sarahothomas

Mouseketeer
My family and I are going to WDW 12/9-12/16. We are hoping to catch the premiere of The Last Jedi while we are there. I see that Disney did a ticketed premiere for The Force Awakens back in 2015 with access to HS afterwards. I didn't see anything for the Rogue One premiere in 2016 - was there any kind of premiere party for that?

The articles I read for the Force Awakens premiere were dated around early October 2015. Does Disney really wait that late to announce these kinds of things?! I was kinda hoping to plan/budget for this well in advance.

Regardless of when/if they make the announcement, I think it would be a really fun event to attend. Did anyone attend the 2015 or 2016 premieres at Disney?

Yes the 2015 event was announced I'd say in October and on sale in November if I remember correctly. It sold out fairly quick and lines were insane at Disney Springs. Hundreds lined up to pick up their tickets being handed out the morning of.

2016 no special event. The movie obviously shown at Disney Springs but nothing special that I recall.

No word on if they'll do anything special for this year. They should. If they do we likely won't know until around October

Yes the 2015 event was announced I'd say in October and on sale in November if I remember correctly. It sold out fairly quick and lines were insane at Disney Springs. Hundreds lined up to pick up their tickets being handed out the morning of.

2016 no special event. The movie obviously shown at Disney Springs but nothing special that I recall.

No word on if they'll do anything special for this year. They should. If they do we likely won't know until around October

Bummer that we have to wait so long. I agree they should do it again.

My family and I are going to WDW 12/9-12/16. We are hoping to catch the premiere of The Last Jedi while we are there. I see that Disney did a ticketed premiere for The Force Awakens back in 2015 with access to HS afterwards. I didn't see anything for the Rogue One premiere in 2016 - was there any kind of premiere party for that?

The articles I read for the Force Awakens premiere were dated around early October 2015. Does Disney really wait that late to announce these kinds of things?! I was kinda hoping to plan/budget for this well in advance.

Regardless of when/if they make the announcement, I think it would be a really fun event to attend. Did anyone attend the 2015 or 2016 premieres at Disney?
We are also hoping to see the premiere. Please share any info. if you find that it becomes available for booking...
We have spoken with cast members, and while they couldn't say for sure, they anticipate that they will do this for this premiere as well.

Are these tickets sold online at all, or generally only at the Disney Springs Theatre ?

Are these tickets sold online at all, or generally only at the Disney Springs Theatre ?

Idk if you're referring to the special ticketed event or just the regular movie tickets, but both were sold online. I believe the ticketed event was exclusively sold online (I'm not 100% sure if they were available at Disney ticket windows, but I don't believe they were available at the theatre itself). The regular movie tickets were of course available at the theatre as well as online

I was asking about the premiere party. When you purchase your tickets for that, are you given a specific viewing time, or do you get your viewing time for the movie when you show up in Springs to pick up the tickets? What time would you suggest getting to Springs to avoid the giant line-
Hypothetically, if there is another premiere ticketed event?

I was asking about the premiere party. When you purchase your tickets for that, are you given a specific viewing time, or do you get your viewing time for the movie when you show up in Springs to pick up the tickets? What time would you suggest getting to Springs to avoid the giant line-
Hypothetically, if there is another premiere ticketed event?

I believe everyone that bought the ticketed event tickets were given the same viewing time. They just had to go in the morning to get the tickets and be given their theater to view it in.

If I recall they started handing the tickets out in the morning and people were in line waiting super early. There's videos online people took showing the line that had to be about 300 people deep

We have spoken with cast members, and while they couldn't say for sure, they anticipate that they will do this for this premiere as well.

Well that's the most news I've heard about it so far! I will definitely post any info I find on this thread so those interested can keep up to date. Disney seems to be quite habitual. I'm sure we'll be kept waiting for information again, maybe until Sep or Oct.

I also want to avoid the giant line, of course. I'm sure we'll be given more specific instruction when we purchase the tickets.

Since this is our "off day" of the trip, we have a Plan B and C just in case this doesn't pan out. Either MVMCP or a day at Universal/IOA. We are huge Harry Potter fans as well and equally intrigued to see the new holiday decorations and activities in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley!

We did this in 2015. LOVED it. All tickets sold online to see the movie at the AMC Disney springs theater included the after party. Every theater showed the movie and the times were staggered over a 45 minute period. There were specific instructions on picking up your tickets the morning of the premiere and it did require pretty much the whole day for at least someone to be in line. I believe we were able to take a mid day break of a couple hours. It was very well organized and not confusing to know what you were supposed to do. We are going back this year and one of the reasons we booked our exact dates is we are hoping to do this again!! Warning: buying the tickets was the most frustrating thing. The site (I think it was Fandango) kept crashing and it took us probably 3 hours to finally book.

We did this in 2015. LOVED it. All tickets sold online to see the movie at the AMC Disney springs theater included the after party. Every theater showed the movie and the times were staggered over a 45 minute period. There were specific instructions on picking up your tickets the morning of the premiere and it did require pretty much the whole day for at least someone to be in line. I believe we were able to take a mid day break of a couple hours. It was very well organized and not confusing to know what you were supposed to do. We are going back this year and one of the reasons we booked our exact dates is we are hoping to do this again!! Warning: buying the tickets was the most frustrating thing. The site (I think it was Fandango) kept crashing and it took us probably 3 hours to finally book.

All day line?! Sheesh. I feel like we should be able to have everything mailed to us or maybe sent in an email.

Any idea how many tickets in total were sold? I remember reading that it sold out.

Also- how crowded did HS seem afterwards?

All day line?! Sheesh. I feel like we should be able to have everything mailed to us or maybe sent in an email.

Any idea how many tickets in total were sold? I remember reading that it sold out.

Also- how crowded did HS seem afterwards?

I never heard a confirmed attendance number but we guessed 10,000 or under. It was the total theater so it was limited by how many seats they have. Hollywood Studios was amazingly empty afterward and they rethemed Rock n Roller coaster with Star Wars music.

You wouldn't have had to stand in line all day if you weren't picky about your seat choice. Once you picked up your tickets the morning of, you were guaranteed a seat but they weren't assigned. We wanted our choice of seats and there are 11 of us, so we stood in line. :)

Last edited:
For our experience at the premiere, we did a lot waiting too. We were able to wait in the theater for most of the time (like noon to start of the movie). Which was pretty full early on. A few people came later but didn't always get seats together. But before that, we had to wait in a line that morning. Once you checked in (first line), you got your tickets and to get your number/place for the second line to your assigned theater. I think they had people check in to get tickets to prevent resales.? Which I do appreciate. If I recall it wasn't technically a Disney event, but an AMC event? I remember calling to ask a question and the CM said it wasn't officially their event. So WDW may not be in a hurry to release anything. For whatever it's worth, HS is closing at 6 on 12/16. It seems like an easy money maker for Disney so hopefully they'll do it

They might skip the movie all together and just do Galactic Nights on the 16th.
Since the movie will open on Thursday it makes no sense for them to add the movie to a Saturday event

When you were waiting in line - did they require you to have your entire party together to pick up the ticket? Or could 1 person pick up the tickets for their whole party? I am planning on purchasing 6 tickets myself.

Well that's the most news I've heard about it so far!
I wouldn't hang my hat on what a front line costumed CM says. Yes, I really did say that.
Disney seems to be quite habitual.
That has not been my experience when it comes to non regularly scheduled special events.
They might skip the movie all together and just do Galactic Nights on the 16th.
I get the feeling that there is no desire on Disney's part to repeat a SW movie Premier event. Being behind the scenes, I was able to get a sense of what was involved to coordinate, staff and facilitate the showing of the movie, transporting guests after the Premier, and putting on the event at DHS. Much easier to do it separately.

Will there be any special ticketed event for the premiere of The Last Jedi in December? TIA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter