The Intersection of FIRE and Disney

anyone want to share their expenses in 2018?
I'll play this one :)

• $ 4,638 - HOUSING (includes mortgage interest, property taxes & insurance)
  • $ 1,889 - TRANSPORTATION (includes all public trans, gas, auto maint. costs offset by mileage reimbursements from work)
  • $ 3,340 - UTILITIES (water, gas, electric)
  • $ 2,242 - COMCAST CABLE/INTERNET
  • $ 0 - TRAVEL (we took
    $12,048.78 in trips which were completely offset by CC points and loyalty programs)
  • $ 12,599 - HEALTH & LIFE INS. (cost of employer health care and numerous life policies)
  • $ 3,892 - GROCERIES ($324 per month for a family of 4)
  • $ 2,151 - NECESSITIES (broad category of necessary expenses, clothes, toiletries, etc.)
  • $ 721 - RESTAURANTS (proud to avg only $60 per month in this category)
  • $ 11,610 - MISC DISCRETIONARY (everything that doesn't fit above and all discretionary - i.e. could be cut in a job loss situation
  • $ 43,082 - SUBTOTAL ANNUAL EXPENSES
I know the Comcast sticks out as a major expense but we enjoy sports, we enjoy shows and the internet works well for me as I work at home 3-4 days a week.

In addition to the above items we also spend $15,580 on one major house item. We replaced a failing retaining wall. Since this should have a 25+ year life I wouldn't include it in our normal annual expenses. It does affect my savings rate for the year as I can't ignore the expense however.

anyone want to share their expenses in 2018?

I budgeted for $3,500 a month but spent $53,000. Way over budget. This sounds bad but my budget didn’t include vacation costs. I would stash bank bonuses that I got for opening accounts into an account and used that for travel. Idk how I could account for this in MINT. Up the budget and income?

We also had some unexpected expenses. $500 car deductible for an accident. $500 in medicine costs that insurance didn’t cover. Had to buy a new MacBook (our old ones were 6 years old and instead of each getting one we decided to share to save money) I’m going to put electronic replacements in our new budget eventually. I also had about $2200 in credit card annual fees. Any idea how I should account for this? The cards always give me the cost back in the value. And Disney annual passes were $1000. I hope I can spend less next year. We did good sticking with the budget for the items I actually had listed. And the vacation stuff was mostly take care of with bank bonuses.

My budget beak down was:

Transportation- $355
Includes public transportation, car lease $100 and insurance and gas.
Phone $120
Internet $42
Utilities-$90
Student loan-$218
Fun-$400
Dining out- $100
Groceries-$400 (trying to get this down to $300 and I was successful the past few months)
Rent- $1730 (this is going up $100 in April)

Anyone want to provide a critique and any ideas to cut spending for 2019?
I account for credit card annual fees by placing them as a cost against a CC savings. I have a broad "other travel offset" category where I track small wins, gift card discounts, small cash back redemptions, etc. and it washes in there. I also have a 2MB spreadsheet with 20 sheets tracking all of our expenses for the past decade soooo I admit I'm a little crazy with how detailed I will track things like this LOL!

I get nervous critiquing anyone's plans, but hey you asked right?! The thing that jumps out at me is the rent at almost 50% of your budget. I know that $3500 isn't your actual income since this doesn't have the amount you are saving, but 50% seems like a lot. You could just include the vacation costs into your fun line, but just set aside that money until your vacation. Now that I've done some bank bonuses my emergency fund is all over the place. But my original savings account is CapitalOne360. I like it because I can set up multiple accounts. So within the one account I have sub accounts for things that I don't pay monthly, like a new car fund, real estate taxes, vacation. So maybe something like that for your technology. Maybe you should just add an additional line of annual fees to the monthly budget. But I get how you're saying that is hard because you end up getting those back.

Thanks for the critique! My rent payment makes me so sad every month when I pay it. We are in a HCOL area and I just can’t seem to get it down. We looked at other options in the $1300 range and the places were dumps. Roaches etc I saw when touring them. I also can’t do roommates. I really want to move out of the area soon the rent is crazy here and I’m not in love with the area. The $1730 includes valet trash, parking and sewer, water and gas at least lol. I was thinking of buying a condo which would be a few hundred cheaper a month for the mortgage but we don’t want to stay here long term. We could also move further out but the traffic is insane and SO likes he can take the metro and be to work in 20 mins.

I like the idea of multiple savings accounts. We have discover and I’m going to reach out to see if we can set up a lot to do things for tech replacements, vacation, credit card annual fees. Then when I get side hustle income and bank bonuses I can divide it into those.

I can't resist a game... put me in the FIRE curious camp
AdUBKptnHKNpgLnai5p4avfa4Fn7KQRd3m7F9UkX4I_ZyEUd3MaMcOhWaGec5K2KDReCrj4AjqWNBvAYs6ZBMsp9OExRtzdrtF7LsnvuMkayOgFxit1m2qz1dKXvHls81XYZZTJ1

Intro: I am 28, DH is 29. I started reading a lot of the financial sites when my student loans came due and I was trying to figure out if I should pay extra on them :) So I came across the FIRE idea then. We are not actively chasing it, but it is something DH and I have discussed. Our current plan/idea is to make good financial decisions and set ourselves up well, so that hopefully we will at least be FI. Work optional is the main thing - DH worries more about the RE part because his dream job is something he would be really passionate about, so we just want to be secure and not have to base decisions off having to keep a job we don’t like until our 60s.

1. Contribute to get 401k match - free money!
2. Pay down CC Debt - luckily we’ve never had any CC debt. The Debt is an Emergency article is the first one I read on MMM, and that whole take really resonated with me personally. I think too many people think of it as ‘normal’ even some I know.
3. Pay Ahead on Student Loans - we paid ours off a little over a year ago and it just made us so happy to get rid of them vs having $1000 in payments for 10 years. That put us at 5 and 7 years ahead of schedule and saved us over $12k in interest. We had interest rates ranging from 3.5% to 8%
4. Pay ahead on auto loan - we are about to pay off my auto loan. This wasn’t the best decision based on the numbers, as it’s a 0% loan, but it was more about reducing our monthly payments and it was lower/within easier reach than the other one that has a 3% interest rate
5/6/7. Max 401k/HSA/IRA - basically working on how to balance this now… This year I maxed my 401k, though that wasn’t planned or expected, I just worked a ton. I put $3000 in my HSA plus $1025 from my employer. DHs 401k was at the minimum 3% until a couple months ago, so I think he’ll have put around $2500 in his. No IRAs here. I think I’ve figured we should contribute to get the employer match, then max an IRA if fees are less than 401k, then back to 401k… but I can’t figure out where to put an HSA in this. Do any of you with HSAs have any insight? :) I’ve got a 401k from a previous employer with just under $2000 in it that I need to do something with too.
8/9. Extra Mortgage Payments/Liquid Savings - Probably split this in some way when we'd get to that point. We don't have a house yet but our first will probably be a starter home, so this is a ways down the line for us and may mean extra mortgage payments are not the way to go.

These will shift a bit for us as things change. I think I’m one of those people who is happier balancing some of this stuff vs putting every spare penny in just one pot. For example, while we paid off our student loans we also saved all of the cash needed for our wedding/honeymoon, saved towards a house downpayment, and saved about $32k in 401ks/HSA over the twoish years. That just made me feel better that other things were progressing at set amounts each month while every penny beyond that tackled the loans. We currently live with my in-laws, which obviously helps. We don’t have $0 living expenses, we contribute a lot, but it is way less than it would be if we were in an apartment (a one bedroom is running $1400 and up typically). We would like to buy, but the market has been pretty crazy, plus 25-30% of our income is from OT/commissions so if I base a mortgage payment off our base salaries, it’s hard to find anything in that price range.

Families influences on these views/financial matters in general? That could be a novel just based on me! I can do it if anyone’s interested… I’ve had a lot of crap going on around me :)

DH and I have gone down the battle of the numbers a time or two. Once was for the bi-weekly mortgage another the other was for DVC and lastly for travel hacking. My math won each time because his numbers wound up being "alternative facts and fake news" simply based on knee-jerk inaccurate pre-conceptions of how stuff works.
AuOWncHwLrdRlLZRaZqHk9mhHA3dppUaZ6adY4fzRi07ub2G5w_V41KjY_IdQQo6JqpvR5WUEUZoPJO2kiL7HYSO9jI1_O8aXtG5jkYVeZ495DIw434Uo8Izb12XedF8V4m3L592
I like how you phrased this as a battle of the numbers :rotfl: DH and I went through things a few times, not always agreeing. It was mostly the same as yours - fake news/ideas from coworkers, etc that he had and I re-educated him showing him facts and figures to back it up. Now when I bring something up typically his response is, Please explain this to me because you’re better at this stuff than I am. :thumbsup2

• $ 1,889 - TRANSPORTATION (includes all public trans, gas, auto maint. costs offset by mileage reimbursements from work)
  • $ 0 - TRAVEL (we took
    $12,048.78 in trips which were completely offset by CC points and loyalty programs)
  • $ 12,599 - HEALTH & LIFE INS. (cost of employer health care and numerous life policies)
  • $ 2,151 - NECESSITIES (broad category of necessary expenses, clothes, toiletries, etc.)
  • $ 11,610 - MISC DISCRETIONARY (everything that doesn't fit above and all discretionary - i.e. could be cut in a job loss situation
I know the Comcast sticks out as a major expense but we enjoy sports, we enjoy shows and the internet works well for me as I work at home 3-4 days a week.

In addition to the above items we also spend $15,580 on one major house item. We replaced a failing retaining wall. Since this should have a 25+ year life I wouldn't include it in our normal annual expenses. It does affect my savings rate for the year as I can't ignore the expense however.

Love how low your expenses are. Your grocery bill of $324 a month really inspires me to get mine down from $400 for the two of us. Although I do include toiletries in mine.

Your restaurant category is also super low. How often do you eat out? I budget for one takeout food meal a week and then most of my fun money goes to sit down restaurant meals. I can try next year to do one eat out meal a week that would save a lot.

Also, for healthcare is that what you pay or that’s what your employer pays? Our parents employer pays for our insurance so I don’t have that in the budget but that will be an added expense when I FIRE.

I also had about $2200 in credit card annual fees. Any idea how I should account for this? The cards always give me the cost back in the value.
We use YNAB. I have a line for travel money... I put in $100 a month, and then anything miscellaneous goes in there too like bank bonuses, swagbucks, maybe birthday gift money, RMN, etc etc. Then I have a line for CC annual fees. I don't usually budget anything into here, just when they come up I pay them with money from the travel money category. But having them as a line item means YNAB easily adds up how much I paid in fees for the year.

We use YNAB. I have a line for travel money... I put in $100 a month, and then anything miscellaneous goes in there too like bank bonuses, swagbucks, maybe birthday gift money, RMN, etc etc. Then I have a line for CC annual fees. I don't usually budget anything into here, just when they come up I pay them with money from the travel money category. But having them as a line item means YNAB easily adds up how much I paid in fees for the year.

I need to get this. I’m just so lazy and don’t want to go and re-link all my accounts and figure out how to use it but I’m determined to do it next week. It seems like you can manipulate numbers and categories easier than MINT.

• $ 0 - TRAVEL (we took

HTH is your housing SOOOOO low? That's like $400/mo!

...The Debt is an Emergency article is the first one I read on MMM, and that whole take really resonated with me personally. I think too many people think of it as ‘normal’ even some I know...

...pay off my auto loan. This wasn’t the best decision based on the numbers, as it’s a 0% loan, but it was more about reducing our monthly payments and it was lower/within easier reach than the other one that has a 3% interest rate...
I love these two snips of your comment.

1) Debt is an Emergency is one of the single greatest things MMM ever wrote. It is amazing. If people haven't read it...check it out: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/04/18/news-flash-your-debt-is-an-emergency/

2) Pay off auto loan - I love the logic there. One of the reasons we paid ours off when we last had one back in 2015 was because it was one less monthly payment we'd have going forward. I did this when we cleared some funds through some severance payments from a job loss. I figured in the future if I lost a job having LESS monthly obligations would be a good thing (i.e. less to stress about). I never went without a paycheck so my multiple job losses are laughable, but I have lost my job 3 times technically in the last 4 years, lol.

Last edited:

• $ 0 - TRAVEL (we took

$4638 for housing/year?! That's crazy and awesome! My property taxes alone are $3800.

Love how low your expenses are. Your grocery bill of $324 a month really inspires me to get mine down from $400 for the two of us. Although I do include toiletries in mine.

Your restaurant category is also super low. How often do you eat out? I budget for one takeout food meal a week and then most of my fun money goes to sit down restaurant meals. I can try next year to do one eat out meal a week that would save a lot.

Also, for healthcare is that what you pay or that’s what your employer pays? Our parents employer pays for our insurance so I don’t have that in the budget but that will be an added expense when I FIRE.
We just don't eat out. We probably order 2-3 pizzas a month at $7ish each. We may go out for a sit-down family meal once every 2 months or so. Any eating-out done on vacation (and there is a lot of it since we take 4-5 trips a year) goes into my travel category.

Healthcare is about 50% of the number (the other 50% is numerous life insurance premiums I have as a diversification strategy). That healthcare is ONLY my contribution and our OOP expenses. I acknowledge that I may have a gap here if we were to retire early and would need to assume this number would grow.

HTH is your housing SOOOOO low? That's like $400/mo!
$4638 for housing/year?! That's crazy and awesome! My property taxes alone are $3800.
Our prop taxes are about $2,800 of that number. Homeowners is about $600. The rest is ONLY mortgage interest. We also have about $6,000 in mortgage principal that I classify as savings (so if you wanted to include that it would be closer to $11k). However in 3 years or less we will eliminate the mortgage altogether meaning we can continue to live in our house for about $3,500 or less (I can't even begin to describe the peace of mind that gives me).

We just don't eat out. We probably order 2-3 pizzas a month at $7ish each. We may go out for a sit-down family meal once every 2 months or so. Any eating-out done on vacation (and there is a lot of it since we take 4-5 trips a year) goes into my travel category.

I wish I had the restraint not to eat out. Also, I miss NY and ordering a $12 pizza on the weekend which would be enough for us for two meals. Also, $3 to get bagels. Now I can’t eat that stuff in VA. Lol we would also get Chinese for $20 in NY but I can’t eat that here either.

We typically do Panera or chipotle for about $20 a meal. Occasionally I’ll use my fun money and get fast food when I’m craving it.

I do like going to sit down restaurants tho too but we have cut back on this SO is prefers to be home after work so maybe we go to a sit down restaurant twice a month. It’s actually probably more than that I don’t want to look lol

I need to get this. I’m just so lazy and don’t want to go and re-link all my accounts and figure out how to use it but I’m determined to do it next week. It seems like you can manipulate numbers and categories easier than MINT.
I started with MINT, I feel like it has some good features plus is free. But I love YNAB so much more. It is easily worth the $50ish a year, though I wish I'd gotten in when it was a one time cost vs subscription. I hate that everything is going to a subscription.
I love these two snips of your comment.

1) Debt is an Emergency is one of the single greatest things MMM ever wrote. It is amazing. If people haven't read it...check it out: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/04/18/news-flash-your-debt-is-an-emergency/

2) Pay off auto loan - I love the logic there. One of the reasons we paid ours off when we last had one back in 2015 was because it was one less monthly payment we'd have going forward. I did this when we cleared some funds through some severance payments from a job loss. I figured in the future if I lost a job having LESS monthly obligations would be a good thing (i.e. less to stress about). I never went without a paycheck so my multiple job losses are laughable, but I have lost my job 3 times technically in the last 4 years, lol.
I wanted to send the Debt is an Emergency article to everyone I know! But I know many wouldn't appreciate that haha. But I will send it to those that ask. Hair on fire! I mentioned to a friend the other night that I was about to pay off my car loan, as we were talking about the ridiculous housing costs of my area vs hers back in my hometown, and she was like, but you'll always have payments... Nooooooooo :) Though she did tell me she started getting mailers from the dealership her car is from trying to get her back in to upgrade her car 2 years into her repayment and how that was crazy, so there's some hope. I think less monthly obligations is best. We will probably pick a number for DHs car loan that is above the payment and just do that every month. And if he gets some of his big jobs that are on the line, we may put a lot of that towards his car.

I cannot identify with HCOL areas :crazy2:. This number is painful for me to read, LOL! :rotfl2: It's just hard for me to comprehend :scratchin (not saying it's wrong...just not something I've ever personally experienced).

It’s awful. At least in NY the high rent is worth it and you are in the best city in the world lol. Here, mehhhhh. I don’t plan on being here long term lol

I'm reading this and slightly jealous of y'all.

I became a single mom this year. In the divorce I kept the house, because truthfully I pay about the same on this mortgage as I would for a 2 bedroom apartment in our area. I got to take $9k in credit card debt as well (we split 50/50). It's kinda amazing, I've been flying solo on expenses since June. There used to be nearly an additional $100K in our budget...yet we lived paycheck to paycheck some months. And I was the one with the spending issue supposedly, LOL.

I'm a teacher with 20 lovely years in. I won't complain as I get paid kinda decent. I mean decent enough to keep floating the $300k house, the SUV, the travel sports, etc. But I am also not saving anything. All my "retirement" eggs are in the pension I have. I don't have any other retirement accounts. The kids have small 529's. I've ran the numbers, I'll have enough years/age to retire in 7 years....when my 13yo is in the midst of college and my 9yo is gearing up to enter as well. As much as I'd like to think he'll be getting a hockey scholarship, I'm sure we'll be paying. I think if I walk in 7 years and start to collect immediately I'm looking at $45k/yr.....which will likely be about 1/2 what I'm used to at the time. So it would be a HUGE adjustment. Of course there's always the option of getting some "fun" job to supplement expenses. I just wonder, knowing that I'm not able to really save right now (single income, and cutting costs where I can w/o punishing the kids, I'm not moving, I'm already in a super cheap SUV payment, etc), and I doubt save much in the future....is it even possible for me to figure out how to live on the $45k just as college expenses are coming up for both. If you know anything about teaching....well I'm shocked I made it 20 years, LOL....I teach HS!!!

Ideally once my son graduates I would be selling the house and downsizing. But I would likely stay in the area which is $$$, so not so sure on the cost savings there. I'd love to think I only have 7 years left in this nightmare, I mean chance to shape young people's lives.....(kidding most days I DO like it).

It’s awful. At least in NY the high rent is worth it and you are in the best city in the world lol. Here, mehhhhh. I don’t plan on being here long term lol
What area are you in again? Denver COL has been increasing at a ridiculous rate that makes me want to run away. Also there's been a lot of school system issues which makes me not want to send kids to school here.

I started with MINT, I feel like it has some good features plus is free. But I love YNAB so much more. It is easily worth the $50ish a year, though I wish I'd gotten in when it was a one time cost vs subscription. I hate that everything is going to a subscription.

I wanted to send the Debt is an Emergency article to everyone I know! But I know many wouldn't appreciate that haha. But I will send it to those that ask. Hair on fire! I mentioned to a friend the other night that I was about to pay off my car loan, as we were talking about the ridiculous housing costs of my area vs hers back in my hometown, and she was like, but you'll always have payments... Nooooooooo :) Though she did tell me she started getting mailers from the dealership her car is from trying to get her back in to upgrade her car 2 years into her repayment and how that was crazy, so there's some hope. I think less monthly obligations is best. We will probably pick a number for DHs car loan that is above the payment and just do that every month. And if he gets some of his big jobs that are on the line, we may put a lot of that towards his car.
Agreeg!! My theory on the car was that while paying ahead on my mortgage could've saved more at the time...completely eliminating a payment is awesome (especially when viewed in light of a temporary job loss or something along those lines). I can't go back to the mortgage company and say remember that extra money I paid 2 years ago...now I want to skip payments. But eliminating a $350 car payment means it is gone :)

That is awesome. My goal in life is to have minimal housing costs. But our property taxes are currently $6700/year. >:( We do not plan on retiring here though. I'd like to keep paying off our mortgage til it's gone and use that cash when we sell to downsize and move somewhere cheap and warm. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter