• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Everything Pooh Sized Thread

I'm totally with Amy on this one...I love and swear by Monistat's chafing relief powder-gel. Every pooh sized woman that I have told about it loves it too! And of course, I learned about it on the Disboards when I was planning a trip to WDW! :thumbsup2

We went to Universal one summer and even though I had a great time, the chafing on my inner thighs got so bad that I was crying at night and by the last day I was walking like I had rode a horse for a week straight. So two years later, with me roughly the same weight, we went to Disney. Total and complete difference with the chafing gel! I put it on under the girls and on my inner thighs. I threw it in my pack and if I needed to I would put on more during the day, but it's really long lasting. I love it!

I am a generous pooh-sized 24 and after a recent cruise which gave me some insight as to what I needed on vacation, I have planned as follows:

Shoes - I ordered Mary-Jane style Crocs online from their website - for me, nothing feels as good as a Croc shoe, no matter how unattractive they may be sometimes! I also ordered my son a new pair that he will wear everyday (not only at Disney but for the whole summer! He loves them!)

Clothes - I went to Ross, Old Navy, Target, Wal-Mart, and Cato and bought shirts and capris. I don't wear shorts so I stick to capris and comfort is my goal! Cotton blends in light color stretchy fabric.

Chafing/Sweating - I bought Monistat Chafe Relief (or whatever it is called!) and Band-aid Friction Block since I could not find body-glide anywhere around me. I also am bringing a bottle of baby powder and some pantie liners for moisture control! (Let's face it, it's a reality when walking in hundred degree with 100 pounds extra attached to you!)

Bag - I am bringing a regular backpack and a side slung backpack - not sure which one I'll carry since I will have 2 kids to carry them also. I will also have a camera case around my neck, I found in the Bahamas this was the easiest and best "purse" to carry as it held my money, camera, room key, etc. If I didn't need the water bottles, chapstick, sunblock, fan misters, chafe block, etc. I would not carry the backpack!!

I am still concerned with getting on rides and walking sooooo much! Obviously at 100 lbs overweight my idea of walking is to the mailbox and back! I think I will be renting an ECV for Epcot because I seriously will NOT be able to enjoy myself walking that far, plus I would ruin it for my kids when I want to go back to the room after 2 hours! So at Epcot (at least) I will be rolling around in a scooter! :cool2:

I'm coming in a little late to this thread, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

For bathing suits, my favorite site is Junonia.com. I'm very Pooh-sized, size 32/34 and carry my weight in my hips/thighs. I have found bathing suits on Junonia, both one piece and two piece, that come almost to my knees, and look really great. I love them since they cover the evil upper thigh area. They aren't cheap, but superior quality. They also have lots of other active clothing for plus size women as well. Great site.

As a pooh sized girl, size 24 and 5'9", I was so excited to see this thread. I don't have much trouble with shorts riding up - I carry most of my weight around my middle, guess I'm an apple and not a pear?? Any pair of shorts will do for me and I love my crocs. I have been suprised to find that I am more comfortable in them barefoot in the parks than with socks on. This also helps for rainstorms or wet rides. I always wear ponchos on wet rides because I can't STAND to have wet shorts and undies. I have a great fanny pack that I got at Walmart. My local Walmart still stocks them and they are cheap - look for the fanny pack with the clip on waistband extender. I wear it over my tummy and with shift it around to my side or back depending on what ride I am on. Does anyone do the parks in a sundress? I find in my non Disney life that I am sometimes cooler in a sundress than in shorts and a T. I am a little concerned about chafing and just wonder if I would feel comfortable climbing off and on rides etc. in a dress. :upsidedow

Hi everyone! Disney is a wonderful place for pooh sized folks. I am 18/20, my daughter was size 28 when we went in 2008. She wore her Rainbow flip flops (but she practically lives in those during the summer) I wore New Balance walking shoes. I carried an over body bag from Rosetti. My DD carried a Nike backpack, the kind with strings & very lightweight material....she was very comfortable with it.

She had to turn sideways to fit through the turnstiles at MK (we had read about those). The only ride problem we had was on Kali River Rapids. There are 2 seats together and the strap fits across both people. We tried to sit beside each other and the belt would not buckle...sadly the CM was yelling at us to buckle and we could not....needless to say it was not pleasant. So, if you want to ride it, then make sure you tell the person at the stand that you will need a seat just for you or just add one to the total in your party. It would also probably work if you had a small child to ride with. No problems at all on any other rides!

Thanks for this tip! My husband has been more than reluctant to spend the $ for a Disney vacation because he is afraid he will not be able to go on any of the rides with me and would be Grumpy (to say the least) to spend a week waiting in lines with me and then not being able to ride stuff. He has a 56-58" waist/chest. He flies Southwest with a seatbelt extension, but can sit in one seat. He sticks out more than he is wide. I have FINALLY talked him into going (this will be his first trip to WDW, we've done DL here in CA a couple times) and am looking for all the "Pooh-sized" tips I can to help make him more comfortable about giving in. LOL

Thanks for this tip! My husband has been more than reluctant to spend the $ for a Disney vacation because he is afraid he will not be able to go on any of the rides with me and would be Grumpy (to say the least) to spend a week waiting in lines with me and then not being able to ride stuff. He has a 56-58" waist/chest. He flies Southwest with a seatbelt extension, but can sit in one seat. He sticks out more than he is wide. I have FINALLY talked him into going (this will be his first trip to WDW, we've done DL here in CA a couple times) and am looking for all the "Pooh-sized" tips I can to help make him more comfortable about giving in. LOL

Well I have been to WDW being several sizes in the last several years. The first time I went, I was about a size 16. I was able to ride everything I wanted to while we were there. I had no problems at all. The second time we went I was around a size 24-26 womens. I had a harder time with the roller coaster type rides that time. There was actually a couple rides I was turned away from because I could not fit in them. I also had a very hard time with the turn stiles that trip. I got stuck in a couple and had to work very hard to get out of it. It was quite embarrassing for me.

This February though, I did get to go with my husband to Disneyland and had lost quite a bit of weight and was down to about a 22 from a 30 at that point. I was able to fit on all the rides without any issue, and did not get stuck in any turn stiles at all. So I feel that this trip will be much better.

WDW has done some remodels recently from what I have heard and it has been almost three years since we have been there. I was told that if you feel concerned about the turn stiles you can go through any disabled entrance. You can easily go on all the rides that pregnant women and small children can go on. Some of the thrill rides might be a little harder depending on the type of restraint the ride has. The over head restraints will likely be a little harder if he is more top heavy. You can always check out what rides have what kind of restraints around online. I think AllEars.net has a list of them all.

Other than that...Just make sure to wear comfortable shoes and stay hydrated!

Hugs!

This information from allears helped ease a lot of my anxiety. Share it with your dh and see if it helps. I especially like the trip reports from the pooh sized travelers.

LisaCat, my DH is Pooh size and as you can see, we have quite a few WDW trips under our belt. He doesn't need a seatbelt extender (he carries it in the middle, but his hips are still skinny :confused3 LOL!) but he can't fit on basically anything at regular amusement parks. 2 things I can tell you... the turnstile at HM is TIGHT, you may want to tell the greeter at the front of the que that you want to use the handicap entrance (as my DH JUST fits turning sideways) and that Space Mountain is rough, but that is mostly because of his height. Any specific questions please let me know and I'll annoy him till he answers me :laughing: We go in August for a short trip, I'll try to do some posts on the Pooh sized perspective upon our return. Oh, and a lot of places have cars you can test out prior to boarding. 2 things you may find helpful... Passporter's Open Mouse (a book) and WDW at Large http://allears.net/tp/ridsiz.htm

Look at the Travelon crossbody bags on qvc.com. I have several different styles, and they have really long straps.

Hi! Here is a pic of my hubby from our trip last month. He wears a 3x-4x tshirt and a 50-52" waist. He goes on everything without a worry. THe only thing he hasnt been on the last few trips was Dumbo, Goofy's Barnstormer and the Tea Cups. Not because he couldnt fit(He has been on them before) but we just didnt get to them- not favorites. Seriously - my DH loves going to Disney because he doesnt have to worry about not fitting!! He doesnt like other amusement parks because of NOT fitting - Your DH will have a GREAT time in the Disney Parks....LOVE Rock - n - roller coaster!!! Expedition Everist is awesome too. A trick for seatbelt rides is pull out the seatbelt before and as you sit down so its easier to plug it in!! Have fun and dont worry!!
20100425_483.jpg

I would like to know how you other Pooh-sized folks beat the heat and exhaustion of a trip to Disney, particularly those of you who go in summer. Let's face it, the heat and walking are much, much harder on us than they are on Tigger types. Three years ago we went to Williamsburg, VA on a 102 F. day, and the next day I had some sort of seizure and ended up hospitalized for quite some time.:sick: They could never find any reason for it (despite every test in the book) other than dehydration and exhaustion. Now we're going to Disney this July and I'm terrified the same thing is going to happen. The problem is the rest of my family is in terrific shape and I push myself too hard to keep up with them. Common sense tells me to take it easy, drink, drink, drink, and use my mister/fan, but are there any other tips you can give me to make my vacation seem like a vacation and not like the Bataan Death March?;)

I would like to know how you other Pooh-sized folks beat the heat and exhaustion of a trip to Disney, particularly those of you who go in summer. Let's face it, the heat and walking are much, much harder on us than they are on Tigger types. Three years ago we went to Williamsburg, VA on a 102 F. day, and the next day I had some sort of seizure and ended up hospitalized for quite some time.:sick: They could never find any reason for it (despite every test in the book) other than dehydration and exhaustion. Now we're going to Disney this July and I'm terrified the same thing is going to happen. The problem is the rest of my family is in terrific shape and I push myself too hard to keep up with them. Common sense tells me to take it easy, drink, drink, drink, and use my mister/fan, but are there any other tips you can give me to make my vacation seem like a vacation and not like the Bataan Death March?;)

My DH is a Tigger type but suffered from heat stroke several years ago so he also has to be very careful. Your family should be aware that this is serious and once you have a heat related incident you are more succeptable (sp??) to another so you have to be careful. I am the pooh sized one but I worry just as much about him! :sick:

In addition to water bottles and mister fans we also bring wet bandanas that we put in ziploc bags. We can wrap them around our necks and you'd be surprised how much it cools you down. We also have touring plans so that we can get out of the heat into some air conditioned shows at regular intervals. And we take breaks in the afternoon during the heat of the day, head back to the resort to swim or relax in the room. Not only do we beat the heat we feel energetic for our evenings after an afternoon siesta. :thumbsup2

Take breaks as often as you need them. Drink lots and lots of water. Freeze a water bottle the night before, so that it slowly thaws throughout the day and you always have ice water. Don't be afraid to go into a restaurant and ask for a cup of ice water, either. They'll give it to you free of charge. Take advantage of air conditioned rides and shows (like Hall of Presidents, which is the COLDEST building at MK, or Carousel of Progress or Philhar) and the water rides. They sell these things that stay cold that you wrap around your neck, too. I forget what exactly they're called, but I did a Google search for 'cool neck wraps' and it pulled up a bunch of different companies. Also, wear a hat to protect your face and neck from the sun. It doesn't sound like much, but it really helps. Wear sunblock and bring it into the park with you to reapply later, since sunburn can make you feel hotter than you already are. I'm Pooh sized and used to work custodial CM at MK and was there from May to January, so I got quite used to dealing with the heat.

Above all, remember to stay hydrated and take breaks when you need them!

On our last trip we went the beginning of August! It was H-O-T! So we went to the parks at the park opening and then either had a nice sit down meal in the hottest part of the day, or went back to the room in the afternoon for a nap. Then we would go back to the park in the evening or hit the rides again. This really helped. It also helped to sit where ever possible. Those mister fans can really help a lot. Listen to your body and take it easy as much as you can. Get cold drinks when you can. I would suggest freezing a water bottle at night as well as getting one of those cooling bandannas you can get at REI. They are really great. Wear good shoes that are made for lots of walking and standing. Maybe you could look into getting a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) from Guest services. You can look in the Disabilities forum for more info on that. But it might help you to be able to sit somewhere instead of having to stand in the stuffy lines.

Make sure that you let your family know about what happened before. You need to be able to take it easy. If that means you all need to split up into groups, then that is what you should do.

Hugs! Good luck to you!

Okay, so how about a bra question? Men, shield your eyes, this ain't gonna be pretty.

I'm an underwire kind of gal normally, but the thought of having that rub up against me all day long in the trillion-degree heat just makes me groan. Any pooh-gals want to chime in on over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder choices for Disney? I'm thinking I'd like to go underwire-free or with a sports bra, but then again, I don't want the girls bouncing around, injuring small children, etc. I also wonder if a sports bra would be too hot, given the extra material. Also, I did just find a moisture-wicking bra (!) from Hanes. IIRC, it's a sports bra.

Insight warmly welcomed.

I like the no-wire bras from Lane Bryant. They fit well, offer good support, and are usually only $16 each. TMI, but I use deodorant/antiperspirant under "the girls" on hot days. Works like a charm!

I love all of the tips on this thread, so I wanted to add something.

On Woman Within you can get 50% off of the higher priced item when you order 2 items-that might be a first time customer special :confused3 Anyway, I used this yesterday to get myself a swimsuit and a pair of cargo shorts that convert from bermudas to regular shorts.

This is the suit I picked up and I'm really hoping it does the trick, I have areas I want covered :rotfl: (of course they show a Tigger person wearing it, but I think it will work)

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing...uctTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0#pr-header-18168__1

I stopped in Dress Barn Woman today on a whim.

They are getting in some great light weight pretty shirts. I picked up a shirt like a tank top with 3 thin floaty layers in white with black, pink flowers and some green. It fits really nice and looks great on. It's also much lighter weight than regular tank tops.

I also picked up a salmon tank top that was in one of the pictures on the wall. It has a slash look, comes with a detachable necklace and is also very light weight. It's another one that looks really good when you try it on.

I sure was glad I stopped in today.

We Pooh Sized DISers know that we sometimes have to tackle touring the World a little differently than everyone else.

That cute bag everyone is praising on the bag threads? DI we know if it will "fit" us? Is the strap long enough? Will it sit right on Pooh sized hips? Or be stuck in an armpit? :confused3

Are those REALLY the most comfortable shoes when you are lugging around 50 plus more pounds? :goodvibes

Best place to buy Plus sized swimwear? Clothing? Best type to get? :wizard:

Let's all share how WE plan, pack and purchase for Disney! We all KNOW there is nothing like the DIS to find people who are/have been in the same boat! Let's help each other...and make it easier to find/ask! :lovestruc
Bag-I stayed away from the bagalini for years, but it really is the best. I also love my Vera Bradley hipster. My backsack is also nice because it avoids my front.
no riders are patches you put on the inside of your shorts so they do not ride up. I love them. They have a website, noriders.com They cost about $3 a pair.
Ooh, cool.
This is a great thread!

I am a size 22. My park bag is an Overland Donner. It has a very long adjustable strap so I can sling it across my body. I don't even have to take it off on most rides.

For shoes, I wear Teva Terra-Fi's. I am not a flip flop wearer and sneakers make my feet too hot. I also need something supportive because I have flat feet and these
work!

I am a Body Glide user as well. I use it on feet and thighs.

I buy most of my shorts and capris at Old Navy. They only sell plus sizes online but I've never had an issue. I've also bought at Land's End.

As for swimsuits, I bought my current suit at www.alwaysforme.com They have a great selection and great service.
In addition to the body glide, I really prefer the Monistant anti-chafing cream for my thighs.
Anyone have suggestions on where to find plus-size Disney tees? DH and I are both Pooh sized, and I was disappointed with the limited selection at the Disney store site. DH is a 4x (6'2'' and about 325), and I am a 22/3X womens or 2X unisex (5'6'', 220 pounds, 44G chest). I'd like to find a few before we go down in November.

Also, where is the best spot to find them in the parks?
I've seen a plus size section in the big WoD.
Okay, so how about a bra question? Men, shield your eyes, this ain't gonna be pretty.

I'm an underwire kind of gal normally, but the thought of having that rub up against me all day long in the trillion-degree heat just makes me groan. Any pooh-gals want to chime in on over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder choices for Disney? I'm thinking I'd like to go underwire-free or with a sports bra, but then again, I don't want the girls bouncing around, injuring small children, etc. I also wonder if a sports bra would be too hot, given the extra material. Also, I did just find a moisture-wicking bra (!) from Hanes. IIRC, it's a sports bra.

Insight warmly welcomed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter