you are ready.

j

So - it appears I may be joining Tiggerdad in the 'homeless' category in the relatively near future. Our Suburban has been nickel and diming us for a while, and that nickel and diming is rapidly becoming much more than nickels and dimes. A rupture in our rear A/C lines and leaking head gaskets are presenting us with a repair bill of $3k+. With a 15 year old vehicle, we can't keep throwing money at it, and our stage of life with our kids getting into their teen years means we have the ability to camp less and less. With pick-ups being our only reasonable option for replacement (they haven't made 3/4 ton Suburbans since '06), our family of 5 with a dog would be pretty limited in how/where we could travel and camp. All in all, we just can't justify it all financially for what we'd be able to do. We are hoping to enjoy the camping trips we have planned for 2019, but will likely have our rig (and then our Suburban) up for sale by fall. It's been a disheartening couple of days coming to this conclusion, and we will sit on it for a few months before we put the final nail in the coffin, but I think this is the way we will end up going. My guess is that I am looking at least 8-10 years before we could even think of getting back into it as a couple. I will truly miss it!

I absolutely feel your pain. I hate to hear it, but I know exactly how you feel. I am seriously considering putting the F-250 on the market once this outrageous interior fan repair bill hits me. I just posted the beginning work pics on my homeless page. I should of bought a Class A, no way the repair bills could of been as much as what I have spent on this truck on the TT I had. It makes me feel sick as well. I really want to keep it going while the kids are young and still want to go with us.

So - it appears I may be joining Tiggerdad in the 'homeless' category in the relatively near future.
So sorry to hear about this for you and the family. Buttt, hang in there.
A long story for a campfire, (unemployed at the age of 45) I can personally attest to the fact that sometimes the strangest things happen when you least expect them,
and put you right back where you need to be.
As others have said, there are the cabins and your still at The Fort. Fingers crossed everything works out.

It makes me feel sick as well. I really want to keep it going while the kids are young and still want to go with us.
Michael,

Hopefully the girls will enjoy camping and Disney as much as Ian. He still wants to do both with us and did through all of his teen/high school years.

j

DD is 21 and DS is 17 and neither one was too happy when we went by ourselves last September for our 30th anniversary (both in school). It was much easier when they were younger.
Of course the way the boy eats now, it will cost me a fortune to take him to Food and Wine Festival LOL

So a little bit of a warm up today, in the 50's. Working on loading up the camper for the season and trying to get some modifications done also. Last nights concert was good, the opener was funny, a fella from Indiana. Then main act, 2 Cellos, played for about 90 mins straight. Traffic getting out was not too bad once you got out of the parking lot. So a good start to a birthday weekend.
And of course only a week away from starting my new job, which comes with 10 hour days, but only 4 and I will always have 3 day weekends. :) The DW likes this idea, as she figures we can do more camping.....:dogdance:, yes the dog agrees with her.

So I needed to make a trip to Lowes for a project in the trailer. Ended up buying a storm door, and installed it this afternoon. Now to get back to my trailer projects, but the wind is picking up and it is supposed to rain tomorrow.

My trailer is still sitting in hibernation. I am going out camping in 2 weeks, but it has been raining all day and it is 41 degrees. I should get the cover off next weekend and I may bring it home. I bought a new battery and kitchen faucet for the camper. I also have a swing out TV mount I'm going to put in the basement. I need to check the brakes. I had to pull one drum off last year when I blew a tire and it took out the brake wiring. The pads looked a little thin, but I didn't note what size axles/brakes it has.

:bday: Chris. Hopefully you are having a good one. 2 Cellos is a great start.

j

which comes with 10 hour days, but only 4 and I will always have 3 day weekends.
I work 4 10's. Took a very short time to get used to. Fridays off is the bomb :thumbsup2.
Good luck with the new job

Last edited:
I need to check the brakes.
It's a little different for you, but I am very diplomatic when lending out my car trailer. Rental fee is $20 (which no one has complained about) and all the money goes into a slush fund.
It cost me $125 to put brake shoes on it. Hopefully yours are a little cheaper for you.

Ok so just throwing this out there( a bit late), you can get a smaller camper. Not the same i know. My pop up isnt bad, and was cheap. So you need a new vehicle anyway, get something that can tow a small pup, and hold the familly. Bring an extra tent anlong and you can still visit the fort.

We also did some RV work today. We went to storage and took out the rig. Dropped some stuff off and then took it for a spin. Had not been driven since Jan and not camping till GSP. Thought we better test run stuff. Put a load on the generator and took it for a spin for 45 minutes. All seems to be in working order. Now just need to update our trip to GSP. Plan was check in May 23 and out May 29. Due to bet’s schedule have to drive on Friday so will change to check in May 24 and check out june 1. We will work some that week but plan to hange our now till Saturday.

Yeah.

Gulf State Park, or just Gulf, or GSP is a state park down on the Alabama Gulf Coast. This will be the 4th annual GSP camping DISMeet. It traditionally occurs during Memorial Day week.

We typically start a thread on the community board after New Years to give us something to look forward to. It's a fairly relaxed, fun time.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/gulf-state-park-dis-meet-2019-episode-4.3727635/

This year we're expecting about a dozen DIS'sers.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter