The Everything Pooh Sized Thread

This is a great thread! I am plus size (now about 18/20) and have been for years. At one point I was a 32/34, and have been going to the parks and such the whole time.

As for shoes, I can never get away with sandals as my feet start to burn. I always wear tennis shoes...might be a little hotter but rather be warm then in pain!

Bags, well I don't have any children yet, so i get away with not having one at all. I carry my $, ID and cc in a plastic ziptop pouch I got when working at Disney (CM wear them) and attach it to a pull line carabeener. I love this thing!!! Then I just carry my phone, chapstick and meds if needed in my pocket. Water bottle in hand :) I hate carrying them because I always have a painful sore around my neck when I am done for the day.
I have heard good things about the Vera Bradley hipsters though!

I only wear bermuda shorts now in the parks, so the riding up thing is in the past. Plus I am more comfortable in something that is straight legged and cotton. I got a bunch of them from Lee and they fit great. I wear capris everywhere else on property.

Shirts - I can only wear t's that come to my elbow, as I don't want to show my upper arms (result of weight loss surgery and lots of sagging :scared1:)
Disney does carry sizes up to 3X now, but I personally hate regular t-shirts as they are always too big up top. I wear regular elbow length tees from wherever I can find them. I have a few Disney shirts, but not many and they are some of my least favs. I usually don't bring them on vacation at all.

Now, as for chaffing, the best thing I have found is Monoistat soothing chafing care gel. It is the best stuff! I wear it especially when I have a skirt/dress on as I hate to walk around a lot and it start to be painful. I got mine at Target, but I think you can find it almost anywhere.
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp139254_...t_soothing_care/chafing_relief_powder_gel.htm

Thanks for starting this thread, it is awesome!!! :goodvibes

I spent some time swimsuit shopping today. Kohl's had a good sale going on but hardly any plus size swimsuits. The ones they had looked horrible on. Blech.

Sears had a nice selection of plus size swimsuits but they had the same look horrible on issue.

I found that most of the swimsuits in the stores for plus size tankini tops have a wierd band under the breasts so it made the rest of of top stick way out over the stomach.

Hey stores - I want to minimize the stomach not enlarge it. :rotfl:

I'm going to have to wander thru the internet for a swimsuit. I went to all the brick/mortar stores in my area and they all had the banded tankini tops. I guess that's what popular right now.

Target had a huge selection of plus size sports bras. That's what I like to wear in the parks for a bra. They had some pretty colors too so I had to buy a couple.

I picked up a pair of basic black croc flip flops today and have already done the mile walk with my dog. They were like walking on air. I'll have to see how I feel in an hour though. :rotfl:

I have purchased my last two swimsuits thru Lands End, great fit and nice thickness of material. Looking to buy another one for this season.

I ordered a one-piece from Lands End and just received it! I wanted a one piece for the water parks. I ordered the Carmela slender suit and it fits great! It keeps the girls up there! It can be ordered in D and DD cup sizes. Their suits are a little expensive, but they last a long time, I've had one for 4 years and I still wear it. Lands End is having quite a few sales right now, sign up for their email and get discounts! (I just realized I sound like I work for Lands End, but I don't LOL!)

Hi everyone! Disney is a wonderful place for pooh sized folks. I am 18/20, my daughter was size 28 when we went in 2008. She wore her Rainbow flip flops (but she practically lives in those during the summer) I wore New Balance walking shoes. I carried an over body bag from Rosetti. My DD carried a Nike backpack, the kind with strings & very lightweight material....she was very comfortable with it.

She had to turn sideways to fit through the turnstiles at MK (we had read about those). The only ride problem we had was on Kali River Rapids. There are 2 seats together and the strap fits across both people. We tried to sit beside each other and the belt would not buckle...sadly the CM was yelling at us to buckle and we could not....needless to say it was not pleasant. So, if you want to ride it, then make sure you tell the person at the stand that you will need a seat just for you or just add one to the total in your party. It would also probably work if you had a small child to ride with. No problems at all on any other rides!

This is a great thread...Im so glad you started it. I have been out all weekend looking for a swimsuit but had no luck. Has anyone else tried on a swimsuit and left the shop totally depressed? Im dreading swimming this year..I have put on so much weight..I am 50 lbs heavier that last year and havnt had much luck in getting it off. I dont like those swimsuits either that have the foam Madonna ****ies in them or those that look like you are swimming in a mini dress...Im at such a loss right now...help!

This is a great thread...Im so glad you started it. I have been out all weekend looking for a swimsuit but had no luck. Has anyone else tried on a swimsuit and left the shop totally depressed? Im dreading swimming this year..I have put on so much weight..I am 50 lbs heavier that last year and havnt had much luck in getting it off. I dont like those swimsuits either that have the foam Madonna ****ies in them or those that look like you are swimming in a mini dress...Im at such a loss right now...help!

Just incase you are interested....I hate the swimdresses myself that look like long dresses/skirts. Walmart has a great suit right now for $30 that the skirt portion starts lower on the body and has a designed top with a "belted" center area in black and a straight black skirt. It is a great style of suit that doesn't give you that dress look that starts below your bust line...
Also, there are great suits online that are shorts, such as skortsuits or skortini's. I like them a lot as well. One of my favorites is on Onestopplus.com. They have a bunch on there that are like this. They usually fit bigger!:thumbsup2
I hope you find something you like!!

Do you have a local Fashion Bug? I got my swimsuits from them last year, and they're great. They are tankini style, and the bottoms are skirted (with built-in swim briefs. The top covers you completely, and come in many different styles.

I have a lands end suit. It is a 2 piece halter top with a skirt bottom. The skirt bottom is strait and not very skirty and it has the tummy control in it so it sucks everything in. I have had it for 3 years now and it looks brand new still, so I would say worth the money.

thanks for the replys...the nearest fashion bug is about 50 miles away but I will go try wall mart and see what I can find. Fingers crossed!:)

For those looking for awesome shoes to wear that also look really cute...Have I got a pair for you! Now normally I wear Adidas shoes, but I am almost 30 now and thought it was about time I try something else. So my husband let me buy some new shoes for my birthday. I searched high and low to find just the right pair that would be good for walking around the World and the Land. Well Zappos finally had the winner.

http://www.zappos.com/ahnu-benicia-ii-mood-indigo

I got these shoes a mere three days before we were to go to Disneyland for our anniversary. Well they felt awesome right from the second I put them on. Then the test...Disneyland, in the rain, from open to close on a Saturday! Well it wasn't until about 10pm that my feet actually started to hurt. It wasn't the shoes either, it was just my feet. I was about 275lbs when we went. The shoes held up perfectly and are still going strong to this day. Some people had said that the strap on top comes loose, but I have not had that problem at all. They look great with pants or skirts, with normal socks or little socks or no socks at all. They have good arch support and are a little on the wide side, but just right for giving your feet room to grow from walking all day long. I just love them. I plan to bring them on our trip to the World this November.

As for bags...I have finally found a bag that I just love. I am a bag fanatic! Zappos saved the day again.

http://www.zappos.com/sherpani-iris-backpack-chocolate

This backpack has just the right amount of space for all the little things I need and some big things too. The straps are nice. It looks cute, and doesn't make me feel like I am hiking with it on. The straps don't cut into my arms like many backpacks do. It is well balanced. I really like it. Now for taking it to the World this November I plan to treat it with water proofing so it won't get stained or wet while in rides with it. It is just the right size to be a little more than a purse. I really like having a backpack now even though I have been a shoulder bag person for a long time because I noticed it was really throwing my hips off. So I have converted to a backpack. But with this one I don't feel like I am going to be out for like 3-4 days in it like with most backpacks!

My piece of advice of the day....GET A LOCKER!! We did this for the first time at Disneyland, CA this February. It was the best thing ever! We didn't have to fumble with our bags everywhere and we could go back to it at any time. We plan on getting a locker everyday while in the World because we can store the things we won't need all the time there and not have to worry about them being stolen or getting too sore from lugging them around.

I hope this helps! It sure helped us. Good luck!

I must say I found this thread so helpful. Thanks to everyone for the great tips. I am a 22/24 and have been for years. Here are some things I have tried:

Shoes- Last year we went in May and i wore my Birkenstocks (which i have faithfully worn for years, everywhere we go). My feet hurt so bad after one day:sad2:, so I switched to my Nike flip flops:thumbsup2. They were a life saver and no more sore feet. That would have never been my first choice of shoes but I already have them packed for our trip in May. I would love to try TEVA's but I am afraid to spend the money on something I may not like since I have to order online:confused3.

Swimming Suit- As for a swimming suit, I love Avenue:love:. I am not a big fan of skirted suits, but I had no choice since I don't like the unskirted ones any longer.

Bag for the park- My bag of choice last year was a Vera Hipster:goodvibes. It was great. This year I am taking a Vera Mini Hipster. I carried it last weekend to an Amusement Park and loved it. It was very light and very comfortable.

I must say I found this thread so helpful. Thanks to everyone for the great tips. I am a 22/24 and have been for years. Here are some things I have tried:

Shoes- Last year we went in May and i wore my Birkenstocks (which i have faithfully worn for years, everywhere we go). My feet hurt so bad after one day:sad2:, so I switched to my Nike flip flops:thumbsup2. They were a life saver and no more sore feet. That would have never been my first choice of shoes but I already have them packed for our trip in May. I would love to try TEVA's but I am afraid to spend the money on something I may not like since I have to order online:confused3.

Swimming Suit- As for a swimming suit, I love Avenue:love:. I am not a big fan of skirted suits, but I had no choice since I don't like the unskirted ones any longer.

Bag for the park- My bag of choice last year was a Vera Hipster:goodvibes. It was great. This year I am taking a Vera Mini Hipster. I carried it last weekend to an Amusement Park and loved it. It was very light and very comfortable.

Yay, I love hearing that you like the hipster...I am buying my mom a mini hipster for mothers day and giving it to her when we get there on the 15th! She likes to carry little purses like that in the park and loves VW! I am glad to hear they are good!!!

I found that most of the swimsuits in the stores for plus size tankini tops have a wierd band under the breasts so it made the rest of of top stick way out over the stomach.

Hey stores - I want to minimize the stomach not enlarge it. :rotfl:

I love Lands End tankinis. They have nice tummy-sucking in swim minis.

I recently broke down and bought some Teva Mush flip flops and I now live in them! My feet always hurt which I've just accepted as part of my weight issue but I decided to try out some of the shoes DISers rave about and see if they helped. First I got some Keens and love love love them. But when the weather is warm I just can not bear to put real shoes on my feet so I needed some flip flops. I really didn't expect the Teva's to be as great as everyone says they are, their just flip flops after all. :confused3

Boy was I wrong! I love these shoes and while I plan to take my Keens to WDW just in case my Teva mush are my go to shoes. I do think they run a little small- the size 9 fit me but they just fit, a little bigger wouldn't have hurt at all so next time I'll probably get 9 1/2.

Just a note about Avenue swimsuits. Avenue is where I buy most of my clothes and I love them. However, last year I bought two swimsuits from them. Would have loved them except the cup area of the swimsuit seemed to have been stitched with a fishing wire. :eek: It was a hard plastic kind of stitching that hurt like crazy when I wore it. After about 10 minutes of having the top on, I had to change. So just a word to the wise, check the stitching in the suits you choose. FWIW, I bought a swimsuit from Avenue this year and it was different stitching.

I noticed that too! Luckily, the boning didn't bother me until about a year after I bought it and it started coming out because of a small hole. I took it out but it doesn't have much support anymore so I had to buy a new one!

I bought my swimsuit last year at AJ Wright. It was one of those moments where you just happen to look in the right place at the right time and find something you like that fits you :rotfl: It's got this little strip of cloth that goes around my waist, but doesn't really look like a swimdress.

I would love to try TEVA's but I am afraid to spend the money on something I may not like since I have to order online:confused3.

If you are afraid to dole out too much money, I would check Sierra Trading Post. They often have Teva Mush, Terra-Fi, and others discounted and they usually have coupon codes.

I also wanted to report back on my recent Land's End purchase. I bought 2 polo shirts and a tunic t-shirt. I LOVE them!! the polos are cut for a woman, but not tight at all and they are plenty long. The tunic t-shirt is awesome! The sleeves are right to the elbow and they are very long! My lower belly is the part I hate most and this covers it nicely!

I'm from the UK so my clothing sources won't help you much ... but I survive the parks in cropped combats, my adidas superstar sneakers, and t shirts.

As far as a bag is concerned I swear by Kipling ... I'm not sure how easy they are to get in the USA but I noticed on my trip at Easter that the Prime Outlet Mall on International Drive has a store so you can get them!

In response to the poster who asked where can you get plus size at Disney - both the Disney Outlet at Premium Outlets and Prime Outlets has a designated plus size rail - I didn't see anything I liked this trip but have picked up both resort and park t shirts there. I did get my Dad a Beach Club polo this trip in a 3XL, and the bonus is it was a fraction of the price (oh I bought a hooded sweatshirt from the unisex stuff!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter